Brisbane R1 - [Q] Xeniya Pervak def [8] Karolina Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 7-6 - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #256
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brisbane R1 - [Q] Xeniya Pervak def [8] Karolina Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 7-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
Maye Caro was too. If not all the better.
I think they were equally awful, but talented Petra has enough weapons to pull off matches of this kind against the lesser players on a typical bad day of hers , but Caro has nothing, apart from running like crazy.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #257
country flag CuteKoala

CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of CuteKoala has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Brisbane R1 - [Q] Xeniya Pervak def [8] Karolina Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 7-6

Yay!
A. Sánchez Vicario (ES|✰) S. Errani (IT|7) J. Janković (RS|8) A. Kerber (DE|9) S. Halep (RO|11) S. Lisicki (DE|15) S. Cîrstea (RO|22) J. Wesnina (RU|25) M. Barthel (DE|34) A. Petković (DE|39) Y. Meusburger (AT|50) A. Beck (DE|58) J. Görges (DE|73) D. Pfizenmaier (DE|98) A.-L. Friedsam (DE|126) C. Witthöft (DE|210) A. Schäfer (DE|229) L. Siegemund (DE|235) K. Barrois (DE|244) T. Maria (DE|258) K. Hobgarski (DE|∞)
CuteKoala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM   #258
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

unreal
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #259
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteKoala View Post
Yay!
CuteKoala is back
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:59 PM   #260
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
Yes, but Petra was an utter nightmare through the whole match.
Agreed. I'm not sure you can compare the two matches.

Montreal, was Petra's first match, changing over from the grass season (including the Olympics). Thus several of the top 10 players who traveled to Canada had sloppy first and second rd matches due to the change of surface, environment and fatigue.

Pervak, like what happened with some of the other players, caught Petra when she was acclimating her body to the fatigue, NA conditions and court surface, and still lost.

Wozniaki's game on the other hand, is less susceptible to break in on a hard court, unless her fitness is suspect, due to the defensive nature of it. Plus, I'm sure Wozniaki's been practicing on hard courts (if she's been practicing at all and not with Rory visiting Australian sights).

Despite the errors (60 UE): Pervak did play a good match. There were many times she had the lead and lost the lead, but she always stayed aggressive, dug down and managed to come back back. She just wore Caro down. It wasn't all Woz's fault.

Pervak's coach was good as well. We'll leave Caro's coach, 'well enough alone'.

Last edited by Excelscior : Dec 31st, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:01 PM   #261
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think they were equally awful, but talented Petra has enough weapons to pull off matches of this kind against the lesser players on a typical bad day of hers , but Caro has nothing, apart from running like crazy.
That so . Petra had extremely bad losses last year, as bad as this one, you're on very thin ice with this. Now i don't proclaim that Petra will be as hopeless as last year and i hope Caro won't be. Both have a lot of work to do.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #262
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Yes excellent points. Her Sydney losses:

In 2009 she lost to Serena in the third round.
In 2010 she lost to Na Li in the first round.
In 2011 she lost to Cibulkova in the first round.
In 2012 she lost to Radwanska in the second round.

It is basically the same level of opposition as #103 ranked Pervak.

Her first loss in 2009 was actually to Vesnina

I agree though, this is far worse than anything she's done at the start of any prior seasons. Having said that, she has always had tough 3 set matches against Pervak and struggles in general against aggressive counterpunchers. She plays quite similar to McHale in that sense, another player who is a thorn in Woz's side. So it's not a distinct impossibility that a rusty Wozniacki would lose a 3rd set TB to a player like Pervak in her opening match.

Now I've said that, watch her lose to someone like Panova in straight sets in Sydney and bomb out in the 1st round of her next 10 events, JJ style.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #263
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That so . Petra had extremely bad losses last year, as bad as this one, you're on very thin ice with this. Now i don't proclaim that Petra will be as hopeless as last year and i hope Caro won't be. Both have a lot of work to do.

The overwhelming majority of Petra's losses last year (whether healthy, sick, injured, etc.) were against top top 10, 20, 40 players.

The two worst losses she had (if you go by Pervak's ranking), where against Hredecka and Venus Williams. Lucie H. was ranked 105 and and Venus 134.

Comparatively speaking to Pervak (besides Petra dealing with playing against her friend and teammate--Lucie H., and battling the Miami Asthma against Venus): These two can hit any body off the court on a good day (especially if you're not playing well). No embarrassment there, in that respect.

Caro's situation is totally different. She's getting hit of the court by players with little to no offense, regardless of their ranking, when she's completely healthy (unlike Petra last year, who's worst losses to higher ranked opponents--mind you, coincided with various illnesses, especially after the US Open).

Not the same.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM   #264
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

I said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
Pervak's working with Alina 'the miracle worker' Jidkova now.
Alina
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #265
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
I said it.

Alina
Love Alina Jidkova last night

Her magic "advises" to Pervak seem to be working effectively everytime she gave Ksenia the on court couching

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic • Benoit Paire •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM   #266
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post

The overwhelming majority of Petra's losses last year (whether healthy, sick, injured, etc.) were against top top 10, 20, 40 players.

The two worst losses she had (if you go by Pervak's ranking), where against Hredecka and Venus Williams. Lucie H. was ranked 105 and and Venus 134.

Comparatively speaking to Pervak (besides Petra dealing with playing against her friend and teammate--Lucie H., and battling the Miami Asthma against Venus): These two can hit any body off the court on a good day (especially if you're not playing well). No embarrassment there, in that respect.

Caro's situation is totally different. She's getting hit of the court by players with little to no offense, regardless of their ranking, when she's completely healthy (unlike Petra last year, who's worst losses to higher ranked opponents--mind you, coincided with various illnesses).
Caro had trouble with her knees last year (or at least she says so). I don't see the big difference, Ksenia has been ranked in top 40 too last year and has fallen down the rankings due to injuries ( or at least other people here say so). Look at the hard facts, Petra is ranked 8th, Caro 10th, both have work to do , there's no way around it however much you like to twist it.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #267

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, some of Petra´s performances last year where horrendous, as bad or worse than Caro´s today, I didn´t say otherwise, but I still think that Petra has more weapons than Caro to win this sort of matches in one of her "lazy" days, that´s all I meant; and again yes, they both have a lot of work to do this year, I agree there 100% with you.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:53 PM   #268
country flag StoneRose

Quote:
Yes, some of Petra´s performances last year where horrendous, as bad or worse than Caro´s today, I didn´t say otherwise, but I still think that Petra has more weapons than Caro to win this sort of matches in one of her "lazy" days, that´s all I meant; and again yes, they both have a lot of work to do this year, I agree there 100% with you.
Agree with bolded. Petra has more direct weapons and is probably more talented than Caro. But often on a lazy day Petra doesn't use the weapons (well enough) and still loses. In the past it was Caro who could win a lost match on mentality but it's this great mentality and love for the game that seems to have gone.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM   #269
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprotek View Post

Piotr's rant in English, part 1, I'll edit this post with part 2 in a couple of hours.

His Polish is far from perfect, very colloquial with occasional strange grammar and collocation, and lots of coherence issues as well, the occasional incoherence comes from him and not from my translation.

You are playing and you haven't got any plan, and you know what's worse, you are sort of playing and if you looked from outside yeah you are playing, balls are hit but in reality you are not playing at all, the fact is that she is playing, and you know how she is playing? She's leaning into balls, with her backhand she keeps you hitting crosscourt, obviously there's no sense in getting into a struggle with you and what are you doing? You play mid court, mid court, mid court, mid court, she's stepping in... Point won. She's just waiting when... She steps in every time you play a short ball. You're moving her around, you get a mid court call, you're getting into position and what not. What have I told you? You're not making yourself tall enough while serving. This is how you serve [starts gesturing a lot]. You should serve this way, with a snap of your wrist, forward... and a snap. [literally:] The shoe is going into the direction of a serving hand. And what are you doing? You are throwing everything and slicing and she [grabs a racquet]. She plays like this, and like this. She can't play here. And here. Do you understand? She can't. And you are playing everything here [that is into Pervak's comfort zone] [puts the racquet away]. Why are you playing (like that)? Because you are playing mid court, she's playing mid court, you are staying two meters [behind the base line?] - it's impossible to play a high ball. How can you play a high ball that much [shows margin] over the net, a deep ball with a lot of spin? It's impossible. Because you are standing too far away. You are standing too far away and you do not start playing with a margin, you are playing into her hands, she's just stepping in, changing - because your ball is too short. Don't you see it? Please, tell me, Karo, do you see it or do you not see it?

[gets up] Please tell me how you, as a player, can't play a backhand. Notice that she's playing where she wants. She's playing into your forehand all the time. And what are you doing? Nothing. So let her play like that. You see she's playing like that. But when your escaping further and further away and you're playing balls at ankle height how can you lift your ball higher? It's not possible. So you give her a flat mid court shot and she whenever she sees that she can step in she's stepping in and winning a point. This is how she's winning. Other reasons for her winning? You're serving like a clown into the same spot time and time again. And you serving is worse and worse. You're wielding your hand, racquet in this way instead of doing it that [gestures] way. Do you understand? You're not following the ball. You are not stepping into the court. You do not want to move her around. Down the line you are playing like this. This how you are playing down the line. This runt, of that height [gestures], can cover the distance from over there because you're not hitting [the ball?].
Thank you for the translation. Just as I thought, though, two things: too much information and too demeaning.

He needs to tell her what to do to put herself in a winning position. He needs to be brief and to the point. Instead, she has to wade through all the verbiage for the information about what she needs to do. That's too hard. Also, stop demeaning your daughter on and off court, Piotr.

Perhaps he needs a coaching mentor who will help him be more succinct in his coaching advice on-court. Otherwise, get a new coach, Wozzy!
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Agreed. I'm not sure you can compare the two matches.

Montreal, was Petra's first match, changing over from the grass season (including the Olympics). Thus several of the top 10 players who traveled to Canada had sloppy first and second rd matches due to the change of surface, environment and fatigue.

Pervak, like what happened with some of the other players, caught Petra when she was acclimating her body to the fatigue, NA conditions and court surface, and still lost.

Wozniaki's game on the other hand, is less susceptible to break in on a hard court, unless her fitness is suspect, due to the defensive nature of it. Plus, I'm sure Wozniaki's been practicing on hard courts (if she's been practicing at all and not with Rory visiting Australian sights).

Despite the errors (60 UE): Pervak did play a good match. There were many times she had the lead and lost the lead, but she always stayed aggressive, dug down and managed to come back back. She just wore Caro down. It wasn't all Woz's fault.

Pervak's coach was good as well. We'll leave Caro's coach, 'well enough alone'.
Petra was horrid in that particular match, being true all you say about the fatigue, being first round... but as you well know Petra still can be offensive and make winners and win most of those difficult matches, as she did in 2012, but Caro can´t, she is always going to depend on the other player choking.