Here is a brief bio from the Hagley Library of William Dupont-Margaret's husband:
William du Pont, Jr. (1896-1965), son of William du Pont and Annie Rogers Zinn du Pont, grew up on the family estate in Montpelier, Virginia.
While in his youth he developed interests in hunting, horse racing and breeding, fox hounds, and tennis and later began his lifelong career as a banker at the Delaware Trust Corporation in Wilmington, Delaware. He eventually designated Bellevue Hall in Wilmington as his primary residence.
During his adult years he became a thoroughbred horse breeder, horse track designer, foxhound breeder, and tennis enthusiast and promoter. His horse racing tracks and estates such as Fair Hill in Cecil County, Maryland, Bellevue Hall in Wilmington, Delaware, and Delaware Park, William du Pont, Jr. has made a lasting impact on the Delmarva landscape and history
The Early Years
William du Pont, Jr. was born on February 11, 1896, in Losely Park, England, to William du Pont and Annie Rogers Zinn. He lived in England with his parents until the family moved back to the United States in 1902.
From childhood, William du Pont, Jr. and his sister Marion enjoyed riding horses and raising champion fox hounds. They both grew up at the family estate in Virginia which was United States President James Madison's famous Montpelier. The family also maintained their connections in Delaware by spending time at Bellevue Hall, the estate of William du Pont, Jr.'s grandfather Henry du Pont (1812-1889).
William du Pont, Jr. married Jean Liseter Austin on January 1, 1919. The couple lived near Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, at the Rosemont estate with their four children: Jean Ellen, Evelyn Rebecca Austin, Henry Eleuthere Irenee, and John Eleuthere. The couple eventually divorced in 1941, and du Pont moved his permanent residence to his Bellevue Hall estate near Wilmington, Delaware.
In 1948, du Pont married world tennis champion Margaret Osborne. The couple had one child, William du Pont, III, born in 1952. The couple divorced in the spring of 1964.
Professionally, William du Pont, Jr. worked as a banker at the Delaware Trust Corporation his entire adult life. He put much of his efforts into real estate development, thoroughbred horse racing and breeding, and horse race track design and construction. The results of his life's work can still be found throughout the Delaware Valley.
Delaware Trust Corporation
After receiving his formal education at St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire, and St. Luke's School in Wayne, Pennsylvania, William du Pont, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps and became a banker.
He first served on the Board of Directors and was elected Chairman of the Board in 1923. In 1928, du Pont became the President of the Delaware Trust Corporation in Wilmington, Delaware. At the time, he was the youngest bank president in Wilmington, and he served as President of the Trust for more than thirty years.
The historic Delaware Trust Building stands on the corners of East 9th Street and North Market Street in Wilmington, Delaware. Originally constructed in 1921, it is a fine example of the Classical Revival architectural style. From July 1928 to June 1930, William du Pont, Jr. expanded the office space with an addition. The property is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
William du Pont, Jr. supported various philanthropic activities throughout the Delaware Valley. During World War II, du Pont supported local Red Cross fund drives such as a 1942 Horse Show held as an event for war relief efforts. In addition to the war relief effort, du Pont was a benefactor of various local hospitals and youth organizations such as the Wilmington Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA).
Westover Hills was the first upscale suburban housing development in Wilmington, Delaware. William du Pont began the project in 1927, and, after his father's death in 1928, William du Pont, Jr. continued its development.
Specifications for the homes built in the 1920s included high-quality construction methods and modern amenities only wealthier suburban home owners could afford such as whole-house electrical wiring and large garages to accommodate the family automobiles
Bellevue Hall served as the main residency for William du Pont, Jr. and his family. The home was originally built in the 1850s in a Gothic architectural style. William du Pont, Sr. remodeled it in the early 20th century to resemble his estate home in Montpelier, Virginia.
When William du Pont, Jr. inherited the estate from his father, he continued to add buildings and facilities to the estate. Additions such as indoor tennis courts, swimming pools, horse and cattle barns, and a horse race track reflected his interests in animal husbandry and sports.
The estate became a part of the Delaware State Park system in 1976 and has since offered over 200 acres of public space for outdoor activities such as hiking, community gardening, tennis and equestrian sports.
William du Pont, Jr. helped bring thoroughbred horse racing to Delaware with the opening of Delaware Park on June 26, 1936. He partially designed and supervised the park's construction. In addition to Delaware Park, du Pont designed more than 25 steeplechase and flat racing tracks. Many of his tracks are located in the Middle Atlantic region, including the National Cup course at Fair Hill, Maryland.
Today, Delaware Park offers horse racing, casino gaming, and entertainment. The park continues to be a major contributor to the economic vibrancy of northern Delaware.
William du Pont, Jr. enjoyed traveling and vacationing. He spent many summers at the exclusive vacation spot of the rich and famous on Fisher's Island, New York. There, he stayed at the luxury Mansion House resort. One summer in the 1940s he rented a "cottage" near the water which included twelve bedrooms and rooms for servants.
Cruising was a popular pastime for wealthy Americans throughout the 20th century. William du Pont, Jr.'s papers at Hagley contain a variety of cruise brochures that he collected and presumably used for planning excursions. Ports-of-call included fantastic destinations such as South America, the Mediterranean, and even six-month-long world cruises.
Clothing and Dress
Custom clothing for horseback riding and hunting was a necessity for sporting in style. William du Pont, Jr. frequently ordered from mail-order catalogs like Abercrombie & Fitch Co., Brooks Brothers Clothing, and Meyer's Riding Apparel. He even selected fabric and designed custom buttons with an image of a fox for hunting activities at his Fair Hill farm in Cecil County, Maryland.
Entertaining guests was a major activity at William du Pont, Jr.'s Bellevue estate. At one elegant tea party in 1940, du Pont invited nearly 2,100 guests to his home. The party featured a 15-man orchestra lead by Meyer Davis, a valet parking service, and so much liquor that a liquor license was required for the day. To keep out the press and curious locals, du Pont hired two Pinkerton detectives to secure the area.
Tennis in the Community
While married to world champion tennis player Margaret Osborne, William du Pont, Jr. supported programs to promote tennis in the local community. In the 1940s he launched a challenge in the Wilmington area to match funds for building new community and school tennis courts. In the 1950s he helped the University of Delaware build several new tennis courts.
In addition to building courts, du Pont also worked with the Delaware Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA) to sponsor free tennis instruction classes open to the public. William du Pont, Jr. was an active member of the DLTA and served as a chairman for DLTA-sponsored tournaments.
DuPont Nylon Strings
After the invention of Nylon in the 1930s, the DuPont Company sought creative ways to use their useful new invention. One of these uses was in Nylon tennis strings. The first tennis strings were originally made from animal gut material. DuPont found that its Nylon strings lasted longer and were less expensive.
William du Pont, Jr. marketed the company's product to famous professional tennis players he knew. In 1945, du Pont, Jr. wrote to friend and world tennis champion Bill Tilden requesting that he give the new formulation of DuPont's Nylon strings a try and provide the company with his feedback.
His love for hunting led William du Pont, Jr. to become an enthusiastic horse rider and owner of thoroughbred horses. His horses stabled at Bellevue Hall, Delaware, and Walnut Hall Farm, Virginia, were trained by well-known trainers Preston E. Burch and Richard E. Handlen. Together with his sister Marion du Pont Somerville Scott, he operated the annual Montpelier Horse Show and Montpelier Hunt Race Meeting which included flat and steeplechase races.
One of William du Pont, Jr.'s best horses was a thoroughbred named Rosemont. In 1937, Rosemont beat the beloved Seabiscuit and his jockey Red Pollard in the Santa Anita Handicap in a photo finish. William du Pont, Jr. reportedly bought the famed thoroughbred stallion The Satrap in England for a then enormous sum of $100,000 and sold the stallion in 1932 for $4,600.
The childhood days William du Pont, Jr. spent at his father's estates provided him with plenty of opportunities to learn about, and love, not only horses but also hunting dogs. He established his first foxhound pack in 1912 at Montpelier, and in 1926 he moved it to the farm in Cecil County, Maryland, later known as Fair Hill estate.
The Foxcatcher Hounds pack, named after his farm near Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, was well recognized among foxhunting clubs of America. du Pont organized the Foxcatcher Hounds Hunting Club at his premises in Fair Hill, Maryland as a seasonal hunt for his family and friends.
William du Pont, Jr. was an active member of the American Foxhound Club, Masters of Foxhound Associations of America, and a number of local foxhunting clubs in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware.
Following in the tradition of his father, William du Pont, Jr. maintained fine dairy and beef cattle herds on his estates. William du Pont, Jr. was the owner of one of the premier herds of the American beef cattle breed, Santa Gertrudis.
The breed was originally developed in the 1920s. Du Pont, Jr. worked with American cattle breeder Robert J. Kleberg, Jr. of Kings Ranch in Kingsville, Texas, to bring specimens of the new breed to his estate. After William du Pont, Jr. died in 1965, Kings Ranch purchased the entire purebred herd.