Peak Venus VS Peak Maria - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Venus or Maria?

Venus Williams 150 82.42%
Maria Sharapova 32 17.58%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #16
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Venus VS Peak Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.will2 View Post
Exactly Venus would run down everything on whatever surface and frustrate Maria. The funny part is though Venus would rarely be on the defensive in this matchup. Playing her best she has too many options. She can finish points from the baseline or at the net. Maria has no Plan B or backup game, if she can't hit you off the court she's not going to win. Let Sharapova attempt to come in to net against Venus and see how often she gets passed.

if she is so good on all surfaces, why it happened so that she's never won RG and AO? and won less Tier 1 than Sharapova in shorter career?

the only one explanation is that she is not that good outside fast surfaces

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

This is similar to the Kim vs Venus analogy, although Maria with a totally different gamestyle and problems she presents than Kim. Non peak Venus is in very tough vs Maria on any non grass surface. However peak Venus, the Venus of 2000-early 2003 would regularly beat even peak Maria on any surface other than maybe clay. The matches on hard courts might be close but Venus would be the winner.
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
grass Venus vs Masha = 50/50
Please tell me this is a very late April fools joke.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #19
country flag i.will2

i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice

Quote:
if she is so good on all surfaces, why it happened so that she's never won RG and AO? and won less Tier 1 than Sharapova in shorter career?

the only one explanation is that she is not that good outside fast surfaces
There are many reasons she hasn't won RG or the AO but the main reason is her sister. Her level of play though, her Peak, which is what we are comparing to Sharapova's peak isn't even a question. Venus in 2000-2001 and from 2002-2003 would beat Sharapova from any year.

I could ask you why Maria has never defended any major title she won or why she only has 4 slams and Venus has 7 but that wouldn't be relevant to who would win if they met and were playing their absolute best.
i.will2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #20
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Please tell me this is a very late April fools joke.
so Peak Venus who couldn't beat OMG Barbara Schett at RG would have beaten peak Sharapova?

People here are so delusional to decrease surface advantage significance

even at her Peak Venus was struggling on Rebound Ace vs the likes of Amanda Coetzer and Silvija Talaja

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Nov 16th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #21
country flag forehand27

The tennis Venus played at the 2003 Australian Open would have won any other Australian Open in the decade after that year probably. Sadly for her peakRena was playing at the same time, and even though Serena wasnt playing her best that event and Venus should have beaten her there, Serena owned Venus mentally almost as badly as she owns Maria mentally today at that point. Peak Venus didnt emerge much on Australian hard courts, the only times were the 2003 Australian Open and 2000 Olympics, but either would be very hard and nearly impossible for anyone not named Serena to beat.

As for all other hard courts the tennis Venus has played to win her U.S Open and Miami titles, and to dominate the pre U.S Open hard court summers of 99-2002, especialy 2000 and 2001, speaks for itself, and is superior to anything Maria could manage. Venus's U.S Open record is vastly superior to Maria's in every sense, so is her Miami record, and Maria never dominated the summer hard court seasons like Venus did a few years, so there should be no discussion between the two on any type of hard court outside the slower bouncy Australian hard courts, unless one believes Maria is an especialy bad matchup for Venus.

Lastly clay. I could see Maria being given that one, but Venus never produced her peak clay tennis at Roland Garros unfortunately. Watch Venus of Rome 1999, Hamburg 1999, Charleston 2004, Charleston 2004, and say Maria would win easily, I doubt it.

Still trying to figure out if the poster I quoted saying grass is 50/50 between peak Maria and peak Venus though, as that is especialy rich.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #22
country flag forehand27

Quote:
so Peak Venus who couldn't beat OMG Barbara Schett at RG would have beaten peak Sharapova?
Your comment was on GRASS, not clay. Maria was much closer to her peak than Venus in 2005 and 2007 and still got spanked off the court by Venus at Wimbledon. 2005 is the 2nd best Wimbledon Maria ever played, actually apart from the 04 final the best Wimbledon she ever played, and Venus completely outclassed her. You said on grass it was 50/50 between the two peak to peak, and if you seriously believe that you either have never watched tennis or are a deluded Maria stan.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #23
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Your comment was on GRASS, not clay. Maria was much closer to her peak than Venus in 2005 and 2007 and still got spanked off the court by Venus at Wimbledon. 2005 is the 2nd best Wimbledon Maria ever played, actually apart from the 04 final the best Wimbledon she ever played, and Venus completely outclassed her. You said on grass it was 50/50 between the two peak to peak, and if you seriously believe that you either have never watched tennis or are a deluded Maria stan.
read it once again

Quote:
except grass Venus vs Masha = 50/50
now pls read more carefully or buy glasses

as for 2003 AO ,on her road to the final was only Henin who was slamless that time and definitely far from her peak

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Nov 16th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #24
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you lost your credibility when became I.Hate.Sharapova , at the same time pretending to be I.luv.Kvitova/Azarenka/Radwanska etc

Venus second serve still is her main weakness, that's why she is not Serena in achievements and everywhere except grass she is not better that her main competitors including Sharapova

Peak Venus will beat anyone on grass, including her sister .... at the same time Peak Venus will lose even to no peak players at AO and RG
Difference is luv .... I don't take this board seriously like you do, so I don't care about credibility .... which you certainly do. You are so serious on here ... oh and extremely defensive

Became I Hate Sharapova I've always despised Sour Face, but I've always loved my Kvitty and Aga and I do like Vika since she's calmed down a lot
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #25
country flag Povin
postcyber

Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future

Maria is a watered version of Venus. Serena plays with Venus a lot, so C beats Sharapova easily. Peak Vee is better in all aspects of the game + 987098 times better at the net
Povin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #26
country flag TheShowMustGoOn
Erm...

TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice TheShowMustGoOn is just really nice

Venus by miles doesn't even need explaining.
TheShowMustGoOn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #27
country flag forehand27

Quote:
read it once again

now pls read more carefully or buy glasses
My apologies, I thought you were saying except on grass where it would be 50/50. You are one to talk though, the way you phrased it could easily be interpreted many ways yet you are the one who interpreted my saying Austin was a shadow of her old self AFTER 1981 as meaning Austin wasnt any good anymore in 1981 itself (rather than after 1981 as I explicably said) and even sent me a bad rep whining about how I could say Austin wasnt that good in 1981.

Quote:
as for 2003 AO ,on her road to the final was only Henin who was slamless that time and definitely far from her peak
Henin's 2nd best year ever was 2003. You epic fail here. Watch that 2003 Australian Open semifinal btw. It was a tremendous match. Henin played first rate tennis, a hell of alot better than she did in her 2006 U.S Open and 2008 Australian Open defeats to Maria which were both average at best for her standards, and Venus was just better.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #28
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
My apologies, I thought you were saying except on grass where it would be 50/50. You are one to talk though, the way you phrased it could easily be interpreted many ways yet you are the one who interpreted my saying Austin was a shadow of her old self AFTER 1981 as meaning Austin wasnt any good anymore in 1981 itself (rather than after 1981 as I explicably said) and even sent me a bad rep whining about how I could say Austin wasnt that good in 1981.

Henin's 2nd best year ever was 2003. You epic fail here. Watch that 2003 Australian Open semifinal btw. It was a tremendous match. Henin played first rate tennis, a hell of alot better than she did in her 2006 U.S Open and 2008 Australian Open defeats to Maria which were both average at best for her standards, and Venus was just better.
Justine is player actually owned by Venus and her best seasons are still 2006-2007

in 2003 Venus was beating a player who was 1) slamless 2) 1-6 vs her .....

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #29
country flag forehand27

So Venus should be faulted for owning one of the greatest players of the last 15 years? 2003 Henin was still a totally new Henin from 2001-2002 where I could see downplaying Venus's wins against, and yes the overall head to head is deceptive and a bit of a joke for that reason. However the fact the new and improved Henin starting what would be her 2nd best year ever in 2003 went down that easily to Venus on slow hard courts, shows just how well Venus was playing that event.

Are you disputing Venus's extremely high level of play at the 2003 Australian Open? Did you watch the event. I would say it is atleast on par with Maria at the 2008 Australian Open, which was also truly outstanding on Maria's part.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #30
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

at people still trotting out Peak Venus's supposedly great movement. Even though she had great raw athleticism, her defence was always extremely inefficient due to her bad anticipation and very low tennis IQ. Maria won the majority of extended rallies in all her non-grass matches against Venus.

Peak Venus wins on grass and quick hardcourts, Maria wins on slow hardcourts and clay. Maria would've been able to get hold of Venus's serve on slower surfaces and probably manage to scrape back most of Venus's first strikes in a rally, and then Maria's superior and less error-prone groundgame would do the rest of the work
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote