Billie Jean King Admiration Thread! - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #136
country flag OohZuzana

OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future
Re: Billie Jean King Admiration Thread!

Here it is, as promised http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2009...llie-jean-king
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #137
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OohZuzana View Post
Well done Ben- that was great and a fine interesting article on such a great player.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #138
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Here is a description by the British journalist and future General Secretary of the ITF, David Gray, of Billie Jean's last ever singles win over Chris Evert, in the semi-finals of the 1975 Wimbledon, which Billie Jean had said would be her last attempt at a major singles title (it wasn't). Billie Jean went on to crush Evonne Cawley in that year's final.

In the train to Eastbourne two weeks ago Billie Jean King, who defeated Chris Evert, the champion, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 to reach her ninth Wimbledon singles final yesterday, sat down and wrote herself a letter. One of the things she wrote was: ‘Even if you get twenty bad calls, and everything seems to go wrong, you still have to be willing to give, even if you have nothing more to give.’

She took the lesson to heart. She had never lost to Miss Evert on grass, and she approached the match with her usual assurance and determination. But she lost the first set, enduring all the ill luck on the line decisions (please, Captain Gibson, would you tell your linesmen once again to stop laughing after they have ruled against players in tight moments), won the second, and then trailed 0-3, 15-40 in the final set.

It was a major test of nerve and determination, but she came through it wonderfully to meet Evonne Cawley, who beat Margaret Court 6-4, 6-4, in the final. She has said that this will be her last attempt to capture a major singles title. No more Wimbleldons, even if she wins tomorrow. No defence of her title at Forest Hills. Elizabeth Ryan won nineteen Wimbledon titles, all in women’s doubles or mixed. If Mrs King wins again, she will equal that record. As we watched her, wearing down Miss Evert, destroying the superfine accuracy of the cold girl from Florida, we were conscious again that Mrs King is the most remarkable of all post-war champions. She is the match-player extraordinary. Connolly was greater. Bueno looked more stylish. Mrs Court was stronger. We cared more about Doris Hart. Angela Mortimer and Ann Jones belong to us – but no one has been quite like Mrs King. ‘I love Wimbledon. I could hug Wimbledon. I love the atmosphere. The Centre Court. Everything about it’, she said yesterday. How could Miss Evert, the fair Miss Frigidaire, prim and accurate, hope to counter a player who cared as much as that?

The match was as astonishing as its winner. In the first set Miss Evert seemed invulnerable. Only twice did she miss with her first service. Mrs King tried to play her from the baseline but abandoned that strategy after a long rally at 1-2 and 15-30. She lost her service for 1-3 and the set disappeared. Mrs King was trying to get to the net and she was being lobbed. But the picture changed at once in the second set. Miss Evert needed three second services and was broken in the first game, and although she came back to 2-2, Mrs King smashed with all her old accuracy. The crowd were cheering her too (‘I was very conscious that that they were aware that this is my last Wimbledon. They were really nice and I appreciate it. It meant a lot to me.’) She won four successive games for the set, snapping them up like an angry sharp-beaked bird. There is something decidedly ornithological about the eager, determined concentration with which she picks up her points.

The she fell behind again. There were three long games at the start of the third set and Miss Evert won all of them. Mrs King tried checking the pace, kept on attempting drop shots, and was passed frequently again. But Miss Evert was passive, always watching her and waiting for her to make a move. That fitted the pattern of her matches against Lindsey Beaven and Betty Stove (‘I was surprised by how little she did’, said Miss Beaven). Mrs King held her service for 1-3 from 15-40, saving an advantage point, and then broke for 2-3 after two long rallies and a remarkable spring from the baseline to pick up a drop shot. Who said that she couldn’t run anymore?

That was the heart of the match. Thereafter Miss Evert was defending and Mrs King was always the attacker. ‘When I was down 0-3 and 15-40 in the final set, I thought how embarrassed I shall be if I lost it 6-0. I said to myself I must try and take each point to get back into the match. Then I thought: “This is my last Wimbledon and I just can’t lose this match now. I just want to do the whole trip.”’ She broke for 4-3 after another of those fierce sprints and the rest was comparatively painless. Miss Evert looked as though she simply had not understood anything that happened in the last six games. At the end she said that she had thought herself safe in the fourth game of the third set. ‘I had a good chance, but then I guess I rushed it a little bit. Billie Jean is really a gutsy player and as the set went on I kept thinking about the 3-0 lead which had gone instead of getting on with the match as I should have done. Billie Jean is best when she is down. She always goes for broke. I just hope she plays Forest Hills. This is Billie Jean’s last Wimbledon, and it means a lot to her. She is like Ken Rosewall in the men.’
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #139
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Lengthy sometimes-interesting interview with BJK:

http://www.insidetennis.com/2010/11/...ing-interview/

INSIDE TENNIS: There’s a story that a woman in Manhattan tells a taxi driver, “I have to go out to Queens and meet Billie Jean King. When the taxi driver asks how to get there, she says, “Well, there’s a big brick building that has her name on it.” Is that true?

BILLIE JEAN KING: It was one of the sponsors coming out to the suite.

IT: What is it like to have your name up on the tennis center, to have such fame? What is that lifestyle like?

BJK: It’s a sense of responsibility. It’s our job to go for it.

IT: Let’s look at some numbers: You sign up for $1 with Gladys Heldman, 30,472 show up at the Astrodome, Venus Williams wins $1.4 million in equal prize money at Wimbledon, Maria Sharapova signs a $70 million deal with Nike…

BJK: Seventy million what?

IT: Her contract with Nike.

BJK: Seven zero?

IT: Seven zero.

BJK: Great. Love it. Look at what basketball and baseball players make. I’m thrilled.

IT: Holly Hunter says because of you she and others actresses make up to $25 million per film.

BJK: It’s not because of me. Psychologically, it didn’t hurt.

IT: Which of those numbers sticks out most for you?

BJK: I’m thrilled about the money, but I don’t think about the money. I do think about the money if there’s a message — like with equal prize money. I kept telling Venus, it’s about the message. The message is important because 60 percent of girls in this world are not getting educated. You’ve got all this poverty. Any time a woman is in poverty, it means her boys and her girls are in poverty. So microfinancing is important. It sends a message of equality, and I want equality for everybody. For instance, we don’t have enough men going to college now. That’s a challenge here. But overall, the challenge is still girls and women because we’re so underserved. That’s what [Bill] Clinton’s Global Initiative emphasized again this year.

IT: Speaking of things global, what do you think of the WTA Championships going to Doha?

BJK: I think it’s great. Anytime we go to a new place, it’s good for them to see these women producing and making this kind of money. I went to Doha and wanted to do a clinic for the boys and girls. They only allowed the girls to do it. You cannot believe how excited they were. They had some really good little players who could hit. I spoke to one of the mothers. Her daughter is lefthanded, which is sinister. She has lefthanded kids. She said, “I want my daughter to be a champion so it would help the stigma. [In Qater, the left hand is seen as the "dirty hand."] The Sheikha [Hind Bint Hamad Al Thani] didn’t wear a veil — her face showed. She came out on court and presented the check [to Serena Williams]. That was huge. Unless you go there, you don’t know what’s going on.

IT: Frank DeFord once wrote that you and Jackie Robinson were the two most definitive athletes of the 20th century, but that Robinson needed someone to open the door for him; you had to break the door down on your own. Do you take pride in the path you’ve forged?

BJK: Absolutely. It started when I was 11 or 12. That’s when I decided I wanted to be No. 1. Those are very impressionable moments. They’ve done research on that. That’s when kids usually decide their dreams.

IT: When you were first breaking away with the women’s tour, someone said, “No one’s going to come out and watch those birds…”

BJK: I had a few of those guys, which was very hurtful, because they were my friends. If I didn’t feel close to them, I probably wouldn’t have been quite so taken aback. I thought that was pretty low. But I try not to take things personally. That really helps. That’s the only reason my name’s on the USTA National Tennis Center — I never took it personally. I really like these [USTA] people. I didn’t have to agree with them. Every two years, we have a new president, so we start over. My friends say, “Why are you so nice to them?” I say, “It’s not about them. It’s about what kind of character I have.”

IT: You started battling them as a player.

BJK: We all did. It wasn’t just me. I was definitely more forthright.

IT: But part of the USTA culture is “You know your place.”

BJK: But you try to change things diplomatically. The reason we got equal prize money in ‘73 was Billy Talbert. I only had a quiet, one-on-one discussion. People think we were really boisterous. That’s not true. Ninety-five percent of it is behind the scenes. We were boisterous only when we didn’t have any other course to take. You have to be calm when you make decisions. You can’t make them when you’re too low or too high. Always try to get in the middle before you make an important decision. That wasn’t what the media or the public’s perception was. A lot of the great things we did were done in quiet settings. Even the $1 contract — that was at the little Houston Racquet Club. We were having these discussions day and night at Gladys’ home, which was just around the block from the club. I called the president of the USTA before that happened. One minute before we held up those $1 bills, I called the USTA president and said, “Are you sure you won’t do a tour? We don’t need to do this if you’ll do a tour.” I had been trying for two or three years to talk sweetly to them. They kept saying, “No.” Then they said, “You’re going to be ostracized. You won’t ever be able to play again in any of our tournaments.” I said, “You’ve left us no choice. But I want you to know that when you read about it tomorrow, I talked to you first. I don’t want to go behind your back.” That was a quiet time. That was on a pay phone at the Houston Racquet Club, not in front of 100 media people in a room with microphones up my nose.

IT: At the Battle of the Sexes, you really had the weight of history on your shoulders. Some said it was more pressure than a Wimbledon final.

BJK: For sure. It was a one-time thing. It transcended that match so much. So many things were involved. The emotions that men and women were feeling were just incredible — about themselves, about the opposite gender, about their children – it was at the right time in history. It was at the height of the women’s movement, we were just coming off Vietnam, Watergate was starting to heat up — it was a very tumultuous time. I guess God put me on Earth at the right time to be able to do that. Arthur [Ashe] and I were born the same year — in ‘43. We asked ourselves, “Why?” It’s our destiny. It was meant to be. As a young person, I knew there was something special that was going to happen to me. I was seven years old when I told my mother I was going to do something great with my life. We didn’t have a dishwasher then. She said, “Dry the dishes and let’s go — you’ve got homework to do.” My mother always kept going. Little did they know. When my brother Randy and I started our dreams — me with tennis, Randy with baseball — they had three jobs. That was just to get us to a tournament. We didn’t have a lot of extra money. Those are the kinds of kids we need in tennis — blue-collar kids. The rich kids can go everywhere and get the points.

IT: You’ve said that Americans don’t realize how good they have it.

BJK: I don’t always agree with that. It’s your environment. If you grow up in my or my brother’s environment, you can make it. I think Americans have a great history of resolve. We have a history of adventure, conquering the frontiers. That’s always going to be in our DNA. We have to tap into the best athletes. I’ve listened to parents — especially of color — and they all say the same thing: “Go to the elementary schools and ask the football coach to give you the best two athletes at school and tell him you’re going to give this kid a life and an education.” People tell me this over and over. I’m going to listen to them because they come from a different place. I’m white. They’re worried about the children. They’re in the right place. You have to find the right schools. Where do they have really good athletes? Where do they have great basketball players? The inner-city. We don’t need a ton of them; we just need the best. Low-income kids and first-generation Americans. There’s something special about the way they’re brought up. It’s old school-new school. There’s something special about that — Agassi, Capriati, Sampras. I’m telling you, there’s something there. Don’t ignore it. It doesn’t mean a fifth-generation American can’t be great. But they’ve either got to come from a strict family — a family that was loving and strict, like my family. Chris Evert and I had the same thing. We had the best setup. Blue-collar family. She’s Catholic and I’m Protestant, but we might as well come from the same cloth as far as the way we were brought up.

IT: Can kids from the ‘burbs with BMWs and Xboxs and iPods make it?

BJK: Yes, they can. But you’ve got to get the kid who’s got the resolve. Like Ryan Harrison — he’s highly motivated. I want that kid.

IT: What about Sam Querrey and John Isner?

BJK: They’re great kids, but do you really expect them to beat everyone? I don’t. What I love about those two is that they’re getting the best out of what they’ve got, and that’s all you can ask.

IT: Can Ryan Harrison make it to the top?

BJK: I don’t know yet, but I’m very impressed with him. He’s got intensity, he loves it, and he’s got a well-rounded game. You’ve got to have a weapon eventually. I don’t know how quick he’s going to be. But I love what I saw. Prescott, Arizona’s got a little kid. Her dad came to me in the gym. He said, “I hate to bother you, but her name is Taylor Johnson, she’s 10-and-under. She will go out in the snow with layers on to play.” I said, “Can you come at three o’clock?” When I go back to Prescott, I’m going to go check her out. She sounds like a highly motivated kid.

IT: Where do you come down on the greatest of all time in women’s tennis?

BJK: Serena should be, but she’s not finished.

IT: Martina? Steffi?

BJK: Martina — singles, doubles and mixed. And Steffi in singles. That’s all I could ever say. The greatest all-around athlete is probably Martina. But we can’t compare our games. We couldn’t hold a candle to these kids today. ()

IT: You’ve met so many wonderful people. Who’s the most impressive?

BJK: Everyone’s got different plusses. Obama is a great listener. And kind. And he’s smart.

IT: You’re close with Hilary.

BJK: I’m not that close. She did ask me to help her [with her presidential campaign]. I did not have any relationships with Obama, although I lived in Chicago for 12 years. I can’t believe I didn’t meet him, because I helped the mayor with things. As soon as we met, it was like, BOOM.

IT: In many states, gay marriage is such a serious question. Your thoughts?

BJK: Civil unions are what I wanted everyone to vote on because you have to go in phases sometimes. It can go too far to the right or the left. Things don’t happen if people get too angry, too off-balance. If I could have done the game plan 20 years ago, I would have said, “Let’s get civil unions right because I want the law to protect us first. That’s the most important thing. We still have over 1,000 federal laws. Gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders who can get fired with no recourse. It’s getting better though. It’s definitely going in the right direction. People are always uncomfortable when there’s a fear or an unknown. There’s always going to be a certain percentage of people just totally uncomfortable. Usually the people who yell the loudest have latent tendencies themselves and are scared, so they just go overboard. They protest too much. When I hear that hate, that’s when I go, “uh-oh.”

IT: You’re a close friend of John McEnroe’s. He loves tennis. Incredible talent, great mind, brilliant commentator, but at 51 he still has a dark side – losing it, chewing out Mashona Washington at a Word TeamTennis match…

BJK: I love John. He’s just got demons. But you have to understand his generation. It was pretty much whatever they wanted. They didn’t have to think too much beyond that. I like it when a player has skin in the game, and most do not. I’m talking about putting money back in the sport. There’s very few of us who’ve actually put our money back in the game. I’ve owned four tournaments. I own part of Indian Wells. I had to put up money for that. Sampras, Chris did too. But they were established. I’ve always put money in the game, but I’ve also made my living out of it, which has been fantastic. Butch Buchholz put money in. Newcombe and some of the other Aussies have put money in. But how many Americans do we have putting money back in the game? How much money do we take out of our prize money every year? What’s Federer up to – $57 million? That’s just the official amount. I like to see players give back to tennis, not other foundations outside of tennis. They think about their brand, their own thing. Then they do a foundation someplace else. I do the Women’s Sports Foundation, but at least it’s in sports. But I also do the Elton John AIDS Foundation. World TeamTennis has raised almost $10 million for them. Since ‘68 I’ve been a small businesswoman in the sport of tennis.

IT: If you could watch just one player?

BJK: Nadal and Fededer are a cut above right now. They were both in soccer. I’m just so thrilled they chose tennis. They could have chosen soccer. We never would have seen them. We need to get soccer kids because they have good footwork and hand-eye coordination. If we don’t sign up kids on a team when they’re young, we’re never going to have our sport where we want it. And we need to have a format in college where we have 24,000 screaming kids and get it on TV like they do for March Madness. I can see it so clearly.

IT: Bud Collins said you were a prophet in the wilderness. Is that true?

BJK: Sometimes. I don’t always want to change things. You’ll never meet someone who loves tradition more than I do. But that’s why we change history — because we appreciate history, we appreciate tradition, we appreciate people’s ideas. It’s one thing to have an idea; it’s another to execute.

IT: Do you think Bobby Riggs would be happy about the way things are unfolding?

BJK: Bobby Riggs would still be contributing. Are you kidding? He was always contributing fun and liveliness and attention to our sport. How can you not love that? He was a character, but he was also a former No. 1. When I explain to people why I won that match it was because I respected him so much. But we’re in a tiny universe, a tiny little universe. Everyone thinks everybody knows us. No one knows who we are.

IT: But you’ve touched so many people.

BJK: I’m not finished. I still feel rarin’ to go.

IT: And your proudest accomplishment?

BJK: What I’ve done off the court because we keep passing the baton as we go down through life. After I’m gone, these things will have a life of their own. Each generation will build on them. That’s what makes me happy — equal rights and opportunity. There have been milestones and milestones. We went from amateurs to professionals. That was huge. I’m proud that it was my generation that did it. We are the transitional generation. Every day I wake up and say, “We did it.”
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #140
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
1968 US Open

Speaking of the 1968 US Open, King said on page 120 of her 1982 book Billie Jean with Frank Deford:
I got to the finals but my knee was absolutely killing me. The night I beat [Maria] Bueno in the semis in three sets, I had to rest it up over a guitar case I put on the bed, but I still was in such pain I could barely sleep. I was up almost all night crying, and the next day, I couldn't move. Virginia [Wade] jumped all over my serve, and she beat me in straight sets.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!

Last edited by austinrunner : Jul 11th, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #141
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
Evonne Goolagong Cawley

King said on page 142 of her 1982 book Billie Jean with Frank Deford:
But if I had to choose my favorite opponent, it wouldn't be either Margaret [Smith Court] or Chris [Evert]. It would be Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

I always played my best against Evonne because she always raised her game against me and because she used such spin and variety that it forced me to be more imaginative. It's true that Evonne would sometimes lack concentration and try crazy shots, but I always thought that that part of her was exaggerated by the press because they liked Evonne so much and sought to make excuses for her.

I mean, Evonne was perfect for the press. She was pretty and exciting to watch and unpredictable, and she won enough without winning all the time. Curiously, though, she was never as popular with the fans as she was with journalists. In this respect, Evonne always sort of brought Arthur Ashe to my mind. Like her, he was an exciting player, but a placid soul; but he was always a better draw than Evonne was, probably because he was American and was so well defined a personality. The fans never seemed to get a handle on what Evonne was really like, so she only made a good gate attraction as an opponent. And she always put up a good match - against me, anyway. She could be very competitive when she put her mind to it, and I think she enjoyed our matches as much as I did.

The time I beat Evonne love and one in the Wimbledon finals (of '75) she really played quite well. She never once lost her concentration that I could tell. But of course, afterword the press all wrote the same junk about her having one of her walkabouts. The fact is that Evonne had three very real chances to sneak back into the match, and in each case she was psychologically all there, but I just blew her away each time with my pace.

In 1971 she beat me in the semis at Wimbledon - three and four; she just passed me at will, it seemed - and then went on to take the title when she was only nineteen. So that was a very special moment for her. And two of the very best matches I ever played were against Evonne. In 1973, in another semifinal at Wimbledon, I needed eight match points before I finally beat her. We both simply played magnificently that day. Nothing daunted us. ... [T]he other terrific match I played against Evonne was at Forest Hills in 1974.... In this one, I beat her 7-5 in the final set, and after I was down in the first set, too. Maybe I am proudest of all of this one, because I almost didn't even enter the tournament that year. I had devoted myself so completely to World Team Tennis, and I was absolutely exhausted. Olga Morozova beat me at Wimbledon earlier in the summer. But at the last minute I just said, "To heck with it, let's give Forest Hills a shot," and my guardian angels got me through. I can hardly recall a single shot in the final against Evonne. I was that tired. I know I adjusted in some way after she took the first set from me at three, but I haven't got a clue to what it was that I did.

Evonne liked the idea of being number one every now and then, but she certainly didn't have a fetish about it. It was just a sometime thing, like going on a diet or something.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #142
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

King going for it vs Wade at the 1966 Wightman Cup. Kinh won, and soon aftr captured her first Wimbledon.

Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #143
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

An utterly determined looking Billie Jean vs Chris Evert in the 1975 Wimbledon semifinal. It was to be her last victory over Evert and her last Grand Slam title.

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #144
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Winning a record 20th Wimbledon title with Navratilova, who ironically enough would go on to top it.

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #145
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

My apology for grainy texture, but I finally got something from photobucket to post! Most of my photos there are done on a copy machine, so nothing crisp. A rare photo of the 1968 USO finalists. Wish I could actually see the match.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #146
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of

King was such a vicious competitor. A true champion. She probably could have won even more too if she didnt devote so much time to starting the womens tour. She was truly selfless in all she did, yet determined and hungry too.
mistymore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #147
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

1966 Wimbledon

1967 Wimbledon

1967 US Open

1968 Australian Open

1968 Wimbledon

1971 US Open

1972 Roland Garros

1972 Wimbledon

1972 US Open

1973 Wimbledon

1974 US Open

1975 Wimbledon

71 and 72 USO missing. Struggled to find those.

Last edited by Uranium : Dec 24th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #148
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Been awhile since I have been here. I appreciate everyone's efforts and the pics are great Thank you

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #149
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here is a WTA piece on King at Birmingham

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl....GxzjgY4k.dpuf

40 LOVE Moments: Queen Of The Ages

Billie Jean King and Birmingham have a very special connection. In 1982, King won the inaugural edition of the tournament, but her 1983 victory there was even more historic - for two reasons.
Published June 13, 2013 12:00
Billie Jean King

BIRMINGHAM, England - Birmingham has a special place in Billie Jean King's heart, and Billie Jean King has a special place in Birmingham's heart. So it's the perfect time to take a look back and see how the WTA legend's presence still runs strong at one of the longest-running tournaments on the WTA.
The Aegon Classic is hosted less than a mile from the Birmingham city center at the Edgbaston Priory Club, a 12-acre private members facility that includes 29 tennis courts and 10 squash courts. It is one of the country's largest and most popular racquet and leisure clubs. On top of that, the origins of the modern game of lawn tennis are believed to have started in Edgbaston as early as 1859.
The tournament was first held in 1982, and it was none other than King who was its first champion. Seeded No.4 behind Tracy Austin, Sylvia Hanika and Barbara Potter, thanks to a string of early upsets King didn't even have to play any of them all week and battled her way to the title, getting pushed to three sets by Lele Forood in her opening match and Betsy Nagelsen in the semifinals but putting on a dazzling display of grass court tennis in the final, crushing Rosalyn Fairbank in straights, 62 61.
King's victory at the Aegon Classic a year later in 1983 may have been even more meaningful, though. It wasn't as difficult - she was the top seed and didn't lose a set all week, including taking Alycia Moulton down in the final, 60 75 - but it was also the last of her 67 WTA titles in the Open Era.
That triumph also gave King a very, very impressive honor - at 39 years, 7 months and 23 days, King was the oldest player ever to win a WTA title, a record that actually still stands to this day.
In 2010 the record came under threat, big time, as a 40-year-old Kimiko Date-Krumm reached the final of Osaka and went to a third set with Tamarine Tanasugarn - but the Thai eventually won that in three. Date-Krumm is still the second-oldest player to win a WTA title though, triumphing at Seoul in 2009 at 38 years, 11 months and 30 days. And the Japanese is still going strong at age 42 - can she do it?
King would play her last Grand Slam just a few weeks later at Wimbledon, making it all the way to the semifinals before falling to Andrea Jaeger. She would retire from singles competition by the end of 1983 - she played doubles for years before completely retiring from professional competition in 1990.

Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #150
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for sharing that

Sent from Verticalsports.com App