Margaret Court Picture Thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #16
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Margaret Court Picture Thread

I couldn't just leave it at that. Here's a nice pic of Margaret with a very young Evonne Goolagong.

[IMG][/IMG]
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #17
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Margaret used to go out and paint the town in whatever tour stop she visited. it proved to be the beginning of her divine calling. It didn't get a lot of press, because she disguised herself so well:

[IMG][/IMG]

I love that pic with a super cute little Evonne looking up to her idol.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #18

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

An early pic from the 50s of Miss Margaret Smith and her parents.

[IMG][/IMG]

And a nice picture (circa 1969) of her backhand volley:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by alfajeffster : May 13th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #19
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Her father looks really sweet. Great action shot on that stretch volley!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Her father looks really sweet. Great action shot on that stretch volley!
If you look closely at the action pic, Margaret isn't looking at the ball, but where she's going with it! Oh, as an aside TV, I just this morning signed for a new luxury apartment out of the city. I move in August 1st, which is just as well- gives me time to pack up 16+ years of STUFF I've accumulated over the years. I'm so excited!

http://100ParkApts.com/

Last edited by alfajeffster : May 15th, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #21
tennisvideos

Quote:
If you look closely at the action pic, Margaret isn't looking at the ball, but where she's going with it! Oh, as an aside TV, I just this morning signed for a new luxury apartment out of the city. I move in August 1st, which is just as well- gives me time to pack up 16+ years of STUFF I've accumulated over the years. I'm so excited!

http://100ParkApts.com/http:/
She is indeed watching where it is going to go!

Wow, that apartment complex looks sensational! The only thing missing is the tennis court. Truly beautiful, no wonder you are excited!

That link didn't work but this one did
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #22

Quote:
She is indeed watching where it is going to go!

Wow, that apartment complex looks sensational! The only thing missing is the tennis court. Truly beautiful, no wonder you are excited!

That link didn't work but this one did
Oh, I've spent the past few days losing sleep over, of all things, hanging my pictures, and a giraffe print chair I really liked at Home Goods, but had no place for it here where I am. The guy isn't moving until July, so I couldn't actually look at the place. They just showed me a similar apartment (mine has more amenities). I've already decided the den will be nothing but tennis artwork, and plaques from doubles wins and finals. A tennis court would be great. I'm going to try and rehab myself starting with the treadmill and eventually up to harder equipment. Once I feel I can stand and move a little better, I'll start lessons to re-learn how to play again. At this point I can't take any steps, and last Fall got out on a clay court with a friend and almost fell on my can, and most balls were total shanks. Yes, I am excited, and my fish will just go bonkers for it I'm sure!
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #23
tennisvideos

Quote:
Oh, I've spent the past few days losing sleep over, of all things, hanging my pictures, and a giraffe print chair I really liked at Home Goods, but had no place for it here where I am. The guy isn't moving until July, so I couldn't actually look at the place. They just showed me a similar apartment (mine has more amenities). I've already decided the den will be nothing but tennis artwork, and plaques from doubles wins and finals. A tennis court would be great. I'm going to try and rehab myself starting with the treadmill and eventually up to harder equipment. Once I feel I can stand and move a little better, I'll start lessons to re-learn how to play again. At this point I can't take any steps, and last Fall got out on a clay court with a friend and almost fell on my can, and most balls were total shanks. Yes, I am excited, and my fish will just go bonkers for it I'm sure!
God bless! It's great to be excited about a project and big change. The tennis den sounds great - I sort of have one but it's also our junk room lol.

Let me know how it all goes and send some pics once you get set up esp of the Den
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
God bless! It's great to be excited about a project and big change. The tennis den sounds great - I sort of have one but it's also our junk room lol.

Let me know how it all goes and send some pics once you get set up esp of the Den
Will do. They made a big mistake giving me a flat that has French doors in the bedroom, though. In addition to my Evita rendition from the balcony, I also now have the opportunity to model my own neglige collection with a tennis skirt for good measure. Oooh la la!
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM   #25
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

I had never found a pic of Margaret with the RG trophy, but finally did: 1973

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #26
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
I had never found a pic of Margaret with the RG trophy, but finally did: 1973
That had to be one of the most staisfying wins in Court's career. Though young, Evert was thrashing everyone else on clay at that time. Margareat may have not been the most graceful player, but as I remember in the 73 USO final, she had great anticipation and speed so getting to the ball seemed almost effortless. After she lost the second set the crowd went wild rooting for Evonne but you could almost see Margaret grit her teeth and say enjoy it while you can because I am winning the next set, which she did.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #27
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
That had to be one of the most staisfying wins in Court's career. Though young, Evert was thrashing everyone else on clay at that time. Margareat may have not been the most graceful player, but as I remember in the 73 USO final, she had great anticipation and speed so getting to the ball seemed almost effortless. After she lost the second set the crowd went wild rooting for Evonne but you could almost see Margaret grit her teeth and say enjoy it while you can because I am winning the next set, which she did.
Thanks Uranium for locating this rare pic!

Yes Thrust, it would have been a very rewarding win for Margaret, esp having to fight tooth and nail with perhaps the greatest clay courter of all time (let's not forget Lenglen though). Yes, Chris was young, but as you say, she was still dominating the world on clay so it makes it all the more impressive for Court, esp as she was by this time a mum and also won two other slams that year. I think her 3 wins over Evert that season were all amazingly gutsy wins - all 3 setters (FO, USO, WITC) and her loss at WImbledon to Evert was also a 3 setter. That is the one that really should have been the one Court was favoured to win but she was recovering from the flu and a back injury - you can see she just ran out of puff at the end of the 2nd set. This Wimbledon one really showcases Evert in the first set playing like a chess master - lobbing on a dime and running Court ragged. Worth watching just for the precision alone although the rest of the match is an anti-climax.

I have watched all 4 of those great matches in full and the 3 that Court won were all incredible matches featuring all court tennis of the highest level. Their rivalry, although brief, was a great one as they played such different styles - Margaret always looking to attack but also as tough as nails from the back of the court, and Evert an incredibly accurate baseliner with such precision that she made it almost like a suicide mission for anyone who wanted to attack the net. Both legends.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

It is funny how often we get back to talking about these classic Court v Evert matches of 1973!

The French Open win was indeed incredible, because after that Evert only lost five times at Roland Garros; in fact, after 1973 she only lost once on clay over the next eight years. I think she was maybe even harder to beat in the early 1970s, when she first arrived on the scene, because no one had figured out how to beat her. Someone has put up on YouTube excerpts from Chris's match against Frankie Durr at the 1971 US Open, and you can tell what a horror she was back then, even on grass, with her torture-chamber dropshots. The Chris-Madge Wimbledon encounter of 1973 is simply classic tennis of an incredibly high standard, and Evert's shots are all the amazing when you remember how fast the grass was back then. BJK never ever beat Evert on clay, so for Margaret to tough out her French win against the Ice Maiden in 1973 was something extraordinary and testimony to her amazing all-court skills. I have not seen their US Open encounter, but what I would give for a box-set of these three GS matches from 1973!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is funny how often we get back to talking about these classic Court v Evert matches of 1973!
Yes-and I'm loving it, as every match of theirs that I have (and I have 4 in all) is pure joy to watch.

Quote:
I have not seen their US Open encounter, but what I would give for a box-set of these three GS matches from 1973!
Get it if you can. Mags won by staying back, rallying, and only coming in on her terms. Pure serve and volley worked well for Billie Jean vs Chris on grass, but for Court it just didn't work. Evert hit some of her most amazing lobs over Margaret in these encounters. And in a few points in that US Open match Chris made some spectacular gets at net too.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think her 3 wins over Evert that season were all amazingly gutsy wins - all 3 setters (FO, USO, WITC) and her loss at WImbledon to Evert was also a 3 setter
You can correct me if I'm wrong TV, but I'm pretty sure the 1973 WITC match was actually played in the fall of 1972. As a made for TV "classic" it was put a year ahead of when it was played so they could package it for TV.

None of that changes how good the matches were. For me the WITC match have some of Chrissie's best lobs ever-and of course Mags runs them down after they go over her head and she gets them back-only to have Evert drop shot her-LOL.

Court's win here is a trestament to her ability on the baseline. Funny how Court could win on slow surfaces vs Chris while Chris could beat her on grass.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote