You've Come a Long Way Baby(70's tennis) - Page 49 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #721
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
Re: You've Come a Long Way Baby(70's tennis)

The thread finder is your friend:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=295765

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #722
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
The thread finder is your friend:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=295765
thanks! bookmarked!!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #723
tommystar

tommystar has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie View Post
Traditionally BBC 1 showed centre court matches and BBC 2 court 1 matches.
Any of you know till when was this the case?
tommystar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #724
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Article about Pauline Elliott-a Kiwi player of the 1970s.

LOL@ her comment about playing Evonne Goolagong!

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_...ww.marinij.com

Marin Snapshot: Pauline Hanson a motivating tennis pro

Dave Albee
Posted: 09/27/2008 11:03:20 PM PDT

Longtime tennis instructor and one-time world-ranked athlete Pauline Hanson volleys against a student at Rolling Hills Club in Novato. (IJ photo/Frankie Frost)

PAULINE HANSON has been a tennis instructor at Meridian's Rolling Hills Club in Novato since 1987 and she ought to know what she's talking about. Beginning at the age of 15, she was a national juniors champion in New Zealand who became a world-ranked player, competed in the Federation Cup and made the main draw at the U.S. Open in singles and doubles in 1977.

Three Achilles tendon surgeries ended her pro tennis career, so she turned to running and qualified for the 1984 Olympic marathon trials, though she couldn't compete in the U.S. trials because she wasn't an American citizen. This year, at the age of 52, she earned her U.S. citizenship and also was invited to be a member of the International Tennis Club of New Zealand. For the past 15 years, she has been married to Jack Hanson, former KGO reporter and host of Comcast Local Edition. They first met on Court 5 at the club where he interviewed her for a charity event. They have a son, Elliott, who is a freshman at San Marin High.

Q: How did you become the tennis instructor at Rolling Hills Club?

A: I was actually at a USTA convention in Carmel and the pro here was there and he was looking for a woman pro. He said, "Can you come out and look at the club?" and that was it. I never even looked anywhere else. I loved the place. I loved the people.

Q: What is the most unusual or funny thing that's happened while you've been giving tennis lessons?

A: We had this guy here and he'd walk around with this racing gown on
with "Mr. Wonderful' on it and he'd have his shorts on the outside of his pants. Looking back it actually was kind of fun. It was very weird but light-hearted. We thought it was strange and we wondered where we were working. It was more relaxed and loose.

Q: What impact do you think you've had on the people who have taken lessons from you?

A: My style is more about motivating. I like them to learn how to play the game. I want them to get the same enjoyment out of playing. It's not the good (players) excelling and doing something outstanding that excites me the most, but the players who say "I'm too old," or "I'm not coordinated" or "I could never play tennis well." You just sort of throw the gauntlet down. They're the ones I would love to have because I know I can teach them to play.

Q: What do people ask you if they know you played professional tennis?

A: "Who is the most famous person you played?" I say Evonne Goolegong. I played her twice and that was the year she won Wimbledon so she was at her best. Then they usually ask, "Did you beat her?" and I say, "Would I really be here if I did?"

Q: Why did you start running marathons?

A: Running a marathon always appealed to me. I liked the adversity part of it. I liked that challenge. When I was living in Southern California, I decided I was going to run my first marathon. I had never run that distance before and I ended up winning it. I was only about 45 seconds off the Olympic trials qualifying time and I literally didn't know what I was doing. When the gun went off, I started. When the finish line was there, I stopped. That kind of got me hooked."

Q: Why did it take so long for you to be invited into the International Tennis Club of New Zealand?

A: They sent me a letter and were actually quite apologetic. They said I should have been in years ago. Chris Lewis, who in '83 got to the finals of Wimbledon and played John McEnroe, he was the one who got me in. I was talking to him on the phone and somewhere along the line he said, "You're a member of the I.C. , aren't you? And I said, "No," and he said. "Why not? You should be." Somehow he got the ball rolling.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 13th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #725
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystar View Post
Any of you know till when was this the case?
You know I'd never actually thought about that till I saw this posting - I remember being at work and you could always set the video knowing that Centre would be BBC1 and Court 1 would be BBC 2. I guess it must have been some time in the 90's that this changed.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM   #726
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That's quite a collection Craig The day I get to Sydney I'll take you up on that offer!

I'm 100 with you on the negative effects of hard courts and racquets. They certainly knew how to construct a point in those days. All the new racquet technology just destroyed that IMO. Today's stars play athletic tennis, but the artistry and lack of net play makes it less beautiful.

The 70s will always be first in my heart because that's when I started the game-and Wade is my #1 fav. You're just a goldmine of info. Where shall I begin? Did you ever talk to Ted Tinling? If so, what was he like?

Rosewall. Is it true he never came over a backhand? I'd put him and Laver over Sampras any day. Imagine coming back like they did after all those years in the pros to win majors again!

Take care

Rollo
I once read an article by Arthur Ashe, in which he described his different backhand styles. He then said, "But Rosewall has only One backhand and it's Perfect. In a final, I think in Hilton Head, Ken it seems
accidentally hit a top spin volley. Newcombe, never having seen Ken hit such a shot, was comically amazed. Even after getting hit in the eye, Ken went on to win the match. Ken Rosewall is my all-time favorite tennis player, and IMO, much underrated by today's so called experts.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #727
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
I once read an article by Arthur Ashe, in which he described his different backhand styles. He then said, "But Rosewall has only One backhand and it's Perfect. In a final, I think in Hilton Head, Ken it seems
accidentally hit a top spin volley. Newcombe, never having seen Ken hit such a shot, was comically amazed. Even after getting hit in the eye, Ken went on to win the match. Ken Rosewall is my all-time favorite tennis player, and IMO, much underrated by today's so called experts.
I am with you on Rosewall all the way. Imagine what he could have achieved had he have been able to play those 11 years of Slams (that's 44 he missed) when he was one of the top 2 or 3 in the world during all of that time! Of course Laver and Gonzales and Kramer etc would have all won more too, but I think it was Rosewall who was most affected when you look at his career results. I think his combined Slams and Pro Slams is around 22! The most of anyone.

I am going to his new book signing this week! So I look forward to reading his new book

Back on womens tennis - I think Rosewall had a similar game to Goolagong in it's beauty and his movement. But he was far more consistent and determined in nature.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #728
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I am with you on Rosewall all the way. Imagine what he could have achieved had he have been able to play those 11 years of Slams (that's 44 he missed) when he was one of the top 2 or 3 in the world during all of that time! Of course Laver and Gonzales and Kramer etc would have all won more too, but I think it was Rosewall who was most affected when you look at his career results. I think his combined Slams and Pro Slams is around 22! The most of anyone.

I am going to his new book signing this week! So I look forward to reading his new book

Back on womens tennis - I think Rosewall had a similar game to Goolagong in it's beauty and his movement. But he was far more consistent and determined in nature.
Ken has written a new book? If so, I hope the sell it here in the USA. Ken, like Evonne and Federer, glided around the court. Because of anticipation and movement, Ken and Roger were almost always in the proper position to hit their shots with less effort which is why they were able to play so well for such a long time. Also, as you probably know, Ken was a natural lefty who was forced to learn to play right handed. Chances are, playing lefty, Ken would have had a better serve. Also, in that Ashe article, Arthur said that Ken was the greatest volleyer he ever played against. One thing I noticed about Ken, at Forest Hills, was that he was the only player I noticed who would slide on the grass at times.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #729
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Ken has written a new book? If so, I hope the sell it here in the USA. Ken, like Evonne and Federer, glided around the court. Because of anticipation and movement, Ken and Roger were almost always in the proper position to hit their shots with less effort which is why they were able to play so well for such a long time. Also, as you probably know, Ken was a natural lefty who was forced to learn to play right handed. Chances are, playing lefty, Ken would have had a better serve. Also, in that Ashe article, Arthur said that Ken was the greatest volleyer he ever played against. One thing I noticed about Ken, at Forest Hills, was that he was the only player I noticed who would slide on the grass at times.
Yes Ken certainly seemed to glide about the court regardless of the surface.

Here is a link which contains an audio of Ken being interviewed at the Book Signing today. It's a great interview and runs for about 10 minutes. Ken still has a great mind at 78.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #730
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Evert in 1976 at the US Open

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #731
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Martina in 1978.

on the left she is at the US Open-on the right winning her first Wimbledon with her "lucky dress".
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #732
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

King wins her last major in singles at Wimbledon in 1975. She immediately announced her retirement, but ended up making her first comeback in singles late in 1976.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #733
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Tracy Austin, 1978

Before shooting to fame in the 1980s, Tracy Austin strutted her stuff at the U.S. Open wearing a red and white gingham dress with a ruffled bib. Playful pigtails finished off her girly look.

The look may have convinced casual fans to root for the "girl", but Austin soon proved she was a killer on court-shooting up the rankings to challenge Evert and Navratilova in 1979. In 1980 she made it to #1 on the computer. Injuries curtailed her career, and she was basically off the tour after the 1983 French Open.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #734
tennisvideos

Loving these pics Rollo. Thanks for sharing.

I am off to the Judy Dalton tribute day in late November and there will be a few Aussie legends of the game playing in the round robin tournament including Lesley Turner. I am organising the footage for the day to be shown on the big screen over dinner as part of the celebrations. Should be fun. Anyway, that's about 6 weeks away.

In about 2 weeks I am attending the book launch in Sydney for Rod Laver and his new bio. Am sure a lot of the legends from Oz will be in attendance as well. Really looking forward to seeing the great Laver up close and personal again and hope I get to meet him face to face rather than just over the phone.

I will post anything of interest including some pics.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #735
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

How it must have been cruel to face Chris Evert in the 70's and 80's... I mean, I've seen so many brilliant players just being totally dominated by Chris: Turnbull, Morozova, Ruzici, nonetheless admirable players! Talented, beautiful, would have deserved to win a slam... (well, actually Ruzici did! )

I had never seen Sue Barker play. She won the French in 1976 while Evert was absent, ok. Still no trace of that French final from 1976 on YT but there's this stuff from the 1981 Fed Cup... and I just think Barker was a great player! Another one!

You may say she lacked a bit of consistency, but you know what... they were all lacking consistency in front of Chris Evert.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote