Articles and Interviews - Page 197 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2941
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
It's just an attempt to make her even more mentally pressured....
It changed the discussion. Instead of us talking about can she get back into the top 5 and do well at majors again, we are talking about Roddick, Djokovic, and Caroline putting towels under their clothes.
Its almost a goof that its a discussion at all. At these exhibitions, a Nadal imitation is to pull your shorts out of your buttcrack. Or a McEnroe imitation is to yell at a lineman and sound out of control.
They're meant to be parodies, done for tennis fans about tennis players.

This is all a big nothing, and when it blows over, we just hope Caroline is focused and ready for 2013, and this doesnt become a distraction
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2942
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...rena-williams/

Quote:
Tons of questions/comments about Caroline Wozniacki/Serena Williams, so ...
I held off on this but then -- with a push from Whoopi Goldberg -- this "issue," such as it is, got into the vortex of social media. And then it got ugly fast.
Wozniacki stuffed towels into her top and her skirt, jokingly impersonating her friend Serena, at a recent exhibition in Brazil. Here's the video in question.
As is always the case when race is the issue, the spectrum of opinion was wide. Even in an attempt to stake out the middle ground -- I tweeted: "We can debate 'racist." But the optics here are awful. Can we agree on a charge of felony-grade distasteful?" -- I got it from both sides.
Wrote @Jesuis_ici: "Sorry to tell you, but this is deeper than just Serena. Many black women are upset over this. It's not just an individual case. So the attempts to diminish are offensive."
"Take a stand against [racism] Jon! You clearly favor the Danes on this," someone wrote in an email.
I hadn't even finished my smoked herring sandwich when @alexhleopold wrote: "Please stop trying to make an issue out of a total non-starter. You're better than this."
And @supertiebreak added: "Why should Caro even comment on the matter? She's friends with Serena and was just having fun. Blowing it out of proportion!"
@juggasells: "This is just the case of people who don't know tennis outside of just Serena and Venus and talk reckless and uninformed. Yes, because you're white, it's a different context. ... It's awkward for a white person to dismiss any notion of racism. But the fact is, they are WRONG here, and it's important for me, as a black journalist, who knows tennis, to say they are wrong. We can't have proper discussions on race with people who know nothing about the people they talk about, at all. A disservice. And it's a shame that I have to see now The View, and Whoopi, now cast that cloud of 'Is Wozniacki a racist?' A shame."
So here's where I stand: First, in no way do I think Wozniacki was being mean-spirited, much less racist. Serena was present in the arena, I'm told, and didn't flinch. Plus, the two are friends: Remember that when Serena was hospitalized with an embolism, Wozniacki was the first player to call her. There's a cultural relativism trope, too. Should Wozniacki, who grew up in Denmark, likely unaware about some of the historical connotations she was spoofing, be held accountable? And, yes, it bears mentioning that both Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have unveiled similar impersonations of Serena without causing controversy.
I heard from some of Wozniacki's confidantes and know she is a bit shell-shocked by all this. One minute she is playing around with one of her friends, trying to entertain a crowd, put the giggle in a hit-and-giggle event. The next minute she is trying to ward off an ugly set of charges. There's also an understandable frustration. We want athletes to have color (pardon the pun) and betray personality and engagement. "When I try to have some fun and show charisma, I get pounded like [Manny] Pacquiao."
Lack of intent, though, doesn't automatically get you off the hook. I can offend someone, even if I had no designs of doing so. The folks who were bruised by this -- who referenced slavery and other racial stereotypes -- shouldn't be dismissed or told to "lighten up" simply because Wozniacki was not acting with malice. One of you mentioned this.
The verdict here: Cut Wozniacki a break. Save the charges of "racism" for uglier incidents. Consider Serena's good-natured response. Consider the context.
As for Wozniacki, here's a tip: Save the imitations of Serena's butt and chest. Impersonate her serve and groundstrokes instead. Carry on ...

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

Last edited by CWTennis : Dec 12th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2943
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure this nonsense shook her up. It shook us up, and we're not the ones being attacked.

From tough times come good times. She did nothing wrong and she knows that.

The people criticising dont understand that tennis exhibitions have parodies of a lot of tennis stars, and its in fun. When you parody Nadal, you're not doing it to insult a whole group of people, just one tennis star.

This is when you need your family and loved ones. Then stay tough and move forward.
I still say it will blow over. The people with an agenda to attack will sound stupid if they keep it up much longer. Its a couple of towels, and done many times by Roddick with no criticism

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2944
country flag AfroIYH

AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light

The whole conversation which shouldn't be happening in the first place is being skewed by the racially sensitive part of society which thinks anything said or any imitation automatically has something racial behind it. It's bs and I don't like it, it's a sorry excuse for a slow news day.
AfroIYH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2945
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

I'm not on Facebook or on Twitter and I don't know to what extent this hysteria has grown, but many people appear to have retained some common sense. For example, on the dailymail site (http://www.dailymail.co.uk) we can read almost 1800 comments on this event, and most people seem favorable to Caroline. All the comments that have received the most thumbs up (up to 4198 thumbs) are defending the Dane. All the comments that are the least appreciated are those who are disrespectful. On the French media, it's the same trend: several journalists spew their venom, but the comments are pro-Caroline or the accusations of racism are just dismissed by the Internet users.

That leaves some hope.
Achernar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2946
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
I'm not on Facebook or on Twitter and I don't know to what extent this hysteria has grown, but many people appear to have retained some common sense. For example, on the dailymail site (http://www.dailymail.co.uk) we can read almost 1800 comments on this event, and most people seem favorable to Caroline. All the comments that have received the most thumbs up (up to 4198 thumbs) are defending the Dane. All the comments that are the least appreciated are those who are disrespectful. On the French media, it's the same trend: several journalists spew their venom, but the comments are pro-Caroline or the accusations of racism are just dismissed by the Internet users.

That leaves some hope.
Well, that comes as some sort of a relieve I guess. Even so, the news that Caro is shell shocked by all this isn't good news at all (but completely understandable) two weeks before the new season starts.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2947
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

While not wanting to open a can of worms, one thing about Caroline's 'racist' behaviour, which is really puzzling me is, why on God's green earth anti-racism campaigners (and they have a valid case in many, many, many cases) would want this (imho) completely non-racist case as their 'exhibit case' and talking point in media.

Maybe it's just me as a white person talking, but in my eyes, it will put a question mark to the next time people scream 'racism', because I will inevitably think about these bogus racism shouts against Caroline.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2948
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
While not wanting to open a can of worms, one thing about Caroline's 'racist' behaviour, which is really puzzling me is, why on God's green earth anti-racism campaigners (and they have a valid case in many, many, many cases) would want this (imho) completely non-racist case as their 'exhibit case' and talking point in media.

Maybe it's just me as a white person talking, but in my eyes, it will put a question mark to the next time people scream 'racism', because I will inevitably think about these bogus racism shouts against Caroline.
I dont even try to understand this outrage over 2 towels, especially when there is tape of Roddick & Djokovic doing it also

But it happened, and she has to handle it. Keep her focus, get ready for Australia. Enjoy this holiday season. You have to enjoy yourself. Life is how you react to good times and bad. Everyone has both

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2949
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future Saraya! has a brilliant future

Her Holiday is over. Now she prepare for 2013 really hard...another show comes soon..again with Maria...
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2950
country flag AfroIYH

AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light AfroIYH is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post

I saw on that Huffington Post thing posted earlier the first woman they spoke to said Wozniacki did it because it was essentially like black face and it was an attack at a black women's curves, before I turned it off, and I talked to someone on Twitter who basically the deeper you go has a conspiracy that the USTA and even the other top players don't respect her. I think the people who say it's racist has to some degree had their side hijacked by some over sensitive nut jobs.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #2951
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroIYH View Post
I saw on that Huffington Post thing posted earlier the first woman they spoke to said Wozniacki did it because it was essentially like black face and it was an attack at a black women's curves, before I turned it off, and I talked to someone on Twitter who basically the deeper you go has a conspiracy that the USTA and even the other top players don't respect her. I think the people who say it's racist has to some degree had their side hijacked by some over sensitive nut jobs.
You mean they don't respect Caroline?

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #2952
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
Her Holiday is over. Now she prepare for 2013 really hard...another show comes soon..again with Maria...
Thats right! Another exhibition with Maria.
This goofy controversy will change the dynamic of this one. Maybe Caroline should play it like a real match

Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #2953
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
Somehow I don't think that her heart will be in it. But she should just concentrate on playing tennis and nothing else - no dancing at the change of ends, no jokes of any kind and DEFINITELY no Serena imitation. Just treat it like a real match. If she just tries to concentrate on playing her best it will be a good test and by the time it's over she should have some idea where her game is at at this point. Even though Maria might give her a point here or there in a typical "fuck if I care" exho, if Caroline treats it like a real match I'm sure that Maria will give her one.

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2954
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Thats right! Another exhibition with Maria.
This goofy controversy will change the dynamic of this one. Maybe Caroline should play it like a real match
I guess this is the point where I'm supposed to say that great minds think alike.

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2955
country flag AfroIYH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
You mean they don't respect Caroline?
Sorry I wasn't clear, they don't respect Serena, he's now even trying to make it deeper about being interested in issues which effect African American lives every day, even says Tennis is the most racist sport out there next to Golf.