Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #16
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
I don't think much will change in her schedule. She'll probably go to Australia and play Brisbane and Sydney Q and AOpen MD. After that challenger in Midland, WTA Memphis and IW and Miami.
But it would maybe be interesting to go to clay earlier this year, even skip IW and Miami(yes, I know she won't do it, but she could). There is a WTA tournament in Cali(125k) and in Bogota, those always have extremely weak draws. and maybe to back those up with a challenger or two in USA and Charleston and fly to Europe after it.
She's better on clay than on hard in last year, in her career also( Rome SF, two WTA titles) so it could be good idea.
And in Europe she should play Estoril, Fes and such a tournaments if she's all about points, Yes, glamour is in Stuttgart and Madrid, but when you're around 100th in rankings, points and success are in Colombia, Morocco, Portgual...
I think you're absolutely correct about the clay strategy. It would be great to see her do something a little more "outside the box" in that regard. Those fast & medium fast hard courts should be so ideal for her big game, but the fact is that she moves much more fluidly on clay (surely because she grew up on it). Also, I think clay forces her to be just a little more patient ... To wait until "pulling the trigger" with her huge shots. Still, she practices predominantly on hard courts. Let's hope she starts the season with a fresh focus, hungry to hurt the other girls.

That training regimen has GOT to be giving her added confidence. Truly, I don't think she has ever looked more fit/athletic.

Whatever the case, just one lovely run early in the season could break her year wide open. I have always felt she is just so so SO close to the sort of "hit" that would propel her back to the Top 50. I do believe if she had beaten Vinci at W this year ... That would have galvanized her whole career. Getting to the last 16 of a Slam again.

Really hope she gets some traction early-on, as well as some nifty draws. Mostly, hope she has fun. She can be proud of her comeback, whether No. 50 in the world or No. 105. How many people on earth can say they were regularly one of the 100 best on the entire planet at their profession?

Mirjana can say it ... She has spent most of the last 2 years as a Top 100 talent in a very deep field. She can absolutely go higher. Good luck to her.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Mirjana is now certifiably "hyphenated" -- she will be playing officially from now on as Mirjana Lucic-Baroni, and ranked/seeded/entered in events accordingly.

Hope the alteration adds a lovely element of luck for her in 2013 and beyond. New name ... New successes ;-)
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #18
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
oh man I'm dreaming of seeing Mirjana play like Mary.
Now that she's looking like her(hair and eye- glasses) she could eb there visor is the only thing preventing her from being top player
ajmo! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #19
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
oh man I'm dreaming of seeing Mirjana play like Mary.
Now that she's looking like her(hair and eye- glasses) she could eb there visor is the only thing preventing her from being top player
Yep. This was fun to read from you, and great to see that clip. Tennis matches live forever, eh.

I'd have to dig through the heap of nonsense I have strewn, but there is a big "Mary Pierce reference" I also once made in Mirjana's regard.

If any game contemporary to hers could be referenced, I do believe it was Mirjana/Mary ... even down to the wicked fathers.

Always enjoyed Pierce, for that "wild, dangerous horse" thoroughbred factor -- which I also believe Mirjana shared BIG time. I often saw Pierce as a cipher of Lucic, and vice versa. Mirjana, frankly, had perhaps a little more talent than Pierce, in my opinion. Both with that desperate, devastating inside-out flat forehand and a big-but-brainless backhand.

Spilled milk.

Mirjana could have been "up there" regularly -- competing with Mary and Lindsay and the rest.

Time was robbed, but she still has some power; something special can still happen for Lucic. I would question anyone who really doubts that possibility.

What memories of Lindsay, though. Such impeccable strokes. But even after she got skinnier than sin itself, she was not a good mover. Her poor anticipation robbed her of probably five or six slams. Most brutal strokes (technically) since Evert, but with none of Evert's uncanny anticipation and fabulous footwork skills. Idiots now watch old clips and think Evert was a "pusher" when, for her time, she was in fact murderously aggressive from the baseline ... dictated to kill her opponent.

Mirjana had/has some explosive Steffi brilliance, I always thought. She absolutely would have been contending for big titles (like Pierce) had her talent been nurtured, instead of abused. But she could still have a breakout season, mentally, and do something stunning. I would never rule that out for Lucic.

Obviously, Slam titles are not the likeliest, but I am convinced she could haul-off and win a possibly prestigious WTA title, or reach the quarters of a Slam.

In 2013, she absolutely has the skill and experience and guts to break out of her obstacles and finish a season in the Top 60.

Best of luck to her: people don't realize, but it's amazing that she got back to the Top 100 and has actually managed to cling to its edges for almost three consecutive years. Hope she has a great time fighting this new year.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #20
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Movement, footwork- bigeest factor. because if you look at other elements of the game she has them, she just not there yet. movement not, and she knows that. prpic and mirjana are working extra hard, hopefully it will pay off. one win in australia md could do wonders
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #21
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Best of luck to her: people don't realize, but it's amazing that she got back to the Top 100 and has actually managed to cling to its edges for almost three consecutive years. Hope she has a great time fighting this new year.
Yes, not many people realise this!
It's a special achievement after so much time spent out of tennis.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #22
ajmo!

Yes it is, I remember how ultra exciting was it for me when she first passed qualies for a 25k, then year later when she had first significant result and Las Vegas 50k SF. She was miles away from TOP100, from WTA level at the time.
2 years she was going from one small town to another, beating some local girls and getting crushed by majority of serious players. But she stayed in there, kept fighting and reward came in Birmingham 2010. It was super great to see her winning matches from then on. She had great second part of 2010, big points scored then.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
country flag mikireturns

Yes, movement is her biggest physical conundrum. I mean, she's in super shape, athletically, and she deserves a lot of props for putting in the hard work. But her footwork is a mystery. Athletes can be in great shape and still need to develop particular skills.

Mirjana's main problem, technically (not mentally), in my opinion, is that she really lacks that explosive first movement. That's why her return-game is such a disaster, at times, and why her service games (with such a big serve as a weapon, like she's got) are fraught with drama.

She hits a big serve and then does not have that explosive "first reaction" movement to get herself into position to take charge of the point. Sometimes she's better at this than others, obviously, and it depends upon the quality of the opponent. On return games, same thing, but it's more a case of how her lack of explosive movement leaves her out of position for accurate returns.

There are ways to work on this and a wise coach (like Prpic) could pinpoint this and help her make some great things happen. It could be the thing that gets her over the proverbial hump.

She certainly deserves whatever success comes her way, with such hard work. I mean, who really thought in 2008 and even 2009 that we would see Mirjana beating one of the Top 10 players in the world again. At a Grand Slam, no less.

That's no small accomplishment, nor was it a fluke. She had to win 4 matches to get that 5th win. That was basically winning a nice tournament. They really need to start awarding Quality Points again. It would make the girls' game more interesting (and accurate) and I, for one, would enjoy the new twists and turns it would put back into the rankings equation.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #24
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

I would really like to know where Mirjana starts the year, I guess it's not known yet?
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #25
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

I'm getting excited for the new season seeing these photos of a very fit Lucic-Baroni and reading the posts of my fellow fans. To significantly improve her ranking in the short term, all she has to do is win one match at the Australian Open and maybe one or two matches in the main draws of the A. Open warm-ups. Playing Midland and Memphis is a good idea, as Mirjana excells on fast indoor. Also, I think the poster who said she should play a couple of the early Clay tournaments was right on. Cadanatu?(Spelling) made the final of the Columbia clay court tournament, and Duque-Marino has won it in the past. Mirjana should play that tournament for sure. I also think the Clay tournament in Monterrey, Mexico would be a smart move as well.
SERVivor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #26
country flag mikireturns

Yes, a fast start is crucial for her, and one has to beliee she can do it. Gosh, she looks so super-fit and has worked so hard.

I will be crossing fingers for good draws in Winter/Spring for her. If she can nab one Oz Open win, that would be marvelous, but we would all like to see a string of wins, of course ;-).

She simply cannot be sidetracked by lower-ranked players like Larriere, last year, for example. That match is online, and for students of Mirjana's game, watching it is a lesson in how her focus has betrayed her in certain matches.

I hope Prpic is helping her mentality, along with any technical issues, and I hope she really has fun out there and finds that next level.

I believe that, when Mirjana finds that next level, it will not be a leap from #105 to just #75 or 80.

It really will be a leap into the Top 50. The talent is there, the hard work is there.

Gosh, I hope the stars align for her ... And for her fans.

And yes, the more clay the better. But I could absolutely see Mirjana breaking out and winning an entire event like Memphis.

Best of luck, Lucic-Baroni. She's still young and determined, and I have to admire it.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #27
ajmo!

Believe, Allistair McCaw ( Mirjana is working with him on her fitness) is well aware of what Mirjana has to do. Hope it will all work out for 2013.

Having good movement is a vital to being a better player. These days the very best players in the world are looking for coaches and trainers to help them move better.
The days of having just a 'fitness trainer' who can lead you around the gym and throw in a couple of speed drills are quickly coming to an end. This game is about movement first and the best players are seeking experts in this area.

So for this week, start by looking for an area in your players movement that can be improved and go to work on it.
One of the best ways to do this is to video record a few points of the player and then watch them move in slow motion.

Look for one thing that can be improved, no more (for example the legs or body position) Then have the player work on those movements without racquet in hand first.
So for example, if it's their recovery from a wide court position movement that needs work, then maybe they need to load their outside leg a little more to get a better push off.
From there, progress to the player having racquet in hand performing the movement numerous times over (no ball in play).

This week the focus is on improving one movement specific.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #28
ajmo!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=411206755614218
Don't know if u can see the video, but she's working hard!
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #29
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=411206755614218
Don't know if u can see the video, but she's working hard!
That's excellent and also: the piece about movement training.

I love it -- it isolates specific split second things that a player might never notice, which could lead to a key improvement.

Mirjana remains a hero for working so hard and hopefully a very "next level" year is ahead for her.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #30
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylucic View Post
does anyone know which tournaments is Miki playing before the Australian open?
Shenzhen MD and Sydney Q
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote