Racism? - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #376
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Racism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
I don't think the cross-race effect is inherently oppressive, and its just probably a by-product of racial segregation within society today.
I don't think its racist.
I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing between Japanese and Koreans and I know plenty of both. I use to feel bad about it until I mentioned it to a Japanese friend, she laughed and said that they sometimes have the same problem so I felt better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #377
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

It is not racist, it is a primitive surviving skill we learn when we are babies, we need to distinguish our family member faces when we are babys that's why it gets hard for us to distinguish people of different facial features of our mother.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #378
country flag wta_zuperfann
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute

Some right wingers remain under the illusion that racism does not exist in the USA. That it is only a figment in the imagination of leftists or of minorities. But racism is very real and the so called "wilding" case in which police manufactured evidence and forced confessions illustrates this quite effectively. Now, there is a new documentary which shows how it is the police who were the real criminals in this case:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...tral-Park-Five

Some of you who are old enough to remember this case know how ultra reich wing racist Rush Limbaugh spent an entire week discussing this and how it affirmed that black men were all out to rape white women. Then, years later when DNA evidence established their innocence, we did not get so much as one word of regret from that racist Hitlerian jackass. Today, those racist cops are retired and enjoying their tax financed pensions when they should have gone on trial for conspiracy to commit murder and for RICO violations.

Abraham Lincoln
wta_zuperfann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #379
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Recently I confused Venus with Serena in one of the pics, which was surprising, because I don't find them similar at all. Then I tried to think which one of them reminds me more of Oracene and which one of them reminds me more of Richard and I couldn't find the answer at all. Perhaps Venus looks like her mother, IDK. Serbian commentators confuse the sisters a lot and I noticed that they often speak about them as if they were one person.
Serena = Oracene
Venus = Richard

I think. Lol
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #380
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Serena's face is rounder than Venus, thats how I would always be able to tell them apart.

Greatest American Tennis Player.
██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #381
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post

I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing between Japanese and Koreans and I know plenty of both. I use to feel bad about it until I mentioned it to a Japanese friend, she laughed and said that they sometimes have the same problem so I felt better.
Perfectly understandable, as Korea has been occupied by Japan or China thru much of its history. I think many (if not most) Koreans look like a "cross" between Chinese and Japanese; which isn't meant 2B disrespectful to them, just to acknowledge that part of the genome of most Koreans is presumably Chinese, and part Japanese.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #382
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

cross-race effect is not racist but i find it a bit annoying when people don't bother trying to distinguish between individuals of a different race. my closest friends are very diverse and it bothers me if some people don't bother remembering their names but just call them "that asian guy" or "that black girl". that's highly annoying, and not just because in some cases there's more than one person who could be described like that.

personally i don't really feel that effect much. i even can see similarities between individuals accross the race boundaries. like, there is a black girl who appears in a music video that reminds me of one of my asian friends a lot.

and fwiw i also don't think ana and julia look all that similar. i also highly doubt i would confuse serena and venus but they do look like sisters.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #383
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
cross-race effect is not racist but i find it a bit annoying when people don't bother trying to distinguish between individuals of a different race. my closest friends are very diverse and it bothers me if some people don't bother remembering their names but just call them "that asian guy" or "that black girl". that's highly annoying.
I think this also has to do with the writing and phonetics differences between languages, which can be very considerable. Some middle eastern and asian names can be really hard to memorize and pronounce correctly even for me, and I studied languages for years, so generally speaking, I don't think ppl do that because they lack respect or don't care.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #384
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Perfectly understandable, as Korea has been occupied by Japan or China thru much of its history. I think many (if not most) Koreans look like a "cross" between Chinese and Japanese; which isn't meant 2B disrespectful to them, just to acknowledge that part of the genome of most Koreans is presumably Chinese, and part Japanese.
WTF are you talking about JR

Korea was occupied by Japan from 1910 to 1945. That's it. And China? When did China occupy Korea?

And what, Korean genome is part Chinese and Japan?
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #385
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Is this supposed to be racist? On paper it should be, like grape soda, but on real life no one takes the grape soda thing seriously and both black and white people joke about it all the time

Because I laughed my ass off with this gif

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #386
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post

WTF are you talking about JR

Korea was occupied by Japan from 1910 to 1945. That's it. And China? When did China occupy Korea?

And what, Korean genome is part Chinese and Japan?
Not state to state, but Korea was certainly settled by Chinese ppl, which the former being a small peninsula jutting into the sea (its only land border being with China) facilitated a mixed genetic lineage ova the centuries. Also native Koreans living in China and "intermarrying" B4 they or descendants went back.... thus inherited genetics, as indeed incorporated into appearance. Of course there were similar "unions" between Koreans and Japanese for a very long time; and Japanese-Chinese.

As a footnote, the Kampo herbal medicines of Japan are essentially the same as TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) remedies, albeit with different names.

================================================== =======

Last edited by *JR* : Dec 4th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #387
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post

Is this supposed to be racist? On paper it should be, like grape soda, but on real life no one takes the grape soda thing seriously and both black and white people joke about it all the time

Or course thats racist.

Greatest American Tennis Player.
██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #388
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post

KFC (fried chicken) is like schnitzel.

Is this funny?

And ...

In China, where KFC first opened in 1987, it is the largest Western restaurant chain, with over 4,000 branches, and China is one of the only countries in the world where McDonald's is not the dominant fast food chain - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC

Recently ...

Japan Airlines will begin serving KFC on select holiday flights. (Japan Airlines)

By Tiffany Hsu latimes.com November 28, 2012, 8:33 a.m.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #389
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

What is the actual KFC reference? What is the history behind the racist connotation there?!
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #390
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote