US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN) - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #31
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

No Roddick, no Isner, and last but not least, no Nadal...

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #32
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

^^Yes! I like Rafa, but damn would they show every minute of Federer and Nadal. They don't even show all of Murray or Djokovic's matches at majors, but they will force you to watch every minute of a Roger or Rafa romp on ESPN.
Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #33
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis channel is kind of worse, right now they are showing Janowicz-Devvarman
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #34
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
^^Yes! I like Rafa, but damn would they show every minute of Federer and Nadal. They don't even show all of Murray or Djokovic's matches at majors, but they will force you to watch every minute of a Roger or Rafa romp on ESPN.
^i don't have a problem with them showing full coverage of the top 3 players on either tour, that actually makes some sense especially cuz at the end if the day it's a business and people generally tune in for the big names.

My issue is when you have Ryan Harrison playing a nobody on one court and someone like Kerber playing Radwanska on another court and they opt to show the American. I would even be okay if they showed both, start off w.the women and its likely when that match is over the men will still be playing.

I do agree with u that if Nadal/Fed/Djoko is playing an early round and its not the least bit competitive then it's not necessary to show the entire match.

ESPN used to be really bad, but through the years they've gotten a little better...and it seems that the women finally are getting equal coverage, or at least more than they used to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barktra View Post
I noticed that too! It's like that flipped and reversed roles...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
I was shocked at the amount of WTA tennis that was shown in the USA for an early round 1 tournament. Maybe we just caught a lucky break. I hope its more than that. ESPN and the Tennis Channel wouldn't put the WTA on TV, if they weren't drawing viewers. Judging by the TV coverage yesterday, nobody had a problem with play quality or storylines on the women's side of the draw.

I thought the the Serena injury really added a lot to the drama for what was going to be a blowout round 1 match. It was great TV. Credit Serena for milking the injury for all that it was worth.

That's why I like Serena. She is the GOAT, and she understands the important value of getting a good TV rating!
I think it's my original theory about the lack of American men in the draw.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #35
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
^i don't have a problem with them showing full coverage of the top 3 players on either tour, that actually makes some sense especially cuz at the end if the day it's a business and people generally tune in for the big names.

My issue is when you have Ryan Harrison playing a nobody on one court and someone like Kerber playing Radwanska on another court and they opt to show the American. I would even be okay if they showed both, start off w.the women and its likely when that match is over the men will still be playing.

I do agree with u that if Nadal/Fed/Djoko is playing an early round and its not the least bit competitive then it's not necessary to show the entire match.

ESPN used to be really bad, but through the years they've gotten a little better...and it seems that the women finally are getting equal coverage, or at least more than they used to get.

I noticed that too! It's like that flipped and reversed roles...lol

I think it's my original theory about the lack of American men in the draw.
Its still bad. There is open rooting for the American players and tonight, after 2 hours of coverage, with the exception of Li Na, you'd never know there was anyone except an American who has played all day.

They just spent 20 minutes showing some nobody American male whose name begins with an S who no one has never heard of, who after losing the first set 6-0 to Ferrer wins a couple of games in the second set and all of the sudden deserves prime time coverage. And who gives a flying f*** about Brian Baker?
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #36

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

after the Madison match they've been showing Stosur vs. Jie Zheng. In years past I'm not sure we would have seen this match until someone had match point. Their coverage isnt perfect but like others have said I have noticed a difference.
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #37
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barktra View Post
Yes, I watched that fantastic game. Thank you The Tennis Channel!

--

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #38
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
Its still bad. There is open rooting for the American players and tonight, after 2 hours of coverage, with the exception of Li Na, you'd never know there was anyone except an American who has played all day.

They just spent 20 minutes showing some nobody American male whose name begins with an S who no one has never heard of, who after losing the first set 6-0 to Ferrer wins a couple of games in the second set and all of the sudden deserves prime time coverage. And who gives a flying f*** about Brian Baker?
Be glad that the WTA gets far more coverage than it has ever deserved.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #39
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

They are showing alot more women's tennis. Almost the whole Zheng-Stosur match and now ivanovic.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #40

It's a bit ironic that there are so many threads popping up about the quality and excitement of women's tennis while ESPN seems to be, for the first time ever, heavily favoring covering the women. I think ESPN has got it's finger on the pulse and in these early rounds all the major 'story lines' are all on the women's side. I'm sure the second week we will be back to normal- but I'm kind of enjoying this to be honest (especially w. no Nadal).

This the least I've ever seen of Patric McEnroe...loli
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #41
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a bit ironic that there are so many threads popping up about the quality and excitement of women's tennis while ESPN seems to be, for the first time ever, heavily favoring covering the women. I think ESPN has got it's finger on the pulse and in these early rounds all the major 'story lines' are all on the women's side. I'm sure the second week we will be back to normal- but I'm kind of enjoying this to be honest (especially w. no Nadal).

This the least I've ever seen of Patric McEnroe...loli
to all of this. Not having to hear McEnroe fawn over Roddick has been the higlight of the event. No Carrilo, no John McEnroe, very little Patrick McEnroe, no dirty old man Enberg has made the first few days lovely. If only every Venus match didn't have to be Shrivers excuse to dissect and criticize her game..... to death. Fifteen years of this shit from her. It's startling and disappointing to have to listen to the stream audio of this match to hear something other than whining bemoaning commentary.
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #42

I felt like this year the coverage was perfect. A nice mix of the top women and too men just as it should be.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #43
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
I felt like this year the coverage was perfect. A nice mix of the top women and too men just as it should be.
I agree, but it was forced on ESPN. No Roddick, no Isner, no Blake. They lucked out with the American women which they hyped to the hilt. If not for that, they would have been a very unhappy network.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote