Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #226
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Let's hope drawing Lisicki will have the same effect on Caro as when she played Serena in Miami: she KNEW going into that match that she'd lose if she played her usual patty cakes game, so she had an offensive mindset from the start.
I dunno. There are lots of matches against offensive players where she brings her passive/defensive mindset to them.

I kind of think depth of shot will be more important to Caro than being more aggressive. Plus return of serve will be important: Caro didn't break Lisicki once in their last two matches, that's 19 service games.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #227
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope its like Pazsek, where she shows up ready to play reasonably well.
I think its better like this, where she knows going in its like a week 2 opponent.
She needs the mental part, and here she knows she has to be as focused as she can possibly be
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #228
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its similar to Wimbledon. No reason the winner of this match shouldnt get to Vika.
To me, losing round 3 to Kanepi, or round 1 to Pazsek or Lisicki is the same thing.
You have to beat players like Lisicki, Kanepi, Pazsek to get past the 3rd round anyway.
Its better she plays Sabine in round 1, because she knows she has to be ready and she can enjoy the whole tournament in Abu Dhabi or the whole week in Melbourne.

The much bigger issue is her level of play. Her mental toughness. She wont be any trouble for a player like Vika until she pulls herself together mentally. Its possible she lost the mental edge forever, like Jankovic, Ivanovic.
Thats why she had to be very careful about any technique or style of play changes. It messes with the mental toughness she had, knowing how to win with her old game

But I saw Sharapova change her service motion, then change back, and she won again.
So ultimately, the rest of Caroline's career is a test of her mental toughness, and that determines who is a great player and who isnt
I'd say Pavlyuchenkova is the favorite to reach the quarters against Vika as she's clearly playing the best to start off the year. Kuznetsova is probably the 2nd favorite to the reach the quarters in this section.

Losing in the 1st round of a slam is generally a lot more embarssing than losing in the 3rd round.

I don't think it's a good thing for Caro to be playing a pretty tough opponent like Lisicki at the very beginning of a tournament. Caro is someone who normally needs a lot of matches to get in good form. So by getting such tough opposition at the start of tournaments, Caro ends up getting a limited amount of match play and thus makes the process of finding good form drag on.

In the case of the losses to Paszek and Kanepi, I'd say that those are players that arguably better than Caro on grass and clay respectively. Pre-slump Caro was a lot better on hard court than Lisicki.

I think the state of Caro's shots is as much of the problem as her mentality. For example, even if Caro still had a good mentality, Vika would be taking of Caro's serve and all the short balls she gives.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #229
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I don't think it's a good thing for Caro to be playing a pretty tough opponent like Lisicki at the very beginning of a tournament. Caro is someone who normally needs a lot of matches to get in good form. So by getting such tough opposition at the start of tournaments, Caro ends up getting a limited amount of match play and thus makes the process of finding good form drag on.

I think the state of Caro's shots is as much of the problem as her mentality. For example, even if Caro still had a good mentality, Vika would be taking of Caro's serve and all the short balls she gives.
Caroline just had 2 very ordinary draws and lost early. So this is something different. After she lost in round 3 to Kanepi, she didnt win a match for 2 months. So getting a soft first 2 rounds didnt help her. Playing someone who is having an awful day, like her one win this year vs URad, just masks the problems that she's having.

She & her dad have to look at every facet of her practice sessions. The goal is not to work hard in practice then underachieve in matches.
Thats been happening for too long now. Might be for the rest of her career if they dont figure out how to make her practices a way to improve her game
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #230
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

you can call me a pessimist but I think Caro's chances to win this match are slim, especially if Lisicki serve is on, Caro isn't a good returner and we know how often Caro gets broken in her matches, plus her 1st serve is inconsistent and she is making too many ue's lately!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #231
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
so true! because physically she can't be in better shape than she is now!
Like C.W. Fields said awhile back, Caro had more oomph on her shots when she weighed a bit more a couple of years ago. I'm not sure that's just a coincidence.

For instance, Ana Ivanovic used to have a lot more oomph on her shots before she lost a weight.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #232
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
you can call me a pessimist but I think Caro's chances to win this match are slim, especially if Lisicki serve is on, Caro isn't a good returner and we know how often Caro gets broken in her matches, plus her 1st serve is inconsistent and she is making too many ue's lately!
Agree!! So sad.
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #233
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
So much pessimism! This isn't Lisicki on grass, Caroline has a great chance of winning this.
This type of matchup is somewhat problematic even if Caro were in better form. See Caro's struggles against Goerges and Stosur, for instance.

Caro's gotta do a good job returning and actually get some breaks of serve to have a shot at winning this match.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #234
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
Oh really...doesn´t matter..she lost the last match and she will lose this also. So sad. Could cry.
You really need to consider the surface. On grass Sabine is a much better player than she is on a hardcourt. For whatever reason her serve is extremely good on grass but not nearly as effective on a hardcourt. Obviously Caroline is still very vulnerable but she can win this.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #235
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
This type of matchup is somewhat problematic even if Caro were in better form. See Caro's struggles against Goerges and Stosur, for instance.

Caro's gotta do a good job returning and actually get some breaks of serve to have a shot at winning this match.
Well,both players are better than Lisicki,imo. Caro's biggest opponent is her lack of matches right because of a bad start to the season.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #236
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
Wimbledon 2012 1 st round out

US Open 2012 1 st round out

Aus Open 2013 1 st round Lisicki..it is not funny.
Well, Lisicki is ranked 37; there are much bigger challenges then her in a draw.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #237
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
You really need to consider the surface. On grass Sabine is a much better player than she is on a hardcourt. For whatever reason her serve is extremely good on grass but not nearly as effective on a hardcourt. Obviously Caroline is still very vulnerable but she can win this.
Yeah,I can understand the concern and skepticism but,as you indicate,Caro's not facing peak Graf or some other legend.She's certainly capable,in top form,of blowing Caro off the court;however,she's ALSO capable--if past conduct is any clue--of meeting some handsome Aussie male stripper at a bar and staying out until 3am,barely getting a wink of sleep,and then getting destroyed by Caroline(which may have happened ANYway back when Caro was steadier)....or she might drop her tennis bag on her toe and then add to her long list of injury defaults,this time with Sunshine as the beneficiary.

As Goldenlox touched on before,if ass-whuppings don't motivate Caro to improve,then there's no hope at all in the immediate future...and having easy draws didn't seem to help her at all,so we might as well see how she responds to a test

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #238
country flag Protoss

Caro is practicing with Makarova on saturday which seems an odd choice to me. Makarova is a lefty and I don't think she plays that much like Lisicki.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #239
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline's multi-time victim,the sweet Elena Vesnina,won her first---and probably only-ever---singles title today after 6 finals losses....So it's time for Caro to break her own schneid at this Slam

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #240
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a religious person but I think a prayer circle would be a good idea right now.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread