2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:09 AM   #46
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold
Re: Petra lost to Nastya in Brisbane

Ohhh Petra.

She tried.
petra
•••••
maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:42 AM   #47
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I really don't know what to say, other than, let's see what happens in Sydney?
She better win Sydney cause it has weak field and floping hard there

Overall i liked what Petra displayed but she needs to fix her head, it's more important on priority list than fitness
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM   #48
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
She better win Sydney cause it has weak field and floping hard there

Overall i liked what Petra displayed but she needs to fix her head, it's more important on priority list than fitness
I'm trying to be polite and not sound mean Shifty. But I have to ask; since you mentioned Petra's head: How to you blow numerous BP opportunities, plus blow you own serve (when you know you can take it into a 3rd set), with a player that has known serving, DF and crumbling issues.

I mean, just the quality alone of many of Petra's ROS winners should have made her win the match. Pav's didn't come close to the consistent and spectacular quality of Petra's blistering ROS during the match, and Petra still lost! How do you explain that?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:58 AM   #49
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Pavs played smart. She was hitting drop shots, moving Petra around and I thought she served very well – infrequent DFs. She wasn't rushing it. And if you let it, that kind of thing would really get inside your head and mess up your mentality.

But you're right. She could have won it...and we all know she has the talent necessary to do so. But she didn't. It's something mental. (Fitness is one of the most important things...but you can be fit as hell and still be a mess. Exhibit A: Sam Stosur. )
petra
•••••
maria
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 07:04 AM   #50
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphobia View Post
Pavs played smart. She was hitting drop shots, moving Petra around and I thought she served very well – infrequent DFs. She wasn't rushing it. And if you let it, that kind of thing would really get inside your head and mess up your mentality.

But you're right. She could have won it...and we all know she has the talent necessary to do so. But she didn't. It's something mental. (Fitness is one of the most important things...but you can be fit as hell and still be a mess. Exhibit A: Sam Stosur. )
Hey Netphobia.

Yeah, Pav's won some points off drop shots, but they weren't many. And to be quite honest, some of them appeared to be bail out shots when Petra's groundies were really rolling.

As far as her serving: Pav's wasn't serving very hard. But she was serving very high risky by going for the lines on practically every serve. This is the reason why she ended up with so many second serves. And with all due respect, if Petra's needs to win a series of big points off Pav's serve (when all things are well) I expect her to. Obviously that didn't happen here, including when Petra needed to serve into a 3rd set. That's abominable. You noticed, after Pav's fast start, when Petra started rolling, she lost her confidence in her serving (and probably the game). It's almost like she was a bystander. But Petra gave her life, every time she got broke back after a key break, missed a break opportunity, or got broken herself.

Mentally, she let so many chances in that game go by, you gotta wonder.

As I've been saying all night, 'since she didn't make any major changes in her team that we're aware of, I'm going to reserve judgement and not look forward to the season'. I'll take it for what it is, as it produces itself.

Nonetheless, because of this, I'll cut her some slack, cause it's a new season till Sydney and the Aussie Open. But it's certainly not a positive start, especially when you consider how she lost, and the fact that Maria had dropped out of her half.

Already she starts the season with lost momentum.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM   #51
country flag Excelscior

One the ironies and funny part about the match: If you would have looked at Petra when she was down initially, on a roll, and fighting it out towards the end, she looked so calm, confident and almost arrogant (until the very end till you saw emotion). She just went about her business like a Gangsta, like she knew she was going to win.

Any one who would have looked at her demeanor alone, would have thought "Petra's Going To Win this"!

Not saying it's not a good thing, or she won't get better and win similar matches in the future; but you may not want to fall for that again in the future (if you did tonight).
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 07:35 AM   #52
country flag netphobia

You know, I think it's virtually impossible for me to be surprised by any of Petra's results any more. She could play the world #223 and lose and I would probably not be surprised.

petra
•••••
maria
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #53
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm trying to be polite and not sound mean Shifty. But I have to ask; since you mentioned Petra's head: How to you blow numerous BP opportunities, plus blow you own serve (when you know you can take it into a 3rd set), with a player that has known serving, DF and crumbling issues.

I mean, just the quality alone of many of Petra's ROS winners should have made her win the match. Pav's didn't come close to the consistent and spectacular quality of Petra's blistering ROS during the match, and Petra still lost! How do you explain that?
that's easy, she just another headcase. it's funny how almost all my faves are:

Petra displayed improvement in her demeanor on court but she's still mental case, flopping hard by making few silly UEs then DFing because of that or hitting UEs after being frustrated from few bad calls by linesman's and just overall having wrong game plan. 2\3 of her UEs were simple shots that went long because she just tried to overpower Pavs, tho she has great anticipation and variety but she just stuck in angry brainless ball basher mode.

On the other hand Pavs came to match prepared and showed her game from the start, also not getting frustrated by linesman's call or when hitting UEs, stepping up when she had BP opportunity, recognizing when to change the pace, etc. basically she just was the better player in this match, also i believe if Pavs didn't surprised Petra like she did from the start this could be totally another game but Petra had her chances numerous times in the end she just blew them. anyone can beat Petra if they just more mentally strong that her and this is depressing.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #54
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
that's easy, she just another headcase. it's funny how almost all my faves are:

Petra displayed improvement in her demeanor on court but she's still mental case, flopping hard by making few silly UEs then DFing because of that or hitting UEs after being frustrated from few bad calls by linesman's and just overall having wrong game plan. 2\3 of her UEs were simple shots that went long because she just tried to overpower Pavs, tho she has great anticipation and variety but she just stuck in angry brainless ball basher mode.

On the other hand Pavs came to match prepared and showed her game from the start, also not getting frustrated by linesman's call or when hitting UEs, stepping up when she had BP opportunity, recognizing when to change the pace, etc. basically she just was the better player in this match, also i believe if Pavs didn't surprised Petra like she did from the start this could be totally another game but Petra had her chances numerous times in the end she just blew them. anyone can beat Petra if they just more mentally strong that her and this is depressing.
Everything you said was true Shifty. Pav's was actually the more mentally strong one (even though she herself tightened up when Petra made her run at her and got back in the game), trying to incorporate different strategies and approaches to hang in the game.

She hung in there, even when Petra was rolling her with some very intimidating firepower, like she was going to run her off the court. Credit Pav's. She stood her ground.

The solution to Petra's bad start (you mentioned) in this match, would have been a male hitting partner. It was obvious, Petra's was getting adjusted to Pav's pace to start the match, so Petra coughed up 4 straight games and despite a valiant effort, ultimately couldn't fully adjust, recover and pull out the match. That was total lack of preparation right there.

Like I said: I don't know what we have to look forward to-from her team that's different than last year, but I'm willing to wait till after the Australian before I pass any early judgement.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM   #55
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Why do you keep deleting your post and posting it over again?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM   #56
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all

Thanks for all the info fellas. I didn't follow or see her match so I can't really add anything firsthand to the conversation.

From your comments it seems Petra's still going to stubbornly try to play "her tennis" which means more boatloads of UEs, more mental lapses, and probably more losses to people she has no business losing to. And also, almost no chance of beating the big guns.

We can only pray one day she and Coach Huggybear wake up and evolve her game into some kind of consistent, higher percentage game.

From the game descriptions it seems that her fitness level is still a work in progress and her serve is still lost and waiting to be found, not to mention her head still isn't screwed on straight. Still not much mental strength and focus and no Plan B when "her tennis" doesn't get the job done.

Aye, aye aye. I think we're in for another long year.....

I totally realize the year has just begun so maybe I just need to chill. We'll know more by the end of the month.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody and hurrah for the new tennis season!!!!
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #57
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Like I said: I don't know what we have to look forward to-from her team that's different than last year, but I'm willing to wait till after the Australian before I pass any early judgement.
I will wait for FC to see where she is. i'm bummed not by the loss but the absence of preparation and nothing changed in her strategy, tho Petra reported she was working on mental\strategy aspects of her game
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:46 PM   #58
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Why do you keep deleting your post and posting it over again?
Computer acts up sometimes.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM   #59
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I will wait for FC to see where she is. i'm bummed not by the loss but the absence of preparation and nothing changed in her strategy, tho Petra reported she was working on mental\strategy aspects of her game
Agreed.

I'm not upset she lost Per Se. Ish happens.

I'm disappointed, like you, by the fact she wasn't prepared for Pav's pace the first 4 games (Hello, can you say Male Hitting Partner), the desertion of her serve when it counted, once again the numerous blown ROS/BP opportunities, and the frequent mental lapses when she could have iced away the 2nd set, when she had the momentum.

Hey! If you lose you lose. And I know it's a very small and early sample size. However, until proven otherwise, it doesn't appear Petra has corrected some of her nagging shortcomings from last year. Let's hope she improves on these aspects soon.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:14 AM   #60
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra lost to Nastya / Sydney next

To offer another viewpoint,one of my OTHER faves lost her opening match in a 3-setter vs. someone ranked outside the top 100...whereas Petra actually WON her opener against someone who's had a few wins vs. top 10 players...from THAT perspective,Brisbane doesn't look so bad

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote