Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Career Slam 77 59.23%
5 titles of the same slam 53 40.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #61
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Only 3 players have, and probably ever will, win the Marbella slam. It's the stuff of legends.

I'd take 5 slams. Only having one on each surface is rather telling, and I really would be shocked if Maria didn't win another slam.
Finally someone who understands that Marbella is the only important thing in WTA. Career Grand Slam is a random excuse for wimps unless of course your first name is Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Lindsay Davenport on the Wertheim tweet ("what unites the likes of Davenport, Seles, Henin, Hingis - they've never won CGS") answered

Lindsay Davenport ‏@LDavenport76

I believe winning a career grand slam puts her at a higher level in history books even though (so far) she's 'only' won 4 slams.

It's competent opinion.....
Davenport never won Marbella. So much for being "competent"
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #62
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
absolutely wrong, because player who could win 4 Slams on clay may suck on hard and grass and considered to be a clay warm and not taken seriously anywhere except Roland Garros ....

Actually better player is the one who can win more titles, win on all surfaces , be competitive on all Majors. Lindsay Davenport was a much better player than Kuerten , same for Capriati

That's my point

If in your opinion Kuerten is better than these 2 , nobody should take your posts serious anymore
I never said that because you can't compare ATP to WTA players, Linsday has other intangibles that solidify her career and her place in HOF.

Your point only works when you count "being competitive" stuff, I'd rather be considered one of the greatest grass players with few Wimbledon titles behind my belt then "be competitive all year"

BTW, You can't diminish Gustavo's achievements because he proved that he's great clay player and only one who managed to beat Agassi and Sampras on route to the title, it's like beating Martina and Steffi to get YEC title in WTA
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #63
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite quote on this topic is still this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
She's proved that she can only win a slam once on each surface...that to me is a fluke, she's never been able to repeat her success at a slam more than once. The fact that 4 slams were on in 8 years suggests a vulture to me.

Until she has won 3 of those slams again I'll remain unconvinced.
To bad he's banned so we'll have to live on without his insightful comments.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #64
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your point only works when you count "being competitive" stuff, I'd rather be considered one of the greatest grass players with few Wimbledon titles behind my belt then "be competitive all year"
so you really think that player who wins 5 Wimbledons and who is always beaten everywhere except grass in early rounds and considered to be hardcourt and claycourt mug is a greater player than all-surface players?

Venus Williams was in all Finals and won Slams on 2 surfaces, so her 5 Wimbledons are not diminished by sucking on all other surfaces , that's why she is great ....

Quote:
To bad he's banned so we'll have to live on without his insightful comments
his reincarnation is already posting in this thread ,

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #65
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so you really think that player who wins 5 Wimbledons and who is always beaten everywhere except grass in early rounds and considered to be hardcourt and claycourt mug is a greater player than all-surface players?

Venus Williams was in all Finals and won Slams on 2 surfaces, so her 5 Wimbledons are not diminished by sucking on all other surfaces , that's why she is great ....
You can't possibly win 5 Wimbledons and suck everywhere else (even Pironkova isn't that bad ). It would be most possible with FO, but still a long shot. Sometimes it's not all about the surface
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #66
country flag Mixal

Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
Ever heard of drawing conclusions by implication? Since pova won FO, I have never seen career slam mentioned in TF than anytime in the annals of the forum.
True. But we can also have normal discussion about this topic if we want. It's a legit question.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #67
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

5>4.

And generally I find ranking more important than slams...
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #68
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
You can't possibly win 5 Wimbledons and suck everywhere else (even Pironkova isn't that bad ). It would be most possible with FO, but still a long shot. Sometimes it's not all about the surface

Kuerten managed to win 3 Roland Garros titles and never was in SF at any other Major

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #69
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

IF outside of slam wins everything is equal between them i.e number of titles, weeks at #1, YEC titles, OG medals, FC trophies, h2h then yes but if not the player who got better resume on top of slam wins is better. it's all about numbers at the end, simple as that
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #70
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future

I would rather have 5 of the same.
SV_Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #71
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
IF outside of slam wins everything is equal between them i.e number of titles, weeks at #1, YEC titles, OG medals, FC trophies, h2h then yes but if not the player who get better resume on top of slam wins is better. it's all about numbers at the end, simple as that
in this case i agree , if player has 5 Slams and was very close to CGS (Like Hingis) she is slightly better than player with CGS and just 4 Slams

but for instance Clijsters with her 3 Us Open+ AO isn't better than Sharapova's All-4 , because she wasn't anywhere near to CGS

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #72
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's Wimbledon, then I'd rather have 5 Wimbledons!
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #73
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

5 > 4.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #74
country flag Sharapowerr

Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold Sharapowerr is a splendid one to behold

Venus is much older so Maria has still time
Sharapowerr is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #75
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
5 slam titles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 slam titles

Career Slam is overrated, it was created to say nicely that you're not good at any particular surface but somehow managed to get 4 fluke slam wins. On the other hand Calendar Career Slams(or Calendar Career Golden Slam) shows that player was GOAT all year and beat everyone.

damn, i voted for CS by mistake
you know that your post has no logic at all, don´t you?

it mean then that Serena´s FO is fluke, Justine´s AO is fluke, Clijsters´s AO is fluke,...

Kvitova, Jankovic, Cepelova, Hantuchova, Ivanovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote