Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 164 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2446
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Hi Kati, watched it online, didn't record it.
Few tidbits I have learnt from the interview:
1. Steffi never danced with anyone at Wimbledon as the winner's dance was before her and Agassi's time. Agassi did not know about it.
2. Never drank wine before but does enjoy red wine once in a while.
3. The most amusing response to me was her response to what she felt about Agassi approaching her which she replied (not word to word but something like this):
"He is married and why is he after me. I had a boyfriend and although I knew where the relationship was heading, thought this is no way going to work out with a married man". She understood better after the divorce was made official in a few weeks.
4. Marriage was just a formality that they needed to complete and wanted to keep it simple, so the back yard ceremony.
5. Visiting India is on their to do list and definitely plan on visiting sometime in future.

Think this is the first time Steffi speaking about her side 'on camera' and was nice to see her all happy and comfortable talking about their relationships.
Fantastic reading! Steffi is one of a kind on and off the court really, I love her!
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #2447
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Fantastic reading! Steffi is one of a kind on and off the court really, I love her!
Agree, she is one of a kind. Watching the interview, just fell in love all over again. Just proud of how she has evolved as a person.
Great to see Vijay Amritraj stating the same about her virtues on and off court and how graceful she is.
As Agassi rightly stated, he talks a lot (needs it to keep himself in check) but Steffi just lives what she believes, doesn't feel the need to talk.
Not sure if I mentioned it here before but read in Tennis magazine, the greatest advice that Steffi gave to her husband: (Agassi stated in better words than what I can recall here)
"When you have an issue or a problem, spend as much time as you need to understand it, once you understood, start doing what you believe. There is no point in wasting time talking about it"
And that is how she has lived so far.....
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2448
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Monica Puig ‏@MonicaAce93
Honored that Steffi came to practice today!! #legend
http://twitter.com/MonicaAce93/statu...242816/photo/1
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2449
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

^ thanks
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2450
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

An article from the French with evidence that Steffi was not always une grincheuse teutone.

Graf: A love for Steffi
The German champion deserves the affection which she is regarded by the public of Roland-Garros: those who rub shoulders with her each year bear witness
By Katell Pommereul
L'ÉQUIPE MAGAZINE
Number 790
24 May 1997

The months have passed, but the emotion had still not left Steffi Graf. One that she had felt during the ladies singles final of Roland-Garros against Arantxa Sanchez, last year. More than three hours of an intense battle which she nevertheless confesses she wished wouldn't have ended. "I had never known this feeling. At each change of ends, I could hear the crowd encourage me, chanting my name..." Steffi gave a surprise smile. Laughing even, as though drunk by a wave of happiness. "This final will always remain a match apart. The most magical of all. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but it was marvelous." And time has erased nothing. "But how can we not love Steffi Graf?"

The exclamation comes from a small bit of a woman with boundless energy: Patricia is responsible for the ladies' locker room of Court Central, there where joys, sorrows, and sufferings intermingle for fifteen days. Also where there are pleasant encounters, those that mark the spirit forever. "The first time I met Steffi was in 1989. Like the other players, she chose a locker, and I gave her the secret combination." Then, over the years, their relationship evolved. "At the start, it was a simple hello, then a handshake... And now it's very natural to exchange kisses... I believe that what she likes here is that it has points of reference. From one year to the other, she found the same people in the same posts, and it is for this that she feels comfortable."

Patricia became even more acquainted with the rest of the Graf family, in particular Heidi, the mother, who comes to greet her every morning and has already invited her to have breakfast while her daughter was leaving to practice at dawn... "Steffi has her little habits at Roland-Garros. She usually arrives in Paris on the Thursday before the tournament, and, even if she only practices the next day, she made an appearance at the stadium to take possession of her locker." A ritual to which Patricia yields with good grace, admitting that the idea of ceding "her" locker to another player wouldn't occur to her: "Every year, she takes the same one, and the combination is identical."

It is with a gleam of modest admiration in her eyes that Patricia evokes the character, such as she perceives it, of Steffi Graf. "I am obliged to meet all the players admitted to the big scene. Some of them are very cool, cheerful, but Steffi stands out. You really don't have the impression that she is number one in the world! She is very humble, very kind... And her attitude is the same, whether she lost or won; that is what is extraordinary about her." The trust that Steffi has accorded to Patricia manifests itself in small gestures but also in a few physical souvenirs: "She has given me tennis shoes, a racket... I also kept her runner-up plate in 1992 against Monica Seles." While asserting she is eager to see the German player again each year, Patricia does not fear the end of her career. But she admits plainly: "The day when she plays no more, I believe that I will be no longer be able to assign her locker. I would like for it to remain hers, forever."

For Catherine, "after Steffi" already began a long time ago, but is far from having turned into a drama. A ballgirl during the 1987 and 1988 editions of the tournament, the young suburbanite thought well to be gone at the end of her business. A very simple business built of exchanged smiles, of "merci" and of please uttered by the player, in matches as in training. "Edberg, Wilander, Sabatini, and Graf really stood out with their kindness and their modesty. To the point that among us, we had established a schedule rotation. Otherwise, we would have to fight to work at their matches..."

Student and tennis player herself, Catherine had to miss the four following editions of the tournament due to testing or competition. When she returns to Roland-Garros in 1993, she resumes her habits and settles in the photographers' pit, where she returns a few stray balls while Steffi practices on the center court. At the end of the session, the German comes to thank her. Catherine introduces herself: "I was a ballgirl in 1987..." Steffi adds: "Yes, and the following year also, if I'm not mistaken." The young girl can't get over it.

She will be equally surprised to hear her elder by a few years offer her tickets for the upcoming tournament. As she will on occasions at subsequent editions of the event, random encounters in the aisles of Roland-Garros. As she will do it still again at Wimbledon in 1996... "If I didn't have but a few words to define Steffi, I would say simple and generous. Sincere also. Three qualities that are just simply extraordinary, taking into account all this craziness that surrounds her."

Her conviction comes from a few free gestures or sentences exchanged here and there, during impromptu conversations. But under no circumstance would Catherine dare to assert herself to be one of the "pals" of Steffi, and still less to be her "friend." Not even a fierce fan: "I admire what she does, I admire her game and her personality. But I'm not hysterical. For example, I have never written to her because I don't want to bother, to disturb."

It is equally the concern of Michel, whose size could give reason to think that his duty at Steffi's side is titled "bodyguard." In fact, this artist of Parisian origin is her accredited chauffeur during the Parisian fortnight for many years. "The first time that I met her was in 1987. The company Opel, with which she was under contract, provided her with a car and driver. I went to go and fetch her at the airport with a photo of her in case I didn't recognize her!" The times have changed. Today, it is Steffi herself who contacted him a few days before her arrival to arrange to meet him. And their collaboration took a friendly turn. "We called from time to time, we wish each other happy birthday. She invited me several times to see her play at Wimbledon. And when she comes to Paris, we meet. Steffi had also attended the preview of my painting exhibition last year..."

Even if Michel confesses to never talking about tennis with the player, he is able to notice after eleven years how much she appreciated to come to Porte d'Auteuil. "Because of the surface, winning here is an ongoing challenge for her. As such, she does everything to have all her trumps on her side in order to come to the fore." All her trumps means, in addition to practice, to be free in her activities outside of the stadium, those which bring a few hardly foreseen visits to Paris to the program. You know, Steffi is a very simple person who wants to keep her private life, like the rest of the world. The only means to protect it in this sense is that the paparazzi do not know where she is residing during the tournament. Some would be trying to follow us on motorcycles. One tries to spot them and shake them off. And when we arrive, it's downright fun in the car!" His sudden expression is less delighted at the mention of the injuries that have marred the beginning of the German's season. Because Michel would like to see her play for another two or three years. Afterward, as he says, "we'll see..."

A future that others too want very distant. With his singsong Southwest accent, Patrick looks like an exile when he comes to stay in the capital, in order to breathe in the terre battue. The truth. The one that any tennis fan is duty bound to know. Since 1989, he is employed in the maintenance of the courts during the period of Roland-Garros. His commitment taking effect one week prior to the start of competition, he has the opportunity to follow all the players in practice. "The first time I have seen Steffi was on an adjoining court before the tournament. She said hello to me very politely, and it's a little like that how everything started."

This "everything" is something every die-hard fan must dream about. Because since this brief encounter, time has left its imprint. From a quiet hello, they have spontaneously come to exchange kisses. An additional step: "It seems that two or three times she has looked for me to find out if I was present here this year." One step more: "Every time before playing a match, she tells me if she is comfortable, if she feels fine."

When asked why, he said the Roland-Garros staff appreciate the German player so much, he does not hesitate to assert that "it is her kindness, the attention that she pays to all. Moreover, when she plays, things jostle a little bit in the underground passages. There are a lot of people to see her, there are only a few minutes. It is particularly the case among the cooks from the nearby restaurant, who would take their position to watch her play."

For eight years now, Patrick is therefore part of this stream of private spectators. An assiduousness of which he is proud: "As long as Steffi will come to Roland-Garros, I will be here. It is to see her that I am here each year." And then will occur the athletic retirement of Steffi. Only the keepsakes will remain then. The rackets, t-shirts, sweatshirts offered by the German, each season, after her final match. As ever whether it would be in victory or defeat, she would not fail to thank Patrick.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2451
country flag Stef-fan

A ritual to which Patricia yields with good grace, admitting that the idea of ceding "her" locker to another player wouldn't occur to her: "Every year, she takes the same one, and the combination is identical."

From what I have read, Steffi's locker has been kept empty all these years, the door to the locker was presented to her at her retirement ceremony in Madison Sqaure gardens in 1999 and no one has been assigned that locker todate. Just shows how much she is adored by the Roland Garros staff.

Thank you for sharing the article.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2452
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Her locker, number 19, doesn't exist anymore After they rebuilt the ground in Paris, there are a now two number 18 (18 and 18bis) then 20 and...

Forget to say, the article Ms. Anthropic posted is really one of (if not my) favorite, a portrait but by the others, staff workers, worth reading to know more about the real personnality.

Last edited by djul14 : Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM   #2453
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Thanks so much for the article. What a joy to read....
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2454

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Just shows how much she is adored by the Roland Garros staff.
Not just at Roland Garros. The people behind the scenes at a lot of tournaments were/are very fond of her. See post #2640 in volume one of SGAT from samn. (Anyone know whatever became of him? We used to have good fun on a.f.s-g.) Or the impression she made on Mattress Mac in just one visit to Houston. It's no secret the Wimbledon people, "upstairs" and "downstairs" alike, think the world of her. I recall one article (from a tabloid, so I take with a grain of salt, but it's still great to imagine it really happening ) where the security guards at the players' entrance told her to win for their gate. Even the people who handled the practice court scheduling at the US Open spoke very highly of her politeness and friendliness.
Old Dec 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2455
country flag Stef-fan

Djul: you are right about the locker.
Here is a blogger showing the 18b locker and how current players treat it as a 'shrine'. Not sure if I posted this before.
http://www.outandaboutinparis.com/20...s-home-of.html

Ms.Anthropic: Loving all your wonderful postings.
You are right about other events.
Read a post on Steffi's website from a ball girl during her time and how they miss her.
Also, in one of the YouTube postings from the 92 Wimbledon final, the ball girl (woman to be specific) has a huge smile on her face when Steffi wins a point by ridiculous atheleticism.
The security guard at US open (the one mentioned in Agassi's book) stating how she always gave him a huge hug whenever she met him.
Recently read on Indian Wells website, a fan recalling of how her little son was playing Legos and she was pre-occupied with tennis. He later told her about a nice lady stopping by and enquiring about his Legos. out. he recognizes the nice lady on one of the player posters and it was Steffi. He had a one on one interview with Steffi
Here is the link: (3rd story):
http://bnpparibasopenblog.com/2012/1...n-perspective/

Last edited by Stef-fan : Dec 1st, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2456
country flag djul14

Cute story (the 3rd) thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2457
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

This is the first time I am reading this article and it is absolutely wonderful. I love these intimate glimpses into who Steffi really is and how people have become her "fans" because of who she is and how she relates to the people around her.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2458
country flag djul14

I don't know if it will interest you, but here is the pdf (and original) version of the article posted and translated by Ms. Anthropic, it's in French, but you have the pics with
http://sd-g1.archive-host.com/membre...n_amour_de.pdf
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
This is the first time I am reading this article and it is absolutely wonderful. I love these intimate glimpses into who Steffi really is and how people have become her "fans" because of who she is and how she relates to the people around her.
The following impressions of Steffi Graf are excerpted from a letter from Robyn Macaraig, who saw the 20-year-old West German star from a revealing vantage point recently at the San Diego Tennis & Racquet Club:

"I was a ballperson at the Great American Bank Tennis Classic, and from watching her up close, when she practiced every morning on center court and when she competed, I know she is a very sweet girl ... She was very modest, and was uncomfortable when people continuously praised her. She was very nice to us ballkids, and very generous. When some of us would follow her into the locker room after a match, she would stop and sign autographs for us, even if one of us asked her to sign all the pictures of her in the program book. When we told her she only had to sign one if she preferred, she would shake her head, smile and say, 'No, I'll sign all of them.'

"... We never really thought about how young and innocent she was until we saw those black jelly bracelets dangling from her wrist. Why? Well, to us ballkids, that was a symbol of her youth and how much she was like the rest of us ... When we saw the real Steffi, personality and all, not just some picture on the television screen ... we knew she represented us: the young tennis players of the world who strive for success and who strive to make all our dreams come true. She taught us by her example that if we worked hard and really put our minds to it, we could do it ... She taught us that no matter what happens to us in our lives to never let success change us and go to our heads."

Although this one doesn't involve an act of generosity, it does give an idea of how she acknowledged the efforts the people behind the scenes put in. During the 1995 US Open there was a woman working for the USA Network who did a feature on all the training the ballkids go through, which involved her doing all the drills and taking the test. She did well enough, so they actually let her be a "ballkid" while miked during a Jensen brothers match. Afterward she returned to doing her usual brief interview segments. "The other day," she said, "I was talking to Steffi Graf, asked her one or two questions and was done. She started walking away, then turned around and smiled and said, `By the way, I thought you did great as a ball person.' "

Another favorite story of mine comes from a tennis journalist from the Washington Times who "met her back in 1984 when she was 15 years old. She was thin as a pretzel and shy as a lamb, but she could whack a tennis ball. A group of people who included Graf, her mother, a couple other German players and my then-girlfriend, spent three days sitting around a small, dank tennis club in Birmingham, England, waiting for the rain to stop. We played cards and ate crepes stuffed with chocolate... A few years ago, two of my friends were stranded outside the main gates of the U.S. Open. As I frantically searched for tickets, I bumped into Graf. Surrounded by a mob of autograph seekers, she noticed me and the look of panic on my face. She asked how it was going, and I told her not well, throwing in the reason as an afterthought. She whipped two tickets out of her tennis bag. 'I still owe you for a couple of those crepes, but I think now we're even,' Graf said, cracking a smile."

And of course, the nuns from Fraternite Notre Dame in NYC who run soup kitchens/food pantries and meals-on-wheels for the eldery and AIDS patients who can't get out; they came out to the US Open in 1993 to take part in the Arthur Ashe Foundation benefit on the Sunday before the tournament. Upon hearing that some of the nuns liked sports, the tennis community came through: "People or players have been giving us tickets," said Sister Mary Francesca. "Steffi Graf just gave us some the other day."
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #2460
country flag djul14

^^good read again, thanks