Tennis Racket Brands - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #16
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tennis Racket Brands

My advice would be to buy a decent racket and not scrimp by buying a bottom of the line racket (but you don't need to overspend and buy a $200 one either).

IMHO, there's less difference at the low end than the high end of rackets.

Once you've had some lessons and played for a while, you'll know a bit about the quirks of your game--if you have a long, slow swing, a short fast one, a short slow one, etc. You'll also know if you are a baseliner or want to play an all-court game, and if you're going to play mostly singles or mostly doubles.

All of these factors will determine whether you want a light frame or a heavy one, a stiff one or a looser one, and whether you want the weight up at the top or back toward the handle.

But none of that matters while you're just figuring out how to get the ball over the net. Your teacher or a pro shop person should be able to recommend a good beginner's racket, and then after a few years you can dump it for a more serious stick.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #17
country flag larsson

larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
My advice would be to buy a decent racket and not scrimp by buying a bottom of the line racket (but you don't need to overspend and buy a $200 one either).

IMHO, there's less difference at the low end than the high end of rackets.

Once you've had some lessons and played for a while, you'll know a bit about the quirks of your game--if you have a long, slow swing, a short fast one, a short slow one, etc. You'll also know if you are a baseliner or want to play an all-court game, and if you're going to play mostly singles or mostly doubles.

All of these factors will determine whether you want a light frame or a heavy one, a stiff one or a looser one, and whether you want the weight up at the top or back toward the handle.

But none of that matters while you're just figuring out how to get the ball over the net. Your teacher or a pro shop person should be able to recommend a good beginner's racket, and then after a few years you can dump it for a more serious stick.
Thanks
larsson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #18
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Larsson - let me first say that Miffedmax gave some excellent advice! And is also 100% correct about everyone having their opinions of racquet brands without being right or wrong.

I strongly suggest demo-ing some racquets if you can. Keep in mind that it might take months or years to find the right one for you, because as you progress from a beginner level to a more advanced level, your racquet preferences will also change with your improved swing and control. In my experience, Prince was tough on my elbow because it felt very stiff, but it seemed to have lots of power. Head was light and comfortable and fit my hand very well, but although the control was very good, I had less power on the ball. The heavier Babolat is great for me now, but the one I play with requires me to do more of the 'work', which would be more of a challenge if I was just starting. These are not characteristics of the brands as much as characteristics of the individual racquet features.

My point is that every manufacturer will offer a good quality, middle of the road racquet with all-around playability, no matter which logo is painted on it. Like Miffedmax said, there are so many factors - strings, head size, stiffness, weight - until you develop your own style and can identify the elements of your game that are most important to you (spin, feel, power, comfort, etc), I think it's best to shop for one that is best for all-around players. Some of the tennis retailers, like Tennis Warehouse and Tennis Express have "racquet finder" tools that are good for doing research, even if you don't buy from them.

It can be frustrating at first, so if you have a demo program available, use it! Good luck with your decision and also with your tennis!
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
country flag larsson

larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all larsson is a name known to all

Cheers for the advice

I've watched tennis all my life but I have never really thought about playing it until now (I'm in my mid 20s)

I'm kinda nervous as well
larsson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #20
country flag KatrinaS

KatrinaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammywilson52 View Post
I don’t know much more about tennis racket brands but I found that Babolat Racket is the best.
Yeah I'm the same. Got recommended a Babolat by a friend and haven't looked back since I bought one.
KatrinaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #21
country flag tmc5005

tmc5005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not worry much about the brand I look at the spec's of individual racquets. Most brands make a few good racquets and a few that are not good. I look for racquets with the best feel, touch and control and don't worry about power because racquets built for power are bad for your arm if you want more power get an elastic string and lower the tension. I found a great list of the best racquets for tennis elbow at http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-racquet .
Good luck and keep playing with the right racquet tennis should be a sport for a lifetime!

Last edited by tmc5005 : Dec 21st, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
tmc5005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #22
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
I think that yes, the various brands have distinct personalities that are consistent across their frames. Since I'm a car buff, I'll compare them to those (US variants)

In my experience:

Wilson--the Honda of rackets. They really do pretty much everything well, even if they aren't great at any particular single aspect. Usually have moderately good feel, middling stiffness, if a Wilson isn't your favorite stick it's probably your second favorite stick.

Head--More like old-school Audis. Not to everyone's liking with some just plain weird engineering and feel, but if you like them and know how to control them, they are really good. I haven't played with them much (since I find the hard to use) but they give really immediate feedback--almost too much for me. At the same time, I find them a bit floppy, even the ones that are supposed to be stiff.

Prince--classic 'merican muscle, like a Camaro or Mustang. Floaty, not a lot of feel or feedback, but oodles of V-8 power no matter how crappy your swing is. Even their rackets that are supposed to be "control" rackets are more about power than control.

Babolat--Porsche. Not necessarily super better premium, but just that they take a basic racket (think the 911) and roll out 37 different customized versions of it that all have good stiffness and good feedback, but the power really does range from a 6 cyclinder that's pretty tepid up to triple-turbo charged models. I think that's the reason they're selling so well right now is that anyone can find a Babolat they like.

Just my opinions. The funny thing is another person will contradict everything I say, and be completely right without me being wrong. That's why you have to playtest rackets.
I loved this analogy too and, anyone on Dunlop racquets?

May the HAMMER smash the cross
Payam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #23
country flag Shanerio

Shanerio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to buy Tennis Equipment like tennis shoes, tennis rackets online.

Last edited by Shanerio : Oct 16th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Shanerio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote