Was yesterday the worst advertisement for women's tennis? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #91
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Was yesterday the worst advertisement for women's tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
Now let me see if I have this right. Sabine is a “brainless basher” who goes for winners all the time. She should be more conservative like Caro and enjoy extracting UEs from the opponent. But wait isn’t Caro a pusher who is afraid to go for winners and thus is dead meat for anyone with an aggressive game. Caro should be more like Sabine and go for winners.

I guess it is hard to please a discerning women’s tennis fan.
How about Caro learns some technique and Lisicki learns that hitting sitters 8 feet long is a crime and need not happen. Hey we might get an enjoyable match then.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #92
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Does it really matter who the author of the thread support?
Why can't you just judge the thread on its own merit?
If the author can make the proclamation that yesterday was the "worse advertisement for women's tennis" based off of a player w.asthma being sluggish in the heat, Serena dominating a nobody player on a sprained ankle, another relatively unknown player having an unorthodox FH, and Woz winning w.no FH winners (like she normally does), then I think it's totally fair to bring up the player he supports, especially when others have pointed out that some might see her as a bad advertisement for women's tennis.

It's totally fair and valid. I personally like Chakvetadze, but she's hardly an example of the kind of player that people would say the WTA tour needs more of. The criticisms that the author makes about why women's tennis is suffering makes bringing up his favorite Chakvetadze more than fair.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #93
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Guys its round 1. Nobody is watching now. Nobody cares.

If you want a good sign, I was shocked at the amount of WTA tennis that was shown in the USA for an early round 1 tournament. Maybe we just caught a lucky break. I hope its more than that. ESPN and the Tennis Channel wouldn't put the WTA on TV, if they weren't drawing viewers. Judging by the TV coverage yesterday, nobody had a problem with play quality or storylines on the women's side of the draw.

I thought the the Serena injury really added a lot to the drama for what was going to be a blowout round 1 match. It was great TV. Credit Serena for milking the injury for all that it was worth.

That's why I like Serena. She is the GOAT, and she understands the important value of getting a good TV rating!
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #94
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Does it really matter who the author of the thread support?
Why can't you just judge the thread on its own merit?
It doesn't matter, but do you think someone will open a thread about how certain matches are bad for the image of women's tennis 111 had these matches featured their favorite players?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I hope its both.
Oh
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #95
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
It doesn't matter, but do you think someone will open a thread about how certain matches are bad for the image of women's tennis 111 had these matches featured their favorite players?
Yes. Chak playing yesterday wouldn't have changed the shitfests put on yesterday, more than likely just added to it.

Just because I have faves (one is retired, the other uncertain to ever play again) doesn't mean I don't know they can play shit and happily admit that.

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #96
country flag The 2nd Law

The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
When the top players hammer the lesser players like they should it gets called bad for the game.... then when they struggle against lesser players it gets called bad for the game.. I wish people would make their minds up.
Spot on
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #97
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

No it wasn't.

The worst advertisement of womens tennis has been in operation since the last decade.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #98
country flag esquímaux
Team WTAworld

esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute

bint! Had to look that one up Oh dear..
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #99
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Yes. Chak playing yesterday wouldn't have changed the shitfests put on yesterday, more than likely just added to it.

Just because I have faves (one is retired, the other uncertain to ever play again) doesn't mean I don't know they can play shit and happily admit that.
So did you open a thread like this after USO 07 SF or RG 11 R2?
Quote:
I hope its both.
Oh
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #100
country flag sammy01

Quote:
So did you open a thread like this after USO 07 SF or RG 11 R2?
The US open sf was wank, it was one of only 2 matches that day, the other was great. Chak and Sveta took a results thread full of people saying how shit it was.

I don't recall any other matches RG '11 rnd 2, but hey if you wanted to open a thread about it feel free. I'll tell you how shit Kim was spraying errors and not attempting to rally on clay of all surfaces.

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #101
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes indeed.

You are very good at saying tennis players are playing shit. It's what you do best. I am not surprised that ability even extends to your favourite players.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #102
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Was yesterday the worst advertisement for women's tennis?

And the day before yesterday was not?
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #103
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Quote:
The US open sf was wank, it was one of only 2 matches that day, the other was great. Chak and Sveta took a results thread full of people saying how shit it was.

I don't recall any other matches RG '11 rnd 2, but hey if you wanted to open a thread about it feel free. I'll tell you how shit Kim was spraying errors and not attempting to rally on clay of all surfaces.
Were those ugly ass play good for the image of women's tennis?
Quote:
I hope its both.
Oh
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #104
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that today's matches are a complete snooze-fest at the moment. Can't wait for Ana to turn this mutha out tonight! Keys vs Paszek should be a good one too.

Seriously, the slams may need to rethink seeding 32 players. I think that would help improve the level of tennis in the early rounds. 16 seeds may not be enough, so I say the split the difference and seed 24.

Last edited by carling : Jan 16th, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #105
country flag sammy01

Quote:
Were those ugly ass play good for the image of women's tennis?
Hell no. Kim only turned up to the French cus she had won the previous 2 slams and basically couldn't skip it. Chak was in her 1st slam SF so nerves were expected, Sveta it was her 3rd at least and she had no such excuse and as we all knew Sveta would and did get killed in the final.

US open sf #2 that evening was basically the final.