Rape and how societies react - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #181
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i am done with this thread......i no longer want to discuss with people with agendas and whose motive is just to piss off indian posters......

enjoy your continual attacks on india and get a kick out of it......i can only pity such people because there must be most things wrong with their own nations, for them to be having to exhibit uninvited interest on low points of other countries in order to self-justify their own sustenance in their respective countries......
Sounds like a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #182
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Hmmm, I said in the post you cited that I still think Ashi would be an asset to her country's Parliament, this spat notwithstanding. I still feel that she's a person of great ability, who unfortunately chose 2B an apologist for Start da Game's nutty "lectures" ITT, on the subject of what was proper for non-Indians to discuss. So we had a little tiff, no big deal. For example, you and I both watch American football, and have seen (very good) NFL quarterbacks sometimes scold their own (very good) receivers, and vice versa.

No major network is perfect. For example, the leading left-of-center cable news channel in the United States is MSNBC. As Microsoft has almost no editorial role, its the cable news outlet of NBC; which is a subsidiary of General Electric. So there's one set of issues MSNBC's usually aggressive hosts largely ignore: anything nuclear (be it power generation or weapons). I find The Big Fight debate show on NDTV interesting, but that doesn't mean host (and CEO) Vikram Chandra is necessarily a future Saint, or should be so judged.
I mean really.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #183
country flag mykarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
You make personal attacks on posters who disagree with you all the time
You mean personal attacks like I think you're a sicko?
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #184
country flag Lin Lin

Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute

Poor girl,I hope women could get much more protection in India
豆豆
雪雪
Lin Lin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #185
country flag Lin Lin

Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute

Poor girl,I hope women could get much more protection in India
豆豆
雪雪
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #186
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
"Without touching the cultural aspects"? You mean like ppl being burned to death for marrying someone from the wrong caste? Or do you "only" mean the killing of female babies (for no reason other than gender) both B4 and after birth? Maybe both?

By that fucked up "logic", white South Africans could have said the same thing about apartheid, the pre-1865 US about slavery, Nazi Germany about the Jewish Laws, etc.
Go start your own fucking board, and you can tell ppl "who can discuss what".
That's rich coming from TF's #1 meddlesome battle axe. indeed.

My Top 3 Faves!
JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:36 AM   #187
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
^^

it is our problem, not yours.......you have your own problems to look at......first take care of them COMPLETELY, then only you qualify for offering suggestions to foreign countries......

now why i poked my nose in a topic like the US gun law is because it is seriously affecting my people as well.......that is all i am saying......

advise? yes, you are free to offer without touching the cultural aspects......

expressing the typical west supremacy(when it doesn't even exist in the first place) and trying to portray your country as one with no loopholes in relative terms? absolutely no......
I call bullshit. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:13 AM   #188
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentenaire View Post
Ashi, I've enjoyed your insights in this topic. I understand that you wish to defend your country. I never meant to diss India. I see these protests as a good sign. You can feel proud of everyone who's standing up now, who's demanding change. That's a positive thing.

I was surprised to find, even in this thread, the very mentality that your fellow countrywomen are protesting against. When I saw the picture on CNN of women holding up the sign "don't tell your daughters not to go, tell your sons to behave themselves", I immediately want to post it here but someone else had already beaten me to it.
I believe this is the post you are talking about.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=132

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:36 AM   #189
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I call bullshit. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
It was long overdue for Start Da Game to get out of this thread.

I don't why, but for some reason, he had convinced himself he was making headway.

He actually believes he would be successful in stopping or discouraging non-Indians from posting in this thread.
For him, anyone critical of Indian institutions (politicians , law enforcement, judicial system) for not taking the crime of sexual violence against women seriously, was really on a mission to smear India and its people; show India in a bad light.

And that was unacceptable to him. He even asserted non-Indians were not qualified to comment on the matter and were not invited.
Adding, India is beyond the understanding of non-Indians, it is too complex for them.

He finally gave up when he realized it wasn't just I and a couple of posters who find his comments nonsensical, but as more posters discover the thread and read his posts, without exception, each was shocked by his comments and the vitriol in them in light of thread subject matter.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jan 3rd, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:41 AM   #190
country flag Lin Lin

Watching
豆豆
雪雪
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:41 AM   #191
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulava View Post
It's nothing to do with pointing fingers or my pride. I stated the global reality. Perhaps you should go to FBI website and check the stats or go to UN website and check on rapes committed in countries in terms of per-capita. Indian stats are not high (1.6 per 100,000) when compared to volume of cases in many developed nations. But still over 26,000 (2011) number here is completely unacceptable. Do you want me to quote the US numbers? (it's more than three times).
You still don't get it, this is not about the USA. It about India, specifically the crime of rape, sexual violence in this particular context.
I don't know of any Americans in this discussion or elsewhere who has argued there is no rape in our country. It is how you deal with it which is on trial here.

As I told Start Da game when he asked me if I wanted more stats, I responded he could do as he wishes

The question before us is. Why is it that this crime of rape, sexual violence against women, is not taken seriously in India?
That also seems to be the question the demonstrators, men and women, are asking.
The answer to this question does not lie in the FBI statistics. That is just a diversion tactic that does not move the discussion forward.

You know very well, that there have been several discussions about US and its shortcoming on this forum, and anybody, including non-Americans, can participate.

Regarding the crime of rape, there was a time in this history this country ,the USA, where rape was not taken seriously; it took people of good will to tell to their elected officials, the law enforcement, that it was not acceptable.
It take demonstrations, civil right groups organizing, community organizations to convince hearts and mind of people who were previously indifferent.

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #192
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

What we should really be talking about is the social and economic conditions that led to this rape and other rapes. I think Ashi(?) mentioned that these men were from the slums and had little going for them. They were unlikely to get wives or regular jobs. These are the issues we should be talking about rather than something like "the culture that produces this violence..." Because there is nothing wrong with Indian culture. There is something wrong with Indian society right now due to the social and economic conditions that are in the country right now. So instead of talking about this, if westerners are saying that somehow it's Indian culture that's allowed this to happen then it's pretty insulting.

But of course, people don't want to talk about root causes, it's all about sensationalist politics when something like this happens and then it's forgotten.

I also find it insulting that this is compared to something like gun shootings in US. Because this is a result of deep social and economic problems not a result of 50% of the citizens deciding "Hey I want to have a gun". It's not easily solved.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #193
country flag tammywilson52

tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice tammywilson52 is just really nice

I think this kind of things or incidence happens in India not because of their culture and social and economic condition but the cheap tendency or mentality of some people over there about a women or a girl.
tammywilson52 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #194
country flag mykarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
What we should really be talking about is the social and economic conditions that led to this rape and other rapes. I think Ashi(?) mentioned that these men were from the slums and had little going for them. They were unlikely to get wives or regular jobs. These are the issues we should be talking about rather than something like "the culture that produces this violence..." Because there is nothing wrong with Indian culture. There is something wrong with Indian society right now due to the social and economic conditions that are in the country right now. So instead of talking about this, if westerners are saying that somehow it's Indian culture that's allowed this to happen then it's pretty insulting.

But of course, people don't want to talk about root causes, it's all about sensationalist politics when something like this happens and then it's forgotten.

I also find it insulting that this is compared to something like gun shootings in US. Because this is a result of deep social and economic problems not a result of 50% of the citizens deciding "Hey I want to have a gun". It's not easily solved.
First of all you can't believe that only men from the slums abuse women in a culture where women are afraid to report rapes to the authorities and secondly not talking about these atrocities won't change the poverty in India. I'm just happy that the people of India have had enough and are letting their government and the world know they've had enough and aren't taking it anymore.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #195
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Some of the people in this thread as well as the ones out there are all just too busy with their own agendas, instead of focusing on whats important and right.

Disgusting to see some people trying to sweep this under the rug, point fingers at the short-comings of other countries to defend their own, use stereotypes to attack a culture, use culture as a defense for repressive and backward practices and present their narrow, ignorant views as facts. What the heck?

Not even going to bother with the 'why do women even need to go out at night' comments. Disturbing.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote