Womens Tennis in General - Page 327 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #4891
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Ula beats Paszek 2-6, 6-0, 6-2, making her Caro's opponent in 2R (assuming).

Serena seems ready to continue where she left off last season, brushing aside Lepchenko in 59 minutes with a loss of just 3 games and her 32nd win in her last 33 matches! And it's not like Lepchenko is a bad player, she's ranked 21 and remember what a tough match she gave Caro in Montreal.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Dec 30th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4892
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Ula will be a test,Caro needs to prepare well. Serena´s win is nothing surprising, I wonder why people in GM underestimate her. She may be older than most but she still owns all of them.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4893
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Serena´s win is nothing surprising, I wonder why people in GM underestimate her. She may be older than most but she still owns all of them.
31 is not that old. Besides, she's a young 31 year old because she has rarely played a full schedule. There are 26 year olds that have played more tennis than Serena. And since she started dominating again she's looked fitter than has been the case in many a year. The woman takes better care of her body than ever before.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4894
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
31 is not that old. Besides, she's a young 31 year old because she has rarely played a full schedule. There are 26 year olds that have played more tennis than Serena. And since she started dominating again she's looked fitter than has been the case in many a year. The woman takes better care of her body than ever before.
I'd say 31 is old in tennis though.

Plus she's played 662 singles matches in her career. A lot of players start to decline after around 600 matches played.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #4895
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post

Plus she's played 662 singles matches in her career. A lot of players start to decline after around 600 matches played.
Well, the average age of players in the top 100 is going up (or so I hear). And Serena played her 662 singles matches spread out over a very long time, giving her body plenty of time to recover.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4896
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post

31 is not that old in todays game. There are atleast 4 30+ players in the top 30 and a couple 29 year olds too. Some include Na li, Vinci and Petrova, all are playing the best tennis of their career at this age.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4897
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Ula will be a test,Caro needs to prepare well. Serena´s win is nothing surprising, I wonder why people in GM underestimate her. She may be older than most but she still owns all of them.
I am people not in GM, who's expecting the simple fact of aging to creep up on Serena Williams. With a power game, stamina and a declining body will take it's toll.

While a marathon runner can perform relatively well at an 'old' age, sprinters peak young. Serena Williams is a sprinter, not a marathon runner. But we'll see, when she hits the (age) wall.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #4898
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

I think injury is Serena's biggest obstacle. And a very real obstacle at 31.

But I've seen no evidence at all of her game being in decline - the opposite in fact. And she seemed very fast to me whenever I saw her. And even if she wasn't - she can breeze through matches playing badly simply all the time she has that serve.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4899
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I think injury is Serena's biggest obstacle. And a very real obstacle at 31.
I agree, but she compensates for that with a higher level of fitness. And she's so good that in quite a few matches she can play within herself and still win reasonably comfortably. She doesn't need to go eyeballs out in each match.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4900
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

BTW - Kvitova also played well today, even though she still doesn't look fit to me. If she loses a pound or two (or three or four, or five or six) she'd be even better.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4901
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think that her current shape hinders her quite a bit. It will be interesting to see how will she do in 2013 after failing to take the tour by storm as i was predicted for her.

Also, youngsters are scoring some good results in Australia ( Bertens,Puig, Stephens etc).
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 02:45 AM   #4902
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Pavlyuchenkova seems a lot improved this year.

Kerber's attitude sucks.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4903
marineblue

Yes, Pavluychenkova woke up. What's up with this Kerber girl? Everyone seems to dislike her. Have to see the highlights of the match.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4904
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Zakopalova beats Bartoli 3 & 2, which means Caro stays in Top 10 but for how long?!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4905
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
Zakopalova beats Bartoli 3 & 2, which means Caro stays in Top 10 but for how long?!
The ranking doesn't matter that much to me. It's been quite awhile since she played at a top 10 level the majority of the time.