Evert American ITF-G4 [Singles Champ - Maria Shishkina] - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #31
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Evert American ITF-G4 [Singles Champ - Maria Shishkina]

Djezonfly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #32
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Great tournament Maria, i think next year will be great for her
jj74 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #33
country flag Freakan

Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy form from Maria She might be a big threat at Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Freakan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #34
country flag jusluvinjrtennis

jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakan View Post
Crazy form from Maria She might be a big threat at Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl
Probably not, big difference in a G4 and Eddie Herr.
The line up at EH is strong.

Next year perhaps.

Not to take anything away from the accomplishment but she didn't really beat any big players here.
jusluvinjrtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #35
country flag Freakan

Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusluvinjrtennis View Post
Probably not, big difference in a G4 and Eddie Herr.
The line up at EH is strong.

Next year perhaps.

Not to take anything away from the accomplishment but she didn't really beat any big players here.
I'm not expecting her to win but this results against decent players like Nemchen (was in 10k SF a few weeks ago), Renaud or Smith are very impressive. Shishkina already defeated Ruckert and Tanaka in her first 10k and 2 Top 50 juniors within last weeks, so she'll definetely be a threat.

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #36
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Eddie Herr is a really strong tournament, she will be a favourite to won U14 or U16, but U18 is a bit too much. If the draw is favourable she can win a couple of matches.
Next year she will cause trouble for sure, but i think right now is a bit premature
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #37
country flag Freakan

It really all comes down to her draw. She's capable of beating seeded players (she already did beat 2 of them few weeks ago) but she can also draw Townsend in the 1st round...

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #38
country flag jj74

That's what happens in all this type of tournaments. Two years ago Sofia Kenin was semifinalist at Eddie Herr U12 (lost to Jokic), next week she was finalist in the american cup (very tight match against Bryzgalova). Bryzgalova make the final at the orange bowl but Kenin lost in first round against Payola (then whe won the consolation draw in my memory don't fail), with an easier draw she probably would made at least qtr.

Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl have incredible wide draws, in U18 at least the seeds are clear, but in other cathegories is different, there are players with very easy draws and first matches that can be semifinals or even the final.

I think Maria is in a similar position than Tornado (Tornado has a higher ranking but she played a lot more than Maria), and Tornado doesn't seem to be competitive yet against the top junior players, so i expect basically the same from Maria.
I think they can win a couple of rounds (even some more with an easy draw) but at Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl there are a lot of top players, so don't expect more of them right now.

Belinda Bencic is at a different level right now, but she didn't get deep in the draws of the GS yet (when she has wins against top level players) so i think we'll have to wait for a girl born in 1998 get to the final stages of a big tournament
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #39
country flag Freakan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
That's what happens in all this type of tournaments. Two years ago Sofia Kenin was semifinalist at Eddie Herr U12 (lost to Jokic), next week she was finalist in the american cup (very tight match against Bryzgalova). Bryzgalova make the final at the orange bowl but Kenin lost in first round against Payola (then whe won the consolation draw in my memory don't fail), with an easier draw she probably would made at least qtr.
I actually follow Kenin's career closely too and she's just sooo unlucky with her ITF draws She's still one of the top girls from 1998 (not close to Shishkina tough as the result from here shows) but she's never reached an ITF SF as she's drawn the eventual in early rounds in half of the tournaments she's played so far

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #40

jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light jusluvinjrtennis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I actually follow Kenin's career closely too and she's just sooo unlucky with her ITF draws She's still one of the top girls from 1998 (not close to Shishkina tough as the result from here shows) but she's never reached an ITF SF as she's drawn the eventual in early rounds in half of the tournaments she's played so far

Kenin is just so small. She's going to have to spend a couple of years in the ITFs before she makes a splash. Unfortunately, size plays a big factor. I'm not saying you have to be 6 feet by no means. But she's just 4'8". Thats way to short to compete against top players. Its a shame she didn't have a strong growth spurt. She's a great player just too short.

I saw her Dad on tennis channel and he's short too.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #41
country flag jj74

Well, to be completly fair, Payola is not exactly a tower either (and his father isn't tall either). Payola didn't play any itf tournament yet, but that's not rare for a spanish player (well she was in the acceptance list of one, but she withdrew, it was the following week to the european masters u14, and she withdrew there too, so i suppose she was injured).
Our best U12 (wich is one of the best europeans her age) is Paula Arias Manjón and she is very small too, they did some studies with her and they think she will reach 5'3.

It seems there's a good bunch of top juniors that are not tall. Obviously being tall is an advantage, but with 5'3 or 5'4 is enough to be competitive if you have good skills and you are a fighter.

Small players are used since very young to the disadvantages of their height, generally it takes more time to reach their goals, but they get used to fight so if they reach a good level they are usually tough mentally (of course there are exceptions like my beloved CSN)
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #42
country flag Freakan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusluvinjrtennis View Post
Kenin is just so small. She's going to have to spend a couple of years in the ITFs before she makes a splash. Unfortunately, size plays a big factor. I'm not saying you have to be 6 feet by no means. But she's just 4'8". Thats way to short to compete against top players. Its a shame she didn't have a strong growth spurt. She's a great player just too short.

I saw her Dad on tennis channel and he's short too.
Height is one issue and it definitely is a problem but having crappy draws is a big one too, especially because she usually gives the eventual winners more troubles than other players (obviously not the case the with Evert event). Shishkina is rather short too..

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Height is one issue and it definitely is a problem but having crappy draws is a big one too, especially because she usually gives the eventual winners more troubles than other players (obviously not the case the with Evert event). Shishkina is rather short too..

Yes you are 100% Correct!

The days of needing to be 6ft are gone. Smaller players are now giving the bigger players a hard time.
Sonya especially. I have always been amazed at her wins over bigger players.
And your right Shishkina is short too. Problem with Shishkina is going to be that she plays so
defensively. Works now.. but later? Sonya actually plays a more aggressive game than Shishkina.
I like the more aggressive play. I think it lends better to the pro level.