Scotland striker tweets racist rant - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #16
country flag Flavia P.

Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of
Re: Europe rocked by racism

As horrifically awful as this situation is and as unbelievably brave these players are for taking a stand, I don't expect much to change going forward and if anything things will get worse. We're talking about people who PROUDLY are hateful, ignorant and abusive.
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #17
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

I admire these player's behavior and think it was exactly the right thing to do. They weren't aggressive, they didn't go mad, they stayed poised while making their point clear.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #18
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
how thoroughly sweeping and offensive those comments are. every weekend all across the globe, millions of people go to football matches. if you expect that you won't get a few troublemakers, a few racists, a few morons out of millions, then frankly, you're nuts.

these people should be punished, the authorities should do more, but football is supported by people across every part of society. these people aren't just racist at football, they're racist full stop. only a total clown would fail to see that racism isn't a footballing problem, it is society's problem. it isn't like sexism, racism and practically every other ism don't exist amongst tennis fans, rugby fans or whatever, just that football is faaar more popular so there are more people involved.
I understand what you're saying, but my own experience is that out of all sporting events I have attended, soccer has the most threatening and violent feeling atmosphere and crowds. I love going to the rugby and tennis. Cricket bores me but I've been. And at the Olympics it was wonderful. But I got so scared of going to football matches that I refuse to go with my BF and worry when he goes. It's the overwhelming threatening atmosphere and all the huge groups of males, many of whom swagger around chanting and who behave as if they were drunk! I'm not saying they're racist or any more racist than anyone else but it's not a pleasant experience for me!

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #19
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

these people should be punished, the authorities should do more, but football is supported by people across every part of society. these people aren't just racist at football, they're racist full stop. only a total clown would fail to see that racism isn't a footballing problem, it is society's problem. it isn't like sexism, racism and practically every other ism don't exist amongst tennis fans, rugby fans or whatever, just that football is faaar more popular so there are more people involved.
It's not society's problem, it's uneducated people's problem. And it happens to be a lot between football crowds.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #20
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

with increasing interracial relationships and marriages, most of the world will soon be a mixture of indian, euopean, black and asian complexions......that will mark the end of racism......2050 could be the year......so people have to bear for three more decades i guess......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #21
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Europe? Football crowds are the slag of society.
this, again.
stupid and misleading thread title, please change it.

the italian tifosi seem to be the most blatantly racists ones, or at least they don't make any effort to hide it.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #22
country flag pierce85

pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute

OP seems to have an inferiority complex towards anything European...
pierce85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #23
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
I understand what you're saying, but my own experience is that out of all sporting events I have attended, soccer has the most threatening and violent feeling atmosphere and crowds. I love going to the rugby and tennis. Cricket bores me but I've been. And at the Olympics it was wonderful. But I got so scared of going to football matches that I refuse to go with my BF and worry when he goes. It's the overwhelming threatening atmosphere and all the huge groups of males, many of whom swagger around chanting and who behave as if they were drunk! I'm not saying they're racist or any more racist than anyone else but it's not a pleasant experience for me!
and i understand that, but to me, nothing compares to the atmosphere of a football match. some people won't like it, some people will, and obviously there is no excuse for deliberate intimidation, but i've been going to football for 26 years and i've never had a bad experience in that regard. and yes, i do take your point and accept that it is true for some people. my only issue is with people who say this is a football problem and not one which permeates society as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
It's not society's problem, it's uneducated people's problem. And it happens to be a lot between football crowds.
isn't it up to society to educate people? uneducated people are part of society. so are those who are educated just fine and still think that kind of thing is acceptable.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #24
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't the thread starter also make a threae about europe having more problems with violent crime than the us?

people who are saying thanks for this are obviously silly. the intention of the thread is to show that the us is not as bad as its minorities think. by painting the issues in europe in the same way as those in the us. which is not ok since it's not the same. come to think of it, lol @ people who said thanks for this.

i disagree with chris about racism being a problem at the same level in football as in the wider society. it's not. football crowds definitely don't reflect the general society accurately. and they are infiltrated by very idiotic groups. and they don't target just black people. which is the point some people are missing.

p.s. english people are cheering for real madrid in the place where and as i'm typing this
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #25
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
how thoroughly sweeping and offensive those comments are. every weekend all across the globe, millions of people go to football matches. if you expect that you won't get a few troublemakers, a few racists, a few morons out of millions, then frankly, you're nuts.

WOW
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #26
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Kudos to Williamster for posting.
But I also sense he has motivation of his own.

He is sticking it to Europeans who he thinks are constantly bad-mouthing the US while they can't wait to come here.
Of course but he's an international bigot.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #27
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and i understand that, but to me, nothing compares to the atmosphere of a football match. some people won't like it, some people will, and obviously there is no excuse for deliberate intimidation, but i've been going to football for 26 years and i've never had a bad experience in that regard. and yes, i do take your point and accept that it is true for some people. my only issue is with people who say this is a football problem and not one which permeates society as a whole.

isn't it up to society to educate people? uneducated people are part of society. so are those who are educated just fine and still think that kind of thing is acceptable.
This. And I've also seen countless acts of good natured rivalry, sportsmanship and even kindness between fans of different clubs at matches throughout the Americas (haven't been to European matches, though I still hope to).

The overwhelming majority of football fans judge players by only one standard--can he play?
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #28
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
Didn't the thread starter also make a threae about europe having more problems with violent crime than the us?

people who are saying thanks for this are obviously silly. the intention of the thread is to show that the us is not as bad as its minorities think. by painting the issues in europe in the same way as those in the us. which is not ok since it's not the same. come to think of it, lol @ people who said thanks for this.

i disagree with chris about racism being a problem at the same level in football as in the wider society. it's not. football crowds definitely don't reflect the general society accurately. and they are infiltrated by very idiotic groups. and they don't target just black people. which is the point some people are missing.

p.s. english people are cheering for real madrid in the place where and as i'm typing this
His intentions don't really matter. If he really did intend to paint Europe in a bad light, I don't think he really got very far with it. If this story leads some Americans to think Europe is more racist than they previously thought...well, that's either good or bad depending on what they previously though! Also, what they think (whether right or wrong) doesn't matter half as much as what is actually going on.

For that reason, I'm still thankful that this thread was made. It was a piece of news I might not have seen otherwise and it's always good to be informed

Although, now that I look at the thread title again, I'm finally noticing how stupid it is

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #29
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
His intentions don't really matter.
intentions always matter. it's about honesty. we have so many problems with xenophobia here but it's not the same as what they have had and still have in the us. simple as. talking about football problems in order to make it the same = clutching at straws.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #30
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

True, they do but if his intentions were what some have suggested, he didn't really succeed and there's no reason why this thread still can't be (turned into) a positive thing because the story itself is quite positive.

I think we should focus on that and disregard the OP's possibly dubious intentions. That'd serve him right, right!?

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote