Interviews & Articles - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #31
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interviews & Articles

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201206...256076_2820446

Quote:
Petrova Too Powerful, Wins In Den Bosch

June 23, 2012
'S-HERTOGENBOSCH, Netherlands - One of the best all-court games on the WTA has been finding its range again, and in 's-Hertogenbosch this past week it all clicked. Former World No.3 Nadia Petrova didn't lose a set en route to her 11th WTA title - and her first WTA title on grass - at the UNICEF Open.

Petrova, the No.8 seed at the International-level event, wasn't even pushed to a tie-break in any of her five matches on the lawns of 's-Hertogenbosch, and capped it with a 64 63 win over Urszula Radwanska, dropping serve in the first game of both sets but recovering quickly each time to win in straights.

"I must say I'm happy to win today in straight sets," Petrova said of the final. "The beginning of the match was a little bit rusty - I lost my serve, even though I was 40-0 up. That put me in a little bit of an uncomfortable situation. But I really controlled my emotions well and broke back to get into the match."

"Nadia was playing amazing today," Radwanska said. "She served so well and I really couldn't do much - she didn't let me play my game. But I was excited to be in my first WTA final and I hope my next final will be coming soon!"

Petrova's first 10 WTA titles were split among hard and clay events - seven on hard, three on clay. She now has an overall 11-11 record in WTA finals.

The 30-year-old Russian also bounces back into the Top 20 now, going from No.22 to No.20 - her first time in the elite since the two weeks of Indian Wells in March 2011, and having gone as low as No.37 in the time since.

"I enjoyed this week very much - I hadn't been here for eight years and it was great, they do everything for the players," Petrova added. "I haven't seen my draw for Wimbledon yet but I hope I have a decent one. I hope to continue playing the same tennis, but I don't want to put any expectations on myself."

Radwanska came out of the qualifying and made it all the way to her first WTA final - she now goes from No.64 to No.54 on the new WTA Rankings.
Nadia`s first WTA title on grass!

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #32
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201209...256076_2931451

Quote:
Petrova's Turnaround, Stosur's Close Finish

September 27, 2012
TOKYO, Japan - Quarterfinals Day at the Toray Pan Pacific Open began with a pair of absolute nail-biters, with Nadia Petrova and Samantha Stosur both moving through and setting up a semifinal clash at the Premier-level tournament.

The No.17-seeded Petrova was the first of the pair to advance, though she had to pull off a Houdini act to do it - down 63 41 and double faulting to face a point for a 63 51 deficit, the Russian flipped the switch just in time, battling back to make it past No.6 seed Sara Errani in three grinding sets, 36 75 63.

"You never want to leave the court without giving everything you have, so even at a set and 4-1 down I still believed I could turn it around," Petrova said.

Petrova, who is currently ranked No.18 in the world but is a former World No.3, is through to her biggest WTA semifinal in three years, since Beijing in 2009.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM   #33
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201209...256076_2932452

Quote:
Petrova Beats Stosur, First Into Tokyo Final

September 28, 2012
TOKYO, Japan - They had both come from the brink of defeat earlier in the tournament, but when they came up against each other one was much sharper: Nadia Petrova served up a storm in the semifinals of the Toray Pan Pacific Open on Friday afternoon, defeating Samantha Stosur routinely in straight sets to reach the 23rd - and arguably biggest - WTA final of her career.

Both players were nearly sent home en route to this round, Stosur rallying from 4-1 down in the third set to beat Francesca Schiavone in the second round and Petrova rallying from 63 41 down to beat Sara Errani in the quarterfinals.

On the day the No.17-seeded Petrova was just too strong on serve though, losing just 11 points in her first eight service games and, while serving for it at 64 52, fending off Stosur's only three break points of the match to win, 64 62.

"Yesterday Sam beat Maria, who is one of the top players right now, so I knew I had to put in a good performance, and I think I did," Petrova said in her on-court interview. "My serve really helped, because when I'm holding my serve I can focus on breaking serve, and Sam serves very big so that's very important.

"I'm happy I stayed mentally strong throughout the match and when I was serving it out at the end. I'm very happy with how I played today."

Petrova is now through to the 23rd WTA final of her career, going 11-11 in her first 22. But there's something even more special about this one - she has never reached the final of a tournament with this much prize money, in fact it isn't even close, this one having $2,168,400 and her previous-biggest being $1,340,000 (three times at that price - Charleston, Berlin and Moscow, all in 2006).

"I haven't played the final of these kinds of events for a while," Petrova said. "It's a really good achievement for me. I'm going to enjoy it, relax and get ready for tomorrow's final, and maybe I'll even watch some of the girls playing later."

With wins over the No.7-ranked Errani and the No.9-ranked Stosur, this is perhaps surprisingly just the second time Petrova has beaten two Top 10 players at the same tournament - coincidentally, the first time was at this very tournament four years ago in 2008 (No.3 Ana Ivanovic and No.10 Agnieszka Radwanska). She has never beaten three Top 10 players at the same event.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 01:53 PM   #34
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201209...256076_2933461

Quote:
Petrova Conquers Radwanska & Tokyo

September 29, 2012
TOKYO, Japan - With a nagging back injury coming in, even she didn't come in believing it would happen. But sometimes good things happen when you least expect them to - and for Nadia Petrova it did this past week, as she won the 12th and biggest WTA title of her career at the Toray Pan Pacific Open.

Last week in Seoul, Petrova had to withdraw mid-tournament with a low back injury - and it was tested again this week across the water in Tokyo, as the No.17-seeded Russian barely scraped through two of her matches en route to the final, battling over three hours to beat Petra Martic in the third round and rallying from 63 41 down to beat No.6 seed Sara Errani in the quarterfinals.

But Petrova passed all those tests, and after a semifinal win over No.8 seed Samantha Stosur she found herself in the biggest final of her long career.

Before this week, Petrova had only ever beaten two Top 10 players at the same tournament once, right here in Tokyo in 2008 - and with wins over Errani and Stosur she matched that. But with World No.3 Agnieszka Radwanska awaiting in the final, she would have to break new ground if she wanted to take the title - beat three Top 10 players at the same tournament for the first time.

Things couldn't have started better for Petrova, as she blew through the first set 6-0, playing almost flawless tennis - 16 winners to three unforced errors. But her game went awry in the second set, hitting seven winners to 14 unforced errors - the No.3-seeded Radwanska took it, 6-1. The final was heading to a final set.

"I played great in the first set but may have used too much energy, and in the second set I felt flat," Petrova said. "It took me a while to recuperate and get back into the game. After the second set when I went to change my clothes, I had a few minutes to think about what to focus on in the third set."

For the first time in the match, the two players both started bringing out their best at the same time; 1-all, 2-all and 3-all followed, and then a Petrova hold for 4-3. Radwanska built a 40-30 lead in her next service game but double faulted twice from there and Petrova pounced, breaking for 5-3 - she then served it out, finishing it with a huge forehand swing volley winner. Final score: 60 16 63.

"After running out of gas in the second set, I don't know where I found the strength and willpower to fight in the third set, but I did and it feels amazing," Petrova said. "This is the biggest tournament I've ever won. It's a great accomplishment. And at the beginning of the tournament I definitely didn't expect to win the title, because of the back injury I've been struggling with.

"I'm so happy to be here right now."

Seven of Petrova's 11 previous WTA titles were Premiers, but this Premier was more blinged out than them all with $2,168,400 in prize money for the field - her previous biggest were Charleston and Berlin in 2006, with $1,340,000 each.

The 30-year-old Petrova was asked in her press conference about the recent surge in success of 30-somethings on the WTA. "There are a few players who have won Grand Slams after 30, and I feel like I don't want to walk away from tennis without accomplishing the same," she said. "I still find the will to wake up every morning and go on the court and just try to improve with each day.

"If it's meant to happen it will, but if it doesn't, at the end of my career I'll know I've done everything I could to achieve it," the former World No.3 added.

Radwanska, who was the defending champion in the Japanese capital, still has a pretty sparkling record in WTA finals in her career: 10-4.

"I'm disappointed - I wanted to win this title so much, and when you're so close and feel you can make it, it's always emotional if you don't," Radwanska said. "But she was playing really well. Her biggest weapon is her serve, for sure, but also her return was very good today, and I had to serve really well myself to hold my serve. But overall I think those two shots were working really well for her."
Amazing week for Nadia

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #35
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCou...934990,00.html

Quote:
Life Begins At 30 For Petrova

October 01, 2012
Received wisdom suggests that tennis is a young woman's game. However, if recent evidence is anything to go by, received wisdom is fairly wide of the mark.

In the Tokyo final this past weekend, Nadia Petrova, 30, had Agnieszka Radwanska, the World No.3 and a player seven years her junior, chasing shadows for long periods. Petrova's three set victory saw her lift the 12th - and the biggest - title of a career that looks to be anything but slowing down.

After spending most of 2011 bobbing around the 20s and 30s in the rankings and struggling for any form to speak of, Petrova has been a totally different beast this season. The decision to employ Ricardo Sánchez as her new full-time coach in February has revitalized not just the Russian's results but also on-court demeanor.

"Every match I play, I feel like he's playing with me," Petrova said after the final in Tokyo. "He gets so much involved in it. He fist pumps, he gets up, he claps, he helps me out emotionally.

"And even in the third set when I called him at 2-1, I said, 'I need some help from you, because I'm getting low on energy.' And that kind of support courtside it helps a lot, and it was working the whole week."

Victory in Tokyo has taken Petrova up to No.14 in the world - her highest ranking for 27 months - and reinstalled the belief that, even at the grand old age of 30, there is still a place with her name on it at tennis' top table.

"As long as you have the motivation and the will to get better, improve and compete, I don't think age matters," the former World No.3 added. "I still find the will to wake up every morning and go on the court and try to perform my best and get better with each day.

"There are a few players who have won Grand Slams after 30, and I feel like I don't want to walk away from tennis without accomplishing the same. If it's meant to happen it will, but if it doesn't, at the end of my career I'll know I've done everything I could."

And the recent Grand Slam honor roll suggests this is far from a pipe dream; in each of the past three years there has been at least one Grand Slam champion who has been in or past their 30th year, while the same time span has also seen five first-time winners.
Ricardo Sanchez really helped Nadia

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #36
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/doublesnews...256567_2962985

Quote:
Kirilenko & Petrova's Dream Weekend

ISTANBUL, Turkey - They were the last team in, and now they're the last team standing - Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova had a dream weekend in Istanbul, defeating the Top 2 teams in the world and winning their biggest WTA title at the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships - Istanbul 2012.

Last Saturday, Kirilenko and Petrova beat Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears in the semifinals of Moscow, a match that would determine who the fourth and final qualifying team for the WTA Championships would be.

But Kirilenko and Petrova were still the last team in and thus the biggest longshot, and it wasn't an easy week, particularly to start, as they were totally outclassed in the first set of their first match against Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci, 6-1; but after that they never looked back, taking out the No.1 seeds, 16 63 104, then on Sunday taking out No.2 seeds Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka, 61 64, Kirilenko fighting off two break points while serving for the match and the Russians winning it on a return from the Czechs that sailed long.

"I'm very proud - I think we played very solid tennis today," Petrova said in an on-court interview. "We were calm and in control of the game from the beginning, and we didn't lose momentum in the second set. Also, Maria was very brave, holding serve in the last game from two break points down."

"We felt we could dominate the game today - it sounds simple, but really it's quite difficult," Kirilenko said. "We're happy to win another title together."

Kirilenko and Petrova now have four WTA doubles titles together, having won Cincinnati in 2008, Moscow in 2009 and Miami this year. Individually, Kirilenko now has 12 WTA doubles titles, Petrova 21 - and this was Petrova's second WTA Championships title, having won with Meghann Shaughnessy in 2004.

"Our goal this season was just to play the Olympics and win a medal, and we achieved that, and now we're here winning this title," Petrova said. "It's a great way to finish off the doubles season. We have had such a great year."

"It was so difficult to qualify for this tournament - we only did it last week in Moscow - so to be the last team in and win it is just great," Kirilenko added. "We had a great tournament here and this is an amazing feeling."
YEC title

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #37
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201211...256076_2970303

Quote:
Petrova Overpowers Wozniacki, Wins Sofia

November 04, 2012
SOFIA, Bulgaria - With just one more match for the season, she said she was going to leave every last bit of energy out there, and she really did - Nadia Petrova completely overpowered Caroline Wozniacki to win her third WTA title of the year at the Qatar Airways Tournament Of Champions Sofia.

Both players were looking strong going into the final, going undefeated in their round robin groups and fending off inspired opponents in the semifinals. But when it came to the final it was one way traffic, as the No.2-seeded Petrova was on fire, both off the ground and on serve - she held all seven of her service games and broke the No.1-seeded Wozniacki five times to cruise, 62 61.

Petrova's serve was particularly devastating in Sofia - she finished the week with 24 straight holds of serve (holding her last two service games against Tsvetana Pironkova in their round robin match, all 15 of her service games against Roberta Vinci in the semifinals, then all seven against Wozniacki).

"After my match against Vinci last night I didn't think I'd have enough time to recover, but I did all the right things and woke up feeling good," Petrova said. "I knew this was the last one and that I just had to give everything I had left.

"I had some long matches before this, so I had to keep this one to two sets. I didn't really have so much left in my tank, so I had to play smart and keep the points short. Caroline's a great mover and so consistent, so I mixed it up and kept her guessing so that she didn't know what was coming from my side.

"This is a great accomplishment and a great way to finish the season."

Petrova had already won WTA titles this year at 's-Hertogenbosch and Tokyo [Pan Pacific], making this the second time she has won three or more WTA titles in a season (she won five in 2006). She now has 13 total WTA titles.

The Russian was asked afterwards how her current form compares to her 2006 form, which took her up to No.3 in the world. "I cannot say I'm playing my best right now, but I'm definitely going in the right direction," she said. "I'm trying to bring the good years back right now though. Hopefully with the preparation I'm doing in the off-season for next year, you'll be able to see the old Petrova.

"I would love to play singles in Istanbul next year."

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #38
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Nadia & Katarina Conquer Sydney

Nadia Petrova and Katarina Srebotnik did not drop a set en route to their second doubles title together.
Published January 12, 2013 11:50
In picking up their second WTA title as a duo in their fifth event at the Apia International Sydney without dropping a set, Nadia Petrova and Katarina Srebotnik had quite an impressive list of victims.
Petrova and Srebotnik took out former doubles World No.1 Liezel Huber and Sania Mirza in the quarterfinals, former French Open champions Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka in the semifinals and current doubles World No.2 Sara Errani and No.1 Roberta Vinci in the final.
Petrova now has 22 WTA doubles titles to her name, and Srebotnik has 31.
"We're very pleased with our first tournament of the year together," said Petrova, whose previous triumph alongside Srebotnik came at Moscow in 2008. "We had good off-seasons and it's nice that it's already paying off - we played some decent doubles this week and every match has been in straight sets, which means a lot. Now we have our eyes on the big prize."
"This tournament gives us a lot of confidence - it was a test to show us where we're at," Srebotnik said. "It was a tough draw for our first tournament together since committing to the partnership for the year, and every match was very, very difficult, but we played well every match. It shows we're in good form."
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #39
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...ps-up-in-miami

Quote:
MIAMI, FL, USA - Twenty more players battled through to the second round of the Sony Open Tennis on Wednesday, as the first round of the Premier Mandatory-level tournament came to a close.

The seeds don't come marching in 'til Thursday, but there was plenty of star power on Wednesday, including three former Top 10 players: Nadia Petrova, Kimiko Date-Krumm and Andrea Petkovic.

Petrova, a former World No.3 currently at No.205 after injury and personal struggles over the last year, and a wildcard into this event, was the first to play, grinding past Urszula Radwanska in a two-hour, 32-minute marathon, 75 16 64. The Russian won just one more point in the match - 101 to 100.

So where is Petrova in her comeback? "It's actually a good question," she said. "I don't know. Some people think it's going to be hard to come back, especially from where I am right now. And at this stage of my career it's going to difficult. But on the other hand, with all the experience I have and the knowledge of important moments and when to take the initiative, it can be easier. I think it's 50-50.

"But I'm just taking it match by match. At the moment I'm lacking match play - it's been a long time since I've played a lot of matches in a row. It's as frustrating as it is challenging. But I'm just focusing on my game and the things I need to do out there on the court, and I think I'm going to be fine."

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !