Peak Pierce in 1994 Roland Garros - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #31
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Pierce in 1994 Roland Garros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Morgan View Post
ASV>Nervous Pierce in first French Open final
NONSENSE! ASV was the better clay court player. Only Graf and Seles, at their best, were better.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #32
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Peak Pierce is so overrated. She couldn't even win the tournament against an opponent in the final with no real offensive weapons. Peak Pierce is good, but I'm sick of people acting like it was the most unbeatable tennis of all time.
SO TRUE AND WELL PUT!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #33
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Peak Pierce is so overrated. She couldn't even win the tournament against an opponent in the final with no real offensive weapons. Peak Pierce is good, but I'm sick of people acting like it was the most unbeatable tennis of all time.

That player who lost the RG final in 1994 had nothing to do with Peak Pierce.
And as for that "opponent with no real offensive weapons": That is the same player who beat Graf and Seles in Slam finals (and has a positive H2H with Serena ).
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #34
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
YES. It's unbelievable she has 3 RG titles, same as Monica. And none for Conchita.
Conchita winning Roland Garros, when she never beat Graf or Seles on clay. Good laught
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #35
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
Unbelievable? It's not like she randomly won those titles. She reached the semifinals 10 times there, played 6 finals. Won half of them. She was clearly at home in Roland Garros.
Arantxa was amazing at Roland Garros, so consistent performer. She could and beat everybody there.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #36
Sabatini lover Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
That player who lost the RG final in 1994 had nothing to do with Peak Pierce.
And as for that "opponent with no real offensive weapons": That is the same player who beat Graf and Seles in Slam finals (and has a positive H2H with Serena ).
Its easy to say you are not at your peak when losing but you are when you are winning.

That being said, you can go back and check Australian Open final 1995 and see the bunch of errors Arantxa made that day, while Pierce was on her game.

Funny that only a couple of weeks later "peak Australian Open winner" Pierce lost to Graf 62 62 at the Paris Indoors final.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #37
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that. I also remember them interviewing Graf after getting beaten like that. They were trying to get her to comment on howPierce was steamrolling everyone and had just done the same to her and that she was surely a cert for the title. And Graf simply said she was having a dream run and playing really well but the real test was if she can go on to keep playing like that. I don't ever remember Steffi lavishing praise on any player who beat her. But she was right that playing like Pierce had done in the FO up till then that year is one thing. Keeping that level up is another.

And of course it was not to be that she could keep that level up for the whole tournament. Although of course if any player was good at disrupting an opponent and making her opponent look bad it was ASV.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Dec 9th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #38
country flag Juanes
facebook.com/RCTabak

Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute Juanes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
we are talking about peak, don´t we? Peak means the best tennis not the average performance.... hardly you can count as peak the match where Mary lost...

Last edited by Juanes : Dec 9th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Juanes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #39
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

I never seen ASV played in my life. I don't know how she was such a GOAT (10 SFs with 3 titles) at the French.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #40
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is, Peak Pierce was straight setted by ASV?

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #41
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondtieva View Post
Pity she didn't win the title. In a way Stosur was the same at the 2010 French. She didn't lose so few games of course, but she overcame Henin-Serena-Jankovic...then lost to Schiavone .
This must be a joke, are you seriously comparing Francesca with Arantxa.
Stosur was the clear favourite in her final, Pierce was not the favourite, Arantxa was consistently one of the best clay court players on the nineties (when top players actually were good at clay). Yes Pierce destroyed all her rivals, including a very sub par Graf, but on clay against an in form Arantxa the probabilities of end losing were very very high.

I know most people dislike Arantxa's game, and a lot of people here have a tendency to belittle her, but she was very consistent and mentally strong. She even has good h2h against the Williams, yes i know Serena and Venus weren't nowhere they will be after, but Arantxa was far from her peak too.
She didn't have the explosive tennis Pierce had, but she was far more consistent, and it's not a surprise she end having a better career
jj74 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #42
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes View Post
we are talking about peak, don´t we? Peak means the best tennis not the average performance.... hardly you can count as peak the match where Mary lost...
That's the point. Peak Pierce is ultimately ineffective if she can't maintain form for less than two weeks and leaves for the most important match. That's just useless.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #43
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
That's the point. Peak Pierce is ultimately ineffective if she can't maintain form for less than two weeks and leaves for the most important match. That's just useless.
Might as well call her 'Novelty Pierce'.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #44
country flag SUPER

SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of SUPER has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
She even has good h2h against the Williams, yes i know Serena and Venus weren't nowhere they will be after, but Arantxa was far from her peak too.
Yep. She beat Venus in RG2000 before her amazing streak that summer, although I didn`t see that match (and she played baaad in the SF). She also beat Venus and Serena in Sydney98. Not peak sisters, but it means something

Myriam Casanova Lindsay Maritoñi Kimmie Ai Anabel Carla Bovina Jankovic Pepa Jeleníssima Mary Karolina Magüi Vivi Babsi Kimiko Amanda Koulikouvskaya RittnerTestud Dominique Anna K Martina
SUPER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote