Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Forehand or backhand?

Forehand 50 68.49%
Backhand 23 31.51%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute
Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

For comparison sake, assume all players are right handed.

Case for the backhand: Defending the backhand corner is harder than the forehand corner, and female players are less athletic than men in general, making defending even harder. Having a lethal crosscourt backhand gives a high percentage attacking shot which gives good dividends for a weak reply from the opponent.

Case for the forehand: Natural selection above selects for good backhands but rubbish forehands. Having a huge forehand gives one an easy time attacking the forehand wing of the opponent. And in general, forehand has a higher power potential, if done right should be hit harder than the backhand.

Choose

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
country flag Matze

Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of Matze has much to be proud of
Re: Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

Tough ask... For me hitting winners of both wings feels awesome... But a great backhand down the line tops a nice forehand winner imo... So if I had to give one concret answer, I would say a backhand a la Venus Williams!!!
Matze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

FH for sure.
ElusiveChanteuse is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #4
country flag HaplessPossum

HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all HaplessPossum is a name known to all

Tough question but I'd go with a backhand like the one that Venus has got. Able to hit winners from pretty much anywhere with that shot; down the line, cross court and even inside out.
HaplessPossum is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Forehand for sure.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
country flag moodin0931

moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say backhand because it is unique and harder to pick on.

But I like my forehand so much better
moodin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
country flag Tag

Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice

forehand, easily

forehands win slams

backhands don't
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #8
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Forehand - offensive shot (ie much easier to attack short balls with)
Backhand - defensive shot (ie better for counter attacking / neutralizing a point)

At the highest level, if two players are playing at their peak, attack always wins. So forehand.

Although women are far better at backhands, so that's why you see the top women have powerful backhands which they can attack with, but still a forehand is better if they had it.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
country flag Tag

Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice Tag is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaplessPossum View Post
Tough question but I'd go with a backhand like the one that Venus has got. Able to hit winners from pretty much anywhere with that shot; down the line, cross court and even inside out.
graf

/end
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #10
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Forehand obviously. The most lethal groundstroke in a rally situation is the run around forehand in the ad court from which one can go inside-out or inside-in because of the possibilities in placement and disguise and power potential. The best players ever (Graf and Federer), and players with strong forehands in general, rely on this pattern a lot. This also solves the problem of defending the backhand. (Although both players were also susceptible to a perfect BTL - and it had to be perfect since it was going to their stronger forehand side - from the opponent, which is a difficult shot to execute that well even for players who excel in it.)

Even Ivanovic got a slam with this play.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Nov 18th, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #11
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Forehand for sure. But, within the last few years it seems like having a solid forehand yet great backhand is the prototype for most players nowadays. Azarenka, Kim, Li, Maria, Henin, Venus, all have stronger backhands than forehands.

I feel like you can get away with a local forehand these days, but if you don't have the movement and footwork of Graf, the backhand side can really get picked apart if you can't run around it effectively enough.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #12
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Forehand DTL is just . Definitely FH, because of two things:

1. It's one of the most iconic shots in the game.
2. You can run around it easier than you can run around a backhand.
petra
•••••
maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #13
country flag Mynarco
Zoooooooooom

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Forehand.

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #14
country flag wildemu

wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute

I would do anything to have a great one handed backhand. Have been brought up on the 2 hander and it is boring as hell.
wildemu is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #15
country flag Maddox
No Acid in this house

Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute Maddox has a reputation beyond repute

It is generally easier to hit winners off the forehand side for most players so I would chose forehand.
But a backhand that also can hit winners anywhere would be awesome as well.
Venus's backhand is a great example of this