Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 316 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #4726
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

If Copenhagen can't quite handle an International,do you suppose that Caro's pals could host one of those new 125Ks that just began this year?A few guest appearances by the Sunshine Queen herself would be great promotional help

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4727
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I really applaud players who play at their home event and at Fed Cup. This isn't about what's good for Caro or Aga personal development as a player. I don't think anything on personal gain should come into it. While I'm at it - I hate the idea of ranking points for any Fed Cup match that has been proposed and I also hate that players at present get any ranking points for the Olympics. You should approach those for your country - not your personal betterment.
I agree that there should be no points for Fed Cup matches. 1) because it's a team competition and 2) because there's no way to fairly distribute points. The best player can for example be part of a poor team. Poor teams with a great player might be eliminated early. And how are they going to reward the competition in the world groups as opposed to those in regional groups who mostly compete against lesser competition?.....A mess.

For the Olympics they should either give no points or more points than they do now. To give fewer points for an Olympic gold than a premier mandatory or premier5 is almost an insult and clearly not in line with the prestige of the event. But giving either no points or more points than they do now accentuates that it's special, which in the minds of the media, the public and most importantly the players it clearly is.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4728
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
If Copenhagen can't quite handle an International,do you suppose that Caro's pals could host one of those new 125Ks that just began this year?A few guest appearances by the Sunshine Queen herself would be great promotional help
Memory serves me right, Caro played and won an ITF event i Odense in 2008 (Odense is Caroline's place of birth). So it has been done before, but I'd say it's HIGHLY unlikely, she'll play and ITF event again, even in Odense or Farum

I'm personally finding it sad, it was not possible to sustain a WTA tournament in Denmark. It was actually off to a good start. In 2010, when the tournament was televised on terrestrial tv (TV2) in prime time, it attracted viewing numbers of up to 20% of the entire population.

Unfortunately, the domestic media coverage in 2011 and 2012 were somewhat less prominent and many articles in the press moaned about, there wasn't enough 'star' names and blah blah.

2011 still went ok (as Caroline won), but as soon Caroline didn't win, then sponsors weren't interested in paying for an event for some pova or vic to win. Or so it at least appears and the tournament had to give up.

It of course boils down to that Denmark and tennis is a one woman game (no disrespect to Frederik Nielsen).

I am though looking forward to Danish media finding out, the Farum license is now being used in Poland and with the Wozniacki and Radwanska families behind the event.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4729
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The WTA has to deal with sponsors, directors, tournament owners, the ITF, management companies, and star players.
Its a lot of juggling, and they cant do whatever they want. Some tournaments would rather pay a star $300,000, and only give the winner $35,000.
Plus management groups want a lot of power, as you can see with ATP not accepting $800,000 from IW.

The WTA wants some say in whats going on, and its impossible to let each player have total freedom
Very well worded.

I also believe that this is why the WTA prevents the top players to play wherever they want. It has nothing to do with "vulturing" the tournaments, something about which the WTA certainly don't care, and everything to do with the distribution of money.
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4730
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I agree that there should be no points for Fed Cup matches. 1) because it's a team competition and 2) because there's no way to fairly distribute points. The best player can for example be part of a poor team. Poor teams with a great player might be eliminated early. And how are they going to reward the competition in the world groups as opposed to those in regional groups who mostly compete against lesser competition?.....A mess.
Yes, it would be a big mess
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4731
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
Very well worded.

I also believe that this is why the WTA prevents the top players to play wherever they want. It has nothing to do with "vulturing" the tournaments, something about which the WTA certainly don't care, and everything to do with the distribution of money.
"Vulturing" is one of the GM terms, meant to insult top players.
In GM, they use that for healthy young, top level players, who want to play a full schedule.
What is Radwanska supposed to do, take a month off during the season?
Caro did that this summer ( I still dont understand why), and it didnt help her results any
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4732
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In GM, they use that for healthy young, top level players, who want to play a full schedule.
Caro did that this summer ( I still dont understand why), and it didnt help her results any

This is right. Nobody understand. I think because of Rory, to spend more time with him..hate him so much.
Saraya! is online now View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4733
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, in the case of Radwanska taking a month off wouldn't have been such a bad idea because she really ran out of steam in the latter months of 2012. I don't think there is a set of rules that applies to everyone. You just have to listen to your body. If you don't you'll pay for it later on in your career while if you do you'll increase your chance of longevity.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4734
country flag Achernar

Quote:
I agree absolutely. That's why I use "vulturing" under quotation marks. Only semi-retired players and Sharapova aren't "vulturing" anyway.

Almost all the other players are playing at least 20 events. The average of tournaments played by the players in the Top100 is 23. The average played by Top10 players is 20, or 21 if you don't take into account Sharapova and Serena. So, most players are playing between 21 and 23 events, as are doing Radwanska and Caroline.

Ultimately no player can know exactly how well they would do at the beginning of a year. So they suscribe to many events, hoping to find a balance between their good performances and their bad ones. The more confident a player feel in her skills and in her capability to go deep in the tournaments, the less tournaments she will play. I guess, and hope, that many players are looking to play many tournaments for the simple reason that they enjoy being on a Court.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4735
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
This is right. Nobody understand. I think because of Rory, to spend more time with him..hate him so much.
He makes her happy, so he's ok for me. It would be different if he treated her like shit or go behind her back to do a Tiger and boink other women, but as far as I know this is not the case. The fact that many don't find him handsome enough for her is completely irrelevant to me. We don't have to find him attractive - she does.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4736
country flag Achernar

Quote:
Well, you can't blame Caroline for having a sentimental life, isn't? She's a grow up woman and it's her responsibility to find a good balance between her professional and personal life.

About the month off, I believe that she's listening too much to her criticisms. People were saying "she would never win a slam if she doesn't restrict the number of tournaments she plays". So she cut them off. Forgetting that she's at her best when she plays a lot.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4737
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
He makes her happy, so he's ok for me. It would be different if he treated her like shit or go behind her back to do a Tiger and boink other women, but as far as I know this is not the case. The fact that many don't find him handsome enough for her is completely irrelevant to me. We don't have to find him attractive - she does.
All his words about her, all the pictures show..he really loves her...sitting in her box he support her with every point, but I hate him. So ugly...
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4738
country flag Saraya!

Quote:
Well, you can't blame Caroline for having a sentimental life, isn't? She's a grow up woman and it's her responsibility to find a good balance between her professional and personal life.

About the month off, I believe that she's listening too much to her criticisms. People were saying "she would never win a slam if she doesn't restrict the number of tournaments she plays". So she cut them off. Forgetting that she's at her best when she plays a lot.
True point.

But this time seems to be over now. Piotr go the way back to the roots and will help Caro a lot to found the right way.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #4739
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Well, you can't blame Caroline for having a sentimental life, insn't? She's a grow up woman and it's her responsibility to find a good balance between her professional and personal life.

It all depends on how far she gets in the tournaments she plays. If she commits to more than 20 tournaments and makes the semis or better on nearly every occasion it might get a bit too much. Especially considering that she rarely wipes opponents from the courts but is a "grinder" who has to work hard in most of her matches. But if she loses early in most events it makes for a different set of circumstances. It's all about finding the right balance, and it's hard to get it exactly right because you don't know in advance how well you're gonna do.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4740
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
All his words about her, all the pictures show..he really loves her...sitting in her box he support her with every point, but I hate him. So ugly...
Well, people's reaction to all this makes nonsense of the idea that they put forward when it's convenient that "looks aren't everything." When it comes down to it "looks ARE everything" in the minds of most people. So superficial...
Closed Thread