1923 results - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #76
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: 1923 results

Info provided by GeeTee

January, Metropolitan Championships of Adelaide, Australia

FI: Kath Le Messurier d. Gwen Hill Hack 5-7 6-3 6-3
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #77
country flag DavidK

DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light

Above Australian Tournaments added thanks to Gee Tee and Jimbo, and Bancroft's mistaken title taken away
DavidK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #78
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Found and added many new results using the London Times. Note that Mrs Winston Churchill participated in 1 Riviera event!

My thorough search of the Times went from January 1 to February 11. When I take this up again start with February 12.

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 20th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #79
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Times results now added through March. When time permits I need to go back and tidy up many draws.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #80
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Info provided by Newmark401

August, East of England Championships, Felixstowe

FI: Mabel Davy Clayton d. Geraldine Ramsey Beamish 1-6 6-2 10-8
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #81
country flag DavidK

DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light

East of England edited in
DavidK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #82
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Did more work on 1923.

London Times now Covered from January 1 to March 31 and June 1 to June 19.

Also have full dras for doubles and mixed for Wimbledon, though I need to add/search for more first names.

Also added some scores from the Pacific Coast event which Helen Wills won.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #83
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Here's a piece on the semi-final of the mixed doubles event at the 1923 South of France Championships in Nice, one of Suzanne Lenglen's rare losses in any event in any tournament:

From "The Field", 29 March 1923

"The champion's defeat was encountered in the semi-finals of the mixed doubles when she and Count Soumarokoff were opposing Randolph Lycett and Elizabeth Ryan. This match was naturally the pièce de résistance of the meeting, for though Mlle Lenglen could claim to be in a class by herself among the ladies, the fact that the Russian was short of practice and had only entered for the one event because the present was the 'third successive year' discounted this superiority and inclined the odds towards last year's finalists at Wimbledon. Thus there was a great throng around the court, those present including the King of Sweden and the Duke of Connaught.

"The match opened auspiciously for the home side. They led 3-1 and showed no lack of confidence. But their advantage proved to be illusive. Count Soumarokoff's unorthodox drive with its excessive top-spin had caused some initial dismay in the opposite camp. Balls thought to be sailing out of court were left; the two advancing volleyers found them landing well inside the baseline. Nor were Lycett and Miss Ryan able to able to volley those drives with their usual speed; [?] was imposed and the opportunity given for Mlle Lenglen to trip across and make a winning shot.

"However, familiarity began to breed contempt, and with Lycett reaching his best form the balance was soon adjusted and Soumarokoff's defects exposed. These proved to be a tendency to volley the ball up as distinct from a decisive blow, while the extra time required for all his strokes, made with the elbow bent, was of priceless value to the other pair; it gave them the additional second to get into position. They won the next five successive games; the whole complexion of the match had changed. But it was soon to alter again.

"Lycett declined both in accuracy and vigour to such an extent at the beginning of the second set that, though his partner continued to play well, Soumarokoff and Mlle Lenglen went to 5-2. Luckily Lycett recovered in time, and as in the first set his side won five games off the reel, going straight to victory.

"No blame can be attached to Mlle Lenglen for this result. She played superbly throughout and had the misfortune to be supported by a partner who was never at his best. The champion was the first to congratulate the winners on their success."
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #84
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Also added some scores from the Pacific Coast event which Helen Wills won.
Mrs Ream Leachman = Anna Muller (Leachman)
-----
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #85
country flag newmark401

An extract from "The Field" of 8 February 1923 concerning some of the handicap events at the Cannes Club tournament held at the end of January of that year:

"In addition to winning the men's handicap singles, Frederick (?) R. Scovel, with Mrs Winston Churchill, won the mixed doubles; owing four-sixths they beat Grigg and Miss Frost (three-sixths), 6-4, 6-1. Lady Beaverbrook and Miss Meakins, receiving a walkover in the final, won the ladies' doubles."

I think F.R. Scovel was the American player Frederick Roosevelt Scovel?
--

Lady Beaverbrook, née Gladys Henderson Drury, was the wife of the media tycoon/press baron and businessman William Maxwell Aitken. He was Canadian-born, but moved to England in 1910 and was knighted by King George V in 1911.
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #86
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks Mark.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #87
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thanks Mark.
Any info on F.R. Scovel?
-----
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #88
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Any info on F.R. Scovel?
Yes. Your ID is a correct one. Frederick Roosevelt Scovel was a cousin of Teddy Roosevelt and married Vivian Sartoris, a grandaughter of President Ulysses S Grant, on 23 August 1902. The couple spent most of their time abroad. He died 27 July 1930 and Vivian dies at her villa on the Riviera in 1933.

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 12th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #89
country flag Jimbo109

Info provided by Elegos and Newmark:

ends May 13, Austrian Championships, Vienna (Clay)

FI: Ilse Weihermann Friedleben (GER) d. Toni Weihermann (GER) 6-4, 6-4
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #90
country flag Jimbo109

Info provided by Newmark:

??, Bordighera, Italy (Clay)

FI: Phyllis Carr Satterthwaite (GBR) d. ??