A question regarding Stanley Kubrick's movie " The Shining" ( CONTAINS SPOILERS ) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1
country flag Adi1987

Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future
A question regarding Stanley Kubrick's movie " The Shining" ( CONTAINS SPOILERS )

I had a query regarding Stanley Kubrick's movie "The Shining".

In the movie, the main motive of the Overlook hotel is to kill Danny as he possess the "Shining" and killing him within the premises of the hotel would ensure Danny and his gift become a part of the hotel.

However Dick Hallorann, who also possesses "the Shining" is killed by Jack whilst trying to rescue Danny.

Does this mean the shining is now a part of the Overlook hotel and that happened because of Jack ?

Could it explain why Jack's photo was front and center in the closing scene as a celebration of having achieved the goal ?

Mind you I'm referencing the overt story Kubrick was telling and not the subliminal's.
Adi1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A question regarding Stanley Kubrick's movie " The Shining" ( CONTAINS SPOILERS )

I don't think so, Kubrick reportedly didn't read too much into the hotel's power. We know in the novel that the hotel wanted Danny dead in the hotel because the hotel would have absorbed Danny and then it would be more powerful. But I think Kubrick overlooked this plot line in the movie.

Remember, Kubrick doesn't involve himself with the "perfectly wrapped-up", you could debate Kubrick films forever, but you'd just be dealing with theory because he offers up no definitive answers...nor did he ever have any.
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
country flag Adi1987

Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future
Re: A question regarding Stanley Kubrick's movie " The Shining" ( CONTAINS SPOILERS )

Well guys , any furthur opinions ?
Adi1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #4
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think about that particular point. When I saw it I was spending the time wondering when and if something would happen and if I could make it through to the end without gnawing my fingers off my hand! Mind you I've done that with all Kubrick films - Eyes Wide Shut equally as turgid and pointless for me!
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute

Stephen King hated this film version.

I don't think Kubrick was really care about the book.

Listen to the silence. That's who I am and what I like.
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote