Ranking 2012-3 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #46
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ranking 2012-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_masterton View Post
Both Sarah Borwell and Nicola Slater had some interesting points to make on ITA rankings generally on facebook as part of general advice to those considering college. I'll try to copy them across when I get home.
Would love to hear what they have to say
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #47
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

Here's Nicola, these are posts from Tennis Smart's Facebook page. That is the placement company run by Sarah Borwell. Nik is currently in Oz playing some money tournaments and spending time with her family.

Nicola Slater

I have to post this after hearing conversations happening over here with junior players looking to go the the States for University and major major misconceptions and I hope us Brits aren't making the same mistakes...

The biggest thing I am hearing are players saying "I only want to go to a top ranked school" here are the important things to remember...

1. Britain and Australia are very very small as far as competitive tennis goes. Don't get big fish in a small pond syndrome. It is a LOT harder than you think. The girls I am hearing say this are good but not good enough to be considering ranked schools. Top 15 schools, you better be ranked highly in your country. After that comes the next point...

2. 15-50 in the nation it changes CONSTANTLY. New players are coming in and out all of the time and 50-75 are all very very similar and same thing though, colleges drop in and out all of the time. Look at consistency, then you'll find a reputable coach which leads to my next point.

3. RANKINGS DON'T MATTER. Find a good coach, one where you can improve, develop your game and actually enjoy your time. There are soooo many coaches in college that cannot coach and then 75% are just plain crazy. It is 4 years and yes you may transfer but why waste any time. I started at an average school, good budget, good schedule but my coach was awful and I wasted 2 years until I transferred and I can only imagine what I could have done had I been at the right place in the beginning.

4. RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER. I will keep saying it until you believe it. It is political and will not affect you in any shape or form ESPECIALLY if you want to go pro. Find a good coach with a good schedule and that is all you need. I have looked at the rankings and cannot believe some of the schools that have players ranked. It is so inaccurate and I can speak from experience with that.

5. Think mid to high line up. If you are desperate to just get on a ranked team, especially high and are the level I have seen over here, you will ride the bench or play lower line up. This will not help you. Most lower line up players play a steady pusher game and its the player that the coach tends to rely on just to get the ball in and win. You will get lost, unless you are in the top 15 schools, who have depth.

6. Rankings DO NOT matter ;-) coach, schedule and top 3 in line up THEY matter. Take it from someone who was in the rankings with 2 different doubles partners and never played with one girl but stayed in the rankings with her all year. Take is from a player that only ever got to 55 in singles because of team ranking yet had numerous numerous top 20 wins. Also take it from a player that transferred into a team in top 30 but dropped to 74 and then we finished 12.

Be the player to help get your team a ranking from the top of the line up and build the program. Feels a lot better! :-)
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #48
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

And Tennis Smart (Sarah) follow-up

Thanks Nicola. Looks like the whole rankings worry is in every country. Hopefully you and the rest of the ex student-athletes can help make all the young Brits aware that, rankings are really not that important. I shake my head most weeks when I see the new rankings which come out. I would use the May rankings as a gauge but I would spend most of your time, building a relationship with the college coach and finding out from others, about the college coach. Ask those who dont have an agenda, not someone who is trying to recruit you and sell their program. You will find most ex athletes will be honest with what their set up was like, so always contact them. The variables which should matter to those who want to go pro or at least improve; COACH,SCHEDULE, PLAYING TOP 3. Anything after that is a bonus to be honest, so if you have to give up on Malibu beach or New York city for a smaller town, then so be it. To achieve things in life you have to make sacrifices, so be willing to go that extra mile to get what you need for your tennis.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #49
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
Since the ITA preseason team rankings are so worthless, I decided to come up with my own preseason top 75 as message board fodder (ITA rankings in parentheses).

The top 6 could go in just about any order IMHO, but after that I think there will be alot of movement once the season gets underway.

My 10 teams to watch this year are: Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Yale, Florida State, Memphis, Columbia, Auburn, DePaul, Harvard, SMU

The Ivy League in particular seems to have gotten a lot stronger, but did they continue to train over the holiday break??

10 teams that might be on the decline: Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, Illinois, South Carolina, Arizona, Washington State

Full Rankings
1 UCLA (2)
2 Duke (3)
3 Florida (1)
4 Stanford (5)
5 Southern Cal (4)
6 California (7)
7 North Carolina (8)
8 Texas A&M (14)
9 Georgia (6)
10 Vanderbilt (26)
11 Virginia (T11)
12 Alabama (10)
13 Yale (28)
14 Baylor (15)
15 Miami (FL) (9)
16 Florida State (38)
17 Northwestern (13)
18 Michigan (16)
19 Clemson (22)
20 Memphis (58)
21 Columbia (73)
22 Pepperdine (33)
23 Tennessee (23)
24 TCU (35)
25 Auburn (69)
26 Texas Tech (21)
27 DePaul (65)
28 Rice (T29)
29 Ole Miss (18)
30 Arizona State (37)
31 Notre Dame (19)
32 Purdue (27)
33 Harvard (74)
34 Nebraska (17)
35 Syracuse (72)
36 Utah (34)
37 SMU (NR)
38 South Florida (43)
39 Tulsa (25)
40 Texas (T11)
41 Indiana (49)
42 Princeton (71)
43 Dartmouth (NR)
44 VCU (46)
45 Georgia State (70)
46 Kentucky (NR)
47 St. Mary's (42)
48 Tulane (55)
49 Ohio State (57)
50 Georgia Tech (20)
51 Oregon (66)
52 Brown (64)
53 Oklahoma (44)
54 Arkansas (36)
55 Illinois (24)
56 San Diego State (NR)
57 NC State (NR)
58 South Carolina (31)
59 Kansas State (67)
60 San Diego (48)
61 Washington (47)
62 Boston College (NR)
63 UNLV (T50)
64 Cornell (NR)
65 Iowa (NR)
66 Oklahoma State (40)
67 Wyoming (61)
68 Missouri (52)
69 Penn State (T50)
70 Arizona (T29)
71 North Florida (NR)
72 LSU (45)
73 Washington State (32)
74 Louisville (NR)
75 Furman (NR)
Yale 13? Columbia 21? Pass the bong!
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #50
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

The ITA site is back up and so we can see the rather pointless new rankings again(*). Houston gets ranked on the back of the win over SFA.

(*) or for the first time if, like me, you forgot about them yesterday.

Last edited by Embittered : Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #51
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

UNC is the new #1!

Florida and Stanford take their annual drops falling to 2 and 7 respectively.

http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa..._-_Feb__12.htm
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #52
UFGatorFan

UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light

Florida's next 4 matches are Duke, UNC, Clemson and Stanford.
UFGatorFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #53
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

USC with 2 of the top 3 players in the country...hmmm

UCLA has 6 players ranked now.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #54
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
USC with 2 of the top 3 players in the country...hmmm

UCLA has 6 players ranked now.
What's the use, if the lower positions can't deliver Clemson's Mijacika & Bek were fearsome 1-2
punch, Yet the team lost in the 1st rd at College Station NCAA 2009
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #55
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Guillermo not ranked?????!!! Scandalous.

Just because Gibbsy is NR..
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #56
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha Kate Fuller is ranked with three different doubles partners
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #57
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Hahaha Kate Fuller is ranked with three different doubles partners
Kate IS an excellent dbls player
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #58
country flag Soxfan19

Soxfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Subtracting out Yale's 2-1 record against ranked teams, according to ITA results pages, the Ivy League is 1-8 against ranked teams after Columbia's tough 4-3 loss to Memphis today. Dartmouth's win over #75 Wisconsin is the only ranked win. Having the ECAC Championship canceled due to snow storm two weekends ago is going to eventually make a big difference in the rankings of many of these northeast teams because there were a bunch of ranked wins that would have helped keep 2 or 3 teams other than Yale up in the rankings when it goes to the computer.
Soxfan19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #59
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Rankings posted: http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa..._-_Feb__19.htm

Yesterday's match not included, I'm assuming. Stanford plummet to 13.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #60
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

When the rankings came out last week I complained #59 UCI defeated #46 Pepperdine, #50 LSU & #57 Tulane but was still ranked behind all of them which was egregious.

Maybe someone with influence reads this board, if so I thank them cuz now #50 UCI is appropriately ranked ahead of all three (#51 Pepperdine, #54 LSU, #56 Tulane).
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote