On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 309 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4621
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
I can't see where I would have suggested otherwise?

I am well aware that atheism has its own fanatics. Some of them would gladly eradicate all forms of religions. This doesn't change the clear distinctions between atheism and religions. But we have already discussed this issue and our positions seem irreconcilable. So, I'll leave it at that.

Those are very interesting thoughts...even if you have no chance to convince me that a political movement can be assimilated to a religion But the comparison is relevant

Just a brief return in Russia.

Although communist leaders have committed crimes in the name of a political doctrine which was qualified as atheist, the population of Russia has never ceased to believe. Its churches were closed, they were forbidden to practice any form of religion, but the citizens remained believers. Even the people who proclaimed themselves atheists often continued to believe in God. Therefore, they were not atheists.

In 1990, the freedom of religion was promulgated in the Russian Federation and most citizens embraced again a religion. Claiming that Russians are atheists is either a sign of ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Nowadays, most of them are believers. Here's the result of a survey:

"Russia is a multi-ethnic and multi-faith nation. Orthodox Christianity is Russia's largest religion with 75% of the population belonging to the Orthodox Christian denomination. Islam is professed by 5% of the population. Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism and Buddhism are professed by 1% of the population each. Other religious denominations represent 1% of the population, while 8% consider themselves atheists".

http://masterrussian.com/russia/facts.htm

And among the 8% of atheists, how many are "real atheists"?
A thoughtful post,but you are overlooking the obvious difference between the believing populace and the atheist LEADERS in the USSR.Indeed,many of the common folk never stopped believing even when the atheist bosses forced their beliefs down the citizens' throats...but the ones in power DEFINITELY made a point of ideologically,aggressively pushing atheism on the populace

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm

Last edited by bruce goose : Dec 16th, 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4622
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
football, American football
You had another mild dyslexia flare-up:
It's FOOTBALL(NFL),European/S.American football,etc.

Just let me know if you need any further assistance

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4623
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
A thoughtful post,but you are overlooking the obvious difference between the believing populace and the atheist LEADERS in the USSR.Indeed,many of the common folk never stopped believing even when the atheist bosses forced their beliefs down the citizens' throats...but the ones in power DEFINITELY made a point of ideologically,agressively pushing atheism on the populace
I fully agree with you here.
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #4624
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And you're going to explain to all of us why that's a bad thing,right?
Because they're one of my least favorite Nba teams along with the Los Angles Lakers. I rather dislike the superteam concept.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4625
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Because they're one of my least favorite Nba teams along with the Los Angles Lakers. I rather dislike the superteam concept.
I was almost certain that THAT was your reason,but I just wanted to see you post it for my confirmation.....My favorite team is Washington: I'm a masochist sometimes

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #4626
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was almost certain that THAT was your reason,but I just wanted to see you post it for my confirmation.....My favorite team is Washington: I'm a masochist sometimes
Did you live in Washington DC growing up?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4627
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Did you live in Washington DC growing up?
Not within the city proper(though I often worked there),but close enough to justify cheering for that clown college operation.Actually,when I was just a toddler,they had a couple HOFers on their roster,even won a championship,and made the Finals on a couple other occasions.

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4628
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

If think it vital to separate religion from the organisation or "church" to understand how the latter can be an ideology using faith as the commodity for control.

Kafka makes some very interesting observations in his diaries regarding the conflict between churches.
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 04:00 AM   #4629
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
If think it vital to separate religion from the organisation or "church" to understand how the latter can be an ideology using faith as the commodity for control.

Kafka makes some very interesting observations in his diaries regarding the conflict between churches.
You're right that Kafka is a worthwhile reading endeavor; the only problem is that he can sometimes encourage the emotionally/mentally frail to give in to their paranoia too easily.....Not his fault,of course,but a rather inevitable side effect

Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 04:14 AM   #4630
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're right that Kafka is a worthwhile reading endeavor; the only problem is that he can sometimes encourage the emotionally/mentally frail to give in to their paranoia too easily.....Not his fault,of course,but a rather inevitable side effect
Yeah, that's not how I read him though, more along the lines of illustrating the human condition and how despite knowing the glass patio door is there, we still walk into it, and in a sense, wilfully so...
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #4631
country flag bruce goose

Despite a slightly-crowded house,am having a fun time with family and hope that the rest of you are as well.Feliz Navidad!

Old Dec 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4632
country flag Protoss

Merry Christmas everybody!

It's been a pretty good one for me so far.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #4633
country flag bruce goose

This is how the final weekend of the regular season should be: Big rivalries such as Cowboys-Redskins,Packers-Vikings and Lions-Bears determining playoff spots

Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4634
country flag Protoss

Quote:
This is how the final weekend of the regular season should be: Big rivalries such as Cowboys-Redskins,Packers-Vikings and Lions-Bears determining playoff spots
A lot more interesting when your team hasn't been knocked out of playoff contention a lot earlier in the season.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #4635
country flag Burisleif

Real Vikings don't need shoulder pads, just a swig of mead and a mushroom or two...
Closed Thread