Tipping doubles (2012) ideas, suggestions...? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #46
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tipping doubles (2012) ideas, suggestions...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Håkon View Post
Well I hope you wouldn't guess 28 games then because the maximum would be 26.

I think that may be the fairest and easiest solution to implement.

Idea: should 'one of the team members closer' be a tie-breaker before who posted first? IMO, if the match is 20 games, 19 & 21 is a better tip than 17 & 23. (Not entirely sure the 2nd one is a better tip when the match is 16 games, though...)
Smartass

As for the second part of your post, currently we break ties by looking at the guess of a player who is closer and compare it to the closer one of the other team. Example: if it 22 games and team A guesses 17 and 24, while team B guesses 19 and 26, cause 24 is closer than 19. Hope that's what you're referring to.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #47
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

Um...that contradicts your post #43

Quote:
"During a tournament, points of a team are a sum of points earned by the two players (e.g. 31+24=55 for a team). For a final match number of games is guessed and the average of the two numbers guessed by the team members is used to solve ties (23+27=50/2=25). If two teams have the same average, the team with the fastest poster wins."
The averages: team A 20.5, team B 22.5, so team B wins by the average method, while team A wins by the method you just described.

I was talking about when the averages were just as far away (say, team A had guessed 19 & 24).
yet the weakest one still

twitter
Håkon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #48
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Håkon View Post
Um...that contradicts your post #43

The averages: team A 20.5, team B 22.5, so team B wins by the average method, while team A wins by the method you just described.

I was talking about when the averages were just as far away (say, team A had guessed 19 & 24).
Really don't know what I was thinking...actually I do, what I wrote in the last post was an idea I initially had, but then we went with the average. You're right about picking the closer instead of faster team member, that actually makes much more sense.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #49
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

Tournaments with super tie break:

If the players believe there will be super tie break, they will guess

16 games and 17 points

If the players believe there will be no super tie break, simply guess

16 games

Sort by games first then points if games guessed are the same.

Historic #1: FITD S / Tipping S&D / Tennis Tipping D
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #50
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like that suggestion - between two closely matched pairs it's a bit of a lottery whether it goes a super tie-break or not. Also it's a bit complicated to learn.

twitter
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM   #51
country flag ma re

So here we are at the second week of Wimbledon 2013 and still without solutions to some of the old problems of tipping doubles. Therefore just tell me if you are in favor of these suggestions to become rules:

- that when it comes to super tie-break, which is played in all tournaments except Grand slams, we play this "third set" separately; therefore if you think the STB will be played in this match you write "22 games + 16 points" - first one for the two sets and the second one for the super tie-break

- that we reduce the bonus points given at YEC to those of a Premier event - it's just 4 teams and 3 matches to play so no reason to reward tipping players with so many bonus points
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM   #52
country flag Håkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
So here we are at the second week of Wimbledon 2013 and still without solutions to some of the old problems of tipping doubles. Therefore just tell me if you are in favor of these suggestions to become rules:

- that when it comes to super tie-break, which is played in all tournaments except Grand slams, we play this "third set" separately; therefore if you think the STB will be played in this match you write "22 games + 16 points" - first one for the two sets and the second one for the super tie-break

- that we reduce the bonus points given at YEC to those of a Premier event - it's just 4 teams and 3 matches to play so no reason to reward tipping players with so many bonus points
yes

yes

that wasnt so hard

twitter