Donna Vekic - Page 216 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3226
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
I just saw this girl was injured from September last year. This year she won just 2 games in her one and only match. All that means this win is nothing that big, it's big because Vekic is just 16, big promise and it is GS. But we really don't know how good Vekic really is.
However, we can't expect big results until her 20th birthday.
she had a decent win against pliskova in sydney and lost in a tight three setter there...
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3227
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladekCRO View Post
Let's make something clear. Wozniacki is not Donna's idol. She said that she plays similar game like Wozniacki.
Well in some articles (http://www.24sata.hr/tenis/donna-vek...svijetu-215186), she said that she admires the game of Wozniacki, which is pretty close. Although in other interviews Donna said that she actually has no idol, so this is as close as you can get in her book

But that's really not the most relevant thing today, right? What do you guys expect from R2? Do you have expectations at all? I'd be happy with a set, honestly, even if in a slump Woz is still top 10 and a set off a top 10 player would be huge for someone like Donna. Not to mention that I'm REALLY looking forward to some tv coverage finally - assuming someone in Melbourne doesn't go bonkers and comes up with a nasty scheduling surprise.
ma re is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3228
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Well in some articles (http://www.24sata.hr/tenis/donna-vek...svijetu-215186), she said that she admires the game of Wozniacki, which is pretty close. Although in other interviews Donna said that she actually has no idol, so this is as close as you can get in her book

But that's really not the most relevant thing today, right? What do you guys expect from R2? Do you have expectations at all? I'd be happy with a set, honestly, even if in a slump Woz is still top 10 and a set off a top 10 player would be huge for someone like Donna. Not to mention that I'm REALLY looking forward to some tv coverage finally - assuming someone in Melbourne doesn't go bonkers and comes up with a nasty scheduling surprise.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3229
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

I know...

But I'm writing that off to her youth

And...another article - http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/don...ko/657232.aspx

Donna's coach: Konjuh & Vekic are pushing eachother and can go far

With just 16 years of age Croatian tennis player Donna Vekic is the youngest in the 2nd round of Australian Open.

"Win against Hlavackova is big, but how Vekic played out in the first appearance on a Grand Slam is unbelievable", said Donna's coach D. Felgate for TheTennisSpace.

"She had 6:1 and 2:0, but she didn't sign-in the win in advance like in the last quali round of US Open, but instead she played patiently until the end. Her capabilities are big, very big. She loves to work, learn, listen and improve. We are doing good", he said and revealed what could Donna improve on in her game.

"She moves great for a player of her height, but she could do it better. I think this is still her biggest weakness. I like that she is not afraid to come to the net and she has a nice volley game."

In the stands there was also Iva Majoli, Croatian Fed Cup captain.

"It's a big thing. Majoli was helping Donna last year as well. Croatia is not a big country in a tennis sense, but behind Donna comes another big hope - Ana Konjuh, Orange Bowl champion. Vekic and Konjuh will be pushing eachother forward and be a great combination for Fed Cup, as are Watson and Robson in the British tennis", thinks the former coach of Tim Henman.

Last edited by ma re : Jan 15th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3230
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Well, partially you are right, an injury time-out is a factor, but given Donna's age and inexperience on the big stage (compared to Hlavackova, who has won huge titles and an Olympic medal in doubles), Donna could've easily choked this match away, like so many of her peers would in the same situation. An in-form Hlavackova surely would've been a bigger obstacle, but if we consider the scoreline, I'm not sure Donna would lose it. We can also say that Donna had quite a long break, of course minus the injury, cause she played her last competitive match in early November.

And could you please define "big results"? For me, for example, a big result is a 4th round of a grand slam, because of how rarely our players ever got that far. I don't think we'll have to wait 4 more years to see Donna achieve it. Also, winning any WTA title is a big result if you ask me (Majoli has done it only 8 times in her whole career), and Donna was already a match away from achieving it.

I think we Croats as fans suffer from too high expectations syndrome, and need to try to play the sport ourselves in order to appreciate results of our pros a bit more. But then, with grand slam champions and Davis Cup winners, who wouldn't be spoiled...
Yeah, when you give just 3 games to somebody you would probably win anyway.
Big result for girl of her potential is semis, final or title on GS.
And I think she will make 2nd week of Slam or title on WTA tournament in next year or two which is a big result for a girl of her ages.
We have big exeptations because we had and have big sportsmen. But I don't have.

I do a tennis alot. Every day or two.

Last edited by petar_pan : Jan 15th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
petar_pan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #3231
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

there will be a reaaally exciting future for Croatian tennis
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #3232
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Very convincing win I thought Donna had a chance but I didn't see this result coming.
Very excited for the match against Wozniacki now; isn't she her idol or something?
Erm, just no.
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3233
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:

In the idol/no idol there's probably some bad phrasing/translation issues which could explain the different answers. And to be honest, Wozniaki isn't a bad person for Donna to model her game off. Due to the fact that she is 16 and doesn't really have the power to be hitting a lot of winners. At least, not at this stage of her development. She should probably adapt her game as she develops though. Relying on poor play from your opponent to win points isn't that viable at the higher levels of play that Donna will be up against if she doesn't burn out/fall down the rankings.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3234
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

After yesterday's win, Donna's FB likes surged to over 10,200
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #3235
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

just wait until she beats caroline
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #3236
xcrtbckhnd

xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future xcrtbckhnd has a brilliant future

So happy for Donna's win! Go demolish Caro now!!!!
xcrtbckhnd is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #3237
country flag ivananda

ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all

Hisense arena, 3rd match...probably after 5 am (croatian time)
ivananda is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3238
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivananda View Post
Hisense arena, 3rd match...probably after 5 am (croatian time)
Yeah, and all other Croats left in the MD are in same time: Cilic on court 2 and Tomic on the Rod Laver. That 3 will be top matches in that time, so we will see all of them on eusosport (thanks God, not on computer).

PS It would be unrealistic task that 16 year old girl beat top 10 (ex number 1).
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3239
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Yeah, and all other Croats left in the MD are in same time: Cilic on court 2 and Tomic on the Rod Laver. That 3 will be top matches in that time, so we will see all of them on eusosport (thanks God, not on computer).

PS It would be unrealistic task that 16 year old girl beat top 10 (ex number 1).
I think Donna's match will start a little later than the other two you mentioned because her's is preceded one women's and one men's match, while others' are only preceded by two women's matches each. That would actually be even better, cause I hate when several of our players are all in action at the same time, on televised courts to make it worse... Anyway, for me, Donna's match is #1 pick, cause I honestly don't have too much patience left for Marin after years of following Ivanisevic, and I don't care too much for Tomic, although I apreciate him as a talented player. Also, I'd much rather watch Dodig vs Nieminen than Cilic vs Ram, cause I think it'll be a better match, but anyway...

All in all, I'm quite happy with scheduling for tomorrow. It could've been better, but I won't complain.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #3240
country flag petar_pan

Quote:
I think Donna's match will start a little later than the other two you mentioned because her's is preceded one women's and one men's match, while others' are only preceded by two women's matches each. That would actually be even better, cause I hate when several of our players are all in action at the same time, on televised courts to make it worse... Anyway, for me, Donna's match is #1 pick, cause I honestly don't have too much patience left for Marin after years of following Ivanisevic, and I don't care too much for Tomic, although I apreciate him as a talented player. Also, I'd much rather watch Dodig vs Nieminen than Cilic vs Ram, cause I think it'll be a better match, but anyway...

All in all, I'm quite happy with scheduling for tomorrow. It could've been better, but I won't complain.
Dodig vs Neiminen is scheduled for court 7. I think that court isn't televised. Am I right?

Last edited by petar_pan : Jan 16th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Closed Thread