Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #91
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
Do you live in the real world? Yes, I am saying that a tennis star coming out would have MORE social value and importance than some NOBODY ranked 300 in the world. A player ranked 300 in the world is a player who has proven he or she cannot compete with THE BEST. A 300 ranked player is so far from the real action at the grand slams and regular ATP and WTA events. A player ranked 300 is too low ranked to even qualify for the grand slams or masters events.

We lived in a celebrity obsessed culture whether you like it or not. In the real world, people who are SUCCESSFUL in professional sport command MORE media attention. I think you know this. If a top 10 or top 20 ATP Pro came out of the closet he would get tremendous media attention. Even a guy ranked in the top 50 could make a difference. But a guy or lady ranked 300 in the world sorry that's somebody who is NOT ONE OF THE BEST.

It would shatter a lot of stereotypes if a top ATP tennis pro ranked in the top 20 or top 50 came out he would prove a gay man can succeed at the highest level in pro tennis. Same thing for a lesbian tennis pro, there is currently one lesbian grand slam champion in the top 10 but she doesn't want to come out of the closet. IF this lady did come out I think she could make a world of difference for gay rights but she choses to be a coward and chooses to not come out.

Your attitude sounds rather naive and simplistic if you think the world is going to care about some NOBODY ranked 300 coming out. Celebrity status trumps everything,the media aren't going to care about some low ranked player ranked 300 in the world ocming out. A higher profile tennis pro would get more media attention, more publicity and really would make a difference for gays in sports. In order to get respect a gay or lesbian tennis player would have to be HIGHER RANKED.

It would prove that gays and lesbians can compete at the HIGHEST LEVEL of sport. Why do you think Martina and Billie Jean King or Amelie Mauresmo command so much respect as lesbian tennis pioneers? These women proved that as lesbians they can also be great TENNIS CHAMPIONS. And that matters A LOT.

A player ranked 300 is someone who isn't that good of a tennis player and if you think that's not PC to say too bad.
To be a good tennis pro is someone ranked in the top 100 because that's the benchmark from being a decent solid pro to the journeyman and women on the challenger circuit.
But an aspiring pro regardless of sexual orientation would still have to start on the lower echelons of the circuit in order to make the main tour. Surely with more out players regardless of where they are ranked might help to give some confidence to younger players and help to weaken the heterosexual hegemony in tennis. Okay, this is probably a bit idealistic but I don't see how coming out just because they aren't a superstar could be deemed as 'unhelpful.'

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #92
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
No shoe or racquet manufacturer would stop sponsering a player because he/she comes out of the closet. That would be PR suicide.
Unless it's Venus, Serena or Maria Sharapova, are you even going to know? Also, the company doesn't have to announce why they aren't extending an endorsement deal. Companies didn't announce they weren't using Navratilova as a product rep because she was gay. She just didn't have any endorsements.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #93
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, there is a current tennis champion top 10 player on the WTA who is a lesbian everyone knows she's gay she lives in a glass closet. This particular top player isn't hiding she's got a girlfriend she simply doesn't feel the need to come out which is disappointing I believe.
Once more, the deadly 'everyone knows'.

'Everyone' DOESN'T 'know that'. Most fans don't 'know' that. Hell, I'm as big a fan of women's tennis as there is, and I don't even know who you're referencing. And I don't CARE. My interest in players off-court lives begins and ends with how they train (or don't). A lot of sports fans in a lot of sports are like that. I live and work surrounded by fans of the (American football) New York Giants. They can, and do, talk about them for hours, day after day after day. And it's almost all about on the field minutae. Baseball, cycling, mma, golf, it's all the same. Most fans don't care about the player's private lives. (Unless it affects their game.)

Last edited by Volcana : Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #94
country flag chuvack

chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future

Morrissey ignores the basic observation that, by nature:

1) Lesbian women are inclined toward sports, while

2) Gay men are inclined away from sports.

This creates a big selection bias in the tennis player (and all pro sports) sample.
chuvack is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #95
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post

Is that so? One could think so by looking at all the openly gay footballers etc but I feel this is just another stereotype.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #96
country flag bjurra

bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Is that so? One could think so by looking at all the openly gay footballers etc but I feel this is just another stereotype.
I once dated a female rugby player and she said they were two straight players in the team. Obviously rugby is an extreme sport but I think this is not just a stereotype.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #97
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, by that logic we would have to assume that even more tennis players than just the average among women in general are gay then.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #98
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Well, by that logic we would have to assume that even more tennis players than just the average among women in general are gay then.
well, that's pretty much the case, yeah...
while not even counting Stosur's case, we still know about the likes of Hercog and Danilidou from TOP 100. And that's forgetting numerous gay doubles players as well. Female tennis always attracted homosexual crowd, like it or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #99
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This creates a big selection bias in the tennis player (and all pro sports) sample.
sorry, what?

Beat is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #100
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future gulzhan has a brilliant future

Quote:

+1
gulzhan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #101
country flag Level55

Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of Level55 has much to be proud of

Quote:

There does tend to be more lesbians drawn to sport, the same way an above average number of gay guys are drawn to professions like hairdressing. They are still a minority, but the percentage is higher than most other places. But still, you can't always go on stereotypes. I know a lot of lesbians, most of whom are very feminine.

We can't say for sure who is or isn't gay. That's what is bugging me on this thread. You don't know for sure that there is definitely a gay guy in the top 100. Of course statistically speaking it seems unlikely that there is none, but I'm sick of people trying to out someone with no evidence other than there own gaydar, which must be right

I don't think it's easier for lesbians to come out anyway. There are hardly any out lesbians on the wta tour, and players like Flavia Pennetta has acknowledged there is a lot of them. It's sad that in this day and age people still have to hide their sexuality. There has been rumours about Sharapova's sexuality, but that doesn't mean much. Most rumours are made up. But if they were true, there is no way someone with that many male fans and endorsements could come out.

Plus, on the atp tour there is a lot of homophobia. Tipsarevic is definitely not the only bigoted guy on the tour. Sport can be a pretty bigoted place unfortunately.
Level55 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #102
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
I find it funny how you guys are so eager and desperate to "OUT" a Top tennis player - just because arround 5% of population is homosexual, doesn't mean that there should 5 gay guys or gay girls in TOP 100 too...law of averages doesn't work like that I'm afraid. And even if there are some homosexual players in the lower ranks, nobody cares about them coming out anyway. If some elite tennis player was truly gay, we would have a good clue about it in this age of globalisation and social media...end of
Personally I think that number is far off. Sexuality IMO and many others is a spectrum. And how do they get these numbers anyway? I surely have never been asked, neither have any of my friends whom I know are gay.

And I'm sure the closeted members of society aren't going to relinquish that information freely either. 5% seems too low to me, especially when you include bisexual people who just hide it.
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
TT Singles Current Ranking: #2 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #25 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #103
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
sorry, what?
I'm sure this poster is just reverting to stereotypes that lesbian women are more manly (i.e. more drawn to sports) and gay men are stereotyped as being feminine (i.e. decline away from sports).. This is the problem in society when people senselessly go back to these stereotypes.
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #104
country flag ~{X}~

~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Cory... I have seen that limp wrist come out on some of your volleys.

I'm joking.

WOZNIACKI BOUCHARD VENUS
~{X}~ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #105
country flag Inger67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~{X}~tianuccio View Post
Oh Cory... I have seen that limp wrist come out on some of your volleys.

I'm joking.
bitch

I'm going to brainlessly bash your ass with a tennis ball from across the court the next time I see you
Closed Thread