Lesley Turner - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #61
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lesley Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
I had read that Ken still plays tennis. So glad to hear that after his near stroke last year. How are his shots? He is still my all-time favorite male player. He will be 78 this November. God bless him!
Oh Rosewall is my all time favourite male player as well. He still hits glorious shots but of course doesn't have the bite they had back in the day. But it's still effortless and razor like esp the backhand which is beautifully produced.

Playing against him late last year on the clay at Kooyong was probably one of the greatest thrills of my life.

I would love to have a mixed against Lesley. I have only ever played against Frankie Durr and Gail Chanfreau on the womens side so that would be a real buzz for me as I love Lesley's baseline game. She was playing competition against the top women in Sydney up until a few years ago so I imagine she is still playing a nice game.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #62
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Well tomorrow is a big day for me. I have been lucky to be attending the Lesley Turner tribute which is being held along with a Tennis Legends day with players like Ken Rosewall, Judy Tegart, Lesley and others competing. I am providing the footage for the day - I put together a selection of 4 of her matches plus a great intro which highlights some of her main career wins and some footage of her practising while Harry Hopman talks about her strokes.

As a thank you they have given me a free day (the cost is normally close to $400!!) plus I get to play the first match on the same court as Lesley - not sure if I will be with her or an opponent, but either way it is an honour and a thrill!

I will try and get some pics and share any details.

The beautiful thing for me is that we are going to surprise Lesley with the footage. But we did tell her daughter Michelle Bowrey who apparently cried when she found out we had video footage of her mum in her prime. And Lesley has never seen footage from her past either! So it should be a wonderful day when Lesley gets to see all this plus she hears what the guest speakers have to say about her great career. Anyway, best get to bed so I wake up ready and refreshed for the big day.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #63
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Well tomorrow is a big day for me. I have been lucky to be attending the Lesley Turner tribute which is being held along with a Tennis Legends day with players like Ken Rosewall, Judy Tegart, Lesley and others competing. I am providing the footage for the day - I put together a selection of 4 of her matches plus a great intro which highlights some of her main career wins and some footage of her practising while Harry Hopman talks about her strokes.

As a thank you they have given me a free day (the cost is normally close to $400!!) plus I get to play the first match on the same court as Lesley - not sure if I will be with her or an opponent, but either way it is an honour and a thrill!

I will try and get some pics and share any details.

The beautiful thing for me is that we are going to surprise Lesley with the footage. But we did tell her daughter Michelle Bowrey who apparently cried when she found out we had video footage of her mum in her prime. And Lesley has never seen footage from her past either! So it should be a wonderful day when Lesley gets to see all this plus she hears what the guest speakers have to say about her great career. Anyway, best get to bed so I wake up ready and refreshed for the big day.
Woo-Hoo! Congratulations! I know you'll do fine, and you certainly have the footage to sift through, and you get to play on the same court, if not with her! Remember, if you're nervous, just wear a pleated skirt with no underwear. Guaranteed to loosen both you and the crowd up a bit, especially if it's windy. You'll rock this, and please have someone take pics so we can see you in action- and above all, GOOD LUCK FRIEND!
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #64
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy TV!
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #65
tennisvideos

Thanks Rollo and Alfa and about the skirt with no knickers!

Well what a magic day. I can't believe how lucky I was ... I got to play with Lesley Turner twice, against her twice, and once with and against Wally Masur and also Kerryn Pratt. The tennis was awesome and the highlight was probably the set where I teamed up with Kerryn Pratt against Lesley and her daughter Michelle Bowrey (a beautiful player as well). Talk about strong tennis!

Lesley still hits the ball incredibly well - she is so accurate still and hardly ever misses a shot and is very mobile. Just as you would imagine her to be. And to think she is close to 70 it is astonishing! So getting to rally against her was as big a thrill for me as it was playing against Rosewall a few years back. And it was Rosewall's idea to have the tribute day for Lesley which shows what a great man he is. He thought Lesley hadn't received the recognition she deserved historically here in Australia and I have to agree!

The other big highlight was watching Kerryn interview Lesley during the luncheon for around 25 minutes. It was a great interview and Lesley shared lots of her insights into her early years on tour and her wins in the French and Italian titles. She thought she was able to compete with the great Margaret Court on clay (and we knew she could) but she said that they all struggles on the other surfaces against Margaret and all lived in her shadow. Nothing new there. But she said that going into the 65 French Championships was the first time she believed she would be able to win and beat Margaret - and she did. She also remarked that her career was virtually over after marrying Bill Bowrey, esp as she started to have kids in the late 60s. But we know she was still a tough player as late as 1978 as she mentioned what a thrill it was for her to be invited back to Roland Garros to play singles (she made Rd3) and doubles where she made the final with Gail Chanfreau! Astonishing after being retired for so many years.

I put 4 of her matches onto DVD and gave them as a gift to Lesley and she was thrilled which was great. We also had them playing in the background on bit screen TVs during the luncheon.

We all got to play 6 sets each and I was lucky to finish runner up in the mens section of the event from the 20 guys and one of my good friends won it. So I won a tennis racket, bottle of French Champagne and a tennis towel.

Perhaps the greatest thing about the day was just feeling all the love and respect in the house for the great Lesley Turner and knowing how much the tribute day meant to her. She was most humble and appreciative. I love these tribute days ... seeing people really recognised for their contributions to our great game. Lesley still plays and coaches 6 days a week and she said she just loves tennis so much which was great to hear. Oh and Judy Dalton gave a speech and was hilarious! Still joking around all the time, just as you imagine. There was a video message from Margaret Court and other messages read out on behalf of Billie-Jean King and a few other players of the day.

I took some little clips of Lesley being interviewed and will try and upload them in the coming days. I will post a few pics a short video clip of me playing with Kerryn Pratt against Lesley and her daughter Michelle Bowrey who is a great player in her own right. I think she played the tour or was highly ranked in Australia for some years.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #66
tennisvideos

Not sure if this video will work but will give it a go. Lesley Turner is serving to me. Lesley is playing with her daughter Michelle Bowrey and I am playing with former professional and now commentator Kerryn Pratt.

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #67
tennisvideos

The outlook wasn't looking good at 9am with the tennis due to start then. Here is a pic of Lesley Turner, Judy Dalton and Ken Rosewall as we waited for the rain to clear before we could start play. We did start in the rain but after 30 minutes the weather cleared and we got through the rest of the day with no more rain.

With the legendary Ken Rosewall:

Kerryn Pratt interviews Lesley Turner and Judy Dalton (who was hilarious) at the luncheon:

With Lesley Turner after one of our sets:
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #68
tennisvideos

Oh and we are going to a book launch and signing for the great Ken Rosewall in 2 weeks time which will be exciting as well. I can't wait to ready his autobiography which is long overdue!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #69
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh and we are going to a book launch and signing for the great Ken Rosewall in 2 weeks time which will be exciting as well. I can't wait to ready his autobiography which is long overdue!
What great pics! And, a video so we can see what a pusher you really are ! No really, it looks like great fun. It's just frustrating for me to watch, because I know in my prime, I could've beaten you, or you could've made me beat myself. Good test of mental strength and controlled aggression. Glad to hear you're doing a book for Mr. Rosewall. I had the pleasure back in the 90s to drive him around when he was here for a legends event- doesn't talk much, but was very nice. I think there are several Aussie women who were so overshadowed by Madge and Evonne that deserve more than a passing mention. Thanks again for the wonderful pics!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #70
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Very nice photos and report. It looks as if the matches were played on grass, is that right?

And I was wondering which matches of Lesley Turner you had.

Mark
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #71
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley looks just as classy as I imagined Craig-what a treat for you and us vicariously!

And LOL at Judy, who always did have a funny story to tell. Recently I was reading one from 1963 letter writen to World Tennis. Judy was playing Maria Bueno in the semis of the Pacific Coast event. Several bad calls went against both players. Judy replayed some in her favor but found Maria did not return the favor!

Buenio was also footfaulting outrageously. When Tegart asked about it the lineswoman admitted Maria was footfaulted. Asked why she didn't call it her answer was, "Oh, I couldn't do that. It might upset her concentration."

Tegart added, "NOW I think that was pretty funny, but I didn't feel that way at the time!"

P.S. Bueno was called for footfaults in the final vs Hard-and both women threw points so badly they were booed by the crowd.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #72
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
What great pics! And, a video so we can see what a pusher you really are ! No really, it looks like great fun. It's just frustrating for me to watch, because I know in my prime, I could've beaten you, or you could've made me beat myself. Good test of mental strength and controlled aggression. Glad to hear you're doing a book for Mr. Rosewall. I had the pleasure back in the 90s to drive him around when he was here for a legends event- doesn't talk much, but was very nice. I think there are several Aussie women who were so overshadowed by Madge and Evonne that deserve more than a passing mention. Thanks again for the wonderful pics!
Alfa ... well as 52yo with two inflamed fingers on my playing hand I definately am more of a pusher these days. It hurts my hand to hit hard these days. I normally drive a double hander backhand ala Evert but only use the Durr single hander for pokes and lobs. Plus I didn't want to hit too hard playing against a 70yo woman

No I am not doing a book for Ken, but I am going to his book launch and to celebrate his 78th Birthday which should be great. Here is a link which includes a great video tribute to him:
http://www.bby.com.au/bby-news/ken-r...4vF0c.facebook

Last edited by tennisvideos : Nov 18th, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #73
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Lesley looks just as classy as I imagined Craig-what a treat for you and us vicariously!

And LOL at Judy, who always did have a funny story to tell. Recently I was reading one from 1963 letter writen to World Tennis. Judy was playing Maria Bueno in the semis of the Pacific Coast event. Several bad calls went against both players. Judy replayed some in her favor but found Maria did not return the favor!

Buenio was also footfaulting outrageously. When Tegart asked about it the lineswoman admitted Maria was footfaulted. Asked why she didn't call it her answer was, "Oh, I couldn't do that. It might upset her concentration."

Tegart added, "NOW I think that was pretty funny, but I didn't feel that way at the time!"

P.S. Bueno was called for footfaults in the final vs Hard-and both women threw points so badly they were booed by the crowd.
Yes Rollo, Lesley was very classy. She is a reserved woman and very humble. The interesting thing about Margaret Court's video message was that she said that had Lesley played for any other nation in the 60s she would have been a national heroine - and that is pretty true. As it was, she hardly got any recognition because she lived in the shadow of Margaret. So it really was a special day for her to receive this long overdue tribute.

Judy was watching the matches from the side of the court and giving us a funny running commentary. She really is the character we have all read about. Such a larrikin in the old Aussie tradition. She just says it like it is, so I can totally understand her giving Maria some of those points - funny it was never returned!

Another thing I loved about this day (and the same as when we attended the Chris O'Neil and Mark Edmonson tribute) was how the older players all rallied and supported each other. Just beautiful. There was so much love in the room and that is the thing that you remember and enjoy about these days so much.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #74
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Very nice photos and report. It looks as if the matches were played on grass, is that right?

And I was wondering which matches of Lesley Turner you had.

Mark
Hi Mark. Thanks for that. The matches were on synthetic grass which is pretty much the standard surface in Oz these days.

Send me a PM and l will let you know about the footage. I can't really mention online as the source asked me to keep it from public display etc and I have to honour that request. Cheers
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #75
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
The interesting thing about Margaret Court's video message was that she said that had Lesley played for any other nation in the 60s she would have been a national heroine - and that is pretty true. As it was, she hardly got any recognition because she lived in the shadow of Margaret. So it really was a special day for her to receive this long overdue tribute.
So true TV. And without Marg (at least until Evonne) Lesley would have been Australia's greatest female tennis-player of all time.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote