Rape and how societies react - Page 19 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #271
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 30,837
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
Am I the only person that gets a little uncomfortable when the West makes such a huge news story out of situations like this? Same as the massive news story in the UK made out of some Muslim men in Northern England who were found guilty of 'grooming' some teenage white girls.

Rape, child abuse, ''grooming', is everywhere. And it ihas been going on since time began. Victorian London had child brothels and epidemic levels of syphilis. Most cases of reported rape and child abuse in the UK involve white males.

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel the Western media is hypocritical. It's as if they're saying this case is unique and unique to 'foreign' cultures, and yes, it's awful, but why is it getting the exposure it is? Women are raped everyday in the UK with no reporting in the media. There's just something about this level of exposure I'm concerned about.
So what is your point?

Would you have preferred that this news not be reported in the UK because they have rape there too?

Indian people drove this news, not the UK press nor any other western countries media.
Indians are saying to their goverment and politicians that they have had enough ; and powerful grassroot social movement of consciousness raising is taking hold.
By anyway you slice it, this is big news.

Other countries, suffering from this malady in silence because of the same structural problem and social stigma associated with rape, can learn from what Indians are doing.

Last but not last, we are in a global world where news travel fast.
It isn't the age of the telegraph anymore
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVIII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jan 11th, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #272
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,593
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
I enjoyed this piece of news like no other news in the recent times. Reading about rapes on sensuous Indian women and involving in the aftermath of the incident is far more interesting to me than rapes on western women which happen every other minute. I get a huge kick out of bumping this thread again and again.
oh i see.....
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #273
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,593
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
Am I the only person that gets a little uncomfortable when the West makes such a huge news story out of situations like this? Same as the massive news story in the UK made out of some Muslim men in Northern England who were found guilty of 'grooming' some teenage white girls.

Rape, child abuse, ''grooming', is everywhere. And it ihas been going on since time began. Victorian London had child brothels and epidemic levels of syphilis. Most cases of reported rape and child abuse in the UK involve white males.

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel the Western media is hypocritical. It's as if they're saying this case is unique and unique to 'foreign' cultures, and yes, it's awful, but why is it getting the exposure it is? Women are raped everyday in the UK with no reporting in the media. There's just something about this level of exposure I'm concerned about.
that's an understatement bro......i have more respect for 50 cent whores than western media, particularly channels like BBC which take immense pleasure in telecasting semi nude bodies of women(in presence of their husbands) in poverty struck regions in africa, mocking at illiteracy in india, interviewing war affected, helpless muslim women in the middle east and making stories about how they were raped......

rapes in uk and usa have reached a state that it is almost an integral part of their culture now......it's just too funny that they get all high and try to take the center stage when their own situation is beyond repair......

folks who sit and discuss for hours on BBC, CNN about atrocities in the east, i doubt any of their women are safe at home when they are working in the studios......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...

Last edited by Start da Game : Jan 11th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #274
Olórin
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,385
Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
that's an understatement bro......i have more respect for 50 cent whores than western media, particularly channels like BBC which take immense pleasure in telecasting semi nude bodies of women(in presence of their husbands) in poverty struck regions in africa, mocking at illiteracy in india, interviewing war affected, helpless muslim women in the middle east and making stories about how they were raped......

rapes in uk and usa have reached a state that it is almost an integral part of their culture now......it's just too funny that they get all high and try to take the center stage when their own situation is beyond repair......

folks who sit and discuss for hours on BBC, CNN about atrocities in the east, i doubt any of their women are safe at home when they are working in the studios......
Why do you insist on using the third person possessive when referring to women?

You are so incredibly backwards in this discussion and don't really seem fully aware of the cultural issues and paradigm shifts taking place in your own country, much less anyone else's.

For all your apparent knowledge of Western culture have you ever actually travelled out of India?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
From reality... this was Vikapower... back to you delusion.
Olórin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #275
country flag Smoke944
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 284
Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all Smoke944 is a name known to all
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
that's an understatement bro......i have more respect for 50 cent whores than western media, particularly channels like BBC which take immense pleasure in telecasting semi nude bodies of women(in presence of their husbands) in poverty struck regions in africa, mocking at illiteracy in india, interviewing war affected, helpless muslim women in the middle east and making stories about how they were raped......

rapes in uk and usa have reached a state that it is almost an integral part of their culture now......it's just too funny that they get all high and try to take the center stage when their own situation is beyond repair......

folks who sit and discuss for hours on BBC, CNN about atrocities in the east, i doubt any of their women are safe at home when they are working in the studios......
What the fuck are you talking about?
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #276
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,593
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareerSlamPova View Post
This issue is very deep rooted. As reflected by start da game's post many people here are uneducated or still hold very lowly of women. Besides in an attempt to have the most people friendly from of government we have dug a grave for ourselves cause the only way this country can improve is if we have a much more stricter law system as present in China. The heck even if the current laws are implemented well enough it would be much better but our idiotic dumb and uneducated ministers are busy feeding on people's money for their own self rather than thinking about the country. If only the laws are implemented quickly will it create some scare in the minds of rapists. This case has received international exposure now and it the government can STILL not take some big action then well expect nothing to change here. On top of that we have some more morons claiming themselves to be Godmen and coming up with such disgusting comments for the rapist, the worst part a lot of people even blindly follow them and as Mimi suggested if these people are.not punished they will continue to mislead a lot of people.

Sent from my HTC Desire V using VerticalSports.Com App
right.....ignoring laws of nature and blindly acting according to our intent makes us educated and thoughtful......thanks for your new definition of education......

give me one country where a woman can go out all alone in the night and return home safely every single time......if that was ever possible in this world, it would have happened way back......

i really don't give a damn about what the west think anyway because they are hardly in a position to take a stand on this issue......

being an indian you should know why women are not encouraged in activities what you keep branding as "educated" or "advanced"......on the other hand i am just saying that they are not "practical" or "realistic"......anyway the point here unlike what many people think is not about what is advanced or what is backwards, it's about what is possible and what is not......

oh and i fully disagree with those morons calling themselves godmen......heinous bastards bringing a shame to hindutva and destroying our culture......once again politicians the biggest scum of our country are behind these morons......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #277
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,593
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Why do you insist on using the third person possessive when referring to women?

You are so incredibly backwards in this discussion and don't really seem fully aware of the cultural issues and paradigm shifts taking place in your own country, much less anyone else's.

For all your apparent knowledge of Western culture have you ever actually travelled out of India?
paradigm shift my arse......a few thousands of urban population trying to adopt western ways of living and ending up with broken marriages by their 30s doesn't mean jackshit to other 1.2 billion people......

we have a history of 30,000 years and we know what to do......we don't take formless, shapeless, spineless western suggestions masked as "advanced"......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #278
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity
Posts: 15,145
JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
that's an understatement bro......i have more respect for 50 cent whores than western media, particularly channels like BBC which take immense pleasure in telecasting semi nude bodies of women(in presence of their husbands) in poverty struck regions in africa, mocking at illiteracy in india, interviewing war affected, helpless muslim women in the middle east and making stories about how they were raped......

rapes in uk and usa have reached a state that it is almost an integral part of their culture now......it's just too funny that they get all high and try to take the center stage when their own situation is beyond repair......

folks who sit and discuss for hours on BBC, CNN about atrocities in the east, i doubt any of their women are safe at home when they are working in the studios......
Dude, half those folks talking are women. Do you know what century it is?
__________________
chanda · venus (7) · serena (18) · ana · na · vera

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #279
country flag *JR*
Senior Member
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Putingrad
Posts: 33,585
*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

Delhi rape accused lived on margins of India's boom

By Matthias Williams and Arup Roychoudhury
Posted 2013/01/12 at 3:14 am EST

BADAUN, India/NEW DELHI, Jan. 12, 2013 (Reuters) — In a village in India's Uttar Pradesh state, a woman sits hunched on the ground in a green shawl, visibly weak and shivering in the January cold. She says she has not eaten for days, and neither have her five young children.

She has never heard of Manmohan Singh, India's prime minister, having never ventured further from her village than a nearby market town, and ekes out a living working in potato fields on other people's land.

Her eldest son left home when he was 11. He never returned, and the woman thought he was dead. The first news she got of him was when police from New Delhi turned up at her brick hut to say he had been arrested for the gang rape and death of a student, a crime whose brutality stunned India.

In an interview with Reuters, the mother of the juvenile, the youngest of six members of the gang accused of the attack, recalled the son who left home five or six years ago for the bright lights, and seemed stunned by the accusation against him.

Full article: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre...a-rape-accused

Note: I'm not citing this as any sort of justification for what happened; but combine endemic poverty with the "young female shortage" caused by sex-selection abortion (plus female infanticide) caused by yes, cultural factors. Contrary to the PC nonsense that rape is "all" about power, not sexual desire, a not-surprising result is more rape. (Only the shocking brutality of this rape made it a cause celebre).
__________________
My current avatar (NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell) needs fired!
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #280
country flag mykarma
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,360
mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
right.....ignoring laws of nature and blindly acting according to our intent makes us educated and thoughtful......thanks for your new definition of education......

give me one country where a woman can go out all alone in the night and return home safely every single time......if that was ever possible in this world, it would have happened way back......

i really don't give a damn about what the west think anyway because they are hardly in a position to take a stand on this issue......

being an indian you should know why women are not encouraged in activities what you keep branding as "educated" or "advanced"......on the other hand i am just saying that they are not "practical" or "realistic"......anyway the point here unlike what many people think is not about what is advanced or what is backwards, it's about what is possible and what is not......

oh and i fully disagree with those morons calling themselves godmen......heinous bastards bringing a shame to hindutva and destroying our culture......once again politicians the biggest scum of our country are behind these morons......
So your solution is that women shouldn't go out at night alone even though this young lady was not alone.
__________________
Trayvon Martin RIP:
Will keep Trayvon's Picture until Zimmerman is arrested and justice is done.
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #281
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Indochine
Posts: 31,726
Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Delhi rape accused lived on margins of India's boom

By Matthias Williams and Arup Roychoudhury
Posted 2013/01/12 at 3:14 am EST

BADAUN, India/NEW DELHI, Jan. 12, 2013 (Reuters) — In a village in India's Uttar Pradesh state, a woman sits hunched on the ground in a green shawl, visibly weak and shivering in the January cold. She says she has not eaten for days, and neither have her five young children.

She has never heard of Manmohan Singh, India's prime minister, having never ventured further from her village than a nearby market town, and ekes out a living working in potato fields on other people's land.

Her eldest son left home when he was 11. He never returned, and the woman thought he was dead. The first news she got of him was when police from New Delhi turned up at her brick hut to say he had been arrested for the gang rape and death of a student, a crime whose brutality stunned India.

In an interview with Reuters, the mother of the juvenile, the youngest of six members of the gang accused of the attack, recalled the son who left home five or six years ago for the bright lights, and seemed stunned by the accusation against him.

Full article: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre...a-rape-accused

Note: I'm not citing this as any sort of justification for what happened; but combine endemic poverty with the "young female shortage" caused by sex-selection abortion (plus female infanticide) caused by yes, cultural factors. Contrary to the PC nonsense that rape is "all" about power, not sexual desire, a not-surprising result is more rape. (Only the shocking brutality of this rape made it a cause celebre).

All good points but sex-selection abortion is not caused by cultural factors. Unless if you think China and India have the same culture. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion...ticide_1.shtml

It is all economic: "One initiative in the state of Tamil Nadu was taken to attack the underlying economic problems." Dowries are not unique to Indian culture and neither is it the only patriarchal society in the world.

And you can see how the southern states are faring better in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_...g_by_sex_ratio

We are talking about a thousands-year-old culture. Don't try and paint it with the same brush as what you're painting modern problems with.
__________________
Have I not my talent left? Can I not, like Monica, Serena, Marion, acquire for myself what you would never have given me? - Bel Grugnito Diva
Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #282
country flag Lin Lin
Senior Member
 
Lin Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: A Happy Land
Posts: 27,059
Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

__________________
健健
前前
渊渊
豆豆
雪雪
Lin Lin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #283
country flag Ashi
Senior Member
 
Ashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,480
Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
All good points but sex-selection abortion is not caused by cultural factors. Unless if you think China and India have the same culture. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion...ticide_1.shtml

It is all economic: "One initiative in the state of Tamil Nadu was taken to attack the underlying economic problems." Dowries are not unique to Indian culture and neither is it the only patriarchal society in the world.

And you can see how the southern states are faring better in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_...g_by_sex_ratio
We are talking about a thousands-year-old culture. Don't try and paint it with the same brush as what you're painting modern problems with.

In general Indians are very protective of their daughters. They will try to secure their life after marriage with a good dowry. Parents begin saving up when a daughter is just born.
I also think that it has to do with an age old law where daughters were not entitled to their father's property/wealth at the time of demise. Hence, when she was given away in marraige she was given away with a dowry and hence the term 'Paraya Dhan'. Ofcourse, now all children are entitled in equal measure.
You cannot account for human greed. It also has a connection with social standing, the more dowry you can give your daughter, the higher your social standing is.
__________________
“ For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks – not that you won or lost – But how you played the Game.” ~~~ Grantland Rice
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil
Dinara Safina & Sania Mirza

Last edited by Ashi : Jan 13th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Ashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #284
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity
Posts: 15,145
JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

6 arrested in new rape of a bus passenger in India

By ASHOK SHARMA | Associated Press – 14 mins ago


Associated Press/Altaf Qadri - Indians perform special ritual for the soul of a gang rape victim in New Delhi, India,
Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013.


NEW DELHI (AP) — Police said Sunday they have arrested six suspects in another gang rape of a bus passenger in India, four weeks after a brutal attack on a student on a moving bus in the capital outraged Indians and led to calls for tougher rape laws.

Police officer Raj Jeet Singh said a 29-year-old woman was the only passenger on a bus as she was traveling to her village in northern Punjab state on Friday night. The driver refused to stop at her village despite her repeated pleas and drove her to a desolate location, he said.

There, the driver and the conductor took her to a building where they were joined by five friends and took turns raping her throughout the night, Singh said.

The driver dropped the woman off at her village early Saturday, he said.

Singh said police arrested six suspects on Saturday and were searching for another.

Gurmej Singh, deputy superintendent of police, said all six admitted involvement in the rape. He said the victim was recovering at home.

The deadly rape of a 23-year-old student on a New Delhi bus in December set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such tragedies. Protesters and politicians have called for tougher rape laws, police reforms and a transformation in the way the country treats women.

"It's a very deep malaise. This aspect of gender justice hasn't been dealt with in our nation-building task," said Seema Mustafa, a writer on social issues who heads the Center for Policy Analysis think tank.

"Police haven't dealt with the issue severely in the past. The message that goes out is that the punishment doesn't match the crime. Criminals think they can get away it," she said.

In her first published comments Sunday, the mother of the deceased student said all six suspects in that case, including one believed to be a juvenile, deserve to die.

She was quoted by The Times of India newspaper as saying that her daughter told her that the youngest suspect had participated in the most brutal aspects of the rape.

Five men have been charged with the student's rape and murder and face a possible death penalty if convicted. The sixth suspect, who says he is 17 years old, is likely to be tried in a juvenile court if medical tests confirm he is a minor. His maximum sentence would be three years in a reform facility.

"Now the only thing that will satisfy us is to see them punished. For what they did to her, they deserve to die," the newspaper quoted the mother as saying.

Some activists have demanded a change in Indian laws so that juveniles committing heinous crimes can face the death penalty.

The names of the victim of the Dec. 16 attack and her family have not been released.

The physiotherapy student died from massive internal injuries in a Singapore hospital where she was sent for emergency treatment.

AP (http://news.yahoo.com/6-arrested-rap...093824392.html)


Sounds like business as usual, as far as the rapists are concerned.
__________________
chanda · venus (7) · serena (18) · ana · na · vera


Last edited by JN : Jan 13th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #285
country flag hablo
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 47,699
hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage, and the "big picture"

Poor lady.
__________________
GO HABS GO

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios