Azarenka is going to flop this season: Flop #1 - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #136
country flag MashaAzarenka

MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future
Re: It's dead obvious Azarenka is going to flop this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
how can live anyone with such username.
Haha I know, Maria fans hate Vika and Vika fans hate Maria. I'm a big fan of both though. Love the rivalry they have it's great for the game
MashaAzarenka is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #137
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
He has a point. As crudely put as it is.

I'm always surprised that people rate Azarenka on the strength of her mauling Sharapova every so often. Sharapova is barely even a vague shadow of the player she was 6 years ago. She herself has been blessed with this chasm of opportunity that was created after Henin left the game in '08. Further proof of her decline is the fact that it took her so long (even after recovery from shoulder surgery) to take advantage. Then we have players like Radwanska, Kerber, Errani Well, enough said. This is hardly a mountain of elite opposition that Azarenka has had to overcome.

Azarenka's game is generic as it gets. She plays at a steady, accumulative pace with decent margins, but lacks any sort of immediate weaponry. We even saw Cibulkova of all people, able to hit through Azarenka at will this year, because the rallying ball just doesn't do enough. The depth is solid without really biting the lines, the width isn't extreme enough and she doesn't take the ball early enough or has sufficient enough leverage to finish the points as early as possible.

The keys to her AO was maximising her game to the absolute maximum of her capabilities. The serve had enough good, raw-ish pace and decent placement, she took her forehand earlier, and she was playing at a standard above her normal underpowered, grinding game. The point is however, that she hasn't shown anything close to this level since, suggesting it took an incredible amount of conditioning, intensity and conviction to play that kind of tennis that is otherwise unsustainable for her to play week in week out. It's a contrived style of play that has had no long-term effect compared to those two weeks in Australia. That is the kind of tennis she'd have to play at every Slam next year to truly contend for Slams, and even that wouldn't probably be enough if Serena plays anywhere close to a high level.

Azarenka's Slam-winning days will probably be on hiatus for a while.
No offence, but you do seem to be a bit stuck in a timewarp when it comes to analysing Azarenka's game. Like you often say things like Azarenka's forehand is glitchy or can't redirect pace and makes it a lot of errors -- this may have been true in 2009, but these days, it's pretty obvious that her FH is watertight and solid as a rock and gives very few points away for free.

Also, you seem to base most of your argument on that one loss Azarenka had to Cibulkova, when that was pretty much the one tournament this entire year that Azarenka played badly in. And I also don't know where you get the idea that Aza hasn't "come close" to her AO form from -- imo she exceeded that form from the US Open through to Linz.

I mean, I agree with the consensus that, very good though Azarenka is, there are 3 players who potentially have the ability to beat her regularly (Serena, Sharapova, Kvitova). But other than that, while there might be a few players lower down who have more raw firepower than Aza and might get the occasional win over her (such as Cibulkova, Safarova, Ivanovic, hell maybe even Venus ), they simply won't be able to execute consistently enough against a player who gives you as little for free as Aza does more than approximately 1 in 5 times, at best.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #138
country flag viktory

viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaAzarenka View Post
Haha I know, Maria fans hate Vika and Vika fans hate Maria. I'm a big fan of both though. Love the rivalry they have it's great for the game
Nah,not all of them. I,for one,love them both. Masha since 2004,vika since 2005.
viktory is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #139
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

What is there to discuss if this is so obvious?
edificio is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #140
Evan James

Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone can say it's obvious. It is possible, but not obvious. It's yet to be seen.
Highest ranking: #1 Current ranking: #11
2005: Canberra 2006: Montreal 2007: Berlin, Los Angeles, Luxembourg 2008: Indian Wells, Roland Garros, Linz 2010: Linz, Bali 2011: Bali
2014: Auckland, Monterrey, Birmingham
Evan James is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #141
country flag Serena_Williams_

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of

She won't flop.She might not have another 2012,but she will still have a good season.
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Serena_Williams_ is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #142
country flag **mashafierce**

**mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all

It's quite obvious that Serena Maria and Vika are going to dominate the season.The only players capable to challenge them are Aga and Angie.The real question is if she has reached her peak

Steffi Graf best female tennis player ever

Last edited by **mashafierce** : Dec 28th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
**mashafierce** is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #143
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Nothing is obvious in women's tennis.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #144
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a case for the TF dictionary by the way:

obvious = in no shape or form likely or reasonable to be expected

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #145
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

10 pages of pure gold; congrats TF, you just gave Smitten exactly what he eaneted
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #146
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
No offence, but you do seem to be a bit stuck in a timewarp when it comes to analysing Azarenka's game. Like you often say things like Azarenka's forehand is glitchy or can't redirect pace and makes it a lot of errors -- this may have been true in 2009, but these days, it's pretty obvious that her FH is watertight and solid as a rock and gives very few points away for free.

Also, you seem to base most of your argument on that one loss Azarenka had to Cibulkova, when that was pretty much the one tournament this entire year that Azarenka played badly in. And I also don't know where you get the idea that Aza hasn't "come close" to her AO form from -- imo she exceeded that form from the US Open through to Linz.

I mean, I agree with the consensus that, very good though Azarenka is, there are 3 players who potentially have the ability to beat her regularly (Serena, Sharapova, Kvitova). But other than that, while there might be a few players lower down who have more raw firepower than Aza and might get the occasional win over her (such as Cibulkova, Safarova, Ivanovic, hell maybe even Venus ), they simply won't be able to execute consistently enough against a player who gives you as little for free as Aza does more than approximately 1 in 5 times, at best.
Vika's improvements have been minimal but with women's tennis so weak outside of Serena those minimal improvements have made Vika go from your average top 10 player to the player outside of Serena to beat.

Vika moves better now than she did before and is stronger, it isn't much different to before but she gets a racket on more balls on the run for sure.

She has also added a average but useful slice backhand. It doesn't win her points outright and change up a match like say Henin's could, but it just means 2 or 3 points a match these days she keeps herself in rallies she would other wise have lost.

She plays drop shots as a 'kill' shot more than a lot of top players. Vika this year hit a heck of a lot more drop shot winners. Having not huge fire power some of those short balls this year she has simply bunted over the net for easy points.

The serve will forever be average for me, but there seems to be so few aggressive returners outside of Serena and Maria these days that Vika starts a rally on an even kilt than behind in the point like she should do. Domi was a great example of putting Vika on the backfoot straight from the return this year and not letting the crosscourt Vika groove set in.

What irks me is Vika will most likely get herself 3 or 4 slams throughout her career and could have had 3 this year had Serena not been around. When I think about Vika compare to other 3 or 4 slam winners it makes me . Nothing Vika does now is better than capriati at her street fighter best or Kim at her athletic peak, heck apart from movement she has absolutely nothing on Davenport, yet this is the company I feel she will be keeping career wise when all is said and done.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #147
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka's forehand DTL has improved, especially on the run, but there's still no killer impact on that shot. She can't hit consistently outright winners with it during a rally, unless she's gradually wearing her opponent down in those laborious CC rallies like sammy pointed out, and she can't consistently generate and deflect pace off that wing without dropping her length. In her Wimbledon SF vs Serena, anytime she got met with pace and depth, she had to resort to her usual scooping the ball back, without being able to hit through it with any kind of racquet head speed. She just isn't the fluid, natural ball-striker everyone assumes her to be on the forehand. It lacks any kind of innate weight and body-weight transference to consistently do damage.

Her backhand return is her real strength, able to neutralise even the hugest, well-placed of serves, and allow her to start the point in the ascendancy with her court positioning, and thus her gruelling grinding can begin. And I never get this reasoning that she can change the direction of the ball at will, and certainly not with any great impact. Her footwork in particular doesn't allow this. Azarenka has actually excellent anticipation, getting behind the ball well, but her footwork and general mobility are poor. That makes it extremely difficult to change the angles of the ball. Davenport was far inferior to Azarenka in terms of footspeed, but she had supple hands, and superb footwork around the ball that gave her easy, rhythmic timing. Azarenka just doesn't have that.

Azarenka really needs to find some kind of immediate weaponry, a serve especially. There's no glossing over the fact that at times she can look ridiculously underpowered. No coincidence.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #148
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Me, too.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #149
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
+1, i obviously like Vika more though.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #150
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Azarenka won't win a slam in 2013. Book it. Quote it. Save it. Screenshot it.
You are too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
Masha has nothing to do with this thread. GO HOME!
Typical. Not surprised
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Can't grab a Slam, grab cash then
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread