Peak Henin vs peak Venus - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Henin wins on all surfaces including grass (aka delusional Henintards) 2 1.74%
Venus wins on all surfaces including clay (aka delusional Venustards) 14 12.17%
Henin wins on all but grass 22 19.13%
Venus wins on all but clay 57 49.57%
They split depending on the surfaces (Henin indoors, rebound ace, clay, Venus grass and medium to fast outdoor courts) 20 17.39%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #31
country flag Geisha

Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Justine obviously wins the clay match and Venus obviously wins the grass match. The hard match is difficult to assess. Justine's fast court skills are often underrated, but there are also a whole slew of speeds for different hardcourt surfaces.

Looking at Venus' peak 2000-2002, she compiled a 90-5 (.947) record on hardcourts, winning a whole slew of important titles, including back-to-back US Opens, the Olympics, Miami, and going undefeated in the American summer circuit twice.

From 2006-2008, Justine went 57-3 (.950) on hardcourts. She played a lot less, but also had some amazing wins, including two Year-End Championships, Toronto, and the US Open. Justine's record becomes a little shaky because she played very well on hardcourts in other periods of her career, but not necessarily when she was at her peak, such as the Athens Olympics and her second best year in 2006.

I don't believe two players can play at their absolute best against each other at the same time, as the sport of tennis works in ways that if you are playing your best, the other person is stopped from doing so, as well. But the 2007 US Open SF match between these two isn't the worst indicator; Venus wasn't at her peak in this match, but she was definitely not riddled with the disease (she ran and ran for days and didn't appear winded) and she wasn't injured.

All in all, Venus wins in tight matches on both hard and carpet.
Advertisement

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #32
country flag Geisha

Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam. View Post
Peak Venus was so confident with her serve, groundies, and movement. All but clay.
Was she really, though? Venus' serve was always inconsistent, even in her peak. She always had aces to match her double faults. Nobody moves better than peak-Venus, and her groundstrokes were lethal at her best, but she even tends to rally more than she should.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #33
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

clay: Venus df Justine 2-6 7-6(5) 7-5 - Amelia Island
Grass: Venus df Justine 3-6 6-2 6-0 - London
Hardcourt: Venus df Justine 6-4 5-7 6-4 - New Haven
Plexi: Venus df Justine 7-5 7-6(6)
Carpet: Venus df Justine 6-2 5-7 6-2
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #34
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

This match happened and Justine won 7-6 6-4 on a hard court. Next.

Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #35
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisha View Post
Justine obviously wins the clay match and Venus obviously wins the grass match. The hard match is difficult to assess. Justine's fast court skills are often underrated, but there are also a whole slew of speeds for different hardcourt surfaces.

Looking at Venus' peak 2000-2002, she compiled a 90-5 (.947) record on hardcourts, winning a whole slew of important titles, including back-to-back US Opens, the Olympics, Miami, and going undefeated in the American summer circuit twice.

From 2006-2008, Justine went 57-3 (.950) on hardcourts. She played a lot less, but also had some amazing wins, including two Year-End Championships, Toronto, and the US Open. Justine's record becomes a little shaky because she played very well on hardcourts in other periods of her career, but not necessarily when she was at her peak, such as the Athens Olympics and her second best year in 2006.

I don't believe two players can play at their absolute best against each other at the same time, as the sport of tennis works in ways that if you are playing your best, the other person is stopped from doing so, as well. But the 2007 US Open SF match between these two isn't the worst indicator; Venus wasn't at her peak in this match, but she was definitely not riddled with the disease (she ran and ran for days and didn't appear winded) and she wasn't injured.

All in all, Venus wins in tight matches on both hard and carpet.
Venus df Lindsay 4-6 7-6 9-7

Venus had anemia in that 2007 Semifinals
Justine had an extra day off while Venus only 1 day. After Venus
Disposed Peak Jaja 7-6 in the third in their Qf.
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #36
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeteer View Post
True this. And the fact that Juju had not-quite-peak-itis in every match she did not humiliate her opponents. So...
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #37
country flag JRena

JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of

AO: Venus 6-4, 3-6 6-3
French: Henin 7-5, 7-5
Wimb: Venus 6-2 1-0 (retirement, abdominal illness)
USO: Venus 7-5, 4-6, 7-6
JRena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #38
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

During her peak year on tour, Justine tanked a match to avoid an ass whooping from Venus. That says it all.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #39
country flag Geisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeteer View Post
Venus df Lindsay 4-6 7-6 9-7

They played at a high level, but none were at their best for the entire portion of the match in 2005. Venus sucked at the beginning of the first two sets and when she got on rolls, Lindsay suddenly stopped winning points...Venus was also a double fault queen, I believe.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #40
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Fifth option seems reasonable. Many Venustards here apparently. Justine in peak form is awesome, certainly not worse than Venus, i would set money on Henin playing AO for instance.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #41
country flag @danieln1

@danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute @danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
ROTFL at your grass, clay, and carpet scores. Baby Henin played peak Venus at Wimbledon in 2001 and 2002 and won a set in one of them, and got 5 games in the other. As for clay peak Venus was drubbed by no name Henin 6-4, 6-1 the first time they played on any surface. Indoors Venus winning for the loss of a mere 5 games you think. Henin actualy won back to back WTA Championships, while Venus won her only one ever after Henin had retired. Venus in no way has a tremendous record on indoor or carpet courts. The only accurate one you listed is probably hard courts, it would be something like that I agree.
Venus at her peak on grass is unbeatable, even Serena would lose there or make it competitive. In 2007 Henin said she was afraid to play Venus in the final, so she gave this excuse because of her loss to Bartoli. Maybe 6-0 6-2 would be too one sided, but it would definetely be a straight sets win for Venus. Carpet is almost as fast as grass, so Venus would win easily there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
I don't think so.

A young Henin played Venus in a Wimbledon final and it was a three set match (yes I know Venus trashed her in the third).

And in clay Henin was the best player of this era by far
Venus won some important titles on red clay, she would lose, but it would be on three sets. I don´t think peak Henin would take peak Venus to three sets on grass...

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens
@danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #42
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
Venus won some important titles on red clay, she would lose, but it would be on three sets. I don´t think peak Henin would take peak Venus to three sets on grass...

Non-peak Henin took peak-Venus to 3 sets on grass in 2001
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #43
country flag MegaDethly

MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of MegaDethly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Justine wins everywhere but grass.
Clearly she doesn't though, does she?
I'll say not one, but two nice things about Henin:
I) she's retired;
II) she hasn't bred yet.
MegaDethly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #44
country flag SunshineSlam

SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of

Peak Cheater would probably find a way to steal the win but Peak Venus is of course the better player.
SunshineSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #45
country flag ~Cherry*Blossom~

~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute

LOL at people making a big deal out of the set Henin won at Wimbledon 2001. Are people forgetting the rain delays and Venus rushing in the second set to get the match finished before the rain. Then she came back out in the third set concentrated and demolished Henin just like she did in the first.

THE ROYAL SAINT - OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT
USO99-FO02-WIM02-USO02-AO03-WIM03-AO05-AO07-USO08-AO09-WIM09-AO10-WIM10-WIM12-USO12-FO13-USO13
WIM00-USO00-WIM01-USO01-WIM05-WIM07-WIM08
•Sometimes I wanna walk in your shoes, do the type of things that I never ever do•
~Cherry*Blossom~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote