How many slams will Petra win in 2013? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

Zilch, nada, flame out in all four. 8 47.06%
Just one. 6 35.29%
Two. 3 17.65%
Three. 0 0%
Calendar Slam! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #16
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Cool Re: How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
As many as she won in 2012.
If she doesn't hire a good trainer, stays lazy regarding conditioning, and keeps the same know-nothing uninspiring coach, I think we can expect her to achieve: 0.

The only thing that can change this is if Serena gets sick or injured again, Maria's shoulder problem reappears, and Vika goes back to being a schizophrenic underachiever again.

I would say the odds are stacked against Petra.

Thus: 0

I hope Petra gets her crap together and proves me wrong. I would love for her to prove me wrong.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #17
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

Well, she's one of the top four contenders, so she has a shot. Problem could be that one of those four could continue where she left off in 2012 in which case the odds of the other three winning one go down. If we take Serena out of the equation I'd say that Petra has a 40-50% chance of winning one. If Serena is at her best Petra, Vika and Maria each have a 20% chance of adding one to their resumé. Perhaps Maria has the better chance because these days she is at her best on the surface where Serena is (comparitively speaking) the most vulnerable.

In other words, I have no idea beyond the fact that a lot will depend on Serena.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #18
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, she's one of the top four contenders, so she has a shot. Problem could be that one of those four could continue where she left off in 2012 in which case the odds of the other three winning one go down. If we take Serena out of the equation I'd say that Petra has a 40-50% chance of winning one. If Serena is at her best Petra, Vika and Maria each have a 20% chance of adding one to their resumé. Perhaps Maria has the better chance because these days she is at her best on the surface where Serena is (comparitively speaking) the most vulnerable.

In other words, I have no idea beyond the fact that a lot will depend on Serena.
Nice post and agreed. Serena is still a (big) notch higher than the rest of the field. We'll see, if she continues to dominate the big events. As early as in January she'll be very motivated to make up for her early loss to Makarova.

But I wouldn't complain if Petra or some other girl (maybe one of your faves?) surprised us and went all the way to the title.

And welcome to the subforum.

Last edited by Petronius : Nov 25th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #19
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
But I wouldn't complain if Petra or some other girl (maybe one of your faves?) surprised us and went all the way to the title.

And welcome to the subforum.
Thanks. Yeah, Sharapova is a contender. I'm not so sure about the others though, but you never know. That's why we're watching.

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #20
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, Sharapova is a contender. I'm not so sure about the others though, but you never know. That's why we're watching.
You must be really bored,but at least you haven't been an impolite visitor...not that we expected that.Personally,I think we should've just eliminated the '3' and '4' Slam options.If everything went absolutely ideally,then Petra could win the AO,RG and Wimby.RG might sound odd,but not really when you consider that we have an absence of dominant clay-court queens now.Petra has gone far enough there previously to believe in herself if she has the right draw,and Masha showed that even a former clay embarrassment can transform into a winner,so why not Petra?

Having said that,the 3-slam achievement would be a huge shocker and,besides,no one here has voted for that outcome...and it's unlikely that anyone WILL unless it's in jest

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
You must be really bored,but at least you haven't been an impolite visitor...not that we expected that.Personally,I think we should've just eliminated the '3' and '4' Slam options.If everything went absolutely ideally,then Petra could win the AO,RG and Wimby.RG might sound odd,but not really when you consider that we have an absence of dominant clay-court queens now.Petra has gone far enough there previously to believe in herself if she has the right draw,and Masha showed that even a former clay embarrassment can transform into a winner,so why not Petra?

Having said that,the 3-slam achievement would be a huge shocker and,besides,no one here has voted for that outcome...and it's unlikely that anyone WILL unless it's in jest
It's more a case of being bored with GM. On the player forums you can talk without having to deal with all the GM-isms and the nonsense that posters use to illustrate how funny they consider themselves to be.

Anyway - although it used to be her worst surface, I wouldn't call Sharapova a former claycourt embarrassment. She got to the QF three times and to the SF two times before winning it. But yes, I can see Kvitova winning it one day. She has the game to win anything if she gets on a roll. Having said that, I nevertheless consider it the slam that she's the least likely to win of the four.

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #22
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's more a case of being bored with GM. On the player forums you can talk without having to deal with all the GM-isms and the nonsense that posters use to illustrate how funny they consider themselves to be.
I have to agree.

I was trying to stay away from these peak-to-peak threads until I saw the Navratilova-Graf thread.

In the beginning, they were quite objective and claimed that it's a toss up or 50-50. But as the thread continued, they were more and more biased and they basically ended up claiming that Steffi wins on all surfaces and is much more mentally stronger

So I had to intervene and supply some hard data, like the 1991 US Open semi
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #23
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

You don't think Graf is better than Martina on all surfaces?

Martina say/believes that herself (and she's not just being polite).

Just cause you beat someone at a younger age (when your older) it doesn't necessarily make you better overall.

And Martina was a big fan of Graf from early in her career (when some of those wins--you like to tout took place).

Nonetheless (since you like to point it out), Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina. So she must have made up for it.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
You don't think Graf is better than Martina on all surfaces?

Martina say/believes that herself (and she's not just being polite).

Just cause you beat someone at a younger age (when your older) it doesn't necessarily make you better overall.

And Martina was a big fan of Graf from early in her career (when some of those wins--you like to tout took place).

Nonetheless (since you like to point it out), Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina. So she must have made up for it.
Whener someone calls Martina the GOAT she doesn't put up much of a fight though. But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth. But I don't think there's a clear cut answer to any of this. Although it can make for fascinating debates, it's perhaps best to accept that some things are just too close to call.

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #25
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Anyway - although it used to be her worst surface, I wouldn't call Sharapova a former claycourt embarrassment. She got to the QF three times and to the SF two times before winning it. But yes, I can see Kvitova winning it one day. She has the game to win anything if she gets on a roll. Having said that, I nevertheless consider it the slam that she's the least likely to win of the four.
Well,Petra just made a SF at RG...in a year when she wasn't playing all that well.I would say that the USO was still the bugaboo because Petra lacked confidence and felt compelled to play NH even though she'd won a USO Series Premier and advanced to a semi...so that tells me that there's still a psychological hangup with NA hardcourts

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #26
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whener someone calls Martina the GOAT she doesn't put up much of a fight though. But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth. But I don't think there's a clear cut answer to any of this. Although it can make for fascinating debates, it's perhaps best to accept that some things are just too close to call.
Yes, I've heard Martina say that herself on more than one occasion. And I agree, that may be closer to the truth (though Graf is still very close to Martina on faster surfaces than Martina is to Graf on slower surfaces). And the thing is, Martina marveled at Graf from early on. It wasn't a retrospective once she compiled more majors than her.

I'm just not sure some of us can definitively argue, that Martina was a better all around singles player than Graf.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #27
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina.
You definitely need a vacation

BTW, Thank God for Steffi that she at least tied their overall H2H to 9-9 by beating a 37-year-old granny Martina in the 1994 Tokyo final

Nevertheless, as I've said earlier, with Pavel Složil being Steffi's coach for almost six years, it's a win-win for every fan of the Czech tennis school.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #28
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
PS:

I think either Steffi, Martina, Chrissie and even Court to a lesser degree can all lay claim to GOAT. How many majors would Chrissie have if she didn't skip the French Open (while playing WTT tennis) a few times. And at one point, most of the majors (except the French) were on grass, as well. When you combine that with Chrissie's winning percentage, she was certainly good enough to be GOAT. Unfortunately, most people only remember the 2nd half of her/their career, when Martina was wiping the floor with her.

Last edited by Excelscior : Nov 26th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #29
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
You definitely need a vacation

BTW, Thank God for Steffi that she at least tied their overall H2H to 9-9 by beating a 37-year-old granny Martina in the 1994 Tokyo final

Nevertheless, as I've said earlier, with Pavel Složil being Steffi's coach for almost six years, it's a win-win for every fan of the Czech tennis school.
And there in lies the reason why you argue this subject (Martina vs Steffi) so passionate and incredulously at times: Cause Martina is Czech (well, at least originally).

PS: I said "reportedly" earlier cause I couldn't remember for sure. OK. They're tied. Big Whoop.

And you gotta remember, I love Martina as well.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #30
country flag Petronius

Quote:
But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth.
Great post.

One remark on that fastcourt prowess.

My simple theory:

IMO, one of the reasons is the climate and weather conditions. Unlike in Spain with mild climate which produces great clay courters, in Czechoslovakia/Czech Rep. there are long winters so players have to train indoors a lot and they become accustomed to these indoor (and usually faster) courts more than other players.

Martina has 9 Wimbledons and 8 YECs in singles (both all-time records).

Ivan Lendl holds the ATP indoor winning streak record: 66 consecutive carpet court match victories.

Jana Novotna has won both Wimbledon and YEC.

Martina Hingis, who trained mostly in Czechoslovakia and Switzerand (both countries have harsh winters) has also won both Wimbledon and YEC (twice).

And as you may know, until recently Petra was on approx. 30-match indoor winning streak and is already a Wimbledon and YEC champion.

But perhaps this is pure off-season speculation

Maybe you can provide some insight on Chris Evert's clay court excellence?