Hypothetical: If you could cure Cancer or HIV/AIDS, which would you cure? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #31
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future
Re: Hypothetical: If you could cure Cancer or HIV/AIDS, which would you cure?

HIV/AIDS

Both cancer and HIV/AIDS have biological mechanisms that make it very hard to cure, but in the grander scheme of things, I feel that HIV/AIDS development is a lot less slower. For the most part, it's becoming a "third-world" disease, glamorized by these benefit concerts (not that cancer isn't but we don't usually hear back about advancements in AIDS or if there's a decline in rates)...and there's the additional social stigma to it.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #32
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
People infected with HIV nowadays do not die from it because of improved anti-retroviral therapies that allow people to live their life for as long as a healthy individual would. If indeed the patients allow themselves to dip to the point where the disease becomes AIDS because their immune system is reduced and CD4 counts are below 200, it is not AIDS that kill them, it is the opportunistic infections that kill them. In fact, the chance of you dying in a automobile accident is much higher than dying of HIV/AIDS due to opportunistic infection. Hope that helps you understand a bit about the disease.

Sincerely,
Dr. B MD, Pharm.D., MBA
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #33
country flag iHeartTroyBolton

iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reephoria. View Post
HIV/AIDS.

Mainly because the great proportion of sufferers are in the developing world and have no access to any form of treatment what so ever. Also AIDS is probably one the worst illnesses in the modern world, which has some pretty horrific side affects some of which can include cancer. A lot more people who get cancer now days are able to survive due to medical advances which allow for treatment while there is, in reality, no treatment for AIDS.
In that idea, if someone is from the developing world do you think they have access to cancer treatments?

Like others have said, I'd have to go with cancer as it is preventable.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
iHeartTroyBolton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #34
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, as Reephoria said HIV/AIDS in the developing world don't have access to healthcare so there's that to consider. I think I would go with cancer for the reasons LBV said, HIV hasn't been around half as long and there's been much more breakthroughs in terms of finding a cure.

So, if we're more likely to eventually cure HIV/AIDS then I'd go with cancer.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #35
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
People infected with HIV nowadays do not die from it because of improved anti-retroviral therapies that allow people to live their life for as long as a healthy individual would. If indeed the patients allow themselves to dip to the point where the disease becomes AIDS because their immune system is reduced and CD4 counts are below 200, it is not AIDS that kill them, it is the opportunistic infections that kill them. In fact, the chance of you dying in a automobile accident is much higher than dying of HIV/AIDS due to opportunistic infection. Hope that helps you understand a bit about the disease.

Sincerely,
Dr. B MD, Pharm.D., MBA
People with access and can afford those improved anti-retroviral therapies might not die because of HIV/AIDS. But thousands of people (mostly in Africa) die each year because of AIDS.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #36
country flag Mynarco
Bra Vibrationer

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute
Cancer. Definitely.
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #37
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
People with access and can afford those improved anti-retroviral therapies might not die because of HIV/AIDS. But thousands of people (mostly in Africa) die each year because of AIDS.
5 times as many people die from cancer.

Vartan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #38
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartan View Post
Okay.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #39
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartan View Post
But how many more people in the world have reported cases of cancer compared to AIDS?

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #40
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Same could be said for cancer, though.

Vartan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #41
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
People infected with HIV nowadays do not die from it because of improved anti-retroviral therapies that allow people to live their life for as long as a healthy individual would.
This. That's why my answer is cancer, not because HIV is preventable.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #42
country flag Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice Say Hey Kid is just really nice

Cancer.

That said, most Cancer is as preventable as AIDS.

Don't smoke, drink excess alcohol, use drugs (illegal or "prescription") don't binge on red meat, processed foods, GMO garbage, and in all likely hood you will not get cancer.

The vast majority of Cancer is brought on by people's lifestyle choices, just like most cases of AIDS are transmitted the same way.
Say Hey Kid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #43
country flag iHeartTroyBolton

iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice iHeartTroyBolton is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Hey Kid View Post
Cancer.

That said, most Cancer is as preventable as AIDS.

Don't smoke, drink excess alcohol, use drugs (illegal or "prescription") don't binge on red meat, processed foods, GMO garbage, and in all likely hood you will not get cancer.

The vast majority of Cancer is brought on by people's lifestyle choices, just like most cases of AIDS are transmitted the same way.
The vast majority? That is just utter rubbish. While I've seen a study that called 40% caused by lifestyle (in the UK), that's not yet a majority, and far from vast.

iHeartTroyBolton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #44
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Hey Kid View Post
That's what you should avoid generally if you want to stay healthy. It doesn't have to be cancer, heart attack is coming for you if you do that. If you're HIV positive and do all these things, AIDS is coming for you. You're ignoring genetics here. Smoking,eating processed food, using drugs and alcohol is the way to get some disease. A heart attack twill get you sooner than a cancer in this case, but does it explain all weird kinds of tumor that exist? Or simply, how is that possible that people who live in rural areas and don't smoke at all get a lung cancer?
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #45
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

I have chosen cancer because it is number 1 killer in Croatia.
Here where I live I don't think there is any family who didn't lose someone because some form of cancer.
It's frightening how many people get it and it doesn't matter always about lifestyle.
It's shocking when someone who lives healthy all their life suddenly gets cancer.
So many cases here must be connected with recent war, these are just the effects of it.
Not to mention Chernobyl disaster which affected whole of Europe and which effects we don't understand completely.

I also believe cure for AIDS will be found out sooner.

Last edited by tennismaster8820 : Dec 5th, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote