Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of
Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

Its a stupid sports cliche and yes it does get annoying.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabar View Post
OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?
No.

Serena's "I have nothing to lose" lets us know we can make plans for ~1 hour after the match, because that's how quickly she will brush aside her opponent.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
country flag Crater718

Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold

what about "I have everything to gain by winning" phrase?
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Mind games
Roookie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #6
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater718 View Post
what about "I have everything to gain by winning" phrase?
That would be a positive spin. Although it goes without saying.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #7
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

It's definitely a sad, defeatist phrase. Coming from Serena though it's absurd.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #8
country flag End da Game

End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light

maybe because they don't, they're multi-millionaires making living by playing a game they enjoy and they get to travel all over the world, how much sweeter can life get?

nah just joking
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

it's a sign, the moment they say it you know they will UNLEASH
ShiftyFella is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #10
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

a fool's phrase which allows the opponent to relax and shifts the onus on to the lesser player to perform better than what people would actually have expected of him......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #11
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...tova-wimbledon

....the old cliche that Kvitova will have nothing to lose was quickly shot down by the 21-year-old. "Of course I have something to lose," she said. "I'm going on the court for the win and not to lose, for sure. I'm staying positive. I am not nervous and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I just have to play my best, try 100% and then I can win."

pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Players as in Serena?
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #13
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

It's to take the pressure off themselves and it's a phrase they're fed by their PR or have seen other top players say.

The likes of Sharpie say it too; another phrase I hate: something like "I just have to go out there and play my own game" as if they don't have to take into consideration what tactics or strengths their opponents have...

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely ain't a champion's mentality.

Renochka uses it because she is a drama queen. To be honest, it is getting the tiniest bit annoying.
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #15
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
It definitely ain't a champion's mentality.

Renochka uses it because she is a drama queen. To be honest, it is getting the tiniest bit annoying.
Says an online drama queen.