Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport? - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #136
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
The regular crowd loving who they wanna love is fine..but the love was INSTALLED by the media. Ever since '04..they were just waiting for their token 'white blue eyed blond'-player to come and stop the Williams.

Of course that never really happened, but it isn't til now that media have accepted that Serena IS and ALWAYS was the better player. Maria was media-darling from day uno...Serena and Venus had ALWAYS to fight to get a lil bit of respect and even then it has come only reluctantly.

For instance..the yec final was deemed: power vs grace. All I've to say.
You have a point about the media fueling the public's love for hot-looking players (although you can also argue that they're just giving people what they want), and there may even be an element of latent racism in that.

I don't like that any more than you do, but at the end of the day Chrissie-fan is right. There is no serious dispute as to who is the greatest player of this generation, and to suggest that Serena and Venus only get a "lil bit of respect" is frankly silly.

No offense, but Serena (and Venus) fans have just the hugest chip on their shoulder of any group of tennis fans. You're pretty fair-minded in general compared to some of the more fanatical of your peers, but even you can be pretty intolerant of people not showing your faves as much respect as you think they deserve. Not every compliment handed to another player carries an implicit slight towards Serena and Venus. Really.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #137
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but i don't agree, by when Maria appeared Serena and Venus didn't dominate the way they dominated in 2002-2003, they have a clear opposition in the belgians. The times of all Williams finals at the Slams were practically over. Both were top players, and both won more Slams but they didn't have the monopoly anymore

The loving of Maria in the media has nothing to do with race. They wanted a teenage queen, and Maria was the new Kournikova but winning big tittles, so the media explode with joy
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #138
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
You have a point about the media fueling the public's love for hot-looking players (although you can also argue that they're just giving people what they want), and there may even be an element of latent racism in that.

I don't like that any more than you do, but at the end of the day Chrissie-fan is right. There is no serious dispute as to who is the greatest player of this generation, and to suggest that Serena and Venus only get a "lil bit of respect" is frankly silly.

No offense, but Serena (and Venus) fans have just the hugest chip on their shoulder of any group of tennis fans. You're pretty fair-minded in general compared to some of the more fanatical of your peers, but even you can be pretty intolerant of people not showing your faves as much respect as you think they deserve. Not every compliment handed to another player carries an implicit slight towards Serena and Venus. Really.
Not there may be...there IS an element of racism in that. But it is what it is.

After 15 majors, surely it couldn't be a serious discussion..because that would make the hating way too obvious, no?! So the respect was earned the HARD way. Let me just say that Serena with four majors wasn't this gushed over as Masha's being right now.

The YEC final deemed as power vs grace...that isn't taking shots/ shading Serena?! Really?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #139
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Not there may be...there IS an element of racism in that. But it is what it is.

After 15 majors, surely it couldn't be a serious discussion..because that would make the hating way too obvious, no?! So the respect was earned the HARD way. Let me just say that Serena with four majors wasn't this gushed over as Masha's being right now.

The YEC final deemed as power vs grace...that isn't taking shots/ shading Serena?! Really?!
Tbh I think it's too ridiculous to count as serious shade. I'm not disagreeing with you about the fact that attention paid to players isn't proportional to their achievements. But as Chrissie fan pointed out, there is only one of the current generation who is regarded as a serious GOAT contender. Everybody seriously interested in tennis knows that, including Maria and 99.9% of her fans.

At the end of the day, I think Masha would happily give up all the gushing she currently receives if she thought there was a snowball's chance in hell that she could ever achieve anything close to what Serena has achieved.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #140
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Tbh I think it's too ridiculous to count as serious shade. I'm not disagreeing with you about the fact that attention paid to players isn't proportional to their achievements. But as Chrissie fan pointed out, there is only one of the current generation who is regarded as a serious GOAT contender. Everybody seriously interested in tennis knows that, including Maria and 99.9% of her fans.

At the end of the day, I think Masha would happily give up all the gushing she currently receives if she thought there was a snowball's chance in hell that she could ever achieve anything close to what Serena has achieved.
Look, I'm not complaining. I'm just keeping things real.
The only thing that is in Serena's hands is winning matches, majors...and that she's doing great, better than anybody since Graf/Navratilova et al..and the rest well, it's gonna be what it is.

If people gonna gush for a much much less acomplished player, just because she is white with blue eyes?! Then...

But we don't have to play dummy and silly, like that it ISN'T the case.

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #141
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

money (how many pick up soccer games can you have for the price of two decent tennis rackets and a new can of balls - I'm thinking about 8; that's 200+ kids playing soccer for the same price as two playing tennis)
traditional class snobbery (which began fading only with McEnroe/Connors era)
reverse working class snobbery (tennis is for girly men, prissy preppie boys, not real men; again which began fading with Connors)
actual racism (even in my lifetime, I've been told tennis is a "white sport")
rise of team sports (baseball, basketball, football & soccer all were more welcoming of minorities before tennis)
fade of tennis in popularity (when I was a kid, late 70s it seemed like everyone owned a tennis racket & everyone knew who the top American players were if not the top players in the world; definitely not the case now)

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #142
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriy View Post
Rubbish stats.

The position of cricket and field hockey is inflated by just one country: India (which all by itself constitutes more than 75% of all players & fanbases of both sports).

The real top 3 "most widespread" sports are without a shadow of a doubt
1 = soccer
2 & 3 = athletics and basketball
hahaha.....cricket is australia's national sport and has a massive following in the country including its prime minister.....needless to talk about its hugeness in england and wales, southern africa, carribbean islands and its ever increasing popularity in many parts of the world......indian subcontinent constitutes a major chunk of followers of course......

nobody gives a real damn about basketball outside united states except maybe china and one or two small nations......athletics are just olympic sports......athletics is also a very broad collection in general with several sub-sports and we know what they worth individually in comparison to sports like cricket......

football is the only sport which excels cricket in popularity and of course by a big margin......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #143
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I watch more athletics. Never seen a game of cricket in my life...

Frankly, I've even seen soccer games on tv here, never any cricket.

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #144

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Again, this sport requires brain cells and money. Middle easterners may be filthy rich but they are _________________ (fill in the blank)
i know what you mean but still if we can have players like qureshi and jaziri, imagine what would have happened had they taken initiatives and spread this sport......

they run behind doha because they are thrown with millions by those sheiks......they go to abu dhabi and qatar for the same reason......

running after nations whichever throw money......what "higher section" behavior is that and what "supremacy" are we talking about?

how about protecting its identity and building a bigger base to survive in all world conditions? they can learn a lot from FIFA......

i am blaming the system for throwing a "white" outlook to the sport and totally failing to bring a bigger global appeal to tennis......who's with me?

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
Well, I watch more athletics. Never seen a game of cricket in my life...

Frankly, I've even seen soccer games on tv here, never any cricket.
then i am sorry to say you have missed a lot of fun.....

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #146
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i know what you mean but still if we can have players like qureshi and jaziri, imagine what would have happened had they taken initiatives and spread this sport......

they run behind doha because they are thrown with millions by those sheiks......they go to abu dhabi and qatar for the same reason......

running after nations whichever throw money......what "higher section" behavior is that and what "supremacy" are we talking about?

how about protecting its identity and building a bigger base to survive in all world conditions? they can learn a lot from FIFA......

i am blaming the system for throwing a "white" outlook to the sport and totally failing to bring a bigger global appeal to tennis......who's with me?
Well, it's harder for an individual sport to gain popularity and to hold on to it once it's there than for a team sport because every country, every city and in some cases even every village has a home team. For an individual sport like tennis it's popularity depends to a large degree on whether there are any great home players around. In Belgium tennis was very popular when Clijsters and Henin were playing. But many of them weren't real tennis fans - they were Clijsters and Henin fans. As soon as they were gone, so was the audience (or most of them anyway). Now they go nuts over Colsaerts, the golfer. Since he was selected for the Ryder cup a few months ago I've seen more articles about golf than in the previous twenty years combined. And I think the situation is more or less the same in most countries. As individual sports go however I think that tennis has a substantial and loyal fanbase.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #147
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. Virtually everyone considers Serena an all time great, and a tier one all time great at that, on par with Court, Evert, Navratilova, Graf and the rest of them. Sharapova gets a lot of praise as well (and what's wrong with that?), but I never heard a commentator say that she's as great, let alone greater than Serena. Maria may be as POPULAR as Serena, but she would also be this popular if there was no Serena or if Serena was white. You can't stop (or blame) people for loving who they love. Kournikova was also the most popular player when she was around, even though she didn't achieve nearly as much as Hingis, Davenport and some of her other very white contemporaries (or Sharapova for that matter).
Mary Carillo said Maria was still the better player when

announcing a match that Serena won
rjd1111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #148
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
then i am sorry to say you have missed a lot of fun.....
Maybe.

GO all Canuck players GO
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #149
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1111 View Post

It's those lil things that just makes you...

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #150
country flag hablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1111 View Post

What an odd thing to say.

GO all Canuck players GO