Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #46
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

just some random thoughts, from some of the other matches i watch, lots of players nowadays just playing the "old caro style", they are doing well, since some of them are more powerful then caro, some of them can change the pace and direction easier than caro.

start to think, if caro didn't listen to the experts, didn't change her style, what will her result be now?
jasminefu623 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 05:33 AM   #47
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminefu623 View Post
just some random thoughts, from some of the other matches i watch, lots of players nowadays just playing the "old caro style", they are doing well, since some of them are more powerful then caro, some of them can change the pace and direction easier than caro.

start to think, if caro didn't listen to the experts, didn't change her style, what will her result be now?
I don't think anybody in the top 20 plays as defensively as Caro does though.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #48
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.
You are SUCH a foreigner: 'Advisor' is spelled with an "O",but I agree with your premise that Caro should find another perspective as long as it's someone who can get along with dad

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #49
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I don't think anybody in the top 20 plays as defensively as Caro does though.
Nothing wrong with players having different styles. You have to play well on the key points. When its 4-4, thats when the best players stand out.

Craig Gabriel@crosscourt1
Caro and Rory have arrived in sydney for #sydneytennis
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #50
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

I loved Piotr's coaching comments, they were spot in. It must be frustrating when she does everything right in practise, then ditches it during matches. At some point, it will click. She spent most of the second set in Caroland at the Brisbane marking behind the baseline again. It seemed like she was just not mentally clear when she went into the match.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #51
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Nothing wrong with players having different styles. You have to play well on the key points. When its 4-4, thats when the best players stand out.

Craig Gabriel@crosscourt1
Caro and Rory have arrived in sydney for #sydneytennis
She's too defensive for her own good though. Being stuck well behind the baseline or pretty much just running down balls isn't how she's had her most success.

I think it's kind of funny that with her build she's so defensive in her game. She plays a lot smaller than she is.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #52
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by manixdk View Post
I loved Piotr's coaching comments, they were spot in. It must be frustrating when she does everything right in practise, then ditches it during matches. At some point, it will click. She spent most of the second set in Caroland at the Brisbane marking behind the baseline again. It seemed like she was just not mentally clear when she went into the match.
I rather dislike the tone/style of his coaching.

Coaching relationships sometimes go stale with a team or player no longer really hearing what the coach is saying. Do you think Caro is at or near that point?
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #53
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Something was wrong going back to when she lost her 1st matches to Vinci & McHale at Rogers Cup & Cincy in summer of 2010.
This is a year and a half later. She is not the player she was. Doesnt mentally compete the same way.

I also think a full time coach, like Sanchez is helping Petrova, would give her better strategies, but if her level drops off when its crunch time, there's nothing a coach can do.
Its the same for Jankovic, who was an excellent player. You have to be able to start each set holding serve, and finish each set playing at a high level.
And Caroline is not doing much of that for a long time now

Hopefully she can figure it out, but right now, everyone wants Caro in their section of the draw

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #54
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand him correctly even Piotr doesn't want her to play so defensive. He's urging her to play closer to the baseline and don't hit through the middle so much. That comes pretty close to what Sanchez and TJ also wanted I think. But most of us also say that. Question is whether Piotr is a good enough coach to make Caroline confident enough to actually do it (?). And I've heard Sam Smith say several times in her commentary that the problems Caro is having with her forehand can be EASILY solved. Again, does Piotr have the technical know-how to do that? I don't know. But even though I can't answer those questions, I feel the same way as Protoss about his style of coaching, at least when she calls him on court. You don't encourage your player by telling her that she's a clown or that she basically sucks. That doesn't sound like much of a pep talk to me.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #55
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

The reasons for Caroline`s decline

1) Talk about #1 without Grand Slam finally got to her (FO 2011)

Caroline was strong for so long, but at FO 2011 the talk was too much even for her. She bombed out to Hantuchova. Caroline is a strong, positive person, but not a robot. With each press conference the talk about not deserving #1 put more and more pressure on her to win a Grand Slam.

2) Rory

Rory is now her Top priority, not tennis anymore. Tennis is only #2. Skipping training to be with him is completely unprofessional. I can`t see the fire she used to have on court anymore. The will to win is not 100 % anymore. Caroline is not 100 % focused on court anymore. She lost her consistency, her fire, her mental strength. Because her #1 is Rory.

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #56
country flag Sinead94

Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all Sinead94 is a name known to all

I saw the highlight of the match and all I can say is that if Caro keep on playing like that, she won't be able play tennis in her late; physically she'll be dead. During this match most of the time she was behind the baseline, chasing the ball; the worst thing about the way she played is that most of her ball were short and in the middle of the court even though that Pervak isn't really a powerful player.

I don't know if it's because of Rory or because she needs a new coach but if she doesn't find a solution soon, her ranking may badly suffer.
Sinead94 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #57
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead94 View Post
I saw the highlight of the match and all I can say is that if Caro keep on playing like that, she won't be able play tennis in her late; physically she'll be dead. During this match most of the time she was behind the baseline, chasing the ball; the worst thing about the way she played is that most of her ball were short and in the middle of the court even though that Pervak isn't really a powerful player.

I don't know if it's because of Rory or because she needs a new coach but if she doesn't find a solution soon, her ranking may badly suffer.
Definitely. Just to hold on to a top 10 ranking (let alone to go up again) she'll have to improve her level because she'll face (if she even makes it that far) the top players sooner in a tournament than for most of last year.

Good point about the toll it might take on her body in the long run to just be a retreiver of balls. She should play closer to the baseline. She's not a power hitter by any means, but she doesn't have to be. Playing closer to the baseline in itself takes time away from her opponents. From what we hear she actually does that in training, but for whatever reason she doesn't have the confidence to do it in an actual match.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:55 PM   #58
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
The reasons for Caroline`s decline

1) Talk about #1 without Grand Slam finally got to her (FO 2011)

Caroline was strong for so long, but at FO 2011 the talk was too much even for her. She bombed out to Hantuchova. Caroline is a strong, positive person, but not a robot. With each press conference the talk about not deserving #1 put more and more pressure on her to win a Grand Slam.

2) Rory

Rory is now her Top priority, not tennis anymore. Tennis is only #2. Skipping training to be with him is completely unprofessional. I can`t see the fire she used to have on court anymore. The will to win is not 100 % anymore. Caroline is not 100 % focused on court anymore. She lost her consistency, her fire, her mental strength. Because her #1 is Rory.
I agree with your first point. I have no idea if she skips training though. I mean, she could hardly look any fitter than she does and her stamina is second to none. So I'm sure that she works very hard on the physical part of the game. Problem may be that she doesn't work enough on her technique, which may explain why she continues to struggle with her forehand. I'm obviously just guessing, but if she has been working on that we sure don't see any positive results - or not often enough anyway. As I've said before, towards the end of last year the forehand down the line was a pretty effective shot for her in some of her matches. I didn't see any of that in the Pervak match anymore though.

....But it's early days. Let's hope for better in Sydney. It's all we can do.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #59
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead94 View Post

Yeah, Caroline used to have a good backhand. She could go up the line or crosscourt. Her forehand was okay. She couldnt blast it, but she could place it deep to either side of the court.
Now its mental. Nobody can win just setting up their opponents with short balls, or making errors early in points.
She cant hit with a decent mix of pace & placement anymore.
I dont know if its Rory, although that will be how its written in history. Because he showed up in her life when her game fell apart.
But its up to Caro to play steady with decent pace. She used to do that. Suddenly the errors came out at the worst times. Now everything seems out of sorts.
Its going to take a big mental effort from Caro & her team. They need to watch tapes ( I would suggest YEC 2010 3rd set vs Fran and IW vs Marion)
But instead of running from the successful defensive player she used to be, she should try to get back to that form, study how she was winning 9 of 19 tournaments, and then improve her serve from there

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #60
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Good point about the toll it might take on her body in the long run to just be a retreiver of balls.
Not really, imho. There is no empirical evidence to suggest such a claim.

Athletes with predominantly short muscle fibers will excel in sports requiring explosive contraction of muscles. Sprinters as an example. They rarely are competitive at a 'high' age. They are also very prone to injuries, as the explosive movements is a big strain on muscles and the body. Tennis BBB's fall into this category.

Athletes with predominantly long muscle fibers will excel in sports requiring stamina. The marathon runner is the example here. They are often quite competitive at an 'old' age and are normally not as injury prone as 'power' athletes. The main cause of injury stems from exhaustion. Tennis 'pushers' fall into this category.

Playing style alone, favours the tennis pusher. However, obviously other things play a big role. Genetics. Training methods. Eating habits and blah blah.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread