Fed Cup 2013 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #16
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Glad our Davis Cup captain can take a breather during our home tournament swing Not that we saw him about during the play-off, tho I stand to be corrected on this. Davis Cup seems a bit of a boys club atm - I wonder if you don't worship the feet of Rafter, Hewitt and co, you're on the outer.
My opinion of Rafter gets worse every day....

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #17
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsue View Post
well said as always louloubelle. I would think this incredible that Rafter be absent at this time of year when all the boys are to there giving their best. .......he should be there mentoring, scouting and creating a team atmosphere. God forbid leaving this to Todd Woodbridge who is busy commentating and not giving the players his major focus. He is all about feathering his own nest.
Yep wants his finger in every pie. For him to say that he's practically doing the Fed Cup job anyway.... cheapens the position and makes me wonder how much control the new captain would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_fan View Post
My opinion of Rafter gets worse every day....
I believe he's a tool.... and that by speaking softly he's believes he's some sort of tennis god.

According to Tomic he believes that he told Pat that he wasn't playing Davis Cup for the first two ties, and wasn't suspended. I've yet to read a quote from Pat saying that Bernie was suspended only journalistic heresay
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #18
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
I believe he's a tool.... and that by speaking softly he's believes he's some sort of tennis god.
Brilliant call.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #19
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/m...118-2cxz4.html

Quote:
Molik takes over as Fed Cup captain

Alicia Molik will succeed her former coach, David Taylor, as Australia's Fed Cup captain, after the former world No.8 was preferred to Todd Woodbridge, Rennae Stubbs and Nicole Pratt. But there will be little time to settle in, with the opening world group tie to be played against the reigning champions from the Czech Republic in Ostrava in just three weeks.

The popular Molik, 31, was unbeaten in doubles and compiled a 12-15 win-loss record in singles over 22 Federation Cup ties from 1999. She is a two-time grand slam doubles champion and Athens Olympic singles bronze medallist, now forging a media career. Nicole Bradtke will remain as Fed Cup coach.

"Dave has left big shoes to fill and I am really inspired by the challenge. It is an exciting time in Australian tennis and we have the talent in this team to produce some great results," said Molik, who acknowledged the difficulty of facing the strong Czech team away.

"Of course we go in underdogs, but undaunted. These girls showed against Germany in Germany last year that they are capable of playing wonderful tennis and winning ties that no one expects them to win."

Woodbridge, Tennis Australia's head of professional tennis, will fill a mentoring role.
"Alicia has a wealth of experience at the top level and in Fed Cup and will be a great leader for this team," he said.
"Alicia's strong and recent involvement with the tour and Fed Cup give her a great perspective for the captaincy and her personality and leadership style will be an asset for the team."
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #20
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

If Todd's mentoring Alicia who's mentoring Todd

Should've been Nicole's Bradtke's job I believe. Like Rafter, Molik has little experience in managing a team and getting the best of our of them.

Maybe TA prefers more high profile captains these days. Nicole Pratt seems to be too committed to our junior programs, but maybe Rennae was seen as a loose cannon. Hope they get Stubbsy involved either way.

I think the team picks themselves, albiet none go in with a great deal of form:
Sam
Jarka
Casey
Ash

Stubbsy confirmed last night during Kvitova's match that Petra will play. She'll probably join Safarova, Hradecka, Hlavackova.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #21
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted Stubbs as captain

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #22
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind this choice. I still think she's a little young, and older players like Bradtke, Stubbs and Pratt would be a more logical choice, but Alicia is VERY popular with the players and she'd be a great calming influence during the matches.

Stubbs is far too emotional, so that may in fact hinder some of the girls at the sit downs Who knows. I still reckon Bradtke would've been my first pick, but clearly she's happy with the coaching role.

It was down to Todd (thank God he didn't get it), Pratty, Rennae and Alicia, so Bradtke didn't even apply.
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #23
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I think Alicia at least deserves the benefit of the doubt on this. As TS said, her laid-back personality may make for a more relaxed team atmosphere than the more chaotic style of Stubbsy would. And in Nicole she's got a very experienced coach to support her and help her find her feet.

Tough job to get the Czechs first up though. But I suppose the nothing-to-lose nature of the tie could actually be a blessing, imagine blowing a near sure win in her first outing as captain.

And who knows, they may even pull off the miracle. I think Sam will be mightily relieved just to be out of Australia by then, and she actually showed some good form in those bits of her match against Zheng when she wasn't choking. Ash and Casey just pulled off a great win in doubles, so that might be an option to release Sam from the pressure of having to play both singles and doubles. Even Jarka is showing some signs that she might have turned a corner, and she usually thrives in the FC atmosphere. And maybe best of all, Petra and Lucie are both struggling for form atm. I know it's a long shot but stranger things have happened.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #24
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

I'm happy with that choice. Alicia just said when commentating the Wickmayer/Kirilenko match we could have a new doubles combo in Ash/Casey
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

AND OF COURSE ALL THE AUSSIES!!!
Chris93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #25
louloubelle

Yes, a pity that Nicole didnt apply in the end as she wouldve been the logical choice.

Its been a problematic position to hold (Bowrey, Alexander and the combination of Goolagong/Woodforde.. can attest) so hopefully Alicia has got the mettle to deal with what comes her way. So yes, the influence from Nicole will hopefully assist. Admittedly in the history of Fed Cup, Taylor's tenure was probably the least uneventful
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #26
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Stosur vs Kvitova should be a high quality contest

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #27
country flag aussie_fan

Quote:
Admittedly in the history of Fed Cup, Taylor's tenure was probably the least uneventful
Although, we shouldn't forget the absolute disaster that was the loss to ukraine at home in 2011 when Taylor played an injured Rodinova in 3 matches.

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #28
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Although, we shouldn't forget the absolute disaster that was the loss to ukraine at home in 2011 when Taylor played an injured Rodinova in 3 matches.
Yeah that was shocking. Pretty sure Ferguson or whoever he chose not to use was in decent form too.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App

Olivia ROGOWSKA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Dasha GAVRILOVA Heather WATSON Maddison INGLIS
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR Aleksandra KRUNIC
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #29
louloubelle

Quote:
Yes, that was a disaster! I was probably more alluding to the rocky relationships the captains have had with certain players that somehow DT managed to avoid:
McQuillan publicly slamming Lesley Bowrey and that she gave more time (and favoured) Jelena Dokic.
John Alexander accusing Nicole Pratt of not playing due to not being paid enough.
Rennae Stubbs falling out with our natural treasure Goolagong and Mark Woodforde - and saying the game had past Evonne.

DT kept things fairly low key (part from the Glen Iris debacle) but the position has often attracted drama Hopefully Alicia has the skills to manage things unlike Rafter who seems to just think suspensions are the way if he sees something he doesn't like.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #30
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I don't join the party but this thread is turning into a bit too much of a "let's bitch about people we don't like fest" for my liking.

Blaming DT for playing Rodionova 3 times is ridiculous. She was easily the second highest ranked singles player present at the time, and he backed her to come good. The best thing about Taylor as a captain was that he stuck by his players, and didn't sow panic by making sudden changes at the first sign of trouble. Nastya should have won both those singles matches. That she didn't win one was hardly DT's fault. Ditto for the doubles.

Not that this is a DC thread in the first place, but from where I see it Tomic was behaving like an idiot, and the suspension seems to have had a positive effect on him, so where's the problem? And why should Rafter need anybody's permission to take a holiday whenever and wherever he likes, as long as it's not during DC week?

Not saying either of these guys are perfect, but for my money it's a bit too easy to just blame them for every real and imagined thing that goes wrong.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote