News and updates about Victoria Azarenka - Page 41 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #601
country flag Jimmie48
In The Lap Of The Gods

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMIRZA View Post
Do we have any pictures of Redfoo hugging or kissing Vika...i mean in a romantic way? Untile then I wont c this as a budding romance between them
Nope, nothing at all. Like the article says, they don't look in love and if they are I really give them props for playing it this cool.

My guess is still that he's just getting a thrill out of being in her entourage given that he's quite the tennis fan. And regarding his age, I couldn't care less...I was just surprised...dude's old

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #602
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka, Agnieszka Radwanska head nominations for Fed Cup
Written by: Staff on 11th January 2013

World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus and No. 4 Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland head the nominations for the 2013 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Zone Group events taking place the week of 4 February alongside the World Group and World Group II first round ties.

The ITF has announced the full nominations for Europe/Africa Zone Group I in Eilat, Israel (6-9 February); Americas Zone Group I in Medellin, Colombia (6-9 February); and Asia/Oceania Zone Groups I and II in Astana, Kazakhstan (4-10 February). All the teams contesting the Zone Group I events will be bidding to qualify for the Fed Cup World Group II play-offs.

Nine top 50 players will contest Europe/Africa Zone Group I, with the top-ranked Azarenka joined by sisters Agnieszka and Urszula Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea and Simona Halep of Romania, Tamira Paszek of Austria, Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria, and British duo Heather Watson and Laura Robson. Hseih Su-Wei of Chinese Taipei and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan head the nominations for Asia/Oceania Zone Group I, while Canada’s Aleksandra Wozniak is the top-ranked player in Americas Group I.

Nominations for the 2013 World Group and World Group II first round ties, which take place on 9-10 February, will be announced on Wednesday 30 January.

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the largest annual international team competition in women’s sport, with 90 nations entered in 2013. The event is celebrating its 50th birthday in 2013 in the ITF’s centenary year. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas, the Official Bank of Fed Cup. Adecco (Official HR Sponsor) and Bosco Sport (Official Clothing Sponsor) are international sponsors, and Wilson Sporting Goods (Official Ball) is an international partner. Follow all the action on www.fedcup.com,www.fedcup.com/es, www.twitter.com/fedcup and www.facebook.com/FedCup .

EUROPE/AFRICA ZONE GROUP I
Venue: Municipal Tennis Club, Eilat, Israel (hard – outdoors)

[...]

Belarus

Victoria Azarenka

Olga Govortsova

Ilona Kremen

Aliaksandra Sasnovich

Captain: Tatiana Poutchek

[...]
http://www.10sballs.com/2013/01/11/v...tm_source=t.co
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #603
country flag mrudka

mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all

Listen what Redfoo said: "I've got my special one, Number One. She is the love of my life" /second part of video/. They are together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh4qFAX4SO8

Last edited by mrudka : Jan 14th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
mrudka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #604
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka, Red Bull team up
By Kristi Dosh | ESPN.com

Victoria Azarenka, Red Bull team up

As world No. 1 tennis player, Victoria Azarenka defends her title at the Australian Open this week, don’t be surprised if you see her sipping a Red Bull. Monday, Azarenka’s team at Lagardère Unlimited announced a multi-year endorsement deal with Red Bull, which makes her the first tennis player signed by the beverage giant.

For Azarenka, the partnership was a natural fit.

"I am really excited to be part of the Red Bull family,” said Azarenka. “I've always enjoyed the product and admired how they have worked with their athletes."

Drew LeMesurier, director of talent marketing for the tennis division of Lagardère Unlimited, wasn’t surprised to see Red Bull make the move into tennis by joining forces with the rising star.

“She has a certain swagger about her consistent with the Red Bull culture,” said LeMesurier.

Azarenka joins Red Bull’s growing stable of athletes outside of the action sports world. Other Red Bull athletes in U.S. professional sports include NBA players Blake Griffin, Rajon Rondo, and Deron Williams, MLB players Tim Lincecum and Jimmy Rollins, and NFL players Reggie Bush and DeMarcus Ware.

The Red Bull deal adds to Azarenka’s growing stable of corporate partners. She started last year with a new Wilson racket deal, worth more than $2 million over four years. SportsBusiness Journal’s Daniel Kaplan noted the deal was “a huge sum for a racket deal.” She also resigned with Nike in a deal estimated to bring in approximately $4 million annually if she stays ranked in the top five.

Azarenka also signed with Citizen Watch in August. Her other deals are with American Express and Six Star Nutrition.

According to SportsBusiness Journal, Azarenka earned approximately $3 million in prize money and exhibition guarantees last year. In 2012, Azarenka won her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, along with wins at Sydney, Doha, Indian Wells, Beijing and Linz. She also brought home two medals from the London Olympics, a bronze medal for women’s singles and a gold medal for mixed doubles.

Although Azarenka is the top-ranked player in the world currently, she’s not the highest-earning woman in tennis. Maria Sharapova has that title and is the 26th highest-paid athlete in the world, according to Forbes. Her endorsements of $22 million last year had her tied for 10th in the world. Chinese star Li Na ranks 81st in the world for overall earnings, the only other female tennis player to make Forbes top 100 list. Forbes estimated her endorsements at $17 million last year.

SportsBusiness Journal projects Azarenka could earn in the high seven figures this year from prize money and exhibition guarantees, but notes Sharapova, Serena Williams, Li and former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki all earn in the eight-figure range.

LeMesurier says comparisons to Sharapova are a little like comparing apples to oranges.

“Maria [Sharapova] won Wimbledon at 16, which is unbelievable accomplishment. It was a perfect storm,” said LeMesurier.

“What we’re seeing with Victoria is she came on the scene at a later time -- she’s 23 -- but we think we’re aligning her with some really blue chip partners with a global footprint. We hope in a few years she’ll be in the same landscape as Maria.”

LeMesurier says Citizen wants to use Azarenka more in the style and fashion landscape and points out she’s already in their ads in InStyle magazine.

One thing LeMesurier says Azarenka is doing to build her own brand is bringing a digital media director along on her travels. This person is capturing media for Azarenka’s website and creating webisodes.

“It’s a way to authentically showcase her partnerships by showing her away from the game,” LeMesurier said. “It’s a luxury many players can’t afford, but it’s an investment in her business.”

Azarenka plays the first match to defend her Australian Open title on Tuesday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...tm_source=t.co
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #605
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after R1 vs Niculescu.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 15-1-13
Tuesday, 15 January, 2013

Q. Tell us how you felt out on the court. Are you happy with the win?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, definitely happy to win. You know, I couldn't wait to get out there and play. It's been a long week preparation, so you always feel like a little bit overwhelmed before your first match.

So I was the same way. But I think I had a good first match. That's what I needed to, you know, get into that competitive spirit, which I did. I'm happy.

It's a good match to build up from.

Q. You were yelling at yourself a bit behind the baseline in the second set. I suppose that's how much you want the win, having high standards for yourself.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, it was just kind of to bring me back into competition, because I felt like the first set was really flowing my way and everything was going well for me. I was executing what I wanted.

And then, you know, I kind of miss hit few shots and she got really competitive. I felt like I was on the practice court a little bit, letting go few things that I shouldn't.

After that I just really had to pump myself up to get into that, you know, state of mind of competitiveness. From there, you know, I got back and I started to do the right things again.

Q. Not many people play the way she does with the slice forehand. How is that to deal with?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it's definitely unusual. But I know her since we played under 14 years old. She actually plays a lot more spin balls than back then. It was all slice from both sides before.

She's unusual and she tries to make you feel a little bit, you know, miserable on the court, like you don't know what to do, because every ball comes from different angles.

It's important to keep your focus. I was trying to execute my shots, not really worried about what she's going to bring out, you know, because sometimes I don't think she knows where she's going. It seems that way (smiling).

It was important to just keep focused and be aggressive.

Q. Do you almost feel like you need to go out and practice a little bit to get more rhythm after playing someone like that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have the whole day tomorrow, so...

Today is a good day for recovery, you know, just kind of relax the mind already, you know, that I had the match in. So tomorrow's new day.

Q. Did you get much of a reception from the Australian crowds today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Every time I go out there I feel like I'm home. You know, the stadium is so cozy for me, I just love there. And the atmosphere has been, you know, heating up with each day.

I feel like, you know, the early stages of the tournament there are so much more people, you know, that are so excited to see so many players on the outside courts and the main courts.

It was great atmosphere.

Q. There's been a warm forecast for Thursday, up to 39 degrees. Does that concern you at all?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not yet (laughter). I mean, today was pretty warm out there, too. I've played, you know, in the heat. Will be definitely in the same condition with my opponent, so there is not much to be concerned about.

It's just a matter of, you know, prepare yourself for those conditions and try to do your best.

Q. Obviously your injury was no joke and you were honest and said where it came from. That word 'pedicure' is going to follow you around a bit. Do you wish you just said you had a generic toe injury?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, because there is no point of hiding what happened, you know. Everybody kept asking what it really was. So actually when I went to see the doctor who did my surgery, he said the ladies come at least once two weeks with that stuff, so...

I was like, Really? That happen to me first time. I never really hear that. I was talking to Serena that day. She had the same thing happen to her before. I now understand what it is, and I'm going to be really careful the next time.

Q. You probably heard that Serena had an injury today, but still won. Suppose you can't be worried about other players, but have you heard anything about her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I actually haven't heard that because I was just off my match and doing my own stuff. I heard she won love and love, so what kind of injury are we talking about (laughter)?

Q. She rolled her ankle.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Okay, well...

Q. Do you know much about the possible two opponents you might face in the next round?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I have no idea. You do?

Q. Have you looked at the draw at all?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I never look at the draw. No. I know my coach is going to maybe watch the match, but I don't know.

Q. Is it nice to walk around the corridors and see photos of yourself from last year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I mean, those pictures are going to be here for a while. That's kind of great feeling to have.

The other day the security guy, I was walking, and he's like, You got your pass? There was my picture. I said, There is my pass. There it is (laughter).

But I love the security. They are so strict here. They are really making sure nobody gets in. It's incredible.

Q. Is there any difference being a defending champion in the buildup to a Grand Slam?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's just a little bit more off court activity, but the preparation is all the same. I don't feel like there is something that I have to change, especially when it's been working for me.

The preparation is the same. You know, of course you are more careful on some details and you try to always improve and make things better.

But preparation is always the same. I still dance before my match. I still spend all my time with my coach before the match. So it's all the same.

Q. Do you like to stay around the tournament after your matches or go back to your apartment?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I like to go back and just relax, watch a movie, listen to music, do my stuff. We have a long season and I'm going to see all those faces for a long period of time, so I don't want to get tired the first month.

Q. You mentioned you don't look at the draw. Do you not even know who is in your half of the draw?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No.

Q. Not one player?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, obviously who plays today, they are in my half. That's a common sense.

But, no, not even curious.

Q. Have you always been like that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Since about six years, seven years, yeah. 'Cause I used to look all the time and it made me think too much. What's the point?
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...233551051.html
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #606
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after R2 vs Daniilidou.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 17-1-13
Thursday, 17 January, 2013

Q. How did that feel out there? How did you feel with your effort today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I felt really good. I enjoyed a lot the way I was focused. I was definitely something that I stepped it up from my first match, and I was in the zone trying to execute all of my shots. I was trying to make everything happen, and that's what I'm happy about.

Q. When you've got a match like today in a major when you're pretty sure of going out to win, how do you motivate yourself for that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Never underestimate anybody. Anybody on a given day can play outstanding match. You know, especially when they have nothing to lose.
I was just trying to focus on one point at a time and not looking too much at the scoreboard or anything. Just really executing myself and stay in the moment.

Q. Were you worried about the heat going into today's match? Did you feel any of it out there?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it was pretty hot. That's why I was trying to play fast. The first match I got a little bit sunburned. You don't want to make that mistake again.
I was prepared for it, you know. I think everybody knew few days before that that it's going to be really hot. Even at 11:00 a.m. you could really feel it. I wasn't sure if we were playing with closed roof or open roof.
Right before the match I saw it was closed. I thought, Wow, good. It wouldn't be so hot. It wasn't a problem.

Q. So you would have preferred the roof to be closed on a day like today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Actually, I don't know. I was just curious if they're going to close it or not, because maybe at 11:30 it was up to 40.

Q. Stosur had a difficult match yesterday and said afterwards she probably choked.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: She said that?

Q. Yes. As a fellow player, have you been in a situation like that? How does it feel when you know you should be doing something but you're doing something else? Is there sort of a pressure situation that you've felt that is any way comparable to what she's gone through here?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, for sure. For sure everybody felt that at some point in their career. It's sometimes that you think you know exactly what you do, but your body just kind of resembles your actions. You know, sometimes it's just blurry. You don't see anything.
I'm sure everybody experienced that. I have in the past. It's just a matter of how you deal with it. You have to find your own way how to kind of get through it. You know, she's been really honest about it. I'm sure it's not easy for her to play here.

Q. Do you find is there a place in the world you find the pressure mounts when you're playing?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think it's the place; sometimes it's the match; sometimes it's just occasion; sometimes it's just how you feel. It's not really particular to one point.
We don't have a Grand Slam in Belarus, so I'm kind of lucky with that or not.

Q. Do you find yourself trying to do what you did last year in the sense of like your time away from the court? This is the first time you're defending a Grand Slam title, and so are you trying to think back to 2012 and do what you did then?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't really remember what I did back then, you know, but I always have kind of the same routine of what I do. You know, I have been doing it last year; I have been doing it before that.
That's what makes me feel comfortable, so I just try to, before the match, to put myself in the state of mind and in the position that I feel good when I go out there.
I'm not thinking of what I need to do so I can win the match the same way I did last year. It would be a mistake.

Q. You said a couple of days ago you don't look ahead, you know, don't look at the draw. Do you know who you're playing next or who it could be?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yes, I know. I had two interviews before. They told me. (Smiling.)

Q. Since those interviews, has it come into your mind about what you might need to do in terms of playing those two players?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I actually haven't played either of them. I know Jamie Hamilton a little bit. I don't know the other girl.
I'm sure my coach is going to go watch. I have a little bit of idea how Jamie plays, and we will see.
You know, I can only talk about her, since I know her a little bit.

Q. What are you going to do today to get out of the heat, out of the Melbourne heat?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I will stay inside. (Laughter.)

Q. What about your serve? It seemed like you were down Love 40 at I think 0 4 and fought hard to win that game. Are you making sure this year that you're taking care of the serve? Is that something you really want, to get through each match without being broken?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yes, for sure, but I just try to win every game, you know. And of course when it's on my serve and even if it's on her serve, I just try to make every point, you know, the best as possible. If it's Love 40 or whatever is the score, I'm going to fight for that point.

Q. The favorites for this tournament, top seeds, have been doing well in the early stages, dominating their games. How competitive is it for those top seeds and for the best few in the women's draw?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I think it's really competitive. The score sometimes doesn't tell the whole story about the match, and to win, you know, matches like 0 0, it requires a lot of discipline, a lot of focus. Sometimes it's harder than winning, you know, 2 2 or something like that.
So I think I honestly can only speak for myself, but it seems like everybody is in great form, and it's going to be very interesting.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #607
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after R3 vs Hampton.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 19-1-13
Saturday, 19 January, 2013

Q. Tough match for you today. How do you feel after that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it was definitely tough. It's always good to know, you know, you battle through not playing well, not feeling great. It's important, you know, to be alive in the tournament.
You know, towards the end things were going better for me. I'm glad about that, but definitely she played an outstanding match.

Q. Did she surprise you with the power she was putting on the groundstrokes?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. I think she surprised everybody a little bit today.
I didn't really see her play before, but my coach watched and he said she didn't play like that other matches that he saw.
But she definitely, you know, went for everything there was today. And I know the same feeling when you go and you have nothing to lose. You're so loose, you're free, and you feel like you can't miss it.
I felt like it was her day today.

Q. You didn't play that loose and free. Was that because she was so unpredictable and then she got the injury and you didn't really know what was happening with her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I mean, she played really well, you know. I felt like I started really well, then lost my concentration and lost my aggressivity a little bit and let her play.
There's always two ways. Your opponent plays good and you can also make your opponent look good.
There was two cases today, I think.

Q. So in the third set did you feel like you had to play consistent because you knew she was on and off and a little bit hurt? Or did you feel like, I really need to stay up and play more aggressive?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I didn't really feel she was hurt much. It was a little bit obvious she was walking, but, well, when the ball was in play she was going for her shots and they were like this from the line.
I couldn't focus on if she's injured why she's playing that well. I had to really just step up my game and try to, you know, get the most rhythm as possible and try to make her move, try to execute my shots, try to be more aggressive myself.

Q. Did you hear the news about the former tennis player, Gussie Moran passing away?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, no.

Q. She played in Wimbledon in 1949 and wore a short skirt; was one of the first trailblazers in fashion for women's tennis players.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Unfortunately I haven't heard.

Q. You don't know her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, sorry. Obviously that's very unpleasant news.

Q. Always tough to play someone you haven't played before, but how would you rate your overall performance?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Hers?

Q. No, yours.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Mine?
I don't think it was the best performance, honestly, today; but in another way I can say I can play better, so that's a positive note from there.
You know, these kind of matches sometimes are more, brings better things for you in the future, because winning ugly, you know, always means that you overcome something that you weren't feeling great, you weren't feeling all your shots.
So I take it as a positive in the end of the day.

Q. What parts of your game can you improve from today? What do you need to work on?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, everything. Simple: everything.

Q. What did your coach say after the match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, he's the same. (Smiling.)

Q. Little more critical?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: He just said, you know, You can do better, but still, you cannot be negative, because I won the match. You know, she played incredible match, and I won in the end.
You know, after the match you have emotions that you want to improve, and you kind of just try to focus on what you haven't done. You know, later today I'll think, Oh, you know I have done what I have done better and just kind of go from there.

Q. Your first two matches you have won in straight sets. What did you feel today when she won the second set? Any nerves going through your mind there?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Nerves? Sorry? You said nerves?

Q. Yeah.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I just knew that I had to play one more set, and that's it, you know. I felt like at 5 3 I got that game and I felt that momentum, you know, was coming back. After the break she played a great game, and I just had to start from zero there.
I kind of forgot that I played two sets and I had to start from zero.

Q. I guess you have been around enough to know in a two week Grand Slam there are going to be these types of matches and not everything can be perfect now.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, yeah, yeah. That's definitely what it is. As I said earlier, it's important to, when you're not playing that well, you know, to still win the match.
From here, just I can only go up.

Q. How do you prepare for your next match against Vesnina or Vinci? That's not going to be an easier match.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, no, I didn't know who I'm playing, actually. I played both girls a couple of times already. Actually, quite a lot long time ago, last year, but both very different style of game.
You know, Elena is playing one of her best tennis in her life, especially very confident after winning title.
And Roberta, also I feel like she's in the best shape of her life playing good, and she's been showing consistent result through the last year.
Fourth round of the Grand Slam, second week, everybody wants to win and everybody is playing good. I'm looking forward to it.

Q. A lot of players have been asked about the Lance Armstrong interviews. Did you see the interview?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yes, I watched it.

Q. What do you think about the whole situation?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I think, you know, he deserves everything he gets. You know, you cannot go through the stuff and be a hero in the end of the day. You cannot lie. You cannot cheat.
You know, the sport, everybody works so hard to be the best, and you have to respect that. You cannot go other ways. There are easy ways to do that. I think he deserves everything he gets.
The only thing I liked about his interview what he said is he doesn't expect anybody to forgive him. There is no other way.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM   #608
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after R4 vs Vesnina.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 21-1-13
Monday, 21 January, 2013

Q. When you choose to receive, do you always do that or does is depend on the opponent and the situation? Why do you do it? At the start of a match when you win the toss, you choose to receive.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, receive. I don't know. I just always been doing that. It's not particular. It's just how I feel. I prefer to return. If I get to choose to serve, it's not a big deal for me eith. Feels more comfortable for me.

Q. You said after the third round that you had to improve everything. Did you improve everything or she didn't put up as much of a fight as Hampton?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I mean, it's a different kind of match. It's a different opponent. So I don't really try to compare, you know, the outcome of what comes at me from another player. But I felt like I was playing pretty good today. You know, I was focused and in control from the beginning. That was important for me. I feel like I'm improving from match to match. I just want to keep going the same way.

Q. Svetlana said in her interview she thinks you're calmer and more stable playing now.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: That's good (smiling).

Q. Is that something you agree with? If so, is it something you've been working on?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. I mean, I grow, I mature a little bit. I get a lot more experience over the years. I tend to be, you know, a little bit more emotional before. I just try to control my emotions much better. It takes time to learn. I've been doing it over last couple years. But I'm always going to be an emotional player. It's just the matter of how well you can control your bad emotions.

Q. Is there anything in particular you found works keeping it in control when you're playing?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think you always adapt to a situation. Sometimes you need to be more aggressive, more, you know, kind of pissed off a little bit, you know, to kind of pump yourself up. Sometimes you just need to relax and breathe.
It's just a matter of adaptation and what situation you're in and try to figure out and find a way for you to feel the best way to be prepared for the next point.

Q. How important is music in your prematch preparation?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Very important. If it's bad music, it's going to be a bad match. So I really choose it very carefully.

Q. What were you listening to today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I got the new mix, actually new song. It didn't come out yet. So I have a first hearing of it. It's really good, called Sweet Baby, something like that. I came up with the name. I don't think it has a title yet. It's just an amazing mix. It's a remix of an old song.

Q. Who is it by?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Goon Rock.

Q. Where are they from?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: They're a part of a LMFAO group, Party Rock Crew. Yeah, he's a D.J. He made this mix.

Q. Specifically for you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. I wish I would be that special.

Q. What else do you have on your iPod?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: A lot of different music. I have a lot of Rihanna. Every song, every album. I'm a huge fan. Some Russian music, some rock music. I'm really interested in different kind of styles. Depends on how I feel. I also relate music to memories, to situations. So it is very special for me.

Q. What does it do for you before the match? Is it something that helps you to focus or psych you up?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Both. Focus, pump you up, get your feet a little bit moving, kind of get excited. So I kind of get in the zone, and that's it. It just makes me feel good. When I feel good inside, I love to go out there and do the best job as I can.

Q. I think you said you don't have a good singing voice, but your voice is in a Redfoo song, right?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's my grunt. It's not my vocals. I don't take high key or low key there. It's just natural.

Q. He laid that into a song?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. I was a little bit shy and quiet, so you can only hear his voice there.

Q. Is it out yet, the song?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not yet. It will be soon.

Q. Can you speak about your quarterfinal?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's going to be very tough match. I can see Sveta came back much fresher, much stronger. She knows how to handle big stages, big tournaments. She's a Grand Slam champion, as well.

It's definitely an exciting match for me to be in. I'm sure it's going to be really tough. But, you know, I have to get ready and give my best.

Q. In what way are you a different player since you won here last year
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think there's much, you know, difference. It's all about, you know, just improving those little details. You know, you try to get strong, faster, as always. There's kind of improvement, and that's pretty much it.

But I think I've done pretty well. I just need to keep up the same level and try to achieve a new one.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:52 AM   #609
country flag Maruuusya

Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold Maruuusya is a splendid one to behold

To Stay on Top in Tennis, Time Off Counts

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...708833818.html
Maruuusya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:43 AM   #610
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after QF vs Kuznetsova.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 23-1-13
Wednesday, 23 January, 2013
Q. That first set was 77 minutes. You said you were prepared for what Svetlana might throw at you. It was a long set. Just talk us through that first set. It was close and good tennis.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I feel like at the beginning it was a little bit like play around, you know, a lot of back and forth. I think we were both producing, you know, good tennis, but I felt like she was a little bit on top of me on the important moments. I didn't really take advantage of that, and she really did. So I felt like that was the main thing that she got that lead.
Then I turned it around and I took control in my hands and it was more up to me. That's what I felt like was a turning point mentally and physically, you know, and everything else there.

Q. In that 10 deuce game, was that the turning point? Is that what you were talking about, the very long game?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Was it at 2 1?

Q. Yes.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It wasn't for me a turning point, that's for sure, because I lost two games after that (laughter).
But that's what I'm talking about. You know, it was a lot of kind of back and forth. Even though we know each other so well, it was a little bit of a feel there.
There were not really many mistakes; we were really just going for our shots at one point.

Q. You've played a lot of morning matches here. Are you a morning person?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No.

Q. Does this bother you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm not a morning person, but when I don't have a choice, I don't have a choice. I have to play. If it would be my choice, I wouldn't be waking up before 11:00 (laughter). It would take a long time to get out of my place.
But, you know, being a professional tennis player, you kind of cut all that stuff out and you try to be disciplined and professional. Those are the kind of sacrifices you have to do.

Q. As the No. 1 player on the women's side, do you think you should be having at least one night spot or a late afternoon start?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what, I don't really care about that. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't, you know, do anything to me. Whenever I play, I play. I just show up to do my job. Night session, day session, I don't mind.
Of course, everybody loves to play night session to have so much attention. But I feel like the crowd is always there, you know, the stadium's always filled up, so it doesn't really matter for me.

Q. First sets sometimes aren't that important. Today it feels like that was an important first set to win.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's always important. But you're absolutely right. I think it was a lot of pressure there, a lot of, as I said, back and forth. It was important to take the opportunities to kind of make a big statement.
I think I did that and I turned things around into my own way.

Q. In the context of coming to a semifinal in a Grand Slam, that's the sort of match you really wanted to outfox your opponent and know that your good tennis can come right when you want it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I think you cannot expect to have your best tennis on every single point, on every single game. But it's important to know that when you need it, it's there and you can rely on that.
That's what gives you, you know, confidence. That's what keeps you fighting all the time, that you just have to try and try and try.

Q. Serena is still playing out there. Should she be your next opponent, what can you do differently against her in a match that would turn the tide against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what, I talk so much before any matches before that, so I just prefer to keep it quiet and go out there and try to do my best.
There's no point to think what I should do. I just have to go and show my best tennis. It's as simple as that.

Q. The No. 1 ranking is on the line over the next week. Is that something that you're focusing on?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think that's what you guys focus on more, to be honest (smiling). Everybody's talking about it. Everybody's writing the statistics, the headlines, whatever.
For me it's important to just take it match by match. I'm here really to win the title. You know, the ranking comes with that.

Q. Has it mattered in the past how well you were going into the match against Serena or not?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. Obviously not (laughter).

Q. Practicing well, not practicing well, all of that is out once you get on court?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You can feel great and then come on court and play like crap honestly. It can be the other way around. You may not be able to feel anything during your warmup.
But it's just a matter of feeling. You cannot predict. That would be a mistake to predict something.

Q. The last few days of the tournament, do you actually get a little bit excited or nervous, a semifinal, final? Do you feel an adrenaline rise, or do you try to suppress that and try to treat every match the same?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It would be silly to say I'm not excited, I'm not nervous. I think the person who is never nervous is really scary person. I mean, is a robot really.
You know, everybody have emotions. It's just a matter how well you can, you know, control them for you to feel good before you go on court or when you're on the court.
It's just a matter of how well you prepare yourself mentally, physically, you know, to be in the state of mind that you want to be out there.

Q. Is it really impossible to read Serena's serve? You're a great returner, you're fine on second serves, but you played her enough times, do you find yourself guessing on the first serves or not?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think against everybody you sometimes guess because you can read, but, you know, it's not that obvious sometimes. So you kind of unconsciously guess, unconsciously react. Sometimes you just choose the side, I'm gonna go there and maybe it comes to another side.
It really goes off the feeling, you know. I think it's important to just have the same attitude on every serve you get.

Q. I would think against her maybe the most important thing is returning, because you stay with her off the ground all the time, but against any player it's her serve that sort of bails her out even if she's not playing well.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's pretty obvious. Yeah, that's probably the toughest thing, you know, to deal with.
But you have to take the tough things and deal with them.

Q. Any comments on Sloane in case she beats Serena, what you know of her game.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think Sloane is a very, very talented girl. I think over the last couple years you see her development, you know, as a tennis player. Her game has come together. She's all around player, very competitive.
I think she has a good potential. It's just a matter of her, you know, getting all those details in place and really wanting to achieve great things.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #611
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting last question in the press conference.

Q. Any comments on Sloane in case she beats Serena, what you know of her game.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think Sloane is a very, very talented girl. I think over the last couple years you see her development, you know, as a tennis player. Her game has come together. She's all around player, very competitive. I think she has a good potential. It's just a matter of her, you know, getting all those details in place and really wanting to achieve great things.
Exordes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #612
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after SF vs Stephens.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 24-01-13
Thursday, 24 January, 2013

Q. Could you perhaps talk us through the end of the match and what prompted your departure and when you came back.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, you know, I had been struggling a little bit throughout the whole match, from the second set, my back. And it just kept getting worse. I should have, you know, called the trainer a little bit earlier before that when I got to the point that I couldn't really breathe and had to go off court.
So there was a little bit of my bad. But just a rib got locked and kept getting worse. I had to have it adjusted. I really had to go and take that medical timeout.

Q. Can you understand that people perceive that as being gamesmanship at that particular point in the game?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't really because it was necessary thing for me to do, as I said, you know, earlier. I just regret that I didn't take it earlier. That it got to the point that it was pretty much impossible for me to breathe and to play.
It took a little bit longer.

Q. Would you agree the timing was unfortunate?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: The timing, yeah, it was my bad. The game before that when I lost my service game, it kept getting worse. I thought I would have to play through it and keep calm. But it just got worse.
You know, I had to do it.

Q. What treatment did you have?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I had to unlock my rib, which was causing my back problem. You know, the trainer said, We have to go off court to treat that. I just didn't really want to take off my dress on the court.

Q. You said after the match you were overwhelmed, rather than mentioning your back. Is there a reason why you didn't mention it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You mean the question of the interview?

Q. Yes.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what, I think I just really misunderstood what she asked me because the question was I had few difficulties and why I went off. I completely thought of a different thing, why I couldn't close out of match, you know, that I had few difficulties.
So I understand the whole situation right now, but it just really simple misunderstanding of a question. I guess it was my bad.

Q. You were also asked on ESPN and you made no mention of your back as well.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I did say that. I did say I couldn't breathe. It was locked. That was came from my back.

Q. In your previous answers, you attributed the not being able to breathe being pretty much directly to not converting the five match points in the game before. You said you had to take some time to get your mind together when you were going off court. This seems like a very different answer that you're giving now.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: What can I tell you after a few seconds after the match? I couldn't really talk about everything what was going on. You know, I'm telling you what happened right now honestly, that my back was bothering me. It took me too long of a time to call the trainer, which was my mistake.
I took it to the point where I couldn't breathe, which was causing from my back problem, and I couldn't really figure out what was going on on the court. When the trainer told me that was the rib that was blocking that, my back, that's what happened.

Q. It was reported there was also a knee that was one of the problems when you went off court.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, but actually I only took one medical timeout. You know, it took a little bit maybe more time because they were evaluating that. But I took only one medical timeout.
And my knee, I slipped. Was it, I don't know, maybe third game of the second set. So it was a little bit bothering me. But it wasn't that big of a deal. It was just my back that caused my ...

Q. Given how bad it was, were you surprised at the speed of your recovery?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, when somebody unlocks and you can breathe, it definitely helps. But I still feel it a little bit.

Q. Do you have any sympathy for Sloane, who had to sit there for 10 minutes waiting to serve to stay in the match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I haven't thought about it that way because I was trying to make sure that, you know, I can play when I go back.

Q. You were saying, though, that you were choking. That's what you said when you came off court. Did the choking have anything to do with your shortness of breath?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it had a lot to do with that, because when you cannot breathe you start to panic. You know, I was really panicking, not because I couldn't convert my match point.
That's not the case. I mean, I'm experienced enough to go over those emotions. But when you cannot breathe, when something's really blocking you, the stress, that was the stress I was talking about. I just couldn't realize what was going on with me.

Q. When you were going up to approach the ball on match points, Oh, my Good, my rib hurts; you couldn't breathe? You couldn't swing?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I couldn't breathe; I couldn't swing. I think it was pretty obvious that my shots were a little bit different. That's I think the misunderstanding of the situation, you know, what I said that I was stressed out and choked was not because I couldn't finish my shot.
It was just so stressing me out the pain that I had that you know, maybe it was overreaction, but I just really couldn't breathe.

Q. So it didn't feel like a panic attack, that the pain was causing you to panic maybe?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. Because as the trainer explained to me and the doctor explained to me after, when the rib blocks, it blocks your diaphragm and you can't breathe. I'm not a doctor to explain that.

Q. So in hindsight, do you think you owe an apology to Sloane just for the timing of it, the medical timeout?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Apology? I don't know if that's apology. For the timing, I cannot be in control how long it takes to fix my injury, you know.
As I said, they wanted to take two medical timeouts, for the knee and for that, but I wanted to take one because I wanted to go back on court.
So that was it.
The timing that I shouldn't have put myself in that situation to have that pain? Yeah, I shouldn't have done that. I should have done it earlier, for sure.
But I thought I was going to, you know, play through the pain. It was a little bit an issue, but it got to the point that it didn't, you know, so...

Q. Have you ever had that sensation before when you've played?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Actually never. So that was freaking me out, that I never felt, you know, something like that before.

Q. How do you think you would have felt if it was the other way around?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, I have so many times somebody take a medical timeout. But what can you do?

Q. It was very long one at an important time of the match.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, but what can I do? Is it my fault the doctor took that long to evaluate? I said, I don't want two medical timeouts. I only took one.

Q. Do you think some players are abusing this rule, not yourself, but other players use it as a stalling tactic sometimes that you've experienced?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Honestly, I cannot say about anybody, what anybody do. I can only speak about myself.
I'm being really honest here, what I'm talking about. But about somebody else, maybe somebody does, somebody doesn't, but I don't really care.
When I play and somebody takes a medical timeout, I don't doubt them.

Q. When did you start to feel the rib?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It was like two days ago a little bit, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It just got to a point that it was really weird, you know. It was very unusual and I didn't know what was going on, so it really made me scared there on the court.

Q. At what point in the match did it get bad?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Was it 4 2 when I was serving? 4 2. It was a long game.

Q. Is it going to be a factor in the final?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I hope not. You know, really need to unlock that, and kind of did after. So we'll see.

Q. You'll play Li Na in the final who has improved a lot technically and mentally. Do you approach that match as you did before against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think she's in incredible form right now really. You know, in the finals anything can happen. It looks like she improved a lot. Will be a tough match, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Q. Is last year's final experience going to be an advantage for you to face her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I don't really think about it. She's been in a final. She's won a Grand Slam also. She has the experience. So that's not such a big factor, I would say.

Q. You seem a little bit stressed. You have two days to recompose. Talk about what you're going to do to get ready for the final.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, right now I just need to calm down with the whole situation, what happened, make sure that my body's right. You know, tomorrow is another day. Try to practice, you know, and the same day, just try to give it my best.
We'll see what happens.

Q. Do you feel like people give you too hard a time over things like this?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what, I feel like it had to be explained, the situation. I understand the point of people maybe not understanding what I said; me not understanding what I've been asked. So I'm just glad that I'm here, you know, to make everything clear, and that's it.
You know, I think you cannot really judge by few words. The situation had to be explained. I'm glad I'm here doing that.

Q. Can you talk about how happy you are to retain the No. 1 ranking given that Sharapova lost and how hungry you are to defend your title?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm really hungry to defend my title. That was my first, you know, goal. Actually, not to defend, to win the tournament. I put myself in the position to give it the best shot there is, you know, being in the final.
So I'm really looking forward to it.
But the ranking, right now I'm not really thinking about it.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #613
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Wow she batted off what could have been a very difficult press conference very well. This answer especially stands out as impressive :-
"Q. Do you feel like people give you too hard a time over things like this?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what, I feel like it had to be explained, the situation. I understand the point of people maybe not understanding what I said; me not understanding what I've been asked. So I'm just glad that I'm here, you know, to make everything clear, and that's it.
You know, I think you cannot really judge by few words. The situation had to be explained. I'm glad I'm here doing that."

Some of those questions are borderline disgraceful though, especially mid-interivew, where they're literally just repeating the same question in a different form. 2 questions about the final, really?

I'm normally against pre-approved transcripts (as used in football [soccer]) but if this is the crap we end up with, maybe they're not a bad idea after all .
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #614
country flag saul1333
język

saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute

Felt like slapping some of those reporters just reading. Cant imagine what Vika was going through.
saul1333 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #615
country flag Natural Joe

Press conference after final vs Li.

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka 26-01-13
Saturday, 26 January, 2013

Q. You must be very happy with a long, tough match, and you had to deal with quite a bit with the injury timeouts and fireworks. How do you feel now?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I feel really happy right now. It's been a long match. It's been a tough match. Li Na was absolutely playing great tennis. Unfortunate things that happened to her, you know, but that's sport.
But, yeah, I'm just happy that everything I went through, you know, I still could manage to give my best and really come out there and try to focus on my game and play tennis that I can produce. And that's the thing that I love to do, is to compete.

Q. Li Na said she felt you perhaps played better on the bigger games in the end. Is that how you feel the match was decided?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think so. In these kind of matches you always have to take the opportunity of the important moments. In the second set, in the third set, that's what I was doing better.
In the first set, she was really on top of me, I think, she was really going for her shots and making everything happen.
Then I just had to readjust and really take advantage of when she gives me an opportunity.

Q. How much more difficult is it coming into a slam defending the title?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, I never thought about it this way. My mentality was to come and try to win another title. That was my main goal. It was definitely not easy with all the attention, you know, with all the press around.
But it was definitely new experience for me that I think I handled quite well, and I can only learn from this experience and moved on forward and try to improve as a player and as a person, as well.

Q. Was it difficult for you to get your head right going into the final, bearing in mind the talk of the last couple of days?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It isn't easy, that's for sure, but I knew what I had to do. I had to stay calm. I had to stay positive. I just had to deal with the things that came onto me. And that's pretty much it.
I was actually really happy that I went through so many things knowing that I can still produce the tennis that I can and keep the focus that I can. It just motivates me to be a better player.

Q. Is this the most pressure you ever felt going into a match? Your No. 1 ranking was up for grabs if you lost.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I never thought about that. I never thought about the No. 1 ranking. The pressure was there, but I like the pressure, you know. It's interesting. It's very interesting thing. It pushes you to be better. You can take it different way. You can take it negative and try to, you know, think negative.
But I take it as a positive, something that will push me forward to improve, to get better, and the outcome is out of my hands. I just have to be really focused on what I do, very honest with what I do, and that's it.

Q. Were you surprised with the way that Li Na bounced back after the two heavy falls?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: She did, but I think I kind of didn't expect that. You always feel really bad for a player when something like this happens. I kind of I think lived with her that moment and completely forgot that I have to play tennis, you know, have to compete and make her run still.
So tricked me a little bit. But, you know, it's my own fault for letting me trick that way. But I'm just glad on the second one I could keep my focus, keep my cool, and execute my shots.

Q. A 10 minute break for fireworks doesn't happen at every Grand Slam tournament.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Never happened. Never happened.

Q. Does that break up the momentum of the game to a certain degree?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. Everybody can say broke up the momentum, it changed, it didn't. For me, I was just trying to stay focused and really be there in the moment when it's finished, because there's nothing you can do about it.
I mean, everybody celebrates. It's happy day, Australia Day, everybody's happy. I wish I could see the fireworks, too, honestly. But I had to put some hot cream on me so I don't get cold.

Q. What did you do during the break? Did you go into the locker room?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I went in the other room, where I was before, the match before, the exact same room. I put some hot cream on me because it was getting cold. I don't like to be cold. I was playing with the pants on and it was a little bit chilly out there, so that's all I did.

Q. What was the music what you were listening to before you entered? Red Foo?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. Actually, it wasn't. It was one track called Poppin' off in Atlanta. It was a dubstep mix. It has this video on YouTube or Vevo, I don't remember, and it has really, really cool dance, so I was imagining.

Q. Going into the 5 3 game in the third set where you served for it against Sloane, also thinking back to the US Open against Serena, you had a 5 3 lead, did you really have to focus on making sure you wanted to close it out returning instead of having to go and serve for it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Do you think I calculated? I had no idea (laughter).
No, I had no idea really. It's just what happened. At 4 3 was a really close game. You know, she really did a lot of things. You know, I think it was a breakpoint, I was breakpoint down, and I stayed there.
Honestly, I just wanted to play one point at a time. I didn't think two matches before, three matches before, four matches before. The US Open never crossed my mind.
I was just really staying in the moment and trying to collect as many points as I can in this particular game and that was it.

Q. Why do you accept balls from the right hand side only?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, that's not true, actually.

Q. A particular side?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, particular side. I'm weird that way. It's like a stupid thing that you're blaming a ball boy. I'm losing a point, but that's not true. I always take from one side. If I start losing, I go to another side. I'm just changing.
I'm just trying to adjust a little bit the situation, which completely doesn't make any sense, but helps me.

Q. Is it something superstitious?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I guess so.

Q. Were you worried about the reception you might get when you went on court at the beginning?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I was expecting way worse, to be honest actually. What can you do? You just have to go out there and try to play tennis in the end of the day. That's what it was all about. It's a tennis match, tennis battle, final of the Australian Open. I was there to play that.
The things what happened in the past, I did the best thing I could to explain, to do everything I could, and it was left behind me already. So when I went into the match, I was really focused on trying to play that particular match, the most important match of the tournament, That one thing that I just have to go and do, and that's it.

Q. In the circumstances, do you actually derive greater satisfaction from retaining the title than you did actually winning it the first time last year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. It's a completely different mix of feelings. This one is way more emotional. It's gonna be extra special for me, for sure.
I never compare my wins or losses ever in any tournaments. It's just a matter of the feeling that you get, things you've been through, because you're the only one who knows what you've been going through these two weeks.
So it's definitely an emotional one and it's going to be special. But to defend the title, it's a different one, for sure.

Q. Was it emotional just because of what happened with Sloane or are there other reasons why it's so emotional?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Everything. What happened with Sloane, it was a big deal, for sure. It came out as a big deal. It wasn't a big deal on the court.
But I take it as a great learning experience and just try to live the moment and take the best things out of what happened and move forward.
But emotionally, there were a lot of things. Like the match I had in the third round, it was really tough to battle through. So two weeks is very difficult to keep your cool, because it seems in one way so short, but in another way it seems so long. So you just have to kind of try to manage everything.
But I think the whole world knows I'm an emotional player now.

Q. Do you think the way things happened tonight with the break and with Li Na's tumbling a couple of times, the way you handled that situation, that you've won back some fans that might have been skeptical after the last match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know really. I don't know. I hope so. But that's out of my hands really. I was just there to try to be the best tennis player there is, to do the best job as I can and show great tennis.
I cannot go back in time. I couldn't go forward in time. I can just execute and be there and take control of what I can. I've done that and I'm really proud of that.

Q. You said the semifinal was a learning experience. What did you learn?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I learned how to talk a lot on TV. Way more than any win I ever got (laughter).
But, you know, it's just a pressure of something that you have to explain. You have to keep going, kind of make everybody believe you, because nobody did at the beginning. Just trying to be honest really for about a hundred times in a row. That's different.

Q. Have you got some sort of guarantee from your support crew in the box that they're going to follow you around to a few more slams?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I hope so. I really do.

Q. Last year you won and Novak won the men's. In the end of the year, you both claimed the top spot. Are you going to text him something about that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: If I'm going to text him?

Q. Yes.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Can you give me his phone number, then I'll do that (laughter)? I don't have his phone number, honestly.

Q. You said at the very start you learned to become a better player and person. You said before about being honest. Is that what you're talking about when you say being a better person?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, when I came first on the tour I kind of was lost a little bit. I didn't know how to open up my personality. It's very difficult when you're alone. I was independent since I was, you know, 10 years old. I went first time to the States when I was 10 years old. It was a little bit scary and I wouldn't show my personality.
So the whole couple of years I learned how to open up to people and to share the moments with them and how to talk to you guys, as well. I wasn't really good before. I hope I got better. It's your judgment, but...
That's my thing, is to show the personality that I really have, you know, outside the court as well. Because on the court I'm really focused, I'm really determined, I'm going to do the job that I have, and I'm going to have the face that I have, and I'm going to be the way that I have to be to be the better tennis player.
But off court I'm a different person a little bit.