2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 23 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #331
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future
Re: Petra shot down by Laura in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
And I don't even want to think what's going to happen once Dulgheru and Petkovic recover from their injuries

At least Petra should be safe from Sandra Zahlavova in foreseeable future.

Just kidding

BTW, I wouldn't mind if Petra vultured a bit like Aga did in the past and accummulate some points in Doha and Dubai. They will come handy.
The Petra in my head is always the one who beat Sharapova to win 2011 Wimbledon. What's happened since then has been just a great mystery.

Petra won't turn 23 until another month or so, she has time and she will resuscitate her career soon!
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #332
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
And I don't even want to think what's going to happen once Dulgheru and Petkovic recover from their injuries

At least Petra should be safe from Sandra Zahlavova in foreseeable future.

Just kidding

BTW, I wouldn't mind if Petra vultured a bit like Aga did in the past and accummulate some points in Doha and Dubai. They will come handy.
That's what I was thinking too. Since she bummed out early, she can play there to get some match rhythm,gain confidence and pick up some points before heading in the 'dreaded' NA hardcourts. She can pick those points up in the coming three months because she doesn't have to defend (no titles to defend till FO) a lot so please, Petra, don't break your promise.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #333
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
What excuses? You're funny, how can you know what results Petra will have in 2013? trying to make your argument just by saying that all i say is excuse for Petra is ridicilous. If she goes and reaches SF, SF and QF at next slams and wins three premier tournaments but along the way loses to some mugs like she can, will be inside TOP8 with let's say 47-14 record, you still will be saying this is a decline? She's been not impressive i give you that. Progression without consistency is nothing, in 2011 she gets her breakthrough inside top10 with a bang wining Wimby and YEC, in 2012 she has injuries but performs well enough to back up her Top10 place while producing her most consistent results at GSs in a year. How can you judge her consistency by such a small sample size of? maybe you should wait till tour returns to Europe when she will have enough matches to say was it decline or not. Last year she had great start of the season then had bad stretch during American summer then impressive clay results then not so impressive summer then gets and wins USO series and then has poor results toward end of the year, she always up and down. I find it funny how you judge decisively her entire year that doesn't happened yet by small sample size, you're not seer, she can easily go and have great stretch at American summer with backing up her clay swing results, you still will be saying this is decline too or not? You have fallen into trap of making conclusions way to early, like many other fans\analyst\whatever in any other sport. Just wait and see how everything unfolds, one thing that excites me in sport competition is players overcoming adversities but you sounds like we should just forget about Petra and move on.
You just don't get it, understand. And I respect your opinion and sentiments Shifty. I really do.

Nonetheless, Petra's level of play--tournament to tournament, so far this year--has been many levels below what it was the prior two seasons. It's not even close. That's what's so alarming.

What Petra does after, is left to be seen? However, you can't blame people for criticizing or worrying about her current level of play, especially following a very disappointing end of last season, with so many points and a reputation to defend this year. It is disconcerting. And it certainly won't help her confidence, which could place Petra in an even deeper tailspin.

We have no better clairvoyance powers than you. However, Petra's poor play, preparation and reduced confidence, are usually the recipe for continued bad tasting meals and results.

Last edited by Excelscior : Jan 17th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #334
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
The irony is: There were a few of us, that had not so great predictions on Petra's upcoming year, but were shot down for being too negative.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly understand that sentiment. And of course, Petra can be wildly unpredictable, so there is always some semblance of hope you can have for her--in upcoming tournaments.

However, it's also a fact that her results, level of play, and her teams operation are not up to the standard of the player many of us wish her to be.

As it appears: Only a run of confidence, and good play can get Petra back, close to even the levels she was playing last year.
I do agree with this. I try not to over hype a player at all. I will give them at least 2 years to see if that player should be worth the hype or not. Im a very tough sports fan, im usually tough on any player or any team or any faves i like. Thats just how i am. For people who love or to just overhype a player really needs to stop and think, is this player really worth the hype, is this player really that good enough to be mentioned as one of the best yet. Yes that person can have all the talent in the world but is this player really ready to accept all the hype and expectations from other sports fan? Now that is the question that should be asked.

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #335
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deestruction View Post
I do agree with this. I try not to over hype a player at all. I will give them at least 2 years to see if that player should be worth the hype or not. Im a very tough sports fan, im usually tough on any player or any team or any faves i like. Thats just how i am. For people who love or to just overhype a player really needs to stop and think, is this player really worth the hype, is this player really that good enough to be mentioned as one of the best yet. Yes that person can have all the talent in the world but is this player really ready to accept all the hype and expectations from other sports fan? Now that is the question that should be asked.
Petra was certainly worth the hype and excitement in 2011.

Not so much in 2012, but still quite promising.

Not at all in 2013. Her game has been to poor from 2011 and 2012 levels.

Nonetheless, we still hope for better results and/or changes or additions to her team in the future.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #336
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
How touching.

Sadly, it appears Petra is big on words and promises. But she's not, on the hard work, planning and preparation that leads up to it.

As many of you have said, 'it's not just going to happen magically, cause Petra wants it to'.
Ex, you're exactly right. I hate to sound like a downer, but I expected Petra to lose just given everything...and quite frankly, i'm tired of all the overly optimistic comments/excuses Petra keeps on making...saying that she had a great off season...and that her goals are just to keep on improving...i mean really...she's been saying this since 2011! ugh, she needs to get real and start thinking about what kind of tennis career she wants to have...

It's like...will this loss finally be the wake up call that Petra needs?!?! It just seems like she's not willing to put in the work and dedication to optimize her talent/skills. It's seeming more and more likely that Petra may have a Kuznetsova or Ivanovic like career...which is just too unfortunate...

And quite honestly, moving on to RG, I totally see Petra crashing out early...since she has sloppy footwork, can't anticipate well anymore, and has not learned how to slide...

Ugh...this is gonna be one dull 2013 season...it's gonna be Serena gobbling up all the big titles again w/ no resistance...just so, so boring...
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #337
country flag Losing Streak
Only Pova that matters~

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Petra! I couldn't watch the match as I fell asleep from exhaustion of staying up all night. What happened? Did she play like shit or did Laura play out of her mind? For some reason I was quite sensing a defeat against Laura but was trying to keep that at the back of my brain

Kichenoks Sasnovich Kremen Pervak Kovinic Bencic Vekic Diyas Bellis Svitolina Cirstea Mladenovic Garcia Pavlovic Rezai Jovanovski Mitu Savic Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #338
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of

We’ve heard it all today – so let me also throw this thought out there! ..bound to irk a few of you ..but cannot do more damage than Ms Kvitova has already inflicted on us today…
Considering the current state of play… Our Ms Kvitova may do well to get pregnant & have a baby and come back as Momy Petra! – there may be a Clisjsters like rising of the sphinx from the ashes ..motherhood may force her to take ownership of her destiny! and burst this bubble she hides in at present! Also this time-off would give her an opportunity to break free from her current ‘clueless cabal’ team & hopefully with reflection she will come back with a new team behind her….on the asthetic side no more having to make excuses for that little pouch too ...
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #339
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvonaraver View Post
Oh Petra! I couldn't watch the match as I fell asleep from exhaustion of staying up all night. What happened? Did she play like shit or did Laura play out of her mind? For some reason I was quite sensing a defeat against Laura but was trying to keep that at the back of my brain
Petra played like shit. Laura was nothing to write home about either. And when both were on (as little as that was), Petra was clearly the one bossing Laura on serve and groundies.

Unfortunately, Petra had many opportunities (as well as gifted many to Robson during the third set,and even the 2nd set), and didn't take advantage. That's the bottom line.

She needs a good run of games to re-gain her confidence, and/or she needs to throw the baby out with the bath water and re-assess herself, her play and her team!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #340
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
Ex, you're exactly right. I hate to sound like a downer, but I expected Petra to lose just given everything...and quite frankly, i'm tired of all the overly optimistic comments/excuses Petra keeps on making...saying that she had a great off season...and that her goals are just to keep on improving...i mean really...she's been saying this since 2011! ugh, she needs to get real and start thinking about what kind of tennis career she wants to have...

It's like...will this loss finally be the wake up call that Petra needs?!?! It just seems like she's not willing to put in the work and dedication to optimize her talent/skills. It's seeming more and more likely that Petra may have a Kuznetsova or Ivanovic like career...which is just too unfortunate...

And quite honestly, moving on to RG, I totally see Petra crashing out early...since she has sloppy footwork, can't anticipate well anymore, and has not learned how to slide...

Ugh...this is gonna be one dull 2013 season...it's gonna be Serena gobbling up all the big titles again w/ no resistance...just so, so boring...
You make/made a lot of sense. And I agree with practically everything you said. One caveat though: who knows where Petra's game, confidence mindset, or good fortune (during RG, or leading up to it), will be 4-5 months from now? Maybe she'll surprise us?
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #341
country flag Losing Streak
Only Pova that matters~

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Petra played like shit. Laura was nothing to write home about either. And when both were on (as little as that was), Petra was clearly the one bossing Laura on serve and groundies.

Unfortunately, Petra had many opportunities (as well as gifted many to Robson during the third set,and even the 2nd set), and didn't take advantage. That's the bottom line.

She needs a good run of games to re-gain her confidence, and/or she needs to throw the baby out with the bath water and re-assess herself, her play and her team!

I agree with you that she needs a good run. She needs some good matches. Really hope she plays Doha and/or Dubai.

Kichenoks Sasnovich Kremen Pervak Kovinic Bencic Vekic Diyas Bellis Svitolina Cirstea Mladenovic Garcia Pavlovic Rezai Jovanovski Mitu Savic Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #342
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Exactly what Ivanovic used to do
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #343
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How touching.

Sadly, it appears Petra is big on words and promises. But she's not, on the hard work, planning and preparation that leads up to it.
There were plenty of times during my old job in the pen when I heard dopeheads sitting around,chatting with each other,saying shit like,'Well,I know that YOU haven't given up on me,'...as if there were something wrong with their sober family members who had stopped trusting them after the 7th or 8th relapse and incarceration.

I'm not sure if Petra is playing media games with those tired old cliches...or if she's just feeling desperate now and doesn't know what else to say.On a purely common-sense level,Petra realizes that her results are inexcusably subpar....and that doing the exact same thing won't produce any difference in results.Also,her success in last year's USO Series is almost irrelevant because a player with her talent and all-surface game,barring injury,should be a consistent,impact player for most of the year.

.....So she can keep hanging out with the Pyle Brothers,Gomer and Goober...Dr.Bernard Pikola...and the newest addition to the clown college,her fitness coach('The Masked Bedwetter'--Czech translation coming,courtesy of Paul,at next month's end)...or she could talk to Lendl,Navrat and other Czech greats to learn what kind of professional outfit a champion should have

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #344
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
There were plenty of times during my old job in the pen when I heard dopeheads sitting around,chatting with each other,saying shit like,'Well,I know that YOU haven't given up on me,'...as if there were something wrong with their sober family members who had stopped trusting them after the 7th or 8th relapse and incarceration.

I'm not sure if Petra is playing media games with those tired old cliches...or if she's just feeling desperate now and doesn't know what else to say.On a purely common-sense level,Petra realizes that her results are inexcusably subpar....and that doing the exact same thing won't produce any difference in results.Also,her success in last year's USO Series is almost irrelevant because a player with her talent and all-surface game,barring injury,should be a consistent,impact player for most of the year.

.....So she can keep hanging out with the Pyle Brothers,Gomer and Goober...Dr.Bernard Pikola...and the newest addition to the clown college,her fitness coach('The Masked Bedwetter'--Czech translation coming,courtesy of Paul,at next month's end)...or she could talk to Lendl,Navrat and other Czech greats to learn what kind of professional outfit a champion should have
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #345
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Even the Wimbledon GOAT Martina was moving much better on clay and knew how to slide, Petra could learn soooo much from her.

Petra should check this great rare footage of a 17-year-old Martina on clay, who played with a wooden racket

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societ...tilova.fr.html (Starts in the middle of the footage after an interview in Czech)
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote