Peak Venus VS Peak Maria - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Venus or Maria?

Venus Williams 150 82.42%
Maria Sharapova 32 17.58%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #76
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Venus VS Peak Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoboy. View Post
Think about what you just said sis.
So Venus is better than Maria because she has more Slams, yet Slam counts go out the window when it comes to comparing Maria to Davenport

Willytards' logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
What? Perhaps there's a typo or missing word.

Nope. As I always say when these discussions come up, if defensive abilities were just about who could sprint the fastest then James Blake would be regarded as one of the best defensive players in the history of the ATP - when in reality, despite how quick Blake was at sprinting from A to B, you were virtually guaranteed to win the point if you got him on the defensive - just like Venus (albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

Venus simply never had any clue how to play smart defence -- she'd go for winners even when stretched out wide, which resulted in a spectacular winner approximately 1 in every 10 attempts, but the other 9 times she'd either miss or she'd counter-intuitively be punished by hitting such a fast-paced shot, because it wouldn't give her enough time to get back into the middle of the baseline and her opponent would be able to hit to the other side before Venus could get there.

Maria on clay this year, even though her raw footspeed was a shadow of Peak Venus's footspeed, played just as efficient/effective defence as Venus has at any point in her career, because she actually anticipated her opponent's plays better and played much smarter defensive shots (mid-paced shots to a good length which gave her enough time to get back to the middle of the baseline and didn't give her opponent an easy putaway) than Venus has at any point in her career. I'd estimate Claypova this year won a similar percentage of rallies from when she was in defensive positions as Venus did (i.e. a small percentage). Again, it's no surprise that some of Venus's best matches have come when she's had knee injuries - because she has always lived and died by the strength of her serve and ballstriking, and her movement has always been irrelevant because it's never won her her matches at any point in her career.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #77
country flag ExXotikal

ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute ExXotikal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoboy. View Post
Think about what you just said sis.
How outrageous is it to say Maria is a better version of Davenport when she leads the H2H, has more GS, a career GS, and beat the players Davenport couldn't beat/was winning GS during the same span time when both were at their peak? You all kill me. Davenport has only 3 GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
It's too bad you didn't post in the peak Serena vs peak Maria thread...it'd been interesting to read your thoughts about THAT match-up.
He was true though, Naps had great footspeed 3 slaves trades ago but always defended like a dummy: no use of the slice, predictable patterns. This is why Serena always was a much better defender than that flop.
ExXotikal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #78
country flag Michael!
indescribable

Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute

Those who voted for Peak Maria should tell me what she can do better than Peak Venus!
Michael! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #79
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
So Venus is better than Maria because she has more Slams, yet Slam counts go out the window when it comes to comparing Maria to Davenport

Willytards' logic

Nope. As I always say when these discussions come up, if defensive abilities were just about who could sprint the fastest then James Blake would be regarded as one of the best defensive players in the history of the ATP - when in reality, despite how quick Blake was at sprinting from A to B, you were virtually guaranteed to win the point if you got him on the defensive - just like Venus (albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

Venus simply never had any clue how to play smart defence -- she'd go for winners even when stretched out wide, which resulted in a spectacular winner approximately 1 in every 10 attempts, but the other 9 times she'd either miss or she'd counter-intuitively be punished by hitting such a fast-paced shot, because it wouldn't give her enough time to get back into the middle of the baseline and her opponent would be able to hit to the other side before Venus could get there.

Maria on clay this year, even though her raw footspeed was a shadow of Peak Venus's footspeed, played just as efficient/effective defence as Venus has at any point in her career, because she actually anticipated her opponent's plays better and played much smarter defensive shots (mid-paced shots to a good length which gave her enough time to get back to the middle of the baseline and didn't give her opponent an easy putaway) than Venus has at any point in her career. I'd estimate Claypova this year won a similar percentage of rallies from when she was in defensive positions as Venus did (i.e. a small percentage). Again, it's no surprise that some of Venus's best matches have come when she's had knee injuries - because she has always lived and died by the strength of her serve and ballstriking, and her movement has always been irrelevant because it's never won her her matches at any point in her career.
Hilarious.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #80
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post
"Almost anyone" in this instance not including the top two ranked players, right? Or are you arguing that either Azarenka or Sharapova moves better?

Azarenka yes, Sharapova no.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #81
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Venus's game isnt really about defense. She is one of the most explosive offensive players in history. At her peak she hit the hardest serves, hardest return of serves, some of the hardest ever groundstrokes off both sides, explosive volleys and overheads. She didnt need to defend much. Still it is not like the slow Maria is a better defensive player, that is for sure. Even if you understand how to play defense you still need a certain amount of speed to pull it off.
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #82
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
I think that 05 Wimbledon match was as good as they're ever going to play each other. It was a great match, and both had their chances. Venus took them and won in two incredibly close and not so close sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
And Venus still had her syndrome then. It just was not as far advanced and she didn't know what it was.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #83
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well a person can be aruged better than one with only 1 more slam. A person cant really be argued better than one with 3 more slams and almost double what you have. It is just like nobody could argue Clijsters as being better than Henin either, or Sanchez as being better than Goolagong. Slams are most important but there are other considerations but if someone totally owns you in slam wins the discussion is over.

That said this is a peak thread, not a thread about overall greatness, so I guess anything goes. If one can argue peak Pierce is better than peak Graf and peak Serena, than one can argue anything in a peak thread I guess, even peak Tanasugarn being better than peak Navratilova if they wish.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #84
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael! View Post
Those who voted for Peak Maria should tell me what she can do better than Peak Venus!
Maria's forehand better in every way, her backhand while not as deadly on the first strike is much more consistent both in terms of lack of errors and length on her shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutiana View Post
Hilarious.
Are you going to claim Venus is a tactically smart player again? I've been waiting for one of her delusional stans to claim it ever since this thread appeared
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #85
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Willytards' logic

Stop the conjecture. You know nothing about tennis.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #86
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Azarenka yes, Sharapova no.
Are you actually deluding yourself that Vika moves better than Serena? It's not even close, Serena would run circles around Vika.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #87
country flag forehand27

Off the top of my head I cant think of anything Azarenka does better than even current Serena, but then again she was a point from taking record # of aces Serena to a 3rd set at Wimbledon, and nearly beat her at the U.S Open, so there must be something she has the edge in.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #88
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Are you actually deluding yourself that Vika moves better than Serena? It's not even close, Serena would run circles around Vika.

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #89
country flag TheDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
You should be using that on yourself troll, to even intimate that Azarenka moves better than Serena.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #90
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you going to claim Venus is a tactically smart player again? I've been waiting for one of her delusional stans to claim it ever since this thread appeared
And Maria's some tactical genius?! If she was, she'd have figure out how to beat Vika more often than not (even on HC) by now.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote