2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #196
country flag ReboundAce

ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future
Re: Petra barbecuing in Melbourne Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
It is necessary to prepare for the worst after a fantastic performance vs Domi
Don't you worry, if she is on, painting the lines she could beat anyone
ReboundAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #197
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

This draw though. It's so bad.

WTA is becoming a mini-version of ATP...why even show up to watch when you know Serena def. Maria 6-0 6-0 for the 200th time in the finals? Bar Petra beating Serena, in which case I will fully bet on her to win it all.
petra
•••••
maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #198
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
well I think she is screw!
Se dice 'screwed',azucar pompis;screw=tornillo pero,de hecho,el modismo proviene de la segunda palabra.

Have heard it so many times before...that so-and-so,NOT just Petra,supposedly needs some easy wins over low-ranked opponents to get her confidence back and break out of her slump.......but I'm from the old school where you only get REAL confidence after outplaying the rest of the best...So Petra has a challenging draw at a Slam--tough shit!!This is professional sports,not pee-wee league T-ball

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #199
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Have heard it so many times before...that so-and-so,NOT just Petra,supposedly needs some easy wins over low-ranked opponents to get her confidence back and break out of her slump.......but I'm from the old school where you only get REAL confidence after outplaying the rest of the best...So Petra has a challenging draw at a Slam--tough shit!!This is professional sports,not pee-wee league T-ball
I'm putting that on a bumper sticker

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that treat pee-wee T-ball like a professional sport.

I did have that thought earlier, like maybe Petra needs to either snap out of it and start beating people the way she used to, or she needs a bunch of tough losses so that she realizes she should be winning and steps up.

And I say this 100% as a fan: Maria and her friggin' cakewalk draws.
petra
•••••
maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #200
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphobia View Post
I did have that thought earlier, like maybe Petra needs to either snap out of it and start beating people the way she used to, or she needs a bunch of tough losses so that she realizes she should be winning and steps up.

And I say this 100% as a fan: Maria and her friggin' cakewalk draws.
You understood the first part of the post,right?

I love to see Petra succeed,of course,but I think that so many of these Europeans here at TF forget what athletic competition is all about.It's almost as if they wanted the sporting world to act like their governments: passing out handouts and goodies to everyone(to the point of utter bankruptcy) like some sweet nanny day-care service

I could get an 'easy draw' by inviting my grandma out onto the basketball court every week and then running around with my chest out afterwards,bragging about my undefeated record.However,the games would mean a lot more if I competed against someone with good skill yet still managed to win.In the same vein,no one amongst tennis' elite would respect Petra if she racked up a ton of cakewalk wins in ITF tourneys.She'll only be respected---and will only come to trust and respect her own abilities---if she overcomes worthy opponents

I've seen a few Canucks and Aussies who were caught up in the draw-whining shtick every week...perhaps they're becoming too Europeanized....To me,sports is sports: You've got to beat whoever's in front of you

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #201
country flag AfroIYH

AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You understood the first part of the post,right?

I love to see Petra succeed,of course,but I think that so many of these Europeans here at TF forget what athletic competition is all about.It's almost as if they wanted the sporting world to act like their governments: passing out handouts and goodies to everyone(to the point of utter bankruptcy) like some sweet nanny day-care service
Stosur, Na, Williams, Del Potro, the rest of the Top 10 are occupied by which continent that forgets athletic competition?

Last edited by AfroIYH : Jan 11th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
AfroIYH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #202
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future
Re: Petra singing Opera in Sydney

Petra
Quote:
I play Schiavone in the first round, I practised with her only yesterday! It's tough match for sure but it's also a great challenge

Quote:
Are you looking for ... to face someone who's highly prone to 'injury' defaults,from medical emergencies such as chapped lips,so that she can pick up an easy victory??
Oops
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #203
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroIYH View Post
Stosur, Na, Williams, Del Potro, the rest of the Top 10 are occupied by which continent that forgets athletic competition?
There's humanist education for you.I've no idea what you originally posted and edited but,if you go back and read,I said absolutely NOTHING about the players' mindset(which one would expect to be far different);I commented on the FANS here at TF who,especially Europeans,act like helpless spoiled infants who expect everything to be handed to them in life and have NO CONCEPT of the toughness of athletic competition...as if there were some great tragedy for anyone other than Brie Whitehead to appear in Petra's draw.

I can't even count how many times I've seen neurotic panic such as,'Ohhhh,this draw!' here at TF.Perhaps some so-called sports fans should learn from the players themselves.I'm quite sure that the Brit WC futbol club team wouldn't say,'We drew Spain in our group!Let's quit and go home!'...at least aye HOPE that they wouldn't react that way

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #204
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Oops
OK,Paul,now there's no excuse for THIS one unless there's some famous theater in Melbourne where they put on classic dramas with a horror theme.It's not to say that Fran isn't a much-better-than-average 1st Round opponent,cuz she certainly is...but we have to keep in mind that our fave is PETRA and not some helpless junior WC in her first MD.Honestly,Fran hasn't gotten in form AT ALL so far this year and,IIRC,she usually takes a while to find her level during the season.In recent years,she has done far better at RG and Wimby--maybe even the USO,too,I just can't recall--than she has at the AO.Quite frankly,she played so poorly in the latter part of last year that I wondered if she was considering retirement.

Of course,you'll cite this post IF,God forbid,Petra lays an egg out there,but let's not forget that Petra has made a SF here and should have the confidence of having beaten this opponent previously...and maybe she'll be motivated to give her favorite mushroom harvester a less-morbid thread title

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #205
country flag steni

steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold steni is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Se dice 'screwed',azucar pompis;screw=tornillo pero,de hecho,el modismo proviene de la segunda palabra.

Can you stop with the "azucar pompis" its very annoying!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #206
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Can you stop with the "azucar pompis" its very annoying!
Okay,I promise...is 'chica Petra fanatica' acceptable?

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #207
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You're right. This is the only way that should strengthen Petra's mental aspects (akin to what Davenport said that 'there are no indoor grand slams and that she needs to tough it out'). It's one case acknowledging what for potential someone possesses but it's another case of realizing it and that's where the mental aspects are significant.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #208
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Petra

Oops
Petra:
Quote:
I play Schiavone in the first round, I practiced with her only yesterday! It's tough match for sure but it's also a great challenge
Praciticing against Schiavone, may prepare Petra to beat Franny (we wish), but it won't have anything to do with beating a Laura Robson (who I think Petra can beat), Sloane Stevens (maybe) or Serena Williams ( ), who are totally different players, with additional levels of firepower than Schiavone.

Petra better hope she finds form soon, through her matches.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #209
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future paulmara has a brilliant future

Quote:
OK,Paul,now there's no excuse for THIS one unless there's some famous theater in Melbourne where they put on classic dramas with a horror theme.
lucky me

Quote:
Moonlight Cinema: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Melbourne, 7 February 2013
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #210
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of
Re: Petra visiting Horror Show in Melbourne

Jon Wertheim

Quote:
8. Petra Kvitova: One of the WTA's elite talents has been a mystery since winning Wimbledon in 2011. She has the game to win -- dense lefty strokes, improved movement, abundant power -- but the will and focus sometimes lag behind. If it's merely hot outside, Kvitova tends to wilt. If it's so hot that the roof opens and it becomes an indoor event, her prospects improve dramatically.
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote