Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which?

2010 Australian Open 2 2.44%
2010 Wimbledon 31 37.80%
2012 US Open 49 59.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #31
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future
Re: Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Which dominates the Schnyder QF, Jankovic SF, Safina F lineup.

As you said Safina was on the rise. She was still outside the top 10 at this point and was new to that stage of GS-play. Jankovic was Ivanovic's bitch.

The fact is that at the start of Roland Garros 2008, none of the 7 players Ivanovic beat had ever reached a Grand Slam final, much less won one. Such a line-up has never happened before or since in Open Era Grand Slam history, AFAIK. (except for those rando late 70s RGs and AOs)
But everyone is Serena's bitch I guess Safina was inexperienced but she came back from the brink in important matches against Sharapova/Dementieva and then schooled Kuznetsova in the semis of that RG. If anything she lost the final more from being outplayed than from nerves She was rising with nothing to lose and Ana had been in the final before and it was her third final, so it was critical for her. But I never knew that point about her having not played anyone who reached a final, pretty shocking I guess. JJ reached the RG semis a year prior...it's not like she faced 7 journeywoman. I'll admit that it was definitely one of the most cakewalk draws though.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #32
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if its fair to dismiss one's run to a title simply because during that run, they got to play their "bitches." In all of Federer's pre-2007 runs, he didn't exactly have to play anyone who gave him that much trouble...at all. So I guess his Grand Slams wins were easy .
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #33
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopero View Post
Wimbledon 2010 or US Open 2012.

But to be fair, any player who has multiple Grand Slam wins is bound to have some that are easier than others. I am sure if we dissected either Graf or Navratilova's slams wins we would find some pretty pathetic draws .
None.

Each slam title she won required conditioning, preparation, drive, motivation, athleticism, mental toughness, a small degree of luck, and defeating the opponent on the other side of the net.
A slam tournament is essentially a 2 week marathon.
To think otherwise would be to diminish ALL opponents that she's faced in those respective tournaments. Is that what we're doing here?
Come on now.

Seriously...
What's up with these Serena threads?

HEY MAX, CAN I BORROW YOUR HAMMER?!
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #34
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

^Why, of all the quotes in this thread, was I quoted .
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #35
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
None.

Each slam title she won required conditioning, preparation, drive, motivation, athleticism, mental toughness, and a bit of luck, and defeating the opponent on the other side of the net.
To think otherwise would be to diminish ALL opponents that she's faced in those respective tournaments. Is that what we're doing here?
Come on now.

Seriously...
What's up with these Serena threads?
it's aussie time and the 'pova folks are .
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #36
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopero View Post
^Why, of all the quotes in this thread, was I quoted .
Sorry debopero. My right hand rebelled and hit the "Quote" button rather than the "Reply" button.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #37
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
it's aussie time and the 'pova folks are .
Ya know?!

A more relevent question to this would be,

"Why do WTA scrubs suddenly play like zoning demons when facing Serena?"

I swear, Serena can play an opponent ranked 300+ and that opponent will play the match of her life as if she was #1 in the world. Yet, here we have a thread that doesn't even take this fact into consideration.

HEY MAX, WHERE'S MY HAMMER?!?!?!
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #38
country flag Jeffery

Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold Jeffery is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
I swear, Serena can play an opponent ranked 300+ and that opponent will play the match of her life as if she was #1 in the world.
#161 Razzano really proves that

Last edited by Jeffery : Jan 9th, 2013 at 04:19 AM.
Jeffery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #39
country flag shoryuken

shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
Wimbledon 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Wimbledon 2010, she was terrible off the ground and still pummeled 7 bitches in a row.
She really should have mauled everyone that year

\ /
I V
serenaslam.tumblr.com
shoryuken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #40
country flag b2b

b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold

this thread
b2b is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #41
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoryuken View Post
She really should have mauled everyone that year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1 View Post
"Jesus take the wheel"
Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #42
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

A Mashatard talking about easy roads to majors?!

Okay, okay..
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #43
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSet&Match View Post
Serena Williams, 2012 US Open
C Vandeweghe
MJMS
E Makarova
A Hlavackova
A Ivanovic
S Errani
Chokerenka
that draw
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #44
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
2012 US Open was a joke of a draw.

Headcase slumping Ivanovic in QF, Errani in a SF is everything you could ask for, it was a ridiculous luxury training on Ashe Stadium.

Pidgeon Azarenka in the final.
Oh yes, because that final was soo soo easy (sarcasm mode off).

People really have bad memory
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #45
country flag pastadudde

pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2b View Post
this thread
who's that cute guy in the photo? (the one wearing the tie)

sorry for going

Last edited by pastadudde : Jan 9th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
pastadudde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote