Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #31
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet?

I'm sorry but it's hilarious how desperately you're trying to be offended by anything I say

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #32
Noten

Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of
Re: Why do tennis fans accept lesbian tennis stars yet no one in ATP out of closet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
Simple, because in our sexist world lesbians = hot, gay males = disgusting
Not true at all. A 'lesbian' is only seen as hot as long as she fulfils the straight male fantasies (eg. is willing to fuck 'em) that's hardly acceptance.
Noten is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #33
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I'm sorry but it's hilarious how desperately you're trying to be offended by anything I say
are you lesbian?
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #34
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
There are none who are officially out as far as I know, it's all hearsay and shouldn't be part of this topic.
What do you define as out? Coming out and announcing it to the world? Then no. But there have been many recent players who everyone knew were lesbians, like Obziler for instance who had a baby with her partner. There are "officially out" players, it just so happens very few top players atm, and lower ranked players like Obziler aren't going to make a huge statement about it.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM   #35
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

And the answer to this thread is simple. Society is sexist, being seen as feminine is negative and a sign of weakness. Many straight men make the incorrect assumption that being gay means you are feminine. Being seen as masculine is, while not necessarily seen as positive, is more acceptable. The different ways gay men and gay women are often treated from each other stems from society equating gayness with femininity, then femininity with weakness and negativity.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM   #36
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

Amelie Mauresmo did not lose any endorsements when she came out in fact she is a hero in France for being the first French woman since the 1920s to be Wimbledon champion. Mauresmo is adored in France and respected by the French people. Yes, money or the fear of losing endosements could be a reason top players remain in the closet. But if the media found out, wouldn't that hurt a company that would strip a player of endosement money by coming out? I have to believe in the year 2012, a company that would cut ties with an openly gay player would get bad press.

It does seem like everything is going in reverse on the WTA. Notice the recent WTA championships and all the top 8 players getting their makeup done, wearing gowns ect. Back in the 1990s, at the WTA championships I don't think they did that. This whole glam thing is new, to indicate to the audience that these fit female tennis players are still feminine and still can present a heterosexual image to male consumers. I find it odd that the WTA is trying to appeal to heterosexual men and not appeal to straight women or the gay community who support women's tennis.

Also, there is a current tennis champion top 10 player on the WTA who is a lesbian everyone knows she's gay she lives in a glass closet. This particular top player isn't hiding she's got a girlfriend she simply doesn't feel the need to come out which is disappointing I believe.

And it makes me wonder, why it is so easy to identify the lesbian tennis players yet on the ATP Tour the general public is lead to believe all the top guys are heterosexual and have model type girlfriends. There's got to be one guy in the top 20 who is gay or bisexual.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #37
country flag nathanj594

nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to throw in names to this, but does anyone remember back in like '07 or '08 when Richie Gasquet kept denying that he was gay even though the rumors about his sexuality (dating that banker old guy or something like that) died like a year prior to his comments? It was something like "Yea, I don't have a girlfriend, just male friends...but I'm not gay." Why would he have to sit there and defend that when no one brought it up in the first place? My point is that I wonder that there has to be something fishy going on in the ATP that somehow frowns on being open. Just conspiracies of course, but if that's true, then that is really sad. =[ Us gay male tennis fans (there's plenty of us) would love a male role model.

Ree & Vee - Sveta Kuz - Kleybanova
nathanj594 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #38
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

It's also true that in various professions, various groups are over- and underrepresented, often as a result of bias, perceived opportunity, etc. Examples being in the NBA, blacks are significantly overrepresented, while in Fortune 500 boardrooms they are severely underrepresented. For any number of reasons, it's possible that lesbians are reflectively or overrepresented in the WTA while gay men are underrepresented in the ATP and other professional sports.

I am not suggesting that gay men can't be athletic, as obviously there are some excellent gay athletes. However, one could certainly see that hostility, the somewhat neanderthalic code of male sporting culture, etc. might discourage many gay men from pursuing any sport at its higher levels. This perpetuates the vicious circle, driving a less supportive culture for gay male athletes.

(And I'm not saying all straight men who play sports are neanderthals. I just know from having played sports and having sons who played sports there is a lowest common denominator element at work that makes it very hard for even straight males of a reasonably straight sort to put up with some of the crap that goes on in the locker room). At least IMHO.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #39
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
Also, there is a current tennis champion top 10 player on the WTA who is a lesbian everyone knows she's gay she lives in a glass closet. This particular top player isn't hiding she's got a girlfriend she simply doesn't feel the need to come out which is disappointing I believe.
Just who might that be, Orville?
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #40
country flag alex.2812

alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of alex.2812 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj594 View Post
I hate to throw in names to this, but does anyone remember back in like '07 or '08 when Richie Gasquet kept denying that he was gay even though the rumors about his sexuality (dating that banker old guy or something like that) died like a year prior to his comments? It was something like "Yea, I don't have a girlfriend, just male friends...but I'm not gay." Why would he have to sit there and defend that when no one brought it up in the first place? My point is that I wonder that there has to be something fishy going on in the ATP that somehow frowns on being open. Just conspiracies of course, but if that's true, then that is really sad. =[ Us gay male tennis fans (there's plenty of us) would love a male role model.
In France, lots of men tend to justify themselves for not being gay. We often hear men saying "I don't have a girlfriend but I'm not gay" or "I'm not gay but I think this man is not handsome". I've heard it a bit abroad but not as much as in France.
alex.2812 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #41
country flag espana

espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all

I think a player can benefit from revealing that he's gay. Look at Frank Ocean - before he revealed he's gay he was basically unknown, but after, he became a huge star, his album was released early due to high demand from fans - it went #1 on iTunes, he got invited to lots of shows and music awards. It's expected that he'll be nominated for several Grammys and other musicians praised him for coming out. I think the first one to come out could potentially really benefit from it. Society is more acceptable of gays & lesbians than ever.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #42
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Martina Navartilova was one of the first to set the precedent for lesbian women in sports, even though it's still not talked about alot, it's more accepted than gay men.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #43
country flag espana

espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all espana is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
Just who might that be, Orville?
Stosur
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #44
country flag nathanj594

nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.2812 View Post
In France, lots of men tend to justify themselves for not being gay. We often hear men saying "I don't have a girlfriend but I'm not gay" or "I'm not gay but I think this man is not handsome". I've heard it a bit abroad but not as much as in France.
I guess it's like the American "no homo" thing. Didn't think of it that way. Ahhhh the world and her various customs.

Ree & Vee - Sveta Kuz - Kleybanova
nathanj594 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #45
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
are you lesbian?
Yep, and a very, very butch one at that.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread