Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #106
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

As consolation, (a) Mirjana didn't draw a top-16 seed, and (b) if she wins, her R2 match should be easier.
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #107
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

not the best draw, but if she has to face a seeded player, might as well Lucie, she's not in form at the moment it seems.

Good luck Miki

=Good luck to my favourite players: Mirjana Lucic, Elena Dementieva, Li Na, Maria Kirilenko, Daniela Hantuchova, Vera Zvonareva, Zheng Jie, Venus Williams =
kfh_9118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #108
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Crap. Lefty Lucie the Topspin Queen.

She got waxed by Keys in Brisbane, yes, but she's currently at her career high ranking, so let's not kid ourselves.

Miki's wonky backhand will have to be perfect and so will her timing, 'cuz the only way she can even make an impression on Safarova is by taking everything early/on-the-rise. Their Charleston encounter was a disaster.

Shit. Well, anything can happen in tennis. Safarova has proved to be vulnerable to hard, flat hitters in the past, and she can go on error-sprees herself.

Mirjana has nothing to lose, but it would be nice if she could put together some vintage shotmaking.

She'll need it. Along with a lefty practice-partner the next few days.

GL, no matter what.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #109
country flag *O.R*

*O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute

If Mirjana hits a purple patch, she can beat anyone imo....but that doesn't happen on hard court anymore really.

Petrova _ Stosur _ Kuznetsova _ Kanepi _ Rybarikova _ Makarova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Sharapova _ Vesnina _ Hantuchova _ Flipkens _ Jankovic _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Lucic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Hercog _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Pliskovas _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele
*O.R* is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #110
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie_R View Post
If Mirjana hits a purple patch, she can beat anyone imo....but that doesn't happen on hard court anymore really.
Most assuredly, Mirjana playing her cleanest tennis can hang-with and or beat any Top 10-caliber star. She's demonstrated that in her first go-around against Steffi, Serena, Monica, Pierce, Novotna, etc. and she has done so in her second act, e.g. Bartoli, Jankovic.

She played some sharp hard-court tennis in 2010 and 2011, at both US Opens and in a number of year-end ITFs. 2012 was not so good for her on hard court, obviously.

She will have to rise to the occasion against Lucie, no question about it. But, on the right day she's capable of that.

Regardless, at least at this twilight hour of her career she is out there laying it on the line in Grand Slam main draws against the very best in the world. So many people used to laugh at the very idea she would ever get into such a position again. Ever. In that sense, Mirjana got the last laugh on the naysayers.

Lucie is not some divine being: she is human and can be beaten. Mirjana simply has to think that way, go out there and beat the woman. She needs to move superbly, serve very well, and execute a good backcourt plan against the lefty-voodoo of Lucie and focus extra-hard. The grueling work? Mirjana has already put that in, off-court and on.

It is not an impossibility for Lucic to win. Not at all.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #111
country flag *O.R*

*O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute *O.R* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Most assuredly, Mirjana playing her cleanest tennis can hang-with and or beat any Top 10-caliber star. She's demonstrated that in her first go-around against Steffi, Serena, Monica, Pierce, Novotna, etc. and she has done so in her second act, e.g. Bartoli, Jankovic.

She played some sharp hard-court tennis in 2010 and 2011, at both US Opens and in a number of year-end ITFs. 2012 was not so good for her on hard court, obviously.

She will have to rise to the occasion against Lucie, no question about it. But, on the right day she's capable of that.

Regardless, at least at this twilight hour of her career she is out there laying it on the line in Grand Slam main draws against the very best in the world. So many people used to laugh at the very idea she would ever get into such a position again. Ever. In that sense, Mirjana got the last laugh on the naysayers.

Lucie is not some divine being: she is human and can be beaten. Mirjana simply has to think that way, go out there and beat the woman. She needs to move superbly, serve very well, and execute a good backcourt plan against the lefty-voodoo of Lucie and focus extra-hard. The grueling work? Mirjana has already put that in, off-court and on.

It is not an impossibility for Lucic to win. Not at all.
I agree with everything you said.

It's the unforced errors that will be her downfall I think....Lucie has poor movement, and Mirjana will find going for winners easier than with most other players, but her strokes need to be more accurate...

And Lucie is one of the worst returners in the top 100 on a bad day, so Mirjana needs to serve well indeed!

Petrova _ Stosur _ Kuznetsova _ Kanepi _ Rybarikova _ Makarova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Sharapova _ Vesnina _ Hantuchova _ Flipkens _ Jankovic _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Lucic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Hercog _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Pliskovas _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele
*O.R* is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #112
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Mirjana didn't attend any party before AOpen. Hope she's training.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #113
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
not the worst draw. she played well in fed cup, but has otherwise been off
Exactly. Safarova in very poor form. Could be worse. Good luck at Aus Open, Mirjana

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #114
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreIazmvXGw

I really hope Prpa and Miki will take a close look at this match. Safarova raised her level quite a bit in second set and started hitting harder of forehand.
For Mirjana it will be really important to work hard on bh these few days, also where she needs to be good to beat Safarova is second serve return.
Overall Mirjana will need to play well, move well but key shots are serve, backhand and 2nd serve return. Also, she needs to punish every short ball that Safarova gives her to the middle of the court, meaning she will also have to patient and not try to hit winner on every ball.
And she could try some of those drop shots that she played well last year, but I do not believe her passing shot as a following shot is good enough for Lucie, lob seems to be better option.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #115
ajmo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Mirjana didn't attend any party before AOpen. Hope she's training.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/.../practice.html
Also she wasn't practicing in Melbourne Park today, Safarova was.
Hope she's not sick or something.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #116
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Yikes. Heaven forbid she's sick. Bad USA weather seemed to confound her travel plans to Shenzhen, costing valuable match-practice. This bad USA 'flu epidemic had better not mess with her!

It's speculative, but Prpic and Mirjana could very well have gone off-site to find a lefty male practice-partner with big topspin.

I would absolutely have to think that Prpic (or whomever) insisted on making some frantic arrangements to find a lefty hitting partner who could approximate Safarova's game.

I mean, they'd be crazy if they didn't. We're talking Miki, here. As slow as she can be to find her rhythm in matches (and in beginning new seasons!) and with only one match under her belt so far, she simply can't afford to step on the court against a Top 20 lefty like Safarova and just "hope" she can work her way into figuring-out the weirdness that comes with suddenly facing a lefthander. Hell no. It'd be a comedy (of errors).

Prpic is the smartest coach she's had in a while ... He will have found her a lefty hitting partner already and will be drilling her hard with ways to attack Lucie on Tuesday.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #117
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

She just needs to take her time and focus on footwork...just like she did against Bartoli last year
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #118
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She'll be on ct 10 with Pliskova
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #119
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Decent 1st round draw in the doubles for JJ & Miki against Rogowska & Arina Rodionova. Peschke and Groenefeld are the seeded pair in the 2nd round if they all win.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #120
ajmo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
She'll be on ct 10 with Pliskova
Yup, just for an hour but at least something, yesterday she wasn't practicing.
Safarova with Schiavone? I guess she doesn't see Mirjana as a threat. MAybe good.