Ashleigh Barty - Page 56 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #826
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyqld View Post
Which is very bad news for Ash. She's going to come out guns blazing
lol you're right. From what I've seen of Domi though she kind of likes pace/flatter shots coming at her which Ash won't be giving her so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #827
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashleigh Barty

Nothing to lose

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #828
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #829
country flag 5tatRacket
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post
Domi rarely puts in 2 good weeks in a row so who knows. Big ask though - she gets totally screwed with draws, she cops flack for getting too many opportunities & not doing anything with them but look at the draws she gets

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App
I'm so sick of Ash getting tough draws when she is wild carded.
5tatRacket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #830
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

^ For her long-term development it isn't a bad thing. She'll be getting an indication of what she needs to work on.

Otherwise she'll play some scrub and everyone, inlcuding Tennis Australia, will inflate expectation times 100!
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #831
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

It'd just be nice to see her get past the 1R for once.

Playing top players is great but it doesn't necessarily have to be right off the bat, it'd be good for her to get some momentum and match rhythm in before facing one in the 2 or 3R.

edit: and playing top 100/50 "scrubs" is still great experience for someone her age.

Last edited by JarkaFish : Jan 12th, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #832
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

She's only 16, rankings are irrelevant now because she can't play full time on tour anyway. Playing against good players at a young age is a big part of development.

But I must say she has a good shot at Cibulkova if she plays well. The draw also opens up a bit for the next 2 rounds.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #833
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
She's only 16, rankings are irrelevant now because she can't play full time on tour anyway. Playing against good players at a young age is a big part of development.

But I must say she has a good shot at Cibulkova if she plays well. The draw also opens up a bit for the next 2 rounds.
So you think it's better for her to get bounced from tourney to tourney in the 1R by top players then for her to beat a journeywoman or two before facing a top player?
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #834
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
So you think it's better for her to get bounced from tourney to tourney in the 1R by top players then for her to beat a journeywoman or two before facing a top player?
No not really, but for the future in about 2-3 years time this will all be irrelevant.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #835
country flag anthonyqld

anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
It's better for her to play and lose to a top player than to play and lose to a journeywoman.

And you know the Australian media, if Ash played a journeywoman and beat her, the Aussie media will be talking her up and having articles "Can Ashleigh Barty win the Aussie Open?" - which is very bad for her, because 99% of people reading/watching have no idea about tennis then when she loses in round 2-4 they turn on her because they believed the media hype.
Yulia Putintseva , Vera Zvonareva , Dominika Cibulkova , Serena Williams , Galina Voskoboeva , Elena Vesnina
Alison Riske , Storm Sanders , Laura Robson , Jarmila Gajdosova , Olivia Rogowska, Tsvetana Pironkova
anthonyqld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #836
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

My issue above all is the amount of wild cards she's received over the 12 months. 4 w/c's into slams (only one of which was earnt, 2012 AO play-off), a few into WTA tournies and a nice cash bonus for the Hopman Cup.

Im worried with all this that Ash is getting these opportunities a little too easily and may become complacent. Thus, facing some top players will hopefully give her some perspective that a successful career comes from hard work and persistance. I agree Anthony, imagine if she faced some like Gallovits-Hall and smacked her 2 and 2 - the media would go OTT.

Ash seems to be the kind of gal that realises all this, however some tough draws won't hurt her.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #837
country flag Dund

Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice

If she's going to reach her potential its not going to be predicated on how lucky she is in her draws at tournaments, or whether she gets too many wildcards. All irrelevant. If she's going to become a top player it's because she has the talent, and the mental strength along with good coaching to reach it.

These other things being mentioned don't matter. If she can't handle the things that come her way in regards to draws then she's not cut out to be the top player she has the potential to be.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #838
country flag binky-GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
My issue above all is the amount of wild cards she's received over the 12 months. 4 w/c's into slams (only one of which was earnt, 2012 AO play-off), a few into WTA tournies and a nice cash bonus for the Hopman Cup.
She earned the Wimbledon WC.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #839
country flag binky-GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dund View Post
If she's going to reach her potential its not going to be predicated on how lucky she is in her draws at tournaments, or whether she gets too many wildcards. All irrelevant. If she's going to become a top player it's because she has the talent, and the mental strength along with good coaching to reach it.

These other things being mentioned don't matter. If she can't handle the things that come her way in regards to draws then she's not cut out to be the top player she has the potential to be.
Yep agree.

Only thing that is relevant now is that she gets the experience from playing top players and big tournaments.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #840
country flag 5tatRacket
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light 5tatRacket is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
Yep agree.

Only thing that is relevant now is that she gets the experience from playing top players and big tournaments.
Yes, and getting tough draws hinders her in this regard. A win or two in big events will give her lots of ranking points and get her into bigger events and hence more valuable experience.

Going back to small Australian tournaments to stop her ranking sliding depresses me but I don't know her intended schedule.
5tatRacket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote