Serena noches yet another RECORD! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Serena noches yet another RECORD!

The feats and records that this lady captures (and at the twilight of her tennis years) is unfathomable!

Keep going Serena!!!

Serena & Margaret: An Unmatchable Feat?

EL PASO, TX, USA - At the end of October one of the WTA's true legends, Margaret Osborne duPont, passed away in El Paso, Texas at the age of 94, leaving behind a legacy that included 37 Grand Slam titles across all three disciplines - six in singles, 21 in doubles and 10 in mixed doubles.

Meanwhile over in Istanbul, Turkey, Serena Williams was continuing her 2012 domination of the WTA - among her titles this year were the Wimbledon and US Open singles and the Wimbledon doubles crowns, bringing her career Grand Slam haul to 30 - 15 in singles, 13 in doubles and two in mixed doubles.

But capturing 30 or more Grand Slam titles - and across all three of the disciplines too - isn't all that connects Osborne duPont and Williams. They share an absolutely incredible and perhaps ummatchable feat...

They are the only two players in the history of women's tennis to fight back from match point down en route to winning multiple Grand Slam singles titles.

Osborne duPont achieved the feat twice, saving match points to beat Pauline Betz in the 1946 French Open final, 16 86 75, and again against Louise Brough in the final of the 1948 US Open final, winning that one, 46 64 1513.
Williams has done it three times, at the 2003 Australian Open (saving two match points down 5-2 in the third set of her 46 63 75 semifinal win over Kim Clijsters), the 2005 Australian Open (saving three match points down 5-4 in the third set of her 26 75 86 semifinal win over Maria Sharapova), and last but certainly not least, 2009 Wimbledon (saving one match point down 5-4 in the third set of her 67(4) 75 86 semifinal victory over Elena Dementieva).

"The mental toughness you have to have to be match point down and come back, not only to win that match but to also win the tournament, it means a lot," Williams said of the rare statistic during her run in Istanbul. "You have to be really ready mentally to do that. She must have been really tough.

"It's a shame we've lost such a great ambassador for women's tennis."

DuPont's six Grand Slam singles titles were made up of two French Opens, one Wimbledon and three US Opens; her 21 Grand Slam doubles titles were made up of three French Opens, five Wimbledons and 13 US Opens; and her 10 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles were one Wimbledon and nine US Opens. She never contested the Australian Open and her career haul is fourth all-time following Margaret Court, Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena noches yet another RECORD!

I thought this was going to be a thread about Serena and Margaret Court recording a rap song together. Yep, for a nanosecond that's what I thought.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Nothing new here! She's already up there with the great ones ...tell us something Serena hasn't done already!!
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Sorry, but if you have allowed your opponent to get as close as one point from winning the match, it usually means that you play pretty bad.

Just one unreturnable serve, one netcord or one lucky shot that clips the line and you lost, whether being a mental giant or not.

It's obviously far more impressive to win slams without facing any matchpoint or even setpoint at all.

But I understand that it's still a few weeks before the Australian swing starts.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

Clearly Serena has tougher mentally than Margaret. She proved it so many times. I don't know how much she came back from the dead but surely noone will ever touch this record.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
LOL. Sorry, but if you have allowed your opponent to get as close as one point from winning the match, it usually means that you play pretty bad.

Just one unreturnable serve, one netcord or one lucky shot that clips the line and you lost, whether being a mental giant or not.

It's obviously far more impressive to win slams without facing any matchpoint or even setpoint at all.

But I understand that it's still a few weeks before the Australian swing starts.
I don't think the article was trying to point out that saving MPs to win the title is a great win. It just showed how amazing these 2 champions could be even when their situations were critical.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
country flag Pump-it-UP
Senior Stan

Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute

Serena has been 3 points away from losing in 10 of her 15 slam victories I think.

1999 USO - 2 points (maybe 3?) away vs Clijsters
2002 RG - 3 points (maybe 2? maybe 4? ) away vs Capriati
2003 AO - saved MP's vs Clijsters, 2 points away vs Loit
2005 AO - saved MP's vs Sharapova
2007 AO - 2 points away vs Peer, 3 points away vs Petrova
2009 AO - 2 (3?) points away vs Kuznetsova
2009 Wimbledon - saved MP against Dementieva
2010 AO - 3 points away vs Azarenka
2012 Wimbledon - 3 points away vs Shvedova, 4 points away vs Zheng
2012 USO - 2 points away vs Azarenka

GO AWAY Bitch!!! We don't want your Avon.
Pump-it-UP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8
liuxuan

liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump-it-UP View Post
Serena has been 3 points away from losing in 10 of her 15 slam victories I think.

that is pretty amazing!

i dont know how many times capriati has been 2 points away from the us open finals during her 3 marathon SF defeats!
liuxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #10
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's more impressive from a dominance stand point but to be one point away from elimination and to fight back to win the match and go on to win the tournament is very impressive as well. And to do it repeatedly (sometimes in the same event) is pretty remarkable as well. If we can replay the tapes, Petrova & Peer both had Serena on the ropes in the 2007 Australian Open and that just made Serena even hungrier for the final where she gave us one of the most dominate displays of tennis that a grand slam final has ever seen in tennis history.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Wow!
Certainly a testament to her mental toughness.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #12
dragonflies

dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

LOL, it's true what you said, winning a Slam facing match point( s) is certainly worse of an achievement than winning a Slam not dropping a set.

RVD is usually so excited to praise Serena at all cost, so he made a mistake as labeling this as a "record" as if Slam champions would have to try for more while it's obviously not that case. All champions would rather get to the victories not having to face match point(s).

However, this stats spoke about another vital aspect of Serena that not every champions have (ie Novotna, Kim, Kuzy, etc... to name a few) . That is the mental toughness and the ability to come back from the brink of defeat.

As Serena already has Slam victories while she won without dropping a set, this aspect would enhance Serena's dynamic range as a complete player. Serena saved most of her match points by calmly raised her games and hitting winners to get back into the match. Only a few Slam champions have been able to do that. Having match points against you in a big match under the eyes of millions people all over the world and thousands directly would have a big impact on the nerves and execution, so to be able to overcome that should be viewed as an accomplishment in term of showing your mental toughness.
dragonflies is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #13
country flag RVD

Quote:

Really?

I suppose one could view it in that perspective.
However, you have to judge each match independently to say one way or another.
It could easily be said that the opponents she faced were playing remarkably well and that Serena was required to dig deep to win.
We are talking about slam finals here.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised at that stat, I would have thought some of the other GOATs, especially Steffi and Margaret would have had as many or more slams won from down MP. Then again back in the day good players were able to waltz through slams unchallenged for ~4 rounds
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #15
country flag Kuzzy24

Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute

It'll probably happen again at the Australian .
Kuzzy24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote